Izzy's involvement in writing new music.

11 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

In all likelihood we won't see Izzy touring with Guns again unfortunately.  I know people have made mentions here and there about Izzy helping to write/record new Guns music.  For the most part that just seems to be wishful thinking but does anyone truly think there is a chance of that?  To any extent?

I personally think he writes great songs and lyrics. Most importantly though I think he brings out the best in Slash like no one else can.  In my opinion the chemistry between those two guys just can't be matched.  Wouldn't mind hearing a track with Izzy on vocals either..

I do not see a single incentive, especially after NITL, that he would have to record an album, at this stage in his life, with GNR. Do YOU?

6 minutes ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

I do not see a single incentive, especially after NITL, that he would have to record an album, at this stage in his life, with GNR. Do YOU?

Looking to my Gn'R family for answers... Obviously not an album, but hope for any involvement at all?

7 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

There’s a possibility that he already has way back when he was doing guest spots for new guns. I’d assume he is still a personal friend of Axls (back then at least)

Plus there are probably demos floating around from his brief VR stint.

Hate the dolphin emoji, but this got one \m/

1 hour ago, D.. said:

As for Izzy, I'm thankful to what he has brought, but he should play it more humble and be less a pain in the ass. He is not the star of the band. He has written classics for the band, yes. But he has to earn his title again by writing true classics again before getting on his high horses. If he wants to join again and write quality stuff, fine. He'll get the paycheck if he's good enough and if Axl allows it. But if he's going to list impossible demands before anything has happened, no way. 

No offense intended against Izzy, I do appreciate him in some ways, he has his own persona... he is him, fine. But man he doesn't make things easy, and personally I hate that. We don't need another Axl in the band. I have less troubles with Axl pulling that kind of shit, because he is the face of the band and without him, there's no GN'R. The same cannot be said of Izzy. GN'R continued without him. That's my point.

So, I hope he can earn his title again. But he is in no position no negociate that hard, really. And I hope that if he comes back, he won't disappoint. Sorry if I sound like an ass, just my honest opinion. I may seem like I have too much respect for Axl, but he never let the band down. He didn't give up. Izzy did. I don't like ragequitters.

In point :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D.. said:

You're missing the point. Axl, Slash & Duff didn't want to split the loot equally.

It all comes down to... the LOOT.

If you're having a bar mitzvah, drop the loot and Izzy will spawn.

Seriously though, I have no doubt Izzy could be part of the writing process. Only if they pay him properly. That seemed to be the only concern.

Thing is, I guess Axl & the management figured:

1) Most people have no clue who Izzy is (or confuse him with Fortus) contrary to Duff & especially Slash who are very popular.

2) They were just in it for live shows, so why pay Izzy a huge amount when nobody knows who he is and Fortus is a better guitar player and had been faithful to the band for almost 2 decades. Put yourself in Axl's shoes, what would you have done? 

I really believe Ashba left on his own or possibly was proposed to make appearances and share his parts with Slash but refused to (with a good intent). I really think Ashba wasn't a moron on this one.

And I can't see Axl firing him. Like I can't see Axl firing Fortus who has been in the band for so long, and hiring Izzy back.

Maybe he proposed Izzy to share parts with Fortus, hence splitting the loot in a way Izzy didn't appreciate. I think Izzy sees himself bigger than he really is (no offense).

3) Izzy has a strong personality and could make things blow up like he did in the past. He doesn't like touring stadiums.

So, I really understand why Izzy wasn't brought back. Personally, if I was Axl, I'd have taken the same decision.

Now, when it comes to writing quality material, Izzy was essential and the most skilled guy of the AFD line-up. But does he still have it? I have no idea. I have listened to some of his solo stuff... I don't like it.

It will all be up to Axl and the management to pay him properly and check if he still has the same skills.

But then again, maybe they don't want to try it. Maybe they'll use the CD material, maybe they'll go in a totally new direction and a new sound. Or worst case scenario: they'll totally rely on Slash's skills, which, I'm afraid, won't cut it. But I'm sure Axl won't let that happen, he won't accept to release a mediocre generic rock album.

I'm not too anxious about the quality of the album, I have faith in Axl. It's all up to his criteria and perfectionism really.

As for Izzy, I'm thankful to what he has brought, but he should play it more humble and be less a pain in the ass. He is not the star of the band. He has written classics for the band, yes. But he has to earn his title again by writing true classics again before getting on his high horses. If he wants to join again and write quality stuff, fine. He'll get the paycheck if he's good enough and if Axl allows it. But if he's going to list impossible demands before anything has happened, no way. 

No offense intended against Izzy, I do appreciate him in some ways, he has his own persona... he is him, fine. But man he doesn't make things easy, and personally I hate that. We don't need another Axl in the band. I have less troubles with Axl pulling that kind of shit, because he is the face of the band and without him, there's no GN'R. The same cannot be said of Izzy. GN'R continued without him. That's my point.

So, I hope he can earn his title again. But he is in no position no negociate that hard, really. And I hope that if he comes back, he won't disappoint. Sorry if I sound like an ass, just my honest opinion. I may seem like I have too much respect for Axl, but he never let the band down. He didn't give up. Izzy did. I don't like ragequitters.

In terms of ashba wasnt there an interview with axl  where if ashba didnt leave on his own accord axl was going to politely ask him to leave?.

I hope izzy will be part of the songwriting if songwriting credits can be given to izxy for whatever contribution he makes and hopefully be apart of whatever live shows come up in future.

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

In terms of ashba wasnt there an interview with axl  where if ashba didnt leave on his own accord axl was going to politely ask him to leave?.

I hope izzy will be part of the songwriting if songwriting credits can be given to izxy for whatever contribution he makes and hopefully be apart of whatever live shows come up in future.

I don't remember an interview like that. And it's really not Axl's type to do things this way. 

What I remember is that Ashba said he left on his own and was cool about it, and eager to see Guns reunited. If I was a bit cynical, I'd say he gave himself free promotion by announcing it the way he did, from what I recall. But frankly, I don't care. He came at the right moment and the right place, and I did enjoy seeing him play with Guns in 2010. Sure he wasn't the best guitar player the band had, sure he posed too much, but at least he made shows fun and gave it his all.

The thing I find crazy is that people still see Axl as the guy who fires people in 2019 hahaha. Like he has no heart. Blows my mind everytime. I don't know if Steven Adler counts, he was a drug addict & the whole band agreed to fire him back then. Izzy left on his own, he rage-quitted like a pussy at a moment he was needed. Duff & Slash left on their own. 

I think the only two people Axl fired are Matt Sorum (from the story I remember, it was well deserved and the Illusions line-up was falling apart; that Sorum guy is a total ass, a funny one though, he's very good at giving interviews) and uh, what was his name again? Pitman? Who the hell ever cared about this guy anyway. I'm not even sure he was a guy, who knows.

He wouldn't have fired DJ Ashba from my point of view. If I'm mistaken and he said otherwise, please show me the proof.

If you analyse Axl's choices regarding the band, he has been incredibly faithful. He has honor and respect. He was pictured as firing Slash & Duff for decades, but they both left on their own. He was given shit & lies in Slash's book and still was mature enough to make peace. Personally, I don't think I could have done it. He's found a place where he's above this shit & drama.

He agreed to all the diva BS stuff Buckethead asked him! A giant coop for chicken was built in the studio FFS hahahahaha! Even when Buckethead rage-quitted, Axl was nice about it.

When Robin Finck quitted, Axl was nice about it. He didn't trashtalked him.

He has kept Fortus for almost two decades in the band. 

He has been very loyal and faithful to Tommy Stinson, who couldn't make it on some tours because of health problems and family problems from what I recall. Tommy had been in the band for what, 14 years? 16 years? That's a lot.

So if some people still don't get it: Axl is not a backstabber. He is loyal.

Sadly, people give him shit and recall either lies ("he fired Slash & Duff!" NEVER HAPPENED) or that the line-up had a lot of changes.

I'm pretty sure he asked Ashba to stay with the reunion tour happening and offered him a spot, but Ashba turned it down (I hope it was with good intentions, like letting it be; or maybe it was out of the loot being splitted, or/and him being under Slash's shadow and knowing the audience would applause Slash and not giving a fuck about him, which I could totally understand).

That's how Axl is. He is generous. He wouldn't have told him "hey man, you know, Slash is coming back, so either you leave on your own, or I'll have to fire you". Can you really picture him saying that with all the things they had shared for 5 years and Ashba coming at a time he was most needed because of Robin's betrayal? :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

There’s a possibility that he already has way back when he was doing guest spots for new guns. I’d assume he is still a personal friend of Axls (back then at least)

Plus there are probably demos floating around from his brief VR stint.

I have feel that Izzy-Axl relationship is love/hate.

18 hours ago, acor said:

Lol, no...

TBH, it wouldn't be great even with Izzy (although it would definetly increase chance of it being good)... Old rock bands don't make great music, simple as that... 

BS. Metallica just released a great record. Rock or bust wasn't great but Black ice stands up to most other AC/DC records. VH's different kind if truth. U2s last recird. There are plenty of old bands still making great records. It's actually this mentality (and poor sales) that makes older bands, decide not to bother with new albums and dive into nostalgia.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't hear that Tom... Last amazing record from an "old band" I heard was Chinese Democracy. Honestly. Metallica & all of the others have become über generic mediocre garbage. 

I'd say one of the only "old band" that still has it is Nine Inch Nails, if you consider it as a coherent band. Let's just say Trent Reznor. He's still amazing live, and delivers some cool songs from time to time. But his last great record was The Fragile imo. With Teeth was okay. After that, not so much, but there are still great pieces of music here & there.

9 hours ago, D.. said:

I may seem like I have too much respect for Axl, but he never let the band down. He didn't give up. Izzy did. I don't like ragequitters.

Axl never letting the band down is a highly debatable statement. Yes Izzy quit.. But so did Duff and Slash at one point.. All because of Axl by the way..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

Axl never letting the band down is a highly debatable statement. Yes Izzy quit.. But so did Duff and Slash at one point.. All because of Axl by the way..

You know what I'm going to answer to that right? : p

All because of Axl... THEY ALL CAME BACK IN THE BAND AT ONE POINT! :lol: If Axl was so much of an asshole, they'd never have come back. I wouldn't have. So maybe Axl isn't half bad, hm?

Izzy got some checks in 2006 by performing live, Axl was nice enough to invite him despite absolutely not needing him.
And now Slash & Duff are permanent members again and very happy to be here.

So really, I can't buy this "they all quit because of Axl" story. It was just a battle of egos, and disagreeing about how to manage the band and the direction of music. And a problem of communication. Nobody's perfect, not Axl, not Slash, not Duff, not Izzy: no one.

In the end, Axl released Chinese Democracy. All of the others released mediocre albums (I do like some songs on Contraband though, and I'll also never understand how Axl could turn "Serial Killer" down on Snakepit, fucking amazing track, but I don't know the whole backstory behind what happened there). 

Maybe they should've had more faith in him and seen him as the natural leader he was back then. Now it looks like they've finally understood, and I hope they move on in the best possible direction.

• Like 1

After giving up on Metallica for 20 years, I really enjoyed Hardwired.. 9 of the 12 songs anyway which isn't too shabby. I also thought Black Sabbath's 13 had some really solid tracks as well.. 

I actually think Izzy's songwriting never really goes out of style or sounds dated. 

10 minutes ago, D.. said:

I can't buy this "they all quit because of Axl" story. It was just a battle of egos, and disagreeing about how to manage the band and the direction of music. And a problem of communication. Nobody's perfect, not Axl, not Slash, not Duff, not Izzy: no one.

In the end, Axl released Chinese Democracy.

You don't have to buy the story but they all stated Axl as the reason in one way or the other.. So there is that... Axl releasing CD doesn't hold any water with me as I consider it complete garbage... Yes, Duff and Slash came back.. 23 years later.. I would have rathered their singer not make it such a miserable situation that they had no other choice to quit the band in it's prime. It would have been much better to get more music/tours out them while they were still in their prime instead of now with current day Axl, Melissa, Fortus and the worst drummer in the bands history... We have what we have and it is better than nothing I suppose butI am still hoping they can take it a step further and get Izzy involved in some of the songwriting.  

• Like 1

I respect your opinion Tom ; ) Won't change mine though.

Anyway, for some reason, this topic reminded me of a poem someone you know well wrote here more than a decade ago (man I can't believe I have been on this board for so long), because of some misconceptions that still float around to this day, I would like to remind you of what could be lyrics of an upcoming song on the new album.
I think the song should be called "Madison":

What the fuck do you know? That's right! You don't know jack fucking shit you fucking ignorant, know it all, fucking deluded, misguided, self important, self righteous, pious, small minded, clueless, loud mouthed, arrogant cunt. No one needs your opinions n' having to deal with your constant abuse of privileges or the miniscule amount of power you've had here you wield like an angry, lesbian, wannabe, high school parking lot rent-a-cop always mouthing off like you're some kind of authority which you're far from. I have to say it saddens me you continue to babble your horseshit to unsuspecting fans n' any names n' numbers you have are of people like you who try n' hurt others to promote themselves at their expense. That's the only real thing you got bitch. It's like Revolver's if not edited, cloudy recollection of events as I've never asked for anyone's shirt bein' thrown out of anywhere let alone say I did but hey he won a contest so he must be credible, whatever, no good deed goes unpunished. I don't work for you or have to do a goddamn thing you think ever. Your opinions of anything whatsoever don't count or mean jack shit to me or anyone in this camp. You're garbage, plain and simple. You're not a fan or a voice of reason... you're a sick n' diseased mind spilling it's bile over the internet. Well now you can drink up the rewards of the crap that's been spillin' out of your pie hole forever here n' enjoy the fermented, feted n' vulgar response you've been cultivating n' aching for... for so long . Find another board this one doesn't need you. Oh n' feel free to jump in all you wanna be web warriors, ho defenders n' bitch boi's, you ain't needed either. For the rest of you... Surprise gigs comin'!!

NEVER GETS OLD!

Edited by D..

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

BS. Metallica just released a great record. Rock or bust wasn't great but Black ice stands up to most other AC/DC records. VH's different kind if truth. U2s last recird. There are plenty of old bands still making great records. It's actually this mentality (and poor sales) that makes older bands, decide not to bother with new albums and dive into nostalgia.

Agree 100%.

thay make their money touring.

im excited because u2 just announced Aussie dates for the Joshua tree e

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Agree 100%.

thay make their money touring.

im excited because u2 just announced Aussie dates for the Joshua tree e

Would love to catch a U2 show. Not a huge fan, beyond the hits! but I think they are an important band worth seeing at least once!

35 minutes ago, D.. said:

I respect your opinion Tom ; ) Won't change mine though.

Anyway, for some reason, this topic reminded me of a poem someone you know well wrote here more than a decade ago (man I can't believe I have been on this board for so long), because of some misconceptions that still float around to this day, I would like to remind you of what could be lyrics of an upcoming song on the new album.
I think the song should be called "Madison":

What the fuck do you know? That's right! You don't know jack fucking shit you fucking ignorant, know it all, fucking deluded, misguided, self important, self righteous, pious, small minded, clueless, loud mouthed, arrogant cunt. No one needs your opinions n' having to deal with your constant abuse of privileges or the miniscule amount of power you've had here you wield like an angry, lesbian, wannabe, high school parking lot rent-a-cop always mouthing off like you're some kind of authority which you're far from. I have to say it saddens me you continue to babble your horseshit to unsuspecting fans n' any names n' numbers you have are of people like you who try n' hurt others to promote themselves at their expense. That's the only real thing you got bitch. It's like Revolver's if not edited, cloudy recollection of events as I've never asked for anyone's shirt bein' thrown out of anywhere let alone say I did but hey he won a contest so he must be credible, whatever, no good deed goes unpunished. I don't work for you or have to do a goddamn thing you think ever. Your opinions of anything whatsoever don't count or mean jack shit to me or anyone in this camp. You're garbage, plain and simple. You're not a fan or a voice of reason... you're a sick n' diseased mind spilling it's bile over the internet. Well now you can drink up the rewards of the crap that's been spillin' out of your pie hole forever here n' enjoy the fermented, feted n' vulgar response you've been cultivating n' aching for... for so long . Find another board this one doesn't need you. Oh n' feel free to jump in all you wanna be web warriors, ho defenders n' bitch boi's, you ain't needed either. For the rest of you... Surprise gigs comin'!!

NEVER GETS OLD!

I think we all wish we were the person Axl was reprimanding here, in some way shape or form. This is like get in the ring part II 😂 hopefully it makes the new record... Izzy might put a few chords to it😋

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Kind of went off U2 when they decided to put there album on everybody's iPhone. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't think a true player like Slash needs a technically skilled rhythm player.. Less is more...

Slash himself has said he isn't a great rhythm player though. I think fortus will bring out the best of slash. I love izzy, don't get me wrong. RQ lacks without him and 14 years is my second favorite GNR song, but I would love to see what Fortus and slash can do in studio

15 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Slash himself has said he isn't a great rhythm player though. I think fortus will bring out the best of slash. I love izzy, don't get me wrong. RQ lacks without him and 14 years is my second favorite GNR song, but I would love to see what Fortus and slash can do in studio

Slash said Izzy wasn't a great rhythm player? My ears tell me different and as far as I can tell Izzy has already brought the best in Slash.. Fortus certainly didn't do that onstage. Slash's playing (while still a beast) took a notable drop during the NITL tour. He was arguably playing better than he ever had with SMKC leading up to the reunion and then something happened. Then his playing seemed to go back up a notch when he got back on the road with SMKC again. Not saying it was all due to Fortus but no one was bring out the best of anything. It could have been Frank, click tracks, who knows....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Slash said Izzy wasn't a great rhythm player? My ears tell me different and as far as I can tell Izzy has already brought the best in Slash.. Fortus certainly didn't do that onstage. Slash's playing (while still a beast) took a notable drop during the NITL tour. He was arguably playing better than he ever had with SMKC leading up to the reunion and then something happened. Then his playing seemed to go back up a notch when he got back on the road with SMKC again. Not saying it was all due to Fortus but no one was bring out the best of anything. It could have been Frank, click tracks, who knows....

Poor wording on my part... meant slash said slash himself isn't a good rhythm guitarist. I think Fortus is the best rhythm guitarist slash has played with so far in terms of technical skill. I also agree with slash's playing taking a hit but I don't think that was of Fortus. I think fortus outplayed slash in Wish You Were Here. To me, and what I hope, Fortus will bring a level of competition with slash like in sports. I don't disagree with you about Izzy, I'd love to have him back just for history's sake and recapture the old magic, but I would like to hear what fortus and slash can do in the studio with new or Chinese leftover material. Personal opinion 

• Like 2