Jump to content
Original

Duff McKagan defends misunderstood '80s lyrics

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Acknowledging that the ISE lyrics we written when they were young dumb kids would have been a FAR better way to go about it than making up a complete lie and expecting people to believe it. 

If Duff had said "Look, we didn't know any better when I wrote those lyrics" the problem would have been solved. Instead, his answer plays the interviewer, the fans and woman in general for fools. 

To be fair to Duff though, nowhere in that interview does he say the lyrics to ISE were misunderstood.

Although this is a flat-out lie: "I don't remember anyone I hang out with using the N-word, or the C-word."

He does know we all own a copy of Appetite and UYI, doesn't he??!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how he is ''defending'' anything. He is explaining how things were for him back then and that there was no ''weinstein'' shit going on as far as he knew.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I don't see how he is ''defending'' anything. He is explaining how things were for him back then and that there was no ''weinstein'' shit going on as far as he knew.

he's lying his ass off in that interview saying the ISE lyrics were written jokingly. He was just kidding and other lies. No one used the C and N word that he knew about (except the lead singer of his band)

Also I think Izzy sold girls on top of being a drug dealer, he makes it sound like they were good guys which I seriously doubt. He's defending their image with bullshit.

 

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rovim said:

he's lying his ass off in that interview saying the ISE lyrics were written jokingly. He was just kidding and other lies. No one used the C and N word that he knew about (except the lead singer of his band)

Who says they weren't? People here are so full of themselves assuming shit and thinking they know everything even though they never even met those guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Who says they weren't? People here are so full of themselves assuming shit and thinking they know everything even though they never even met those guys.

Are you high mate? :lol:

No one's saying they know everything. But we can say with certainty Duff's full of shit, they definitely said cunt and n*gger and weren't simply "good guys".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EvanG said:

Who says they weren't? People here are so full of themselves assuming shit and thinking they know everything even though they never even met those guys.

I think I know what you mean but no, it wasn't said jokingly.

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Are you high mate? :lol:

No one's saying they know everything. But we can say with certainty Duff's full of shit, they definitely said cunt and n*gger and weren't simply "good guys".

to be fair I kinda know everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Towelie said:

To be fair to Duff though, nowhere in that interview does he say the lyrics to ISE were misunderstood.

Although this is a flat-out lie: "I don't remember anyone I hang out with using the N-word, or the C-word."

He does know we all own a copy of Appetite and UYI, doesn't he??!

And lies as well!  Im sure he was with axl when they were recording oiam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

to be fair I kinda know everything.

Oh, I know that. I also know that you know that I know that you know that I know everything.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Oldest Goat said:

Oh, I know that. I also know that you know that I know that you know that I know everything.

I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Are you high mate? :lol:

No one's saying they know everything. But we can say with certainty Duff's full of shit, they definitely said cunt and n*gger and weren't simply "good guys".

I was yesterday, but I'm good now. But seriously, on the previous page someone is stating that Duff is saying this for financial reasons... this is so stupid. I don't see anything wrong with his response. I don't think he's a misogynist, I don't think that stupid line in ISO should be taken seriously. Whether or not they were saying those two specific words all the time, who knows... I was too young to hang with them back then and I was living on the other side of the world so how can I even comment on that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I was yesterday, but I'm good now. But seriously, on the previous page someone is stating that Duff is saying this for financial reasons... this is so stupid. I don't see anything wrong with his response. I don't think he's a misogynist, I don't think that stupid line in ISO should be taken seriously. Whether or not they were saying those two specific words all the time, who knows... I was too young to hang with them back then and I was living on the other side of the world so how can I even comment on that?

I could be wrong but I read that post as speculating that may be part of Duff's rationale.

I'm fine with all their lyrics and don't find them sexist or whatever because as a listener I come to terms with them through how I interpret them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were all jagoffs back in the day. This is common knowledge, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I was yesterday, but I'm good now. But seriously, on the previous page someone is stating that Duff is saying this for financial reasons... this is so stupid. I don't see anything wrong with his response. I don't think he's a misogynist, I don't think that stupid line in ISO should be taken seriously. Whether or not they were saying those two specific words all the time, who knows... I was too young to hang with them back then and I was living on the other side of the world so how can I even comment on that?

Not for financial reasons but maybe cause Duff doesn't want to take responsibility for what he wrote decades ago cause now he's like... aware and shit and seems to care a lot about being a better person and spread the word but the way he does that here is cowardly and insincere imo and most of all unneeded, he can do that without disowning his past plus how many times has he sang Attitude for example and was he singing it jokingly? the 80's were kinda a sexist time and Appetite lyrically described how the band lived and honestly you could say they were a sexist band.

 

Edited by Rovim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Not for financial reasons but maybe cause Duff doesn't want to take responsibility for what he wrote decades ago cause now he's like... aware and shit and seems to care a lot about being a better person and spread the word but the way he does that here is cowardly and insincere imo and most of all unneeded, he can do that without disowning his past plus how many times has he sang Attitude for example and did he sang it jokingly? the 80's were kinda a sexist time and Appetite lyrically described how the band lived and honestly you could say they were a sexist band.

But I don't know if that is his past. The thing is... I don't know them. People here assume so much and think they know those guys so well because of what they have read. I try to be more open minded. Duff was raised by women, doesn't mean he can't be sexist, but I have a problem putting a label on someone I don't know enough about to make such a statement. They probably weren't always respectful to people, including women, but I don't think he is arguing that. That doesn't mean they were pulling Weinstein shit and that is what he is speaking out against.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, EvanG said:

But I don't know if that is his past. The thing is... I don't know them. People here assume so much and think they know those guys so well because of what they have read. I try to be more open minded. Duff was raised by women, doesn't mean he can't be sexist, but I have a problem putting a label on someone I don't know enough about to make such a statement. They probably weren't always respectful to people, including women, but I don't think he is arguing that. That doesn't mean they were pulling Weinstein shit and that is what he is speaking out against.

technical as always but technically yeah I don't know the man it's possible the lyrics were a joke and Duff wasn't sexist at all and was super respectful of women so to clarify it is my opinion, based on the kind of band and era and the subject matter of the tunes and how I interpret the lyrics and what I do know about the band and it's members that Duff 2.0 is very different to the man he was before. Older and sober with a family and values that he cultivated and wants to live by and perhaps for others to live by as well.

I will say this: sometimes you don't need proof to get the gist of it, of how it was. You kinda get the picture. If it walks like a duck. I realize that could be dangerous to assume shit in some cases but this is a sleazy rock n' roll band from the 80's with books written by most of it's members, with video interviews and some credible information about the band but like I said it's just the way I see it (and many others in this thread it seems)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

And lies as well!  Im sure he was with axl when they were recording oiam.

Even if he wasn't there when the vocals were recorded, he sure as hell was at the CBGB show when they performed it live.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rovim said:

technical as always but technically yeah I don't know the man it's possible the lyrics were a joke and Duff wasn't sexist at all and was super respectful of women so to clarify it is my opinion, based on the kind of band and era and the subject matter of the tunes and how I interpret the lyrics and what I do know about the band and it's members that Duff 2.0 is very different to the man he was before. Older and sober with a family and values that he cultivated and wants to live by and perhaps for others to live by as well.

I will say this: sometimes you don't need proof to get the gist of it, of how it was. You kinda get the picture. If it walks like a duck. I realize that could be dangerous to assume shit in some cases but this is a sleazy rock n' roll band from the 80's with books written by most of it's members, with video interviews and some credible information about the band but like I said it's just the way I see it (and many others in this thread it seems)

Having sex with lots of women and having a wild lifestyle is not the same as sexism or misogyny. Some stupid line in a song doesn't change that. People shouldn't take everything so literally. The only thing that would fit those labels are the stories about Axl beating his girlfriends. I don't know if those stories are true, but even if they are, it has nothing to do with Duff. Regarding this topic, I have watched the video and I don't really see how he is ''defending'' anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What Duff says about no one using the "n" word may be true. The fact that Axl used it in OIAM doesn't necessarily mean that he used it outside of that or that he used it all the time or that the other members and their friends used it. Duff knows it was used in OIAM, he isn't dump.

As for the "c" word (assuming that he means "cunt") they have used that one in public speech, so Duff glosses stuff over here.

---------

Duff was there when OIAM was written, according to Axl (they were at West Arkeen's house).

 

 

Edited by Blackstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

What Duff says about no one using the "n" word may be true. The fact that Axl used it in OIAM doesn't necessarily mean that he used it outside of that or that he used it all the time or that the other members and their friends used it. Duff knows it was used in OIAM, he isn't dump.

No, I don't think that's a word they used. He discusses it in his book:

Quote

...a song Axl brought in lyrics for called One In A Million. When he first showed them to us, I cringed at some of the words-especially n*****s. It wasn't that I thought Axl held racist views-there was never any question on that front. I realized Axl's lyrics represented a third-person observation about what Reagan-era America had become: a nation of name-callers, a land of fear. It was just a word my mouth would not form.

If I'm not mistaken, his brother in law was black too. And he beat up a guy for calling Slash a n****r.

Edited by Lio
Forgot the filter.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, EvanG said:

Having sex with lots of women and having a wild lifestyle is not the same as sexism or misogyny. Some stupid line in a song doesn't change that. People shouldn't take everything so literally. The only thing that would fit those labels are the stories about Axl beating his girlfriends. I don't know if those stories are true, but even if they are, it has nothing to do with Duff. Regarding this topic, I have watched the video and I don't really see how he is ''defending'' anything.

yeah I know the difference between having sex with lots of women and being a sexist. The line isn't stupid to me, you seem to try to diminish it's significance but I think in this case it is literal: it literally means what it means in the tone Axl sings it and probably it was meant to invoke that vibe of you know... how easy it was for them, Duff in this case to use women as pretty much sex toys not that all those groupies were innocent virgins. That's my take on it. I didn't say Duff was ever violent towards women but that there's a pretty good chance the turn around bitch I got a use for you line wasn't written as a joke at all. Appetite was in a way at least partially like a diary of how they lived, almost biographic in nature. It's So Easy doesn't come off to me as a joke like Used To Love Her for example.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rovim said:

yeah I know the difference between having sex with lots of women and being a sexist. The line isn't stupid to me, you seem to try to diminish it's significance but I think in this case it is literal: it literally means what it means in the tone Axl sings it and probably it was meant to invoke that vibe of you know... how easy it was for them, Duff in this case to use women as pretty much sex toys not that all those groupies were innocent virgins. That's my take on it. I didn't say Duff was ever violent towards women but that there's a pretty good chance the turn around bitch I got a use for you wasn't written as a joke at all. Appetite was in a way at least partially like a diary of how they lived, almost biographic in nature. It's So Easy doesn't come off to me as a joke like Used To Love Her for example.

Nor did the band think of it as a joke, either, but as you say, more descriptive of their lives at the time: http://www.a-4-d.com/t73-it-s-so-easy

And apparently, Axl wrote the obscene verse, not Duff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

yeah I know the difference between having sex with lots of women and being a sexist. The line isn't stupid to me, you seem to try to diminish it's significance but I think in this case it is literal: it literally means what it means in the tone Axl sings it and probably it was meant to invoke that vibe of you know... how easy it was for them, Duff in this case to use women as pretty much sex toys not that all those groupies were innocent virgins. That's my take on it. I didn't say Duff was ever violent towards women but that there's a pretty good chance the turn around bitch I got a use for you wasn't written as a joke at all. Appetite was in a way at least partially like a diary of how they lived, almost biographic in nature. It's So Easy doesn't come off to me as a joke like Used To Love Her for example.

I agree. But he says that specifically that line was tongue in cheek, maybe he's lying, maybe he's telling the truth. I guess we will never know.

I'm not trying to diminish it, I just don't like that line, like most of the lyrics in that song. I don't find it to be offensive even if it is not a joke, but it's just a stupid line. I think it's a great song, but terrible lyrics, like most of Duff's lyrics. But that's subjective. And I don't see why Duff is being accused of being a sexist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Nor did the band think of it as a joke, either, but as you say, more descriptive of their lives at the time: http://www.a-4-d.com/t73-it-s-so-easy

And apparently, Axl wrote the obscene verse, not Duff. 

I believe that by saying he wrote "the obscene verse" Axl meant the "I see you standing there ... won't you just fuck off" part, because Duff has clearly stated that he wrote the "Turn around bitch..." verse in this interview (at 11:34 min. mark):

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I believe that by saying he wrote "the obscene verse" Axl meant the "I see you standing there ... won't you just fuck off" part, because Duff has clearly stated that he wrote the "Turn around bitch..." verse in this interview (at 11:34 min. mark):

 

These interviews hes doing and having to answer to the lyrics is really stupid :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×