this is also one of the blank spaces in my mind's chronology. we know that the very first show of the band (3rd January 1984) was already under "Rose" name. 

the last Rapidfire show happened at 28th May 1983, sometime after that Axl went on to form AXL/Rose/HR, but the whole second half of 1983 is more or less a mystery to me.

7 hours ago, Shackler's said:

When did Rose play under the name AXL? I remember reading that they played their first few shows under that name, but it's uncertain to my knowledge how many they played.

This is a bit unclear to me, too. Originally it was Axl's Lafayette friends who came up with "AXL" as a potential band name. This could imply that this all happened in Lafayette. Axl would refer to this band also as a "project" and that Izzy and him were looking for guys to the band, implying that it might never actually have been a fully-formed band. Whether this happened before or after Axl moved to LA, is also unclear to me. Regardless, at some point Izzy suggested to Axl that he should call himself "Axl" because he had been so involved in the band/project. We know that Axl went by "Bill Bailey" for his first time in LA, so likely the name change at least took place in LA.

If I were to guess I would probably say that it was a project that Axl (=Bill) brought with him when he moved to LA after Izzy, and that the two of them tried to find musicians to join the band while in LA, eventually leading to Bill changing his name although the band never really happened (possibly because Axl and Izzy got involved in other bands). 

2 hours ago, zombux said:

this is also one of the blank spaces in my mind's chronology. we know that the very first show of the band (3rd January 1984) was already under "Rose" name. 

the last Rapidfire show happened at 28th May 1983, sometime after that Axl went on to form AXL/Rose/HR, but the whole second half of 1983 is more or less a mystery to me.

Wasn't HR formed directly after the last Rapidfire show? Izzy showed up at their last gig and he and Axl took off to form AXL, from my understanding.

5 hours ago, zombux said:

yes, I got the same impression, especially after reading this topic here http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=215

Just read that topic and I had no idea that Mike Hammernik from Rapidfire was involved with the guys back in Indiana. If this is correct, I assume that Mike was, like Axl and Izzy, an Indiana native who moved to California and both he and Axl joined Rapidfire. Either that, or it's an error and he wasn't involved in Indiana at all. Do we have a source about this?

14 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Just read that topic and I had no idea that Mike Hammernik from Rapidfire was involved with the guys back in Indiana. If this is correct, I assume that Mike was, like Axl and Izzy, an Indiana native who moved to California and both he and Axl joined Rapidfire. Either that, or it's an error and he wasn't involved in Indiana at all. Do we have a source about this?

That is my problem with that site, there are no citations to primary sources. Hence, I can't add that information to the history work I am doing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

I think it's an error (I further erroneously repeated later in that topic). the original website lists AXL (Lafayette) as only 4 piece - Bill Bailey, Paul Tobias, Dave Lank and Jeff Isabelle. Mike Hammernik seems to only enter the scene in LA.

also, there was a similar topic here

10 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

cause axl doesn't know how to not have the biggest ego he called his band axl then took the name he always comes first he should have better manners

Can you imagine if he didn't take the name?

Billlll!

Bill! Bill! Bill Bill!

Fuckin' Bill, dude!

Edited by Ant
  • Haha 1

On 2019-06-24 at 9:24 AM, zombux said:

AXL was the original name. After maybe 2 or 3 shows, the name was changed to Rose.

Source: https://rocksverige.se/intervju-chris-weber-om-hollywood-rose/