Richard Fortus On What the New Guns N' Roses Album Could Sound Like

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think there's no issue of a rock band being "contemporary" and "reflecting of the times" today, as rock isn't hip and there are no particular "trends" in it - it's an "anything goes" situation and the new bands just play various combinations of past decades' rock. The good aspect of it is that it's liberating, as a rock band -GnR in this case- doesn't need to be up-to-date, musically speaking, and they can make the music they want.

That's true, no movements like grunge or  new metal or britpop in sight. Would be a good time for Guns to come out with a new album.

To me i think they will focus on recording tracks that will be easy to perform in a live setting and not overally complicated or layered. Face it the only reason for new songs would be to put together another tour.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, todreamofwolves said:

Is there anyone here who doesn't take what Richard has to say with a huge grain of salt? I got a $50 bill that says he doesn't know what this pie-in-the-sky new album will sound like.

Also, how else would he respond to such a question? "Umm, yeah, it will sound just like Chinese Democracy". If there is barely any interest in a new GNR album as it is, a comment like that would be the nail in the coffin. Oh, and no shit they aren't writing another AFD. As if they could if they even wanted to.

1. Barely any interest? how did you work that out? There's a lot of interest, considering it's the number one question each member gets asked every time they leave their houses. 

2. How would he know what the record sounds like? well, if there's one guy outside of Axl that knows what has been recorded, it's Richard. He has done a bunch of work on that record in the last 10 years even. So yes, he couldn't tell you down to the 10-14 songs that will make it on the record, but he can definitely tell you the general vibe of the material he has played on already... and this is a pretty clear indicator of the record we're getting. It doesn't sound like we're getting Slash and Duff co-writes... but that still remains to be seen, things could easily change as Slash has talked a lot about having his own material that he'd like to use for a gnr record.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, vloors said:

To me i think they will focus on recording tracks that will be easy to perform in a live setting and not overally complicated or layered. Face it the only reason for new songs would be to put together another tour.

Most likely. That said, i don't think Axl uses his deep vocals enough, so i'm all for that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

If the 2019 musical landscape is what they are out of step with, wouldn't you say that would likely also be the case for the vast majority of their audience? I mean, we're mostly blokes in our 30s and 40s on a GNR forum, I doubt any of us are really hip to the cutting edge music tastes of 2019...

Some of us jizzed in our pants when we first heard Shacklers Revenge in 2008, as if nu-metal wasn't almost ten years past being considered fashionable at that time.

If old man Axl is out of touch, it doesn't really matter much, because we are too.

I certainly dont want a numetal or industrial record. I hope each member is able to contribute evenly rather than axl calling the shots.

If i think back when i first heard uyi when they first came out i thought guns had progressed or evolved , whatever word you want to use. So will be interesting what comes out.

2 hours ago, vloors said:

That is what would make the most sense and probably sound the best. But Axl......

Frankly once Slash started soloing on CD songs, they got way better so really if it's just CD II with duff and Slash overdubs it should still be fine.

I'm genuinely curious if the nuguns guys had any clue what CD was going to sound like before it came out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Towelie said:

If the 2019 musical landscape is what they are out of step with, wouldn't you say that would likely also be the case for the vast majority of their audience? I mean, we're mostly blokes in our 30s and 40s on a GNR forum, I doubt any of us are really hip to the cutting edge music tastes of 2019...

Some of us jizzed in our pants when we first heard Shacklers Revenge in 2008, as if nu-metal wasn't almost ten years past being considered fashionable at that time.

If old man Axl is out of touch, it doesn't really matter much, because we are too.

If people our age are out of touch is befitting our age and Axls got 20 years on us :lol: 

at this point in time, I'm not sure I'd even be excited for a modern interpretation of the appetite sound.

It's been ages since I played anything GNR. All of this music is overplayed and I find little excitement anymore. I'm just fucking tired of this shit.

I think it's over. It was good while it lasted.

An evolved chinese democracy? Oh dear, my head is starting to hurt. The only way I'd listen to that is by ambush, and it wouldn't be pretty.

What they should do by this point is go for a bit of rolling stones sound, but in typical GNR fashion. Something like the lies album, acoustic, but with enough crunch and attitude. Done right, this would certainly be an album that would find it's place in my current playlist. They should get rid of at least half of the band (frank, melissa, dizzy) and go back to making real music that lives.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RONIN said:

Moby + korn+ nin + trendy bands of 2019 = Axl's GnR "musical evolution"

Looking back i wonder what sound axl was looking for in order to have the producer roy thomas baker.

10 hours ago, RONIN said:

Moby + korn+ nin + trendy bands of 2019 = Axl's GnR "musical evolution"

The only trendy band now i could think of is greta van fleet.

6 hours ago, action said:

at this point in time, I'm not sure I'd even be excited for a modern interpretation of the appetite sound.

It's been ages since I played anything GNR. All of this music is overplayed and I find little excitement anymore. I'm just fucking tired of this shit.

I think it's over. It was good while it lasted.

An evolved chinese democracy? Oh dear, my head is starting to hurt. The only way I'd listen to that is by ambush, and it wouldn't be pretty.

What they should do by this point is go for a bit of rolling stones sound, but in typical GNR fashion. Something like the lies album, acoustic, but with enough crunch and attitude. Done right, this would certainly be an album that would find it's place in my current playlist. They should get rid of at least half of the band (frank, melissa, dizzy) and go back to making real music that lives.

A short, simple Lies-style album with just Axl, Slash, Izzy, and Duff would probably be my most preferred option too, actually. But I’m open to anything.

• Like 1

Slash is a classic rock style guitarist. Duff started out as a punk style guy. When you combine that with Axl's love of the big piano ballads, I think they compliment each other really well. Slash and Duff will hopefully reign in Axl's soppy ballads, and Axl's love of crafting melodic rock will stop Slash from going down the generic, plodding rock he's been guilty of a lot on his solo / Myles Kennedy stuff. 

I would just love..... LOVE..... Izzy to be involved in the writing process.