Sons of Apollo (Bumblefoots Band)

RussTCB

10 hours ago, moreblack said:

I dunno. Portnoy's kinda the star of every band he's in. :P

He’s the reason I’ve gotten into SOA and many other bands. My personal favorite drummer of all time, and is now one of my dads after I introduced him to Dream Theater. Portnoy covering King Crimson songs got me into that band before I saw the reference in JoJo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rovim said:

But the vocalist of this band is really bad imo anyway and Bumble said it best in a very recent interview about this new album: great playing, bad songs and I 100% agree with him. (only heard the single but I won't be listening to it again)

Wait, Bumble said that about his own band???

Edited by Amir
Double post

Just now, RussTCB said:

He was obviously joking... 

Serious question: what makes it obvious he was joking? this is the way he usually talks in interviews, he just says what he thinks. Doesn't seem like one of his jokes. Do you think it's obvious cause there is no way someone will say such a thing about their own music? but that's so Bumble.

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Serious question: what makes it obvious he was joking? this is the way he usually talks in interviews, he just says what he thinks. Doesn't seem like one of his jokes. Do you think it's obvious cause there is no way someone will say such a thing about their own music? but that's so Bumble.

Well.... Two things make me think that:

1) the actual quote, which is "...bad songs (laughs)..." 

2) the audio of the interview itself where it's clear that Ron is joking. 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Well.... Two things make me think that:

1) the actual quote, which is "...bad songs (laughs)..." 

2) the audio of the interview itself where it's clear that Ron is joking. 

Heard the audio, read the (laughs) thing. I still think it was serious. But maybe I'm an idiot.

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Heard the audio, read the (laughs) thing. I still think it was serious. But maybe I'm an idiot.

Maybe he said it as a passive aggressive dig to Derek? The trouble is when you have multiple virtuosos in one band, everyone wants to be the one steering the ship, and sometimes certain band members overstate their importance to the overall band. I think Ron has had so much shit in bands in the past, he just wants to keep the peace and have something that doesn't implode. But he probably feels that SOA could be better if he were calling the shots more, and as Ron is my sole reason for having an interest in this band, I'm inclinded to agree. He is a terrific songwriter and I don't think he should be playing second fiddle to a virtuosic keyboard nerd.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Maybe he said it as a passive aggressive dig to Derek? The trouble is when you have multiple virtuosos in one band, everyone wants to be the one steering the ship, and sometimes certain band members overstate their importance to the overall band. I think Ron has had so much shit in bands in the past, he just wants to keep the peace and have something that doesn't implode. But he probably feels that SOA could be better if he were calling the shots more, and as Ron is my sole reason for having an interest in this band, I'm inclinded to agree. He is a terrific songwriter and I don't think he should be playing second fiddle to a virtuosic keyboard nerd.

Just before that he said he was trying to think about self deprecating shit to say, I don't think it was a passive aggressive dig at Derek. I think they're getting along just fine. Then he said the "great playing, bad songs" thing.

Anyway, even with Bumble in this band, it's just not my thing. This interview is cool though. It's amazing how busy Bumble is and how much music and knowledge he's able to share. I really miss his solo output. Maybe he'll get around to it in the future.

Edited by Rovim

14 hours ago, RussTCB said:

He was in Detroit the night before that video shoot. Great show! 

Cool, did you two get a chance to connect? (I think you've mentioned chilling out before?)

Also, I cant find the podcast, even though Im subbed to Talking Rock with Meltdown. Anyone have a link handy? 

58 minutes ago, soon said:

Cool, did you two get a chance to connect? (I think you've mentioned chilling out before?)

Also, I cant find the podcast, even though Im subbed to Talking Rock with Meltdown. Anyone have a link handy? 

Yeah, we got to hang for a bit. He's always such a nice dude. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mendez said:

I hope he does some cool tapping shit like he's done on Shacklers Revenge, Women Rule the World, Turn Around, and 1,000 Degrees

Or if he got some Hermit-like grungey riffs in there

Yeah, Ron's a great tapper. I would add Clots to your list, as well as Piranha, both of which have awesome tapping solos.

Nice to see someone else mention Art of Anarchy on here too. Their debut album with Welland was one of my favorite rock albums in recent years. So criminally underrated.

Edited by Towelie

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

But what's he written that would even hint at that? Literally everyone else in the band has a bigger success track record than him.

In my opinion, his entire Hermit album is his best album, and has many pro elements to it (not to the caliber hes doing now, more akin to simple prog like Tool). 2 "top tier" songs and alot of "good" songs. Theres only one song that i feel falls short (I Cant Play the Blues). His best singing on any album also

So i think he would work very well teamed up with Billy writing something. I get what you mean, since he is the "nobody" of the band, and he probably shouldnt feel like he should call the shots, which we don't even know, we are all just guessing, but i think theres is great potential as a band working equally together.

2 hours ago, moreblack said:

Was just watching this, it's fascinating how he orchestrates his parts to react to the music, or sometimes drive it.

I used to not be a fan of that song, but the more I’ve heard it the more I appreciate the amount of detail in it. He’s the only drummer where I could watch a video with only him for 40 minutes with Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence 

• Like 1