The Mysterious Gear Used on AFD - Ultimate Guitar article

4 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Slash also has a 1959 Super Lead that he later had Tim Caswell mod for him – he used that amp for the second Velvet Revolver record and all of his solo records.

This part is incorrect. That amp is a Marshall JCM800 2203 that was modded by Frank Levi, and it hasn't been used on all of the solo records, only the self titled one and Apocalyptic Love. I think he used it a little on the 1st VR album as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

This part is incorrect. That amp is a Marshall JCM800 2203 that was modded by Frank Levi, and it hasn't been used on all of the solo records, only the self titled one and Apocalyptic Love. I think he used it a little on the 1st VR album as well.

Lol...I didn't write it, just posted it. 😊

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Prior to the recording of AFD, Slash was broke. He was playing B.C. Rich Warlocks and Mockingbirds and had even borrowed a black Stratocaster from someone for a show or two. Some accounts of the guitars used on the album are conflicting but as Slash stated in an interview in 2010 with Noisecreep “I was really broke and I hocked all my decent guitars before we went into the studio to make Appetite for Destruction, all I had left were a B.C. Rich Warlock and two Jackson guitars, a Firebird, and a prototype archtop Strat-style guitar. I brought them all into the recording studio for the Appetite session and they all sounded horrible. I was like, ‘Fuck, what do I do? I have to do the overdubs and I have no instrument.” Slash goes on to say that his manager brought him the Les Paul the next morning.

Does this mean Slash did all his rhythm parts on the guitars mentioned above and “overdubs” only with the Les Paul style guitar? I assume he means overdubs and solos? 

7 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Lol...I didn't write it, just posted it. 😊

I know, just clearing it up for everyone reading it.

59 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Does this mean Slash did all his rhythm parts on the guitars mentioned above and “overdubs” only with the Les Paul style guitar? I assume he means overdubs and solos? 

Yes that's correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

That's not what it necessarily means. An "overdub" can be pretty much any track when multitracking. If he laid a rhythm track over drums and bass, that is an overdub

Yep. Pretty sure all guitars on the final versions are overdubs in that sense.

• Like 1

I love how "legend" Slash's AFD amp is.

There's been so much written/spoken/speculated upon that particular piece of gear and there's all these elaborate stories about which mod it really is. People totally get into it. 

At one point, the story went that Slash's amp was the same amp that George Lynch used to rent, so that became its own urban legend. Go watch the Jonesy Jukebox with Adler and George Lynch. It's hilarious. Steven won't shut up and George keeps looking at this guy like he's going to need a jaw replacement. At one point, Adler starts listing all of Lynch's accomplishments and is putting him over huge - which further makes Lynch uncomfortable. Adler then launches into the story of how Slash and George have the same legendary amp and George just looks at Adler like he's crazy. Which he is.

2 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

I love how "legend" Slash's AFD amp is.

There's been so much written/spoken/speculated upon that particular piece of gear and there's all these elaborate stories about which mod it really is. People totally get into it. 

At one point, the story went that Slash's amp was the same amp that George Lynch used to rent, so that became its own urban legend. Go watch the Jonesy Jukebox with Adler and George Lynch. It's hilarious. Steven won't shut up and George keeps looking at this guy like he's going to need a jaw replacement. At one point, Adler starts listing all of Lynch's accomplishments and is putting him over huge - which further makes Lynch uncomfortable. Adler then launches into the story of how Slash and George have the same legendary amp and George just looks at Adler like he's crazy. Which he is.

Fun fact: not only did they use the same amp but before Adam Day came to work for Slash he used to be Lynch's tech.