New song for the October shows?

12 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

3. Money wise, if they play a new song live before it's released, it makes the rounds and it sells less.   Just step back and think about it, if there is a new release on iTunes and you have heard it live already, you decide if you buy it based on how much you like it.  If you wake up one day and there is a new GnR song you've never heard on iTunes, you buy that sumbitch, you do not pass go, you do not speak to family members, you buy it, and proceed rock out with your cock out. 

I don't think so... the people who spend their days on a GNR forum would buy a new single whether it's played live first or not. But I don't think that applies to the majority of fans, actually I think playing a new song live before releasing it would benefit the band.

If they randomly drop a single, people will listen to it on the radio or youtube or spotify or whatever before they decide to buy it. If they play a new song live, and Axl introduces it with something to the effect of 'this will be available for download in 1-2 weeks', there would be anticipation and hype, it'd be a case of 'I hope the studio version is as good/better than the live version' instead of 'wtf is this gonna sound like?'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't think so... the people who spend their days on a GNR forum would buy a new single whether it's played live first or not. But I don't think that applies to the majority of fans, actually I think playing a new song live before releasing it would benefit the band.

If they randomly drop a single, people will listen to it on the radio or youtube or spotify or whatever before they decide to buy it. If they play a new song live, and Axl introduces it with something to the effect of 'this will be available for download in 1-2 weeks', there would be anticipation and hype, it'd be a case of 'I hope the studio version is as good/better than the live version' instead of 'wtf is this gonna sound like?'

Most of us hardcores will, yes.  But I think as you alluded to, we will no matter what the circumstance is.  Think about those fringe hardcores, though.  You buy your tickets for a GnR show in a few months, and you see they released a new song, you just gobble it up.  Remember, these casuals looking for the hits are still paying in the hundreds for tickets, so a 99 cent song is a no brainer.  The majority of the people going to these shows have disposable income.

I don't really disagree with other viewpoints on this, just kinda playing devils advocate and sharing my logic, you could absolutely be 100% correct, I just see it differently.   

I think the bottom line is a "surprise" single generates a lot more buzz.

• Like 1

Perhaps the reality is there is just too much anxiety on both sides regarding the potential of new material, and that's why they're opting to keep this endless tour going instead. Keep in mind, one of the primary issues that lead to the demise of the band back in the mid 90s was musical direction. Supposedly, Slash didn't want to push himself, and Axl just wanted to write industrial flavored Stephanie Seymour ballads. As early as a decade ago, Axl was interviewed and stated that he didn't really care for Slash's guitar playing, and according to Axl, Slash and Duff had told him that everything he was doing [90s] was crap, and that beat him down... and bad. Fast forward to the present.. has a lot really changed? Has Slash upped his game in terms of musical output over these last few years? Did Slash come to the realization that Axl's vision is where it's at, and now he's suddenly eager to put his stamp on that same era of Stephanie ballads?  We know that Axl said he played the material for Slash and Duff and that they liked it, but really, what else could Slash or Duff say? "Yeah. When we heard those other songs, we [Slash/Duff] looked at each other, like, how the hell are we supposed to polish this turd?" 

Yeah .. I'm sure that would have went over real well right before a 1/2 billion dollar reunion tour. I wouldn't be surprised if both sides would greatly prefer to keep this cash-grab going as opposed to engaging in a new feud which could ultimately put an end to the cash cow that ultimately lead to them reuniting to begin with. 

21 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

I think the bottom line is a "surprise" single generates a lot more buzz.

Hard to argue that. But I think given not only the bands history of debuting songs live, but Axl's fear of leaks and love of tinkering, that they may end up 'trying something' live before they release a studio version. Plus the 'keep them waiting' marketing mentality has worked for them so far - vague billboards and posters in different cities, leading up to NITL and the AFD box-set. I think the hype of 'GNR is gonna do something big [release a single] in a couple weeks' could have more impact than a surprise release though. The biggest benefit to a surprise single would be that people couldn't judge it beforehand, which is why I wouldn't totally disregard the idea but I don't think there's a high chance of it happening.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

i see them maybe playing a new song at those small vegas shows but i dont think we'll see anything new at those arena shows... those vegas shows seem odd and outta place

smaller venues make it much easier to assure theres no one in the crowd recording

You're theorizing that they booked Vegas dates just so they could play us a new song?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, todreamofwolves said:

You're theorizing that they booked Vegas dates just so they could play us a new song?

not necessarily. i just think its odd that they would play such a small venue at the end of such a huge tour... its wishful thinking on my part that theyll play new stuff or even that those will be the last two shows of the tour... maybe part of a live video shoot? idk... but i doubt its just because t-mobile was already booked...

also kinda reminds me of how they started the tour off with the troubadour gig... or how they ended the bumble/ashba era of gnr... and i know this is extremely wishful thinking but maybe theyll be saying goodbye to frank and richard lol

im trying not to be too realistic here and think its just another way to gouge fans for 1500$ a ticket

Edited by Hollywood Gunner

4 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I just don't see it. 

1. This isn't a band that is going to test new material.  Slash and Duff both literally released separate albums of untested material.  These guys don't lack confidence. 

2. New material isn't necessary for them to draw in fans.  The majority of people coming to the shows are there for the hits. 

3. Money wise, if they play a new song live before it's released, it makes the rounds and it sells less.   Just step back and think about it, if there is a new release on iTunes and you have heard it live already, you decide if you buy it based on how much you like it.  If you wake up one day and there is a new GnR song you've never heard on iTunes, you buy that sumbitch, you do not pass go, you do not speak to family members, you buy it, and proceed rock out with your cock out. 

I disagree. 

First of all, I agree they won't play new music.

If there ever is a GNR song you've never heard before I guarantee you 99% of the people who still spend money for music, will go to Youtube or Spotify to hear the song instead of directly buying it.

Many musicans and bands, Slash and Duff included, let their record get airplay in some kind of way, before it's officially released. There's no need to hide your music in days of Youtube and Spotify.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I disagree. 

First of all, I agree they won't play new music.

If there ever is a GNR song you've never heard before I guarantee you 99% of the people who still spend money for music, will go to Youtube or Spotify to hear the song instead of directly buying it.

Many musicans and bands, Slash and Duff included, let their record get airplay in some kind of way, before it's officially released. There's no need to hide your music in days of Youtube and Spotify.

I guess my main point of disagreement is over the people sitting on their hands during the new covers and CD songs.  People just don't react at the shows to the CD songs, or new covers the way they do to the well know hits.  I guess that people can argue that they "hate" the CD era songs, but I think that is false. I think they simply didn't know the songs and couldn't sing along like they could with WTTJ and SCOM. I believe the GnR fan is older, and not necessarily as internet savvy as we are.  My sister, and my best friend, for example, LOVE GnR, but would not kow about the leaks, or have known about Chinese Democracy (At release, I'd hope they would know by now) if I wasn't a freak of a fan scouring the internet for Axl rose fart noises that were somewhat melodic.  These are mostly older folks and I don't think they necessarily think like us.  The average show goer is old with disposable income, and I think GnR knows this, hence the box set with obscene pricing.  

In other words, your scenario is correct for US, for the people here, but I don't think we represent the unwashed masses that turned out in droves to see these guys live.  I always have some GnR swag up in my office at work, or on the road (I really am a freak of a fan) and it still shocks me when people are like "GnR, I love those guys! AFD is one of my favorite albums of all time!" and when I ask how they like Chinese Democracy they have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about.  Even as "savvy" as I consider myself, at 44, I didn't know what the fuck spotify was until people posted links on here.  I'd *heard* of it, but myself, like other old dotards thought it was a pay service and never looked at it.   I started following them when I was in 7th grade, so I'm on the younger side of "old school fans."  It makes me feel old, but the reality is that there are more grandparents than kids interested in my favorite band of all time.

I want to be super clear, I'm not arguing with you, I mean we both agree there will not be new music debuted at the shows, we disagree about why, but that's really it. 

1 minute ago, DeadSlash said:

Edited by DeadSlash
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

All you can do is look at how the band have acted in the past, each tour has always included the current work and the past. I don't see them changing that pattern.

Anyway we'll just have to wait and see.

But situation in the past was very different than the present one... CD wasn't a record from a "legacy band"... Next album will be... Better predictor isn't how band "acted in the past", but how other bands of simmilar status acts... Of course, there is a chance that it will be different (tbh, they would need AFD level record to do it), but I wouldn,t bet on it...

The vegas dates line up perfectly with the release of terminator 3.... I’m letting my mind wander here.... but maybe they will debut a forthcoming single?  

Nostalgia seems to be their thing so it’s always a possibility?

Axl: “perhaps a little bit more Arnold for you” : breaks into new song 🤘

6 hours ago, acor said:

But situation in the past was very different than the present one... CD wasn't a record from a "legacy band"... Next album will be... Better predictor isn't how band "acted in the past", but how other bands of simmilar status acts... Of course, there is a chance that it will be different (tbh, they would need AFD level record to do it), but I wouldn,t bet on it...

Nope, Axl is bullheaded and he will always be that way if he believes in the record (whether there's great sales or not) he will tour and tour and tour until he thinks it's reached people. 

GNR are NOT like other bands, so there's absolutely no point in trying to compare them.  However history repeats itself so I think that's the better indicator.

I'd also like to point out that we're still quite far off the next record... Nevermind the the record AFTER the next record. So we can cool our jets a little🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Gibbo said:

From December 2018. He was also saying how he mixed Rock The Rock.

64823117-384797338805346-587950165200365

Thanks for sharing, and makes sense. Everyone in the industry goes out of their way to emphasize how in this 'streaming era' they $$$ is in live shows, not in releasing albums. Although I agree with you that a live CD would potentially be easy money, even nowadays, and especially for a band as GNR, who dont have the best track record on releasing new stuff.

But yeah, in almost every topic nowadays its down to 'how long can they keep NITL going without looking ridiculous'. At some point the promotors and festivals arent going to pay top dollar for this anymore, and you'll need new material to justify another tour cycle.

Edited by LovelessNL

22 hours ago, todreamofwolves said:

Perhaps the reality is there is just too much anxiety on both sides regarding the potential of new material, and that's why they're opting to keep this endless tour going instead. Keep in mind, one of the primary issues that lead to the demise of the band back in the mid 90s was musical direction. Supposedly, Slash didn't want to push himself, and Axl just wanted to write industrial flavored Stephanie Seymour ballads. As early as a decade ago, Axl was interviewed and stated that he didn't really care for Slash's guitar playing, and according to Axl, Slash and Duff had told him that everything he was doing [90s] was crap, and that beat him down... and bad. Fast forward to the present.. has a lot really changed? Has Slash upped his game in terms of musical output over these last few years? Did Slash come to the realization that Axl's vision is where it's at, and now he's suddenly eager to put his stamp on that same era of Stephanie ballads?  We know that Axl said he played the material for Slash and Duff and that they liked it, but really, what else could Slash or Duff say? "Yeah. When we heard those other songs, we [Slash/Duff] looked at each other, like, how the hell are we supposed to polish this turd?" 

Yeah .. I'm sure that would have went over real well right before a 1/2 billion dollar reunion tour. I wouldn't be surprised if both sides would greatly prefer to keep this cash-grab going as opposed to engaging in a new feud which could ultimately put an end to the cash cow that ultimately lead to them reuniting to begin with. 

So... you think they're scared? anxiety? I doubt it. I think a new Guns album is a big deal for Axl so it demands a lot of time and work put into it and they've been mostly busy with a gigantic tour plus Slash is on tour right now with Myles and The Conspirators, not to mention the additional NITL dates they've got lined up for this year and probably next year as well.

I don't think they really had the chance to properly go in the studio and focus just on recording. Perhaps that's the reality.

Also... yes, a lot has changed. Slash and Duff decided they were gonna play Chinese tunes live without Axl asking them to do so and Axl decided on his own to play Slither.

With all of the industrial talk and Steph ballads, Chinese Democracy mostly doesn't sound that different to what you can expect from a modern Guns album. It just mainly lacks Slash's riffs and solos and there are more modern influences there. (also Izzy's style of writing is missed) Nothing earth shattering except maybe Shackler's Revenge. When it comes to ballads, Slash has released much softer ones compared to what Axl has released on Chinese like Gotten for example.

And even when Chinese Democracy came out Slash had positive things to say about it. Recently he said how much he loves playing Chinese Democracy the song and he seems to be into it live as well (even 11 years ago when it came out as a single Slash said in an interview that he liked it) and said in interviews how Bucket is "fuckin' amazing" as a guitar player.

I think they are willing to compromise now in the best sense of the term. This is why I believe it's likely that they will find middle ground in the studio and they have a real chance of completing another Guns album together that will not disappoint.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

So... you think they're scared? anxiety? I doubt it. I think a new Guns album is a big deal for Axl so it demands a lot of time and work put into it and they've been mostly busy with a gigantic tour plus Slash is on tour right now with Myles and The Conspirators, not to mention the additional NITL dates they've got lined up for this year and probably next year as well.

I don't think they really had a chance to properly go in the studio and focus just on recording. Perhaps that's the reality.

Also... yes, a lot has changed. Slash and Duff decided they were gonna play Chinese tunes live without Axl asking them to do so and Axl decided on his own to play Slither.

With all of the industrial talk and Steph ballads, Chinese Democracy mostly doesn't sound that different to what you can expect from a modern Guns album. It just mainly lacks Slash's riffs and solos and there are more modern influences there. (also Izzy's style of writing is missed) Nothing earth shattering except maybe Shackler's Revenge. When it comes to ballads, Slash has released much softer ones compared to what Axl has released on Chinese like Gotten for example.

And even when Chinese Democracy came out Slash had positive things to say about it. Recently he said how much he loves playing Chinese Democracy the song and he seems to be into it live as well (even 11 years ago when it came out as a single Slash said in an interview that he liked it) and said in interviews how Bucket is "fuckin' amazing" as a guitar player.

I think they are willing to compromise now in the best sense of the term. This is why I believe it's likely that they will find middle ground in the studio and they have a real chance to complete another Guns album together that will not disappoint.

Let's hope that it's gonna be this way...imagine this, they're having a blast in the studio and everything gets done really fast. Then the album comes out next year and becomes a huge success. Then, because of all of this, they start working on a follow up immediately. Slash is so busy and happy with Guns that he declares the end of his collaboration with Myles & the Conspirators and apologizes for their boring albums!
Ah, the possibilities! :D

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, trqster said:

Why should Axl change a plenty tested and proven successful setlist for these shows? Makes no sense to me. So my bet is more of the "same" and it's fine. 

Missed this one....10 days old already....maybe even posted before...
But this is also "more of the same"...

Come on Axl...Would love to hear this one again !

They should absolutely drop all the covers (Seeker, Black Hole Sun, Wichita, even Rosie) and the horribly paced midsection with Wish You Were Here into NR into KOHD. Drop KOHD or shorten it  by half it's length, same for Rocket Queen.

Drop This I Love and You Could Be Mine unless Axl finds his 2010 mojo again. A shorter, tighter set would go a long way in lieu of not playing brand-new material (which won't happen I'm afraid). Add Dead Horse, You're Crazy (Lies), You Ain't the First and some CD tracks that haven't gotten attention. Alternate Sorry with The Blues or IRS. Try out OMG. Keep Slither and Shadow. Doing all of this would make me not care so much about them touring the hits and not promoting new material.