Duff McKagan defends misunderstood '80s lyrics

21 hours ago, sweetdudejim5 said:

Wow. What an embarrassing group of fans that Guns fans are. My thing with this group was always the music, the vocals, etc. Not the kind of vile stuff that would sometimes come up in their lyrics. I didn't realize that was what so many people got off on. And I didn't realize that a lot of Guns fans think that it's a bad thing to move on from some of the sentiments expressed in their earlier material.

If this is who their fan base is (and for the record I know it's only a small, small sliver) then perhaps all the better that they don't give you guys new music, as you'd probably bitch that these 50-something year old men were maybe pushing a more positive lyrical agenda and therefore a lot of you guys would be saying what "pussies" they are.

My guess is, if at some point people are bitching about this pie-in-the-sky new material, it won't be due to the band having a more positive lyrical agenda. It will likely be due to the new material sucking pretty hard.

12 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

It's pretty bizarre that so many fans have obviously stuck by the band despite the One In A Millon lyrics and the rest, but then get all enraged now that Axl and Duff have matured and are expressing healthier outlooks on life and the world. If Trump means that much to you then get another band, because face it they don't like him at all and at least have the honesty to say so, unlike some other artists who would keep their mouths shut in case they lost fans over their political views.

Soon, Duff will be telling us that if we hear the word "fuck" on AFD, it's because that's what we, as fans, want to hear, not because it's necessarily representative of what the band was trying to say. #yeahrightduff

Edited by todreamofwolves

12 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

It's pretty bizarre that so many fans have obviously stuck by the band despite the One In A Millon lyrics and the rest, but then get all enraged now that Axl and Duff have matured and are expressing healthier outlooks on life and the world. If Trump means that much to you then get another band, because face it they don't like him at all and at least have the honesty to say so, unlike some other artists who would keep their mouths shut in case they lost fans over their political views.

You actually have it wrong.  The Trump supporters stay quiet or they're attacked by the media and called racist sexist etc.  Not a fan of Kanye but he has balls coming out as a Trump supporter especially being black.  And see what happened to him?  The media speculated about his mental health and he got ripped up and down.  Yet if he was anti Trump he'd be applauded and invited on the View, Colbert, Kimmel and the rest of the anti Trump left wing media.   I love GnR and I am a Trump supporter so yes I don't like to hear my favorite band get on the bandwagon to appease the left wing with the rest of the Hollywood elite.  I got into them because they went against the grain.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, Swampfox said:

I love GnR and I am a Trump supporter so yes I don't like to hear my favorite band get on the bandwagon to appease the left wing with the rest of the Hollywood elite.  I got into them because they went against the grain.

Trump is a part of the hollywood elite though. Just saying. Nobody is in a bandwagon if they don't support Trump and supporting Trump doesn't make you in any way anti-establishment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Can we please not use this thread to discuss Trump, there is a thread in Anything Goes section for US politics. Please use that.

Thank you :)

Sure but the thread started with Duff saying "None of our friends said grab em by the pussy.  Just sayin.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, 31illusions said:

Artists whose jobs are NOT political should keep their mouth shut while performing. Fans pay to see them do their job, not preach to them on volatile subjects like politics.

If you apply that logic there would be virtually no music you could listen to, so that's obviously nonsense. i can't think of one band, of any importance, that haven't touched on politics in one way or another. With that moronic, imbecilic, borderline psychotic maniac in office in the USA it's no surprise that most American musicians are saying something right now. He's pretty much what any artistic and creative person have spent their formative years rallying against - and this is absolutely going to come across in their art, like it or not. 

Your privilege as a consumer is that you can choose to ignore their art if you wish. Unfortunately that may well leave you leave you consuming from a very limited pool of absolute shit who labour under the belief that things are going well however. Most creatives are going to call this bullshit we're living with for what it is, and that's their right as a human being. If that's something you can't deal with, it's probably time to stop listening to music. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Yes, however we don't need to derail the thread by focusing on the Trump. Just saying.

25 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

With that moronic, imbecilic, borderline psychotic maniac in office in the USA it's no surprise that most American musicians are saying something right now. He's pretty much what any artistic and creative person have spent their formative years rallying against - and this is absolutely going to come across in their art, like it or not. . 

Evidently you don't read very well and don't know to follow the rules (see above post) All I hear is blah, blah blah.

Edited by 31illusions
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

If you apply that logic there would be virtually no music you could listen to, so that's obviously nonsense. i can't think of one band, of any importance, that haven't touched on politics in one way or another. With that moronic, imbecilic, borderline psychotic maniac in office in the USA it's no surprise that most American musicians are saying something right now. He's pretty much what any artistic and creative person have spent their formative years rallying against - and this is absolutely going to come across in their art, like it or not. 

Your privilege as a consumer is that you can choose to ignore their art if you wish. Unfortunately that may well leave you leave you consuming from a very limited pool of absolute shit who labour under the belief that things are going well however. Most creatives are going to call this bullshit we're living with for what it is, and that's their right as a human being. If that's something you can't deal with, it's probably time to stop listening to music. 

I guess times change.

Yet if he was anti Trump he'd be applauded and invited on the View, Colbert, Kimmel and the rest of the anti Trump left wing media.   I love GnR and I am a Trump supporter so yes I don't like to hear my favorite band get on the bandwagon to appease the left wing with the rest of the Hollywood elite.  I got into them because they went against the grain.

I don't think it would be hopping on a bandwagon though as much as it would be railing against a person they deem ill-fitted for the job as leader of the free nation, no?   

To me "going against the grain" is parallel to "speaking honestly if you have something you want to say", as in speaking up if you think there is something truly worth speaking up about regardless of who agrees or disagrees or the amount of people doing either one - and if that is a man they deem ill-fitted for the job as leader of the US to me I see no reason to stifle honest feelings and conclusions

To me it is the same as making a song about Civil War, except here it is a much more specific notion

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I don't think it would be hopping on a bandwagon though as much as it would be railing against a person they deem ill-fitted for the job as leader of the free nation, no?

Are there any free nations in the world? Yours isn't, since you have publicly executed your own president 50 years ago.

18 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Kurt Cobain?

Do you know another Cobain?

Edited by Drexl
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drexl said:

Do you know another Cobain?

Dude, I am not from the US. Maybe there is a senator or any other local politican named Cobain which is not known worldwide who did Duff recently call a republican. (Yes, I just saw your are not from the US either). 

I wasn’t expecting you to explain a statement made by Duff in 2019 by any quote Kurt Cobain did 25-30 years agao :facepalm: 

Edited by zigzagbigbag

7 hours ago, Swampfox said:

I guess times change.

Not really! He's comparing Iron Maiden to a political organisation in terms of how they operate, not saying he doesn't like politics in music. They wrote Civil War not long after this, so have always been somewhat political. More so now of course, but these are fucked up times, so it would be surprising if they weren't. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 31illusions said:

Evidently you don't read very well and don't know to follow the rules (see above post) All I hear is blah, blah blah.

I love being told not to mention Trump by someone with a big picture of him on their post. 

Unfortunately it would seem your favourite band are rather anti-Trump. It's something you're going to have to process. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Not really! He's comparing Iron Maiden to a political organisation in terms of how they operate, not saying he doesn't like politics in music. They wrote Civil War not long after this, so have always been somewhat political. More so now of course, but these are fucked up times, so it would be surprising if they weren't. 

I'm sorry, but I don't see anything political in 'Civil War'. That's just an anti-war song, they don't call anyone up. That's why it's so powerful, because it's sincere and without any agenda.

2 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Dude, I am not from the US. Maybe there is a senator or any other local politican named Cobain which is not known worldwide who did Duff recently call a republican. (Yes, I just saw your are not from the US either). 

I wasn’t expecting you to explain a statement made by Duff in 2019 by any quote Kurt Cobain did 25-30 years agao :facepalm: 

Glad you didn't take it too seriously.

54 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

You know how irony does (not) work in writing?! Whatever. 

Sorry it hurt you that bad. Who are the bastards who say Germans have no sense of humor? How they dare to?

• Haha 1

Just now, Drexl said:

I'm sorry, but I don't see anything political in 'Civil War'. That's just an anti-war song, they don't call anyone up. That's why it's so powerful, because it's sincere and without any agenda.

How can you not see anything political in 'Civil War'? :question:

It is heavily politically charged with the mention of Kennedy's assassination, Vietnam War, "your power hungry selling soldiers...", "carry the cross of homicide"....

But just like with other songs, the band oftenly backpedal on the motivation of their lyrics.... Not sure why this happens though.

Axl: "We dedicate that to all the military people that are here tonight. I think anybody in their right mind, anybody that has a brain at all, wasn't too excited with the concept of going to war but once we are in it, I think you're a fucking asshole not to fucking root for our side!".... "I mean I met all this people 'we shouldn't be having a fucking war'.... well, it's too late asshole!"

By 1991, there was the Gulf War going on, led by the USA with a coalition of nations against Irak.

i support Duff McKagan we live in a new era now where woman deserve to be treated equal to men but I hope this means they drop the song attitude from the set it has  a lyric  "Inside your feeble brain there's probably a whore
If you don't shut your mouth you're gonna feel the floor"

as a woman in the year 2019 it offends me but I understand if they want to keep it because it a classic song.

Edited by TupacShakur