Your Favorite Band Member - Past or Present

In the 80s: Axl

In the 90s: Slash

Chinese Era: Axl

Now: Err...hard to answer. I don't enjoy Slash's playing these days too much, it changed alot. Hate those wankish, super long solo sections and all Conspirators records since Apocalyptic Love. Axl seems to be a shell of his former self. Duff comes across as a real dork these days. Mh. I'd say Axl, I hope he leads Guns into making a great new record.

24 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

This should have been a poll.. 

Slash for me easily. Not interested in Guns N' Roses without Slash.

The Appetite album as a whole is the band that collectively struck a nerve with me like no other band has and the reason I still follow them til this day.

Obviously no Guns N' Roses without Axl but most negatives I see with the band fall on him.  It is hard to watch videos from the illusions tour sometimes because of his ridiculous posing and outfits.. His voice makes it hard to watch current day live videos.  Quite a few songs on the Illusions could have been better without all the Axlisms and stupid over dubs. Mike Clink should have reeled him in.. Then there is the highly debated fact of why they broke up. Aside from Steven being fired Slash, Duff and Izzy have all pretty much said at one time or another it was because of Axl.. 

That said... It may have been a brief period, but I believe Axl Rose from 1987 - 1991 was the coolest, most bad ass motherfucking front man in rock.. Maybe of  all time...

I couldn’t have put it any better 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

As far as personality goes, Gilby. As far as musicianship, Slash just ahead of Axl.

I always liked Gilby a lot too. I actually associate him with the band more than Izzy, because I'd watch the '92 Paris show all the time when I first got into the band.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, daile1bm said:

I always liked Gilby a lot too. I actually associate him with the band more than Izzy, because I'd watch the '92 Paris show all the time when I first got into the band.

Still watch this most times I drink with my old guitarist, amazing show!

And for me, UYI 90s Slash, cool as fuck.

Edited by SoundOfAGun
Forgot to name favourite band member
  • Like 2

Axl, obviously. I'd have zero care for GN'R without Axl.

When I saw the movie "Rocketman", I couldn't help imagining a biopic with Axl. It would be amazing if done the right way. I don't think everything could be told in one movie, it should be at least two movies. The first part would be the rise and fall of the band (with Axl's highs and ultimate lows in his private life) so much to talk about and to show. The second part would concentrate on Axl's life between 1997 and 2009/2010.

Axl is one kind of a guy. He is the kind of person you only see in fiction normally. He doesn't quite fit with the human realm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loved Ron. Personable, hell of a player. Responsible for bringing Don't Cry and Yesterdays back to the stage. 

I have been a fan of the myriad lineups over time, but had only seen them in 2011, 2014 (today, five years ago in Vegas, in fact!), and in 2016 with Slash, Duff, and Melissa. 

Everyone (of real GNR) brought something unique to the band, but Izzy is clear first to me... That's why I'm not inerested in any kind of "reunion" without mr. Stradlin... 

Then Axl (still top5 frontman of all time) and Slash (still top 10 guitar god of all time) ex aequo... Maybe Axl should have slight edge, as he contributed more, but he also had most negative contributions,,, 

Then Duff, who is actually underrated (both songs wich he contributed, It's So Easy and So Fine are among my favourites...)

Then Steven, then Matt...

As for others, I don't even consider them members of Guns'n'Roses (and can't even name them)... They might have performed under G'n'R brand, but they have nothing in common with the band that recorded my all time favourite album...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

This should have been a poll.. 

Slash for me easily. Not interested in Guns N' Roses without Slash.

The Appetite lineup as a whole is the band that collectively struck a nerve with me like no other band has and the reason I still follow them til this day.

Obviously no Guns N' Roses without Axl but most negatives I see with the band fall on him.  It is hard to watch videos from the illusions tour sometimes because of his ridiculous posing and outfits.. His voice makes it hard to watch current day live videos.  Quite a few songs on the Illusions could have been better without all the Axlisms and stupid over dubs. Mike Clink should have reeled him in.. Then there is the highly debated fact of why they broke up. Aside from Steven being fired Slash, Duff and Izzy have all pretty much said at one time or another it was because of Axl.. 

That said... It may have been a brief period, but I believe Axl Rose from 1987 - 1991 was the coolest, most bad ass motherfucking front man in rock.. Maybe of  all time...

Well said

1 hour ago, MidnightToker said:

Myles Kennedy. 

Loved that performance. They sounded awesome that night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Maybe in your reality.. The majority of the world didn't seem to care much about the band when he was the only one left...

Maybe in your world. Check your facts. The band during a  curtain period did just fine. Was it compairable to another era. No, but the CD era with other members in GNR was part of its history. You cannot change that. Look beyond the US as the rest of the world embraced GNR at that point in time. Download festival, Rock N Rio, plus the gig in Auckland, NZ that I went to with 12,000 other people. 

Don't speak for the rest of us, just because you cannot let go of the past. 

19 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kever20 said:

Loved Ron. Personable, hell of a player. Responsible for bringing Don't Cry and Yesterdays back to the stage. 

I have been a fan of the myriad lineups over time, but had only seen them in 2011, 2014 (today, five years ago in Vegas, in fact!), and in 2016 with Slash, Duff, and Melissa. 

Ron was awesome. I don't think anyone did as much to promote the GnR brand as Ron did during his tenure. Spent a lot of time with the fans, was as open and vocal as he was legally allowed to be. Nothing but a lot of love for that man.