Jump to content
Bailey15

New song for the October shows?

Recommended Posts

they've never been at a loss for material (duff - 2019)

read: nope, not a chance in hell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, acor said:

 When (or rather if) new album comes out, they're gonna play max 3 songs out of it (probably singles), then will drop them out entirely the very next tour... Holy shit, don't people know how old, nostalgic rock dinosaur bands operates???

Based on??? I mean on the NITL tour they played more CD material than that! They actually ramped up how much CD material they were playing if anything. Your post has no relevance to GNR. The only thing you were accurate was the "IF" in the question of the next GNR record being released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gibbo said:

My guess is Streets Of Dreams or a cover at best. I wonder if they will re-add This I love after it got canned.

More cd songs 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Based on??? I mean on the NITL tour they played more CD material than that! They actually ramped up how much CD material they were playing if anything. Your post has no relevance to GNR. The only thing you were accurate was the "IF" in the question of the next GNR record being released.

 

Based on setlists of other artists of simmilar status... 

 

CD is totally  different case, and after all this shit Axl went through to make CD, and his attempts to validate this Era, they simply can't abandon it... Actually CD situation is something so unpreceeded, that I don't even know what to compare it with... Name another album that was "recorded" for more than decade, and became a meme... They basically have two options- to embrace it, or to confirm it was one big mistake (and it's no option due to band leader's ego...).

They will play CD songs for next 20 years, I'm sure about it... I'm not sure if they will play songs from hypothetical new album 2 years after release...

Edited by acor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

There all holding out for trades what they don't understand is outside of what they have there is nothing out there to trade with.

So true. Not even the lower tier stuff like the 2002 VMA Rehearsal or the 2009 Soundcheck will leak lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ApacheChief42 said:

So true. Not even the lower tier stuff like the 2002 VMA Rehearsal or the 2009 Soundcheck will leak lmao

2009 rehearsal never leaked as such but the amount of people who have it is pretty crazy.

 

I don't see the point in it myself no Axl no party.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

2009 rehearsal never leaked as such but the amount of people who have it is pretty crazy.

 

I don't see the point in it myself no Axl no party.

yeah it would be good if there was footage of axl and nu gnr rehearsing a few days before the house of blues show in 2001 or audio of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, billy rose bailey said:

could you imagine they played oh my god or silkworms or checkmate Jackie chan for the first time

2 of those 4 songs have already been played live. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

2 of those 4 songs have already been played live. 

2 of those 3... 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

2 of those 3... 😉

Yep, my bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bailey15 said:

Many members of the band have hinted that they've begun working on unreleased material (recycled CD songs with Axl +Duff+ Slash or brand new material).

 

Does anyone think they will premiere one or more of these new songs during the October shows?

I'm sorry, but I think they won't, maybe a new cover or maybe songs that were not played during the first and second legs of the tour.

This is the third leg, am I right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A lot of you who said it's 100 % sure they can't do it were the same who said "never Axl will sing Shadow of you love". If I remember well you were saying it's impossible with his voice. please let's said we can have a suprise. We had so many the last couple of years (re-formation, big tour, rock the rock ;), shadow of your love and the coffret, Slash in Axl's studio.... etc)

 

Edited by AxlSlashthebest
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Like others, I agree that playing a new song live prior to release doesn’t make sense in this day and age. If the rumors of them dropping a one-off single this fall are true, then fine. But if not, I’d say it’s better for them to wait.

With that being said, the back catalog songs I’d like to see come back are;

You’re Crazy (Acoustic), You Ain’t the First, Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up, So Fine, and Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Acoustic),

and if Axl’s voice can handle it;

pretty much anything else they haven’t played since 2014 or before.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

2 of those 4 songs have already been played live. 

yeah checkmate and Jackie chan is the same song and silkworms and oh my god haven't been played since 2001 and oh my god was on a alternate setlist last year I think as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, billy rose bailey said:

yeah checkmate and Jackie chan is the same song and silkworms and oh my god haven't been played since 2001 and oh my god was on a alternate setlist last year I think as well 

Right, so 2 of the 3 songs you mentioned have already been played live. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, billy rose bailey said:

what if the new album is the best guns n roses album ever. does that mean they shouldn't play amazing songs?

I just don't see it. 

1. This isn't a band that is going to test new material.  Slash and Duff both literally released separate albums of untested material.  These guys don't lack confidence. 

2. New material isn't necessary for them to draw in fans.  The majority of people coming to the shows are there for the hits. 

3. Money wise, if they play a new song live before it's released, it makes the rounds and it sells less.   Just step back and think about it, if there is a new release on iTunes and you have heard it live already, you decide if you buy it based on how much you like it.  If you wake up one day and there is a new GnR song you've never heard on iTunes, you buy that sumbitch, you do not pass go, you do not speak to family members, you buy it, and proceed rock out with your cock out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, acor said:

 

Based on setlists of other artists of simmilar status... 

 

CD is totally  different case, and after all this shit Axl went through to make CD, and his attempts to validate this Era, they simply can't abandon it... Actually CD situation is something so unpreceeded, that I don't even know what to compare it with... Name another album that was "recorded" for more than decade, and became a meme... They basically have two options- to embrace it, or to confirm it was one big mistake (and it's no option due to band leader's ego...).

They will play CD songs for next 20 years, I'm sure about it... I'm not sure if they will play songs from hypothetical new album 2 years after release...

All you can do is look at how the band have acted in the past, each tour has always included the current work and the past. I don't see them changing that pattern.

Anyway we'll just have to wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

3. Money wise, if they play a new song live before it's released, it makes the rounds and it sells less.   Just step back and think about it, if there is a new release on iTunes and you have heard it live already, you decide if you buy it based on how much you like it.  If you wake up one day and there is a new GnR song you've never heard on iTunes, you buy that sumbitch, you do not pass go, you do not speak to family members, you buy it, and proceed rock out with your cock out. 

I don't think so... the people who spend their days on a GNR forum would buy a new single whether it's played live first or not. But I don't think that applies to the majority of fans, actually I think playing a new song live before releasing it would benefit the band.

If they randomly drop a single, people will listen to it on the radio or youtube or spotify or whatever before they decide to buy it. If they play a new song live, and Axl introduces it with something to the effect of 'this will be available for download in 1-2 weeks', there would be anticipation and hype, it'd be a case of 'I hope the studio version is as good/better than the live version' instead of 'wtf is this gonna sound like?'

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't think so... the people who spend their days on a GNR forum would buy a new single whether it's played live first or not. But I don't think that applies to the majority of fans, actually I think playing a new song live before releasing it would benefit the band.

If they randomly drop a single, people will listen to it on the radio or youtube or spotify or whatever before they decide to buy it. If they play a new song live, and Axl introduces it with something to the effect of 'this will be available for download in 1-2 weeks', there would be anticipation and hype, it'd be a case of 'I hope the studio version is as good/better than the live version' instead of 'wtf is this gonna sound like?'

Most of us hardcores will, yes.  But I think as you alluded to, we will no matter what the circumstance is.  Think about those fringe hardcores, though.  You buy your tickets for a GnR show in a few months, and you see they released a new song, you just gobble it up.  Remember, these casuals looking for the hits are still paying in the hundreds for tickets, so a 99 cent song is a no brainer.  The majority of the people going to these shows have disposable income.

I don't really disagree with other viewpoints on this, just kinda playing devils advocate and sharing my logic, you could absolutely be 100% correct, I just see it differently.   

 

I think the bottom line is a "surprise" single generates a lot more buzz.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the reality is there is just too much anxiety on both sides regarding the potential of new material, and that's why they're opting to keep this endless tour going instead. Keep in mind, one of the primary issues that lead to the demise of the band back in the mid 90s was musical direction. Supposedly, Slash didn't want to push himself, and Axl just wanted to write industrial flavored Stephanie Seymour ballads. As early as a decade ago, Axl was interviewed and stated that he didn't really care for Slash's guitar playing, and according to Axl, Slash and Duff had told him that everything he was doing [90s] was crap, and that beat him down... and bad. Fast forward to the present.. has a lot really changed? Has Slash upped his game in terms of musical output over these last few years? Did Slash come to the realization that Axl's vision is where it's at, and now he's suddenly eager to put his stamp on that same era of Stephanie ballads?  We know that Axl said he played the material for Slash and Duff and that they liked it, but really, what else could Slash or Duff say? "Yeah. When we heard those other songs, we [Slash/Duff] looked at each other, like, how the hell are we supposed to polish this turd?" 

Yeah .. I'm sure that would have went over real well right before a 1/2 billion dollar reunion tour. I wouldn't be surprised if both sides would greatly prefer to keep this cash-grab going as opposed to engaging in a new feud which could ultimately put an end to the cash cow that ultimately lead to them reuniting to begin with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

I think the bottom line is a "surprise" single generates a lot more buzz.

Hard to argue that. But I think given not only the bands history of debuting songs live, but Axl's fear of leaks and love of tinkering, that they may end up 'trying something' live before they release a studio version. Plus the 'keep them waiting' marketing mentality has worked for them so far - vague billboards and posters in different cities, leading up to NITL and the AFD box-set. I think the hype of 'GNR is gonna do something big [release a single] in a couple weeks' could have more impact than a surprise release though. The biggest benefit to a surprise single would be that people couldn't judge it beforehand, which is why I wouldn't totally disregard the idea but I don't think there's a high chance of it happening.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×