Thoughts on the 'Essentials' Apple Music playlist?

On streaming services, the 'essentials' playlist is the modern equivalent of a greatest hits or best of album. When I am recommended a band or artist, the first thing I do is usually check out the essentials playlist to see what they are all about.  

I know that the fans have a very negative outlook of the 2004 Greatest Hits album. So I was curious to see what you guys think of the playlist and what material it presents to casual listeners or people checking out the band for the first time: 

1. Shadow of Your Love

2. Welcome to the Jungle

3. Paradise City

4. You Could Be Mine

5. November Rain

6. Sweet Child O' Mine

7. Patience

8. Don't Cry (Original)

9. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

10. Mr. Brownstone

11. Civil War

12. Used to Love Her

13. It's So Easy

14. Live and Let Die

15. Estranged

16. My Michelle

17. Yesterdays

18. Rocket Queen

19. Better

20. 14 Years

21. Nightrain

22. You're Crazy

23. Don't Cry (Original) (Yes, it is listed twice in the playlist.)

24. Chinese Democracy

25. Out ta Get Me

26. Coma

Link: https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/pl.363a83e3a12c4159a26b648b22c311f5?app=music

Pretty much covers all the well known songs, but also has some deep cuts thrown in (Coma! 14 Years!) 

Discuss below! 

Edited by History2010
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, donny said:

KOHD and LALD are above Rocket queen and Better.

my magic unicorn says that is incorrect. 

KOHD and LALD are far bigger songs in GNRs live set. I firmly believe that if they didn't play KOHD and LALD but they played RQ, people would be disappointed. RQ (without the giant extended solo) is a much better song, but it's not as much of a showpiece KOHD with the sing along chorus / end and LALD with all the fire etc.

I agree with the list though! Pretty good, and CD and Better are deservingly included! I could have chosen other songs from each album but if this was GNRs best of all those years ago, it would have been much better. Only positive of the 2004 best of was that it reminded me about the Spaghetti incident and Ain't it fun, which is one of my favourite songs.

14 minutes ago, default_ said:

This is a official playlist? Thats a weird one, for sure. 

Not sure it is put together by the band or label, just Apple music people. I mean, it's not that far off from what the 'average' person probably knows. Sure a couple songs are deep cuts, but most "casual" hardrock fans have more than likely heard the first 11 tracks. Mine wouldn't be too too far off, but it would probably include some live tracks (at least ones available to us, if i had the band's and label's reach it would probably only be live tracks from the Appetite and UYI tour :p)

• Like 1

Surprised it doesnt have SIDHY. Was the last grandoise video they did. I thought they would include the other songs from videos they made, being the garden and garden of eden. Im under the impression if the band had to sign off on it why axl didnt chose more than 1 CD song. Which makes me wonder if the band as part of their next album will focus more on a rock/guitar driven album rather than go back to what CD was.

Edited by Sydney Fan

The band doesn't have anything to do with these playlists, it's just Apple Music editors curating a selection for you to listen. I think Spotify has similiar playlists. They shuffle it around from time to time with emphasis on new music, that's why SOYL is on the list currently. 

It's an okay list, but it's weird that The Spaghetti Incident isn't represented at all. I'd add Down On The Farm, Don't Damn Me, Double Talkin Jive,  Locomotive, There Was A Time and This I Love in there. But if they're allowed to put only 26 songs there, I guess it's an okay list. Just replace the extra Don't Cry with something that I mentioned.

6 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Surprised it doesnt have SIDHY. Was the last grandoise video they did. I thought they would include the other songs from videos they made, being the garden and garden of eden. Im under the impression if the band had to sign off on it why axl didnt chose more than 1 CD song. Which makes me wonder if the band as part of their next album will focus more on a rock/guitar driven album rather than go back to what CD was.

The playlist has two songs from CD. Chinese Democracy and Better