Universal Vault Fire: HUGE loss to historical master recordings, including GN'R

Had an idea of what happened years ago from people working there. Still devastating to officially hear. To lose the main source for those recordings is truly a loss for everyone. Especially if fidelity ever comes back to the forefront in people’s everyday listening habits. 

4 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Had an idea of what happened years ago from people working there. Still devastating to officially hear. To lose the main source for those recordings is truly a loss for everyone. Especially if fidelity ever comes back to the forefront in people’s everyday listening habits. 

I was just explaining that last part to my wife. Rock Around The Clock is one of my all time favorite songs (yes, I know it's very minor in the grand scheme of this loss) so if there's ever technology that could truly increase the way I could hear that master recording, there's zero chance of it now. 

• Like 2

What GNR recordings could have been destroyed? The AFD/Lies era couldn’t have been if we got the LNL box and we know some of the ‘95 sessions were in a Warehouse until recently. So can only think UYI-era or CD stuff (although CD stuff may only be digital anyway).

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

What GNR recordings could have been destroyed? The AFD/Lies era couldn’t have been if we got the LNL box and we know some of the ‘95 sessions were in a Warehouse until recently. So can only think UYI-era or CD stuff (although CD stuff may only be digital anyway).

The masters for AFD & Lies could have been destroyed in that fire. I'm not overly familiar with the marketing but I don't remember any of the remastering saying anything about it being the original master recordings. Also, if the UYI masters were destroyed, that would suck.

4 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

No backups?

Not of the original master recordings, no.

2 minutes ago, donny said:

its a good job us bootleggers have all the GNR stuff saved.

I know you're joking but what the bootleggers have doesn't compare in any way to the original masters. 

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The masters for AFD & Lies could have been destroyed in that fire. I'm not overly familiar with the marketing but I don't remember any of the remastering saying anything about it being the original master recordings. Also, if the UYI masters were destroyed, that would suck.

I know you're joking but what the bootleggers have doesn't compare in any way to the original masters. 

Will need to check when I get home - was sure they were from original masters....actually looking online it’s says ‘original analog tapes’?? Which I took to mean original masters to be honest!

What was destroyed MUST be detailed somewhere (all masters by all artists) and can only hope with the publication of this article, it will somehow make its way into the public domain.

Edited by DTJ80
Update

Actually - I think it’s fair to say details WILL be in the public domain sooner or later as Universal will be fending off lawsuits left, right and centre for any masters where they were not the sole owner (not sure of legalities but if they WERE sole owner of certain masters then not sure what an artist could do legally in that situation)?

Edited by DTJ80

28 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

They were able to remix the AFD and Lies tracks for 5.1, so they either had the masters or very high quality safety copies.  Plus they had access to the the "Shadow of Your Love" and "Move to The City" outtakes which also got newly mixed.  My gut feeling is the AFD/Lies archive was safe elsewhere.   But until more details are available, I suspect educated guesses are all we are left with.  

9 minutes ago, donny said:

i dont know much about the music business or how stuff gets stored but what would be the difference content wise between the UMG vault and Axls vault ? 

UMG would have the original masters and possibly safety copies. Axl/GNR would have copies. With tape, the generation in which it was copied matters on a fidelity level.

They very well could have still remastered whatever was available to them for AFD. I can’t remember either if they ever claimed it was from the original master or not. If they didn’t, then they used a safety copy or something worse that was still useable. 

Listening to it on Spotify or even on CD on most headphones/speakers setups you wouldn’t hear much of a difference. On vinyl through a top of the line sound system/speaker set up? You’d hear it in a A/B test.

Unfortunately that means, the best possibly way to hear the album could never ever happen now. On the other hand, 90% of fans wouldn’t know they were missing out unless they were told so. So in that case, I doubt we ever get a comprehensive list of what was damaged. The perception would kill remastering efforts 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, teejay said:

They were able to remix the AFD and Lies tracks for 5.1, so they either had the masters or very high quality safety copies.  Plus they had access to the the "Shadow of Your Love" and "Move to The City" outtakes which also got newly mixed.  My gut feeling is the AFD/Lies archive was safe elsewhere.   But until more details are available, I suspect educated guesses are all we are left with.  

In the end, yeah, all we can do is guess. I just want to point out that you don't need the original masters to produce a 5.1 mix though. 

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Will need to check when I get home - was sure they were from original masters....actually looking online it’s says ‘original analog tapes’?? Which I took to mean original masters to be honest!

What was destroyed MUST be detailed somewhere (all masters by all artists) and can only hope with the publication of this article, it will somehow make its way into the public domain.

"remastered from original analogue tapes" and "remastered from the original master tapes" are two totally different things. 

1 hour ago, Tourettes2400 said:

This sucks and not just for GN'R fans!

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, NeonKinight said:

This sucks in so many ways that i don't even know where to start.

I know, right. This is really, REALLY terrible news for music history. I don't think most people even grasp what this actually means and how big of a loss this is.

33 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It's obviously time for new music

Huh?

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Damn! That's huge. Am I really naieve in assuming/hoping that even master tapes are backupped and stored at different locations? Or is all this amazing stuff (holy shit what a list of artists) actually gone forever? 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, username said:

Damn! That's huge. Am I really naieve in assuming/hoping that even master tapes are backupped and stored at different locations? Or is all this amazing stuff (holy shit what a list of artists) actually gone forever? 

You're not naieve, but I'm going to doubt it at this point. I'm sure a few things were backed up but it's still going to equate to a massive, massive loss to the history of music :(

edit- Yeah, the list of artists and recordings is just unbelievably sad.