Gaming Historian - YouTube Channel

Ya, I've watched him some. Hes ok, not one of my favorites though. 

Some of my personal favs are Connemassacure (of course), RGT 85, Game sack, MetalJesusRocks, Classic Game Room, Classic Gaming Quarterly and probably Pat the nes punk. I watch a few others as well, but these are the gaming channels I watch (or watched) the most. I also REALLY like Simply Austin and Linus Tech Tips (although they are more computer channels), but they do get into retro gaming from time to time. 

3 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Ya, I've watched him some. Hes ok, not one of my favorites though. 

Some of my personal favs are Connemassacure (of course), RGT 85, Game sack, MetalJesusRocks, Classic Game Room, Classic Gaming Quarterly and probably Pat the nes punk. I watch a few others as well, but these are the gaming channels I watch (or watched) the most. I also REALLY like Simply Austin and Linus Tech Tips (although they are more computer channels), but they do get into retro gaming from time to time. 

I don't think I've watched any of those channels except MetalJesusRocks. I'll have to check a couple out. 

I made a spelling error its Cinnemassacure aka Angry Video Game Nerd. They do a lot of non gaming stuff as well (movie reviews etc) but they still do retro gaming stuff from time to time.

(Insert shameless plug) you can also watch Mikey J Productions which has been getting into retro gaming stuff quite a bit lately. Plus I plan on really digging deep into gaming going forward. Right now I'm only doing 1 video per week (it's about all I have time for). I also do Lego and movie type stuff as well, but with Arcades and gaming in general really being my main passion at the moment, my channel is going to be mostly gaming for the time being. 

12 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

AVGN is my favorite of these channels. Viewer of James’ content since 2010.

Honestly I've been watching him since 2007 or so. Hard to believe it's been that long, but it really has. His channel will always be one of my favs.

• GNFNR 1

On 04/06/2019 at 6:20 PM, RussTCB said:

I don't think I've watched any of those channels except MetalJesusRocks. I'll have to check a couple out. 

MetalJesus is one of my favourites. For anybody interested I listen to a really great UK based podcast called The Retro Hour. I’d totally recommend it. This is the episode where they interview MetalJesus. 

30 minutes ago, Dazey said:

MetalJesus is one of my favourites. For anybody interested I listen to a really great UK based podcast called The Retro Hour. I’d totally recommend it. This is the episode where they interview MetalJesus. 

I just commented on one of his videos earlier today. Apparently he's a man after my own heart. He's into vinyl AND video games. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I just commented on one of his videos earlier today. Apparently he's a man after my own heart. He's into vinyl AND video games. 

I thought the interview was really cool. The podcast guys also do a lot of stuff on early personal computer stuff like the Amiga which was massive in the UK but maybe not well known on the other side of the pond.

9 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I also like Metal Jesus' crew, like Radical Reggie, The Immortal John Hancock, Kensey, Kelsey and others. They have a whole SQUAD of retro video game folks, and they all seem cool and fun.

I know this has nothing to do with the subject at hand but Kelsey is also pretty hot. :thumbsup: 

DFTCT13UQAAhBtZ.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to give a shout out to Adam Korelicki (sp) because I find his channel to be the most informative. He's not nearly as popular, or his videos are not as "fun". But I really enjoy the level of knowledge he brings to the topic. I first discovered him because he did a recap of all video game console generations. Here is just one of the many from that series.

16 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I know this has nothing to do with the subject at hand but Kelsey is also pretty hot. :thumbsup: 

DFTCT13UQAAhBtZ.jpg

She does seem like a pretty good catch. 

12 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I have to give a shout out to Adam Korelicki (sp) because I find his channel to be the most informative. He's not nearly as popular, or his videos are not as "fun". But I really enjoy the level of knowledge he brings to the topic. I first discovered him because he did a recap of all video game console generations. Here is just one of the many from that series.

I really liked his video game generation recap series. Really interesting to revisit a lot of the older stuff.

14 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I really liked his video game generation recap series. Really interesting to revisit a lot of the older stuff.

Ya he goes through ALL the generations and does a video on every single console. I cant think of ANY other youtuber that has dedicated so much time to EVERY console. Really good stuff. 

He also calls it like it is, which some folks get a little defensive about it, and that is that the PS2 and Nintendo Wii are REALLY gimmick machines. It's not that they were not good, but they were not sold to gamers for gamers, they were marketed to casuals. Which made them very successful, yes. But it also taints them historically. PS2 was marketed and sold as a cheap DVD player. While the Wii was marketed for its motion controls. Both systems made it into the homes of "nongamers" because of those gimmicks. 

2 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Ya he goes through ALL the generations and does a video on every single console. I cant think of ANY other youtuber that has dedicated so much time to EVERY console. Really good stuff. 

He also calls it like it is, which some folks get a little defensive about it, and that is that the PS2 and Nintendo Wii are REALLY gimmick machines. It's not that they were not good, but they were not sold to gamers for gamers, they were marketed to casuals. Which made them very successful, yes. But it also taints them historically. PS2 was marketed and sold as a cheap DVD player. While the Wii was marketed for its motion controls. Both systems made it into the homes of "nongamers" because of those gimmicks. 

This is a really good podcast talking about how the original XBox went up against the PS2. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/06/2019 at 11:25 PM, RussTCB said:

Has anyone else watched this guys videos in the past? Here's a random one from about 7 years ago:

The dude's channel is just awesome. Packed with tons of info, a lot of which I'd never heard. 

I've watched a few of his vids and they're great quality, definitely does his research, but I'm only replying because of Little Samson really :D I never played it as a kid, only heard of it years later when it became a collectible in the retro community and its price skyrocketed. Grabbed it for my emulator and it's such a good game, probably my favourite NES title to be honest. Good old fashioned platforming with really tight controls, killer boss fights & a cool soundtrack throughout :headbang:

I used to watch quite a lot of retro games channels, my favourites were AVGN, Game Chasers, 16 Bit Gems, Pat The NES Punk.... basically those that I found through Retroware TV, but I've not watched any of them in ages. I've only been watching Super Mario Maker channels, I'm addicted lol. The best one imo is Ryukahr who plays the Super Expert levels - they're the ones that make me ragequit within minutes so it's nice to see someone capable of beating them without throwing a tantrum like most of the other Youtubers do :rofl-lol:

• Like 1