Jump to content
sidman69

Richard Fortus On What the New Guns N' Roses Album Could Sound Like

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I hate it when bands talk about how they’ve evolved or grown as musicians. 

The best rock music is always a simple guitar riff backed up with a good rhythm section and some cool vocals on top. 

Raw is better than bloated. 

When VR talked about evolving, we got Libertad. 

Edited by jacdaniel
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't care about evolving as long as they sound like GNR.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I don't care about evolving as long as they sound like GNR.

Amen.. They made some pretty fucking classic music 86-93 but their catalog was pretty small.  I would love to have some more tunes that fit right in with it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Here is what the new Guns N' Roses album will sound like,

 

This actually could be a good idea, as it would give the fans the freedom to play their own dreamed GnR album in their heads, like dirty rocky tunes co-written by Izzy or epic Buckethead solos. They could even create an avant-garde GnR album from the sounds of their breaking stuff and cussing as they put the CD on the player and realise that it contains 80 minutes of silence :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12.6.2019 at 6:29 PM, sidman69 said:

One of our awesome subscribers went to one of Richard Fortus' recent appearances in Chicago and sent me a summary of what happened. He asked Richard about the new album and it's summarized below. Richard also talked about how Melissa joined the group (she dated brain) and more!

– I asked him if the new GnR album would sound more like a classic GnR album, something closer to a Chinese Democracy sound, or if it’s even evolved into a more modern sound than that. Fortus said the sound will be even different and more evolved than Chinese Democracy.

https://gnrcentral.com/2019/06/12/duff-mckagan-talks-punk-guns-n-roses-favourite-tracks-more/

So... and album full of "my world" and Silkworms lookalike music:wacko::facepalm::vomit:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/6/2019 at 9:23 AM, action said:

at this point in time, I'm not sure I'd even be excited for a modern interpretation of the appetite sound.

It's been ages since I played anything GNR. All of this music is overplayed and I find little excitement anymore. I'm just fucking tired of this shit.

I think it's over. It was good while it lasted.

An evolved chinese democracy? Oh dear, my head is starting to hurt. The only way I'd listen to that is by ambush, and it wouldn't be pretty.

What they should do by this point is go for a bit of rolling stones sound, but in typical GNR fashion. Something like the lies album, acoustic, but with enough crunch and attitude. Done right, this would certainly be an album that would find it's place in my current playlist. They should get rid of at least half of the band (frank, melissa, dizzy) and go back to making real music that lives.

They've made that record. That was UYI. 

Net album can either be a hybrid of CD type material with some rockier moments or a further development on the gnr sound. 

Don't run away from your roots, but don't pander to it either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want new music and I don't care how it sounds like. If it's going to be experimental, great. If it's going to sound like AFD, great. Problem with the latter is that it will never be as good as AFD so you can expect everyone to complain about how much it sucks on here for the next twenty years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I say pander.. It isn't like they have this long ass monotonous discography like AC/DC. Not that there is anything wrong with AC/DC. I respect the hell out of them for sticking to their roots for so long and so do their fans.  I think it would be a perfect time for Guns to go back to their roots for a record and make a statement.  CD type material is part of what broke the band up in the first place and I don't think the world is clamoring for an new album in the vain of CD.. Everyone else has side projects to get shit out of their system, Axl should should just do that too. Guns N' Roses made some of the greatest kick ass hard rock rock n roll music of all time during the classic era. I can't imagine many disappointed people if they were to release an album that for the most part sounded like classic Guns n' Roses.  We didn't get enough of that music in the first place. 

Axl doesn't seem interested in going back and basically making the same album twice like Slash has been doing. I think he wants it to have at least some progression. I think they can find a middle ground between Chinese epic material and more hard rock stuff maybe like UYI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I say pander.. It isn't like they have this long ass monotonous discography like AC/DC. Not that there is anything wrong with AC/DC. I respect the hell out of them for sticking to their roots for so long and so do their fans.  I think it would be a perfect time for Guns to go back to their roots for a record and make a statement.  CD type material is part of what broke the band up in the first place and I don't think the world is clamoring for an new album in the vain of CD.. Everyone else has side projects to get shit out of their system, Axl should should just do that too. Guns N' Roses made some of the greatest kick ass hard rock rock n roll music of all time during the classic era. I can't imagine many disappointed people if they were to release an album that for the most part sounded like classic Guns n' Roses.  We didn't get enough of that music in the first place. 

I agree, I would rather it be more like UYI with hard rockers and a few epics. Not anything too experimental, which I don't think Slash and Duff would go for anyway.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously everyone is just speculating, but I imagine the "evolved" is just Chinese type stuff with Duff and Slash's touches on it, which I'm perfectly okay with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bums me out that Axl is such an AC/DC fan but he doesn’t want to lean into that best part of GNR and AC/DC.... just hip thrusting rhythm and dirty guitars.

It might have seemed old hat in 1996, but nobody can seem to do it anymore.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ant said:

Bums me out that Axl is such an AC/DC fan but he doesn’t want to lean into that best part of GNR and AC/DC.... just hip thrusting rhythm and dirty guitars.

It might have seemed old hat in 1996, but nobody can seem to do it anymore.

Guns were the best at it in their heyday and it was also what they were best at.. Damn shame...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Ant said:

Bums me out that Axl is such an AC/DC fan but he doesn’t want to lean into that best part of GNR and AC/DC.... just hip thrusting rhythm and dirty guitars.

It might have seemed old hat in 1996, but nobody can seem to do it anymore.

But if Axl is not interested in using the same formula again and again, why would he do that? if anything it means he does care about more than keeping it going and making money. He always pushed for more than Appetite type stuff which lead to UYI, and also forcing Slash and Duff according to Axl to work on November Rain and Estranged which only expanded what the band could do musically. Slash said it was interesting to solo over a piano line but that wasn't what he was into so we can thank Axl for taking one step farther beyond what they did before, what AC/DC have done (not that it didn't work for them but that's not Gn'R to me)

Axl always wanted to include more musical approaches and he wanted it early like him being upset Don't Cry and November Rain were not included on Appetite. He likes the Queen approach just as much as he likes simple and pure hard rock, the rest of the band have no choice but to appease him and that doesn't mean they won't get a chance to make a potential new Guns album that is more hard rocking and maybe includes the best of both styles. Shit like that can co exist. It's been done before.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Rovim said:

But if Axl is not interested in using the same formula again and again, why would he do that? if anything it means he does care about more than keeping it going and making money. He always pushed for more than Appetite type stuff which lead to UYI,

Wow. Gotta love the revisionism here! Axl has been milking the same "formula" for almost his entire career (AFD for the zillionth time, anyone?)! He spent his prime driving away bandmates and tinkered to death with an album that most fell asleep while listening to. When that didn't work out too well for him, and he was tired of being relegated to a Vegas act, he set aside two decades of hatred for his guitarist so they could cash-in on a several year, hundreds of millions, nostalgia tour. 

But by your above description, you'd think Axl is this forward-thinking, prolific guy who refuses to settle for mediocrity. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, todreamofwolves said:

Wow. Gotta love the revisionism here! Axl has been milking the same "formula" for almost his entire career (AFD for the zillionth time, anyone?)! He spent his prime driving away bandmates and tinkered to death with an album that most fell asleep while listening to. When that didn't work out too well for him, and he was tired of being relegated to a Vegas act, he set aside two decades of hatred for his guitarist so they could cash-in on a several year, hundreds of millions, nostalgia tour. 

But by your above description, you'd think Axl is this forward-thinking, prolific guy who refuses to settle for mediocrity. Lol

I wasn't talking about live shows, but in the last NITL show they did play 8 Chinese Democracy tunes. What I was obviously touching on is the progression from Appetite to UYI which contained November Rain and Estranged to Chinese Democracy. He did what he wanted to do and he didn't release it until he felt it was ready.

Also if the reunion was just about money, Axl would have reunited with Slash years ago, but instead it took 20 years. I think when Bumble and Tommy left he knew he couldn't bring yet again new guys to fill their spots and it was around the time Duff filled in for Tommy so I suspect Duff maybe was the reason why Axl forgave Slash and yeah the fact that they could draw much bigger crowds with Slash didn't hurt but I don't believe Axl would have done it just for the money while still hating Slash.

Also: Axl said the public wants to hear Appetite so they play it for them and the casuals wants to hear it too but it still doesn't stop the band from including Coma, Slither and other UYI cuts and do 3 hour shows. I do think the set list has become somewhat stale, there is room for improvement there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 7:46 PM, Tom-Ass said:

Amen.. They made some pretty fucking classic music 86-93 but their catalog was pretty small.  I would love to have some more tunes that fit right in with it. 

I can't believe there are no other tracks that were recorded during that era that were not used on the albums that have not resurfaced somewhere.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Edward Nygma said:

I can't believe there are no other tracks that were recorded during that era that were not used on the albums that have not resurfaced somewhere.  

Ain’t goin down sounded like it was pretty far on in terms of production etc in ‘94 (Gilby was emptied around that time I think). So that’s one we know of!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I say pander.. It isn't like they have this long ass monotonous discography like AC/DC. Not that there is anything wrong with AC/DC. I respect the hell out of them for sticking to their roots for so long and so do their fans.  I think it would be a perfect time for Guns to go back to their roots for a record and make a statement.  CD type material is part of what broke the band up in the first place and I don't think the world is clamoring for an new album in the vain of CD.. Everyone else has side projects to get shit out of their system, Axl should should just do that too. Guns N' Roses made some of the greatest kick ass hard rock rock n roll music of all time during the classic era. I can't imagine many disappointed people if they were to release an album that for the most part sounded like classic Guns n' Roses.  We didn't get enough of that music in the first place. 

Look if they make a great record I don't care what direction it takes :D I want some of Slash's slithery snakey riffs, I also loved many parts of the last record and I'd like to see what Axl had planned for round II. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, todreamofwolves said:

Wow. Gotta love the revisionism here! Axl has been milking the same "formula" for almost his entire career (AFD for the zillionth time, anyone?)! He spent his prime driving away bandmates and tinkered to death with an album that most fell asleep while listening to. When that didn't work out too well for him, and he was tired of being relegated to a Vegas act, he set aside two decades of hatred for his guitarist so they could cash-in on a several year, hundreds of millions, nostalgia tour. 

But by your above description, you'd think Axl is this forward-thinking, prolific guy who refuses to settle for mediocrity. Lol

I do love YOUR revisionism. 

He pushed for the development on UYI, he then made a record that expanded on the old guns sound and took it in completely new directions (whether you liked it or not). Axl doesn't need to have released a ton of music for anyone here to realise that his vision for GNR is not of releasing the same album over and over again, he has always wanted to develop while Slash has wanted to stay in the traditional rock field. Nothing wrong with either. as long as the music is good and isn't predictable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree, I would rather it be more like UYI with hard rockers and a few epics. Not anything too experimental, which I don't think Slash and Duff would go for anyway.

This i agree with. I think they are happy to experiment a little but stick to knowing what sound works.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doctorsapiens said:

Axl said years ago that next albums after CD would be more industrial and electronic oriented....

Sometimes musicians/people change their minds (and taste) especially after decades have passed and you're starting to get into other things. I still think Axl likes industrial music I'm just not sure he's as interested as he was making it the center of an album or the focus of it anymore but only Axl knows I guess.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×