Does anyone here think about how Axl was bringing mental health to the forefront in his UYI day interviews? I mean, back in the 90’s no one was talking about that stuff openly. He really poured himself out there and discussed shit that is now en Vogue. Woke is a silly ducking term, but Axl always did strike me as a conscious being, which are typically misunderstood. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think too much is made of mental health these days.  There's a fuckin' acronym for every second fuckin' personality trait, its used to excuse fucked up behaviour way too much, everythings some kind of an illness and drawn back into like, mental health.  Its valid is many fuckin' ways I'm sure but I don't think you necessarily do anyone any favours by making such a fuckin' big deal of it, perhaps I'm cynical but I don't think there's that many noble people out there sticking their necks out for the poor sufferers of mental health issues, more often than not its to do with a person seeking the spotlight, oftentimes people who already have a great deal of attention. 

I hear this a lot with the boxer Tyson Fury, 'he's done so much for mental health!'...I love the man and everything but has he really?  These people all have something to sell you and the minute that is the case you should always question why that person is presenting you with 'x' narrative.  Personally I don't think there's nothing substantially wrong with Axl Rose, based on the limited information and knowledge of him I have.  Again, this is just an opinion, who knows, he might be totally batshit but I don't see it myself. 

More often than not, I find, people that have mental health issues don't make a massive song and dance about because their priority is getting through life and being normal, they don't want people to know about that shit and have themselves being judged differently or treated like they're a fuckin' retard.  They say Joey Ramone had OCD all his life, like crippling levels of it, to where as a kid doctors told his mother that he probably wouldn't be able to live a normal life, nobody ever heard about that shit though, not until after he died because, as I was saying, the man wanted to get on and live a normal life and that kinda thing is ones personal business. 

I'm immediately suspicious of people who are desperate to lay their lives on the operating table to be pored over like an opening wound by millions of gossip hungry 'fans', people that spend half their lives trying to make you understand them by telling you about every time their Dad gave em a clip round the earhole or whatever.  Fuck that shit. 

Sincere people want to forge ahead despite their handicapps and shortcomings, not making a big issue of them and end up being defined by them.

Oh man, reading this just gave me LCSD! 

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A conscious being? :question: Aren't we all conscious beings while we are alive? :lol:

Nah, I don't think Axl is anything special, neither misunderstood and much less "woke".

He has a huge ego, something that probably stems from his upbringing and the way his family functioned.

Coming out with the story of his life in magazines like Rolling Stone was probably more to do with a personal catharsis, in some ways to justify his bad behavior "look at me, cut me some slack, this is what you get when you abuse children." 

Too bad he sought support in dubious people, mediums and charlatans who took advantage of his fragile emotional state to suck up thousands of dollars from his pockets.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I think too much is made of mental health these days.  There's a fuckin' acronym for every second fuckin' personality trait, its used to excuse fucked up behaviour way too much, everythings some kind of an illness and drawn back into like, mental health.  Its valid is many fuckin' ways I'm sure but I don't think you necessarily do anyone any favours by making such a fuckin' big deal of it, perhaps I'm cynical but I don't think there's that many noble people out there sticking their necks out for the poor sufferers of mental health issues, more often than not its to do with a person seeking the spotlight, oftentimes people who already have a great deal of attention. 

I hear this a lot with the boxer Tyson Fury, 'he's done so much for mental health!'...I love the man and everything but has he really?  These people all have something to sell you and the minute that is the case you should always question why that person is presenting you with 'x' narrative.  Personally I don't think there's nothing substantially wrong with Axl Rose, based on the limited information and knowledge of him I have.  Again, this is just an opinion, who knows, he might be totally batshit but I don't see it myself. 

More often than not, I find, people that have mental health issues don't make a massive song and dance about because their priority is getting through life and being normal, they don't want people to know about that shit and have themselves being judged differently or treated like they're a fuckin' retard.  They say Joey Ramone had OCD all his life, like crippling levels of it, to where as a kid doctors told his mother that he probably wouldn't be able to live a normal life, nobody ever heard about that shit though, not until after he died because, as I was saying, the man wanted to get on and live a normal life and that kinda thing is ones personal business. 

I'm immediately suspicious of people who are desperate to lay their lives on the operating table to be pored over like an opening wound by millions of gossip hungry 'fans', people that spend half their lives trying to make you understand them by telling you about every time their Dad gave em a clip round the earhole or whatever.  Fuck that shit. 

Sincere people want to forge ahead despite their handicapps and shortcomings, not making a big issue of them and end up being defined by them.

I do remember reading i music magazine years ago that had a story of the ramones, and joey hgave crippling OCD issues. It wasnt uncommon where they would be on tour and he woukd want to back to the last town to touch or check spmething. I beleive he also collected door knobs or handles as well.

I do tend to think mental health has alot of awareness with millenials because the ones i come across like to put a label on themselves.

Edited by Sydney Fan

• 1 month later...

I think that Axl was unable and unwilling to to be sane in a mad world. I think thats a very compelling aspect of his character. And he seems self aware about his madness being in conversation with 'the man.' "Sometimes I feel like the world is on top of me.... Im here to tell you youre worth more then they tell you" and all the lyrics of Scrapped, as an example.

As referenced above, we millennials have indeed been schooled to be "in touch with ourselves" and to "tend to our mental health needs." And while some of that has become, within our neoliberal context, just a way to assert the self into a conversation that is otherwise not about the self/label, but it has also cultivated real resistance to the capitalist model that offers us such an unhealthy environment. We have no issue calling up our middle management sheeple and informing them that we are taking a "mental health day" even when HR doesnt have any record of such things in out contracts/agreements lol. But from there we go deeper into the role that capitalism plays in our suffering. We were also schooled by our cultural marxist (:lol:) educators to be on top of our self care. And while many of us dont know any better than to consume even more products as self care, there is certainly a doorway to a discussion about resistance to capitalism as self care. And also the self care tools of 'refusa'l and 'frivolity' as ways to to survive capitalisms alienation and monotony.

Despite the warm and fuzzy way that educators presented mental health to millennials, I still look to Axl as a voice in the discussion. So to speak directly to the OP, I am very grateful that Axl spoke out so much at a time when it wasn't the norm to do so!

I think this video essay really sums up how I view, and relate to, whatever madness I perceive in younger Axl.

Edited by soon

WE all have mental issues at one time or another.

My grandmother was manic depressive before any doctor knew what it was. Finally in the early 80's a doctor got it right. She suffered all her life. Sometimes she would go off her meds which was a HUGE mistake. 

If anyone feels depressed you have to find a good doctor to help you out. It's very important to take care of our mental issues as well as physical.  Also in every phase of your life changes need to be made sometimes. As you get older your symptoms might change too, so it's best to always tell your doctor what you are feeling.

I think Axl has gotten a handle on his issues, at least I hope so. Back in GNR's early days, the guys had tons of pressure from themselves and others, so I'm sure Axl, being the sensitive soul he is, had a very hard time dealing with it all. I know Duff did too. Slash seems laid back about stuff, but we're not all like that.

16 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I used to think axl thought it was cool being a manic depressive, kind of his excuse for acting like an asshole crybaby most of the time.

Believe me, being manic depressive is anything but cool. People with this mental illness suffer alot. I know first hand. Look up the symptoms and you'll see how dangerous this illness can be without the right help and medication.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

WE all have mental issues at one time or another.

My grandmother was manic depressive before any doctor knew what it was. Finally in the early 80's a doctor got it right. She suffered all her life. Sometimes she would go off her meds which was a HUGE mistake. 

If anyone feels depressed you have to find a good doctor to help you out. It's very important to take care of our mental issues as well as physical.  Also in every phase of your life changes need to be made sometimes. As you get older your symptoms might change too, so it's best to always tell your doctor what you are feeling.

I think Axl has gotten a handle on his issues, at least I hope so. Back in GNR's early days, the guys had tons of pressure from themselves and others, so I'm sure Axl, being the sensitive soul he is, had a very hard time dealing with it all. I know Duff did too. Slash seems laid back about stuff, but we're not all like that.

Believe me, being manic depressive is anything but cool. People with this mental illness suffer alot. I know first hand. Look up the symptoms and you'll see how dangerous this illness can be without the right help and medication.

Yeah I agree totally, that’s why I said that I used to think that when I was young, but having dealt with my own issues in my 30s I understand much better.

Hopefully Axl has made progress with the whole thing.

Axl talked about his mental health waaay before that in some of their early interviews, like 86-87. He was always pretty open about knowing something wasn't quite right but not really knowing what it was. He DID know he was a bit of a prick and has always been pretty open about that as well

Edited by Silverburst80

On 12/06/2019 at 11:14 PM, Len Cnut said:

I love how you come crawling out of your cave every time you hear the words "mental health" 

Edited by DK6
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 9:14 AM, Len Cnut said:

I can tell you from having a physical disability, I'm open about it. Having a short left arm it's obvious so I have to talk about it. As you stated in that last sentence, I don't want people to define me  based  on a body part, but it is a part of who I am as a person. Just like being a fan of GNR or the NY Giants is a part of who I am. I hate it when people try to force their help on to me, especially when I'm right in the middle of doing something.

No matter what the disability is, it's important to talk about it and raise awareness. Maybe then we can end  discrimination and stereotypes that I and others face. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Draguns said:

I can tell you from having a physical disability, I'm open about it. Having a short left arm it's obvious so I have to talk about it. As you stated in that last sentence, I don't want people to define me  based  on a body part, but it is a part of who I am as a person. Just like being a fan of GNR or the NY Giants is a part of who I am. I hate it when people try to force their help on to me, especially when I'm right in the middle of doing something.

No matter what the disability is, it's important to talk about it and raise awareness. Maybe then we can end  discrimination and stereotypes that I and others face. 

I just think, personally, that there's something noble about a stoic approach to life.  There is something a little more dignified to the disabled veteran selling poppies to raise money for charity as opposed to the guy that paints himself bright green, puts on a wig and a Ski yoghurt pot costume to run a marathon to raise money for charity. 

On 12/06/2019 at 7:35 PM, Carne_asaDA said:

Have you ever done DMT? - Joe Rogan

Its all about THE TOAD MAAAAAAN :lol:

On 12-6-2019 at 3:14 PM, Len Cnut said:

I want to like this post more than current forum features allow me to. 

To add, I don't necessarily believe in telling people there's something wrong with them all the time. Telling them that they're sick. I think that in mild cases it can become an excuse people preemptively make for themselves. You have anxiety, you have mental illness, you have autism, you have ocd and what not. I'm not saying these aren't real because they clearly are. But they're way overdiagnosed on mild cases and difficult kids and it becomes a threshold or an excuse for them to learn how to deal with them and maybe "outgrow" these things. Or at least naturally learn how to cope with them. Basically I miss the 80's and 90's. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Axl talked about his mental health waaay before that in some of their early interviews, like 86-87. He was always pretty open about knowing something wasn't quite right but not really knowing what it was. He DID know he was a bit of a prick and has always been pretty open about that as well

I think this was of the best ones he did in the 80s trying to explain what he was struggling with:

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3210-1989-06-dd-patience-cd-single-w-axl-rose-interview

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

This.

Or just put some LSD into the water supply for a day and for everyone, the world will be a better place.

Axl did mushrooms at the end of the uyi recording sessions.... he was kinda a mess for the tour and then disappeared for a decade. :shrugs:

On 12/06/2019 at 10:14 AM, Len Cnut said:

Wow, that's what i'd call an opinion based on no evidence whatsoever. You're mixing concepts, causes, consequences, n throwing together a bunch of prejudices that find no correspondence at all with the studies of mental health. Plz, go back to square one before spewing that much of nonsense.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bozo said:

Wow, that's what i'd call an opinion based on no evidence whatsoever. You're mixing concepts, causes, consequences, n throwing together a bunch of prejudices that find no correspondence at all with the studies of mental health. Plz, go back to square one before spewing that much of nonsense.

If you read the post is does state quite explicitly that my opinion, particularly in regard to Axl Rose, is based on 'limited information and knowledge' because he's not someone I know personally, I can only react to whats out there in the media, like anyone else.  As to the broader opinion, I fail to see where there is any prejudice in what I'm saying.

No one's gonna bother me anymore
No one's gonna mess with my head no more
I can't understand what all the fightin's for
But it's so nice here down off the shore
I wish you could see this
'Cause there's nothing to see
It's peaceful here and it's fine with me
Not like the world where I used to live
I NEVER REALLY WANTED TO LIVE

• Like 2