Duff Interview with EW - Says New Music is "In the Pipeline"

6 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Even Sugar Cane? My man right here

Yep. That's a fun little one.  Even the lesser tracks on LTD are still enjoyable.

LTD great tracks: The Great Pretender, Boulevard of Broken Hearts, Driving Rain, Mind Your Manners

Good tracks: The One You Loved Is Gone, Read Between The Lines, Lost Inside The Girl, Serves You Right, Call Of The Wild

Lesser tracks but still enjoyable: Sugar Cane, Slow Grind, My Antidote

Edited by Towelie

4 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Honestly Slash and Duff just need input from Axl and likewise to put out a pretty good album. I mean, think about it, there's been a lot of people who don't like CD, but they like the versions of CD songs the current lineup has been playing. I for one, think the album will be pretty good, so long as everyone can collaborate and pressure (from leaks or expectations) don't push them in the wrong expectations.

If CD never came out, I think the pressure would be too much for the band, but I think they can produce something organically that'll be awesome

I believe Axl, Slash, and Duff still share perfect musical chemistry. I also believe what Duff confirmed and Fortus said about Axl having a lot of unreleased material that is basically completed and I think there must be some great tunes in there.

They have a starting point, a direction. It's not like it was after UYI was released where they were kinda lost and didn't have a shared goal.

My hope is Slash will finally give enough of a fuck to really go for it after years of being too comfortable artistically speaking imo. I hope being back in Guns after 20 years and recording a new Guns album will be a big enough of a reason for him to give it his all. I'd like to believe he cares about the band legacy enough to deliver a great album. Duff seems to always get the job done.

I wonder how Axl will approach it this time: he seems to be attached to the unreleased material since he did play it for Slash and Duff and mentioned what they thought of it which means he cares what their opinion is on the matter. My guess he probably wants to use at least some of it, maybe rerecord some or all of the solos/bass lines now that Slash and Duff are available to him.

But he also wants to start tunes from lyrics and vocal melodies which to me means starting some material from scratch. Plus Slash will want to bring to the table his own new ideas, probably more riff oriented material. If his ideas are good enough, will Axl try to develop those into full fledged songs? if he does, and Duff also will have ideas that means it will take longer to complete instead of just using an updated version of the unreleased Axl material.

My best guess is Axl wants to use some updated old material that he already completed with former musicians but he also wants the next Guns album to contain new tunes with new lyrics. Probably gonna be a hybrid of old n' new tunes. Axl tends to use old material if he thinks it's great and still reflects what he wants to convey.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Yep. That's a fun little one.  Even the lesser tracks on LTD are still enjoyable.

LTD great tracks: The Great Pretender, Boulevard of Broken Hearts, Driving Rain, Mind Your Manners

Good tracks: The One You Loved Is Gone, Read Between The Lines, Lost Inside The Girl, Serves You Right, Call Of The Wild

I think Sugar Cane was dismissed by many people because of the lyrics alone. It's such a kickass badass riff rocker. Much the same way Dirty Girl was dismissed by many, but that songs streaming numbers on Spotify don't lie, one of the most streamed songs from that album by far. It's an incredible rock song.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think Sugar Cane was dismissed by many people because of the lyrics alone. It's such a kickass badass riff rocker. Much the same way Dirty Girl was dismissed by many, but that songs streaming numbers on Spotify don't lie, one of the most streamed songs from that album by far. It's an incredible rock song.

There's something impish about the guitar riff in Sugar Cane that I find very appealing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

There's something impish about the guitar riff in Sugar Cane that I find very appealing.

Sugar Cane is a great song. Very fun.

I think many are giving Axl and Slash too much credit when it comes to this perfect chemistry that they share. Keep in mind, the last time these 2 released an album of original studio material together Izzy was part of that lineup, AND it was 30 years ago!!

Thirty years ago my neighbor friend and I were in acrobatics and we used to do crazy flips and catch one another off my parent's high standing, front porch. Guess what? I know longer have that friend to catch me and I sure as shit couldn't flip like that 30 years later.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, todreamofwolves said:

I think many are giving Axl and Slash too much credit when it comes to this perfect chemistry that they share. Keep in mind, the last time these 2 released an album of original studio material together Izzy was part of that lineup, AND it was 30 years ago!!

Thirty years ago my neighbor friend and I were in acrobatics and we used to do crazy flips and catch one another off my parent's high standing, front porch. Guess what? I know longer have that friend to catch me and I sure as shit couldn't flip like that 30 years later.

I said it's perfect. Doesn't mean they still 100% got it but I guess we're going to find out sooner or later. Also: making music is not like doing the weird shit you talked about with your neighbor on your parent's front porch all these years ago. It's not like acrobatics either.

Sometimes, if you had that kind of chemistry like Axl, Slash, and Duff had, it doesn't go away but I suppose it could. I personally believe musical sparks will fly and the 20 plus years break could actually make it more interesting for them to create.

And there are a lot of great Guns tunes that Axl n' Slash wrote without Izzy, even if I value greatly what he contributed to the band.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

I believe Axl, Slash, and Duff still share perfect musical chemistry. I also believe what Duff confirmed and Fortus said about Axl having a lot of unreleased material that is basically completed and I think there must be some great tunes in there.

They have a starting point, a direction. It's not like it was after UYI was released where they were kinda lost and didn't have a shared goal.

My hope is Slash will finally give enough of a fuck to really go for it after years of being too comfortable artistically speaking imo. I hope being back in Guns after 20 years and recording a new Guns album will be a big enough of a reason for him to give it his all. I'd like to believe he cares about the band legacy enough to deliver a great album. Duff seems to always get the job done.

I wonder how Axl will approach it this time: he seems to be attached to the unreleased material since he did play it for Slash and Duff and mentioned what they thought of it which means he cares what their opinion is on the matter. My guess he probably wants to use at least some of it, maybe rerecording some or all of the solos/bass lines now that Slash and Duff are available to him.

But he also wants to start tunes from lyrics and vocal melodies which to me means starting some material from scratch. Plus Slash will want to bring to the table his own new ideas, probably more riff oriented material. If his ideas are good enough, will Axl try to develop those into full fledged songs? if he does, and Duff also will have ideas that means it will take longer to complete instead of just using an updated version of the unreleased Axl material.

My best guess is Axl wants to use some updated old material that he already completed with former musicians but he also wants the next Guns album to contain new tunes with new lyrics. Probably gonna be a hybrid of old n' new tunes. Axl tends to use old material if he thinks it's great and still reflects what he wants to convey.

That's really close to what I believe as well. I would absolutely love Izzy to be there and write, same with Steven; I honestly think they put Guns over the top though, with Gilby and Matt, Fortus and Frank though, the core material can still be great, case in point is the music from Axl and Slash that seemed to lack Izzy from UYI, (at least writing wise), Coma, Dead Horse, Estranged. If Axl has some babies left to write and just needs input from the rest of the band, and no one is coming and going, the album should be fine! Unless Rose is completely beat from writing, which I don't think is the case, and neither does the cult of Chinese Democracy followers who seem to hype the other 30 or 40 tracks hidden in the vault

45 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

That's really close to what I believe as well. I would absolutely love Izzy to be there and write, same with Steven; I honestly think they put Guns over the top though, with Gilby and Matt, Fortus and Frank though, the core material can still be great, case in point is the music from Axl and Slash that seemed to lack Izzy from UYI, (at least writing wise), Coma, Dead Horse, Estranged. If Axl has some babies left to write and just needs input from the rest of the band, and no one is coming and going, the album should be fine! Unless Rose is completely beat from writing, which I don't think is the case, and neither does the cult of Chinese Democracy followers who seem to hype the other 30 or 40 tracks hidden in the vault

I think this line up is pretty stable and the relationship is really solid between Axl, Slash, and Duff. It seems like we've finally reached a time where all three of them are gonna work together as a unit (with the rest of the band members of course) to realize Axl's vision while still giving especially Slash but Duff as well enough space to shine.

I'm very optimistic about the quality of a possible next release but it remains to be seen if they can achieve something like Estranged or Coma or Civil War for example. These tunes were a product of a time where the band was at it's peak.

On the other hand I've learned not to underestimate Axl's and Slash's talent, or any of the Gunners for that matter. Axl could be sitting on a gold mind of tunes for all we know from 20 years ago. We don't know.

Slash and Fortus could prove to be a killer duo in the studio, maybe even bringing back a more Appetite approach when it comes to guitar interplay (not that it's possible to copy what Slash and Izzy achieved on that album)

When it comes to production I think Slash and Duff are just going to go with what Axl wants tbh but when it comes to input, I think Axl will use whatever sounds good and fits the musical puzzle no matter the source it came from within the band.

I'm a member of several cults, the "CD Followers Hype Cult" is one of them so I actually believe that in the 22 years that have passed since 1997, where Axl started the process of Chinese Democracy - the saga, he accumulated a ridiculous amount of material and that he never really stopped writing. Perhaps not all the time but DJ once said Axl was writing and playing new tunes on his piano in hotels which sounds like it might be true.

Anyway, I don't think there is shortage of great old tunes to work with, motivation, talent, or resources except time. The tour is not going to end soon and I suspect it will take a couple of years to complete a Gn'R album but to really work on it I feel like they need to first finish with the tour. Like... actually finish it and concentrate on the mission.

Edited by Rovim

3 hours ago, todreamofwolves said:

I kiiiinda get where you're going here but you're still reaching. Physical acts have a lot more to do with age than creativity does.

On 17.06.2019 at 5:26 PM, todreamofwolves said:

So why are you here? Just curious.

I hope the plan is to at least get one new song out there this year. Fortus hinted towards it earlier this year, said something like "hapefully you will hear a new song later this year.."

A movie tie-in would have been nice, but im not sure that Terminator is the right movie because it certainly smells a bit flop

The absolute best movie to attach a song to would be the new Bond-movie - we know Axl love these movies, Fortus has done some works for Bond games and usually has his Bond-solos in the set plus the cover of Live and let die. 

They have a bit of history with Bond and Bond is also making a huge comeback after some absent years.

On 17.6.2019 at 3:57 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

On 17.6.2019 at 2:59 PM, Towelie said:

I was listening to LTD yesterday after a while now and I still think it is a strong record with nice songwriting and really great solos. The solos are kind of back to the roots. I don't know how to explain but I think most of them could easily be on any GNR record.  They're just typically Slash. Classic Slash IMO. Well structured, with a direction. Love'em.

What I still don't like are these fast rockers like Driving Rain, Mind Your Manners and to a lesser degree The Call Of The Wild. They feel somehow bland and cheesy to me

Top songs: Serve You Right (despite the awful chorus), The One You Loved Is Gone, The Great Pretender, Read Between The Lines

Good songs: Boulevard of Broken Hearts, Slow Grind, Lost Inside The Girl

Ok songs: Sugar Cane, My Antidote, Call Of The Wild

Bad songs: Mind Your Manners, Driving Rain

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I was listening to LTD yesterday after a while now and I still think it is a strong record with nice songwriting and really great solos. The solos are kind of back to the roots. I don't know how to explain but I think most of them could easily be on any GNR record.  They're just typically Slash. Classic Slash IMO. Well structured, with a direction. Love'em.

What I still don't like are these fast rockers like Driving Rain, Mind Your Manners and to a lesser degree The Call Of The Wild. They feel somehow bland and cheesy to me

Top songs: Serve You Right (despite the awful chorus), The One You Loved Is Gone, The Great Pretender, Read Between The Lines

Nah man, Mind Your Manners and Driving Rain are two of the best on the record!

I agree about Slash's soloing, there are some really melodic and tasteful solos on the album. I also think LTD benefits from being a short, concise 12 track record. WOF seemed to go on forever.

Edited by Towelie

On 17.6.2019 at 3:59 PM, Towelie said:

Man have you heard the bassline in the intro? That song has many killer parts, but yeah the main riff is awesome because it's sort of a solo style lick turned into a riff, much like Withered Delilah

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Slash said in interviews that he didn't pick Driving Rain because it was the best song, but because it was the most "neutral" one. It has to work for radio. But even then I'd have picked Serve You Right as first single, then Call Of The Wild and the ballad 3rd. DR doesn't measure up against those songs, even though it's not by any means bad.

24 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Slash said in interviews that he didn't pick Driving Rain because it was the best song, but because it was the most "neutral" one. It has to work for radio. But even then I'd have picked Serve You Right as first single, then Call Of The Wild and the ballad 3rd. DR doesn't measure up against those songs, even though it's not by any means bad.

Nah, I think they chose right with Driving Rain and MYM. They're catchy and infectious and definitely made me excited to buy the album. 

7 hours ago, Towelie said:

Nah man, Mind Your Manners and Driving Rain are two of the best on the record!

I agree about Slash's soloing, there are some really melodic and tasteful solos on the album. I also think LTD benefits from being a short, concise 12 track record. WOF seemed to go on forever.

Yeah WOF is definitely a bit longer than needed. Now that he's got 3 albums out in SMKC it's interesting to go back and pick which songs are really good and which are more filler. Those are still good, just not as good as others.

On 6/15/2019 at 1:05 AM, Tom-Ass said:

If Tenderness was the best 11 songs out of 70 he had written, I hope Duff get's zero writing input on any new music.

Honestly, i enjoy it for its unique quality, and Duff did explicitly say those songs were used for his solo album because they weren't in the style of Guns. If people want generic rock shit, they can go for Slash's solo stuff. That said, i think Duff and Slash will bring some cool elements back to the band, and i can't wait to see what becomes of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 5:56 AM, Sydney Fan said:

Nice to see you round these parts again.

Fuck thats generous.

Thank you. I was considering changing my user name to Richard Marxxx.  I participate when I can but have less time these days to get involved.  I'm disappointed that GN'R were less active during the years when I had no kids and less career responsibilities. Cheers. 

2 hours ago, Eddie Money said:

Thank you. I was considering changing my user name to Richard Marxxx.  I participate when I can but have less time these days to get involved.  I'm disappointed that GN'R were less active during the years when I had no kids and less career responsibilities. Cheers. 

Gnr being less active = wasted opportunities. 

Im wondering with the new shows they are doing in october and potentially another round of touring next year whether they are trying to make up for lost time.