4. Hollywood
  5. Little Dancer
  6. Draw The Line

2012 - Adler's Appetite - Alive

1. Alive
  2. Stardog
  3. Fading
  4. Alive [Instrumental]

Then there are some titles floating around like "Cindy", "Sadder Days", "Can't Get Back", "Keeping Satisfied" that I don't have, and any other titles that might be floating around.

Some of those titles are apparently Road Crew songs from after Steven was kicked from GN'R and he reformed the band. Please help me out ;)

ALSO: I'd love to know what songs Steven Adler guests on with other musicians! 

Edited by Shackler's
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shackler's said:

Some of those titles are apparently Road Crew songs from after Steven was kicked from GN'R and he reformed the band. Please help me out ;)

Back in like 1991/1992 Steven formed Road Crew. It was with the members of the band called Vain. As I recall reading the songs they had were just Vain songs with Steven playing drums. I still have a picture of them from Hit Parader magazine. They had some buzz around them because of Steven but they broke up quickly because of Steven's still ongoing drug problems. However, I don't recall hearing anything they recorded.  This is all from memory.

2 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Back in like 1991/1992 Steven formed Road Crew. It was with the members of the band called Vain. As I recall reading the songs they had were just Vain songs with Steven playing drums. I still have a picture of them from Hit Parader magazine. They had some buzz around them because of Steven but they broke up quickly because of Steven's still ongoing drug problems. However, I don't recall hearing anything they recorded.  This is all from memory.

I read on GNREvolution that he appears on two of their albums, "Move On It" [1993] & "Fade" [1995], however Discogs doesn't say anything about it and I haven't researched it too much either.

3 minutes ago, Shackler's said:

I read on GNREvolution that he appears on two of their albums, "Move On It" [1993] & "Fade" [1995], however Discogs doesn't say anything about it and I haven't researched it too much either.

I do not believe that is true. Here's a quote from Road Crue Wikipedia.

After being fired from GN'R Adler would join the heavy metal group Vain.The band, who had by then recorded two albums, and whose lineup consisted at that time of singer Davy Vain, guitarists Jamie Scott and bassist Ashley Mitchell, as well as guitarist Shawn Rorie who had joined after the second album was completed, renamed themselves Road Crew and proceeded to record an album. However, despite gaining attention from a record label, the group disbanded due to Adler's drug problems at the time.

Following the breakup, Adler briefly joined BulletBoys, before forming the group Suki Jones, which eventually became Adler's Appetite, performing on and off with the band since 2003. Following the breakup of Adler's Appetite, he formed Adler in 2011.

3 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

I do not believe that is true. Here's a quote from Road Crue Wikipedia.

After being fired from GN'R Adler would join the heavy metal group Vain.The band, who had by then recorded two albums, and whose lineup consisted at that time of singer Davy Vain, guitarists Jamie Scott and bassist Ashley Mitchell, as well as guitarist Shawn Rorie who had joined after the second album was completed, renamed themselves Road Crew and proceeded to record an album. However, despite gaining attention from a record label, the group disbanded due to Adler's drug problems at the time.

Following the breakup, Adler briefly joined BulletBoys, before forming the group Suki Jones, which eventually became Adler's Appetite, performing on and off with the band since 2003. Following the breakup of Adler's Appetite, he formed Adler in 2011.

Thank for clearing this up! About that album - is anything circulating from that? Artwork maybe?

This is what I have from Steven post GN'R :

Roadcrew did either an album or demos of which 6 with Steven on drums slowly got released on 3 Vain albums over the years  (and 2 or maybe 3 other Roadcrew tunes without Steven on drums):

1) Move On It - Breakdown, Family & Get Up

2) Fade - Can't Get Back (also includes the Roadcrew song "Dee Dee" without Steven on drums & "Holdin On" may also be a Roadcrew tune)

3) Enough Rope - Cindy, Worship You (also includes the Roadcrew Song "Enough Rope" without Steven on drums).

I also have a bootleg video of Roadcrew from the Limelight in NY with Tool opening. If you google you'll find the poster for this show. They play 6 of the songs above (all the ones on the Vain albums with Steven except for Worship You, but they do play Enough Rope). They also do the Vain tunes Icy & Beat the Bullet and a cover of Voodoo Child.

After that he was on the Adler's Appetite EP which was released and you mention above (6 songs)

Then came a 4 track Adler's Appetite EP with Sheldon Tarsha singing that never got released, but I have the tunes they are :

1) Keep Satisfied

2) Wreck of My Life

3) Execution Style

4) Sadder Days

Around this time he did a session with Izzy and I think they did 3 tracks, but only 1 has got out there : "Do You Love Me". (I don't know what the others are).

I think next was "Baby Can't Drive" from the Slash album.

Then I think it was the Alive EP which you have details on. (3 songs, I won't count the instrumental version)

Then the Adler Z' Nuff EP, which has the details in the post above. (5 songs)

Then the Adler album. (11 songs)

So all up, I've got 37 studio tracks from Adler post GN'R, plus 2 or 3 Roadcrew songs which got released without Steven on Drums and most likely there are a couple more tunes from the sessions with Izzy.

ETA : seems I missed one 'All Day and All of the Night' with Chip Z' Nuff and Robin Zander

Edited by Euchre
  • Like 1

Steven’s Wikipedia says he plays on 3 songs from Vain’s 1995 album Fade. The songs were Breakdown (ironically), Cindy, and Cant Get Back.

He was also in BulletBoys in 1999, with DJ Ashba, but they didn’t record anything during this stint. I wonder if he remembered who DJ was after he joined GnR.

Edited by rocknroll41

A little known side fact is that there was a legal dispute over the name "Roadcrew" between Slash and Steven.

Slash applied to register the name to himself in October 1991.

1991_111.jpg

Then, in December, Steven tried to register it to himself (although in an interview published in October 1991 he claimed that he had already copyrighted it):

1991_110.jpg

Slash won the registration with the Trademarks Office and he owned the Roadcrew name until 1999 (then he probably didn't renew the registration).

Slash said that the name Roadcrew was one of Steven's demands in the lawsuit he had filed against GnR in 1991:

Slash: Okay, Road Crew was a name that I came up with. It was a while before Guns N’ Roses even started and before I even met Axl. And there was different versions of it, you know, I could never find a singer, so it didn’t do that much. And there was one point when I did have a singer when we played a bunch of places. I’d known Steve previous to that and he was in the band for a couple of weeks; when we first met Duff and we rehearsed together, we had a big fallout and we broke up. [...] Anyway, just recently I find out that Steven has started a new band called Road Crew and I was like, he had nothing to do this; and I’m like, where does he get off? [...]. I trademarked the name and everything. [...] So my message to Steven is just leave it alone, don’t – because he doesn’t want to mess with me. Steven knows that. He doesn’t want to get started. And I haven’t hassled him at all. So it’s, like, time to think of a new name, because it’s something that it’s just... You know, I don’t want to go “It’s mine, mine, mine.” It’s just, like, real personal to me, and I think he should go out and do his own thing anyway, you know? […] and it’s a cool name too. It’s, like, perfect for a heavy metal garage band that I want to, like, sort of do, you know, on the side or something. So that’s my feelings on it. I got a fax from his attorney saying - One of the contentions in this lawsuit that Steven and Guns N’ Roses have been going through was, “... and I want the rights to the name Road Crew.” You know, anytime somebody comes up to you and challenges you like that, for me, it makes me just want to go out and fight. It’s part of my nature, so if that’s what he wants to do, then fine. [...]  [[I have trademarked the name], that’s why he was forced to ask, you know, or demand the rights in this deal that he was trying to come up with, so that we can settle on the whole breakup story [...]. [MTV, July 20, 1992]

• Like 1

The split with Guns N' Roses hit Steven hard:

Steven: "Besides losing my best friends and my family, which was that band, my wife also left me… […] I was married and my wife left me. First the band treats me like I'm dead, then my wife leaves me. And at that point I was feeling so sorry for myself it was ridiculous" [Hot Metal, December 1991].

Not long after being fired, Steven briefly attempted to form a new band with former Hanoi Rocks guitarist Andy McCoy [VOX, October 1991]. According to an anonymous GN'R member "it lasted maybe a couple of weeks, then someone overdosed over at the house and that was that" [VOX, October 1991].
Later Steven pieced together another band that included former members of the Vain [Hot Metal, December 1991]. The band was called Road Crew, the same name of the band Slash and Steven had in 1983, before Guns N' Roses" [Circus Magazine, October 1991].

Steven: "I loved the name of that band, and it's copywritten under my name. Slash has Guns N' Roses, so I got Road Crew [Circus Magazine, October 1991].

Steven would further claim he had been clean for "more than six months" and that people could "expect a tour and album by summer 1992" [Circus Magazine, October 1991].
Slash was not happy about Steven resurrecting the 'Road Crew' band name:

Slash: "Okay, Road Crew was a name that I came up with. It was a while before Guns N’ Roses even started and before I even met Axl. And there was different versions of it, you know, I could never find a singer, so it didn’t do that much. And there was one point when I did have a singer when we played a bunch of places. I’d known Steve previous to that and he was in the band for a couple of weeks; when we first met Duff and we rehearsed together, we had a big fallout and we broke up. And that’s when Guns N’ Roses consequently started to come together. Anyway, just recently I find out that Steven has started a new band called Road Crew and I was like, he had nothing to do this; and I’m like, where does he get off? You know, I haven’t even hassled him in the press or anything, nothing compared to what he said about us, and finally I just got to the point where I was like, “No”. Because it’s just personal to me and if I ever did, like, some sort of outside project from Guns N’ Roses, I don’t want to have that taken away from me, especially because he had nothing to do with it. So I feel a little bit... agitated; I think this is a good word for it (laughs) […] I trademarked the name and everything" [MTV, July 20, 1992].

Not happy at all:

Slash: "So I don’t know what he’s gonna do. But if he had any kind of imagination, or any sense of integrity, or any brains whatsoever, he wouldn’t have used it in the first place. At this point, I’m going, don’t use it, because if you do, there’s gonna be a big conflict, because I will defend it, you know? […] I don’t talk to that guy anymore. (Whispering) He’s a fucking idiot [MTV, July 20, 1992].

And when confronted with Steven claiming he had been in 'Road Crew ' longer than three weeks, Slash would respond:

Slash: "No. The band round was for a year. We just rehearsed in a little room on Highland in Hollywood for – I mean, literally - a couple of weeks; like, maybe, seven songs we got through. And Duff can attest to that too, because all three of us went through it together. So my message to Steven is just leave it alone, don’t – because he doesn’t want to mess with me. Steven knows that. He doesn’t want to get started. And haven’t hassled him at all. So it’s, like, time to think of a new name, because it’s something that it’s just... You know, I don’t want to go “It’s mine, mine, mine.” It’s just, like, real personal to me, and I think he should go out and do his own thing anyway, you know? […] and it’s a cool name too. It’s, like, perfect for a heavy metal garage band that I want to, like, sort of do, you know, on the side or something. So that’s my feelings on it. I got a fax from his attorney saying - One of the contentions in this lawsuit that Steven and Guns N’ Roses have been going through was, “... and I want the rights to the name Road Crew.” You know, anytime somebody comes up to you and challenges you like that, for me, it makes me just want to go out and fight. It’s part of my nature, so if that’s what he wants to do, then fine" [MTV, July 20, 1992].

And when asked if Steven's lawyer would be aware that Slash owed the rights:

Slash: "Yeah, but that’s why he was forced to ask, you know, or demand the rights in this deal that he was trying to come up with, so that we can settle on the whole breakup story; which is the whole thing in itself" [MTV, July 20, 1992].

In November 1992 it would be reported that Steven was still struggling with addiction and that he had been fired from Road Crew and that the band had changed name to Vain (after Davy Vain) [Popular 1, November 1992].

I had that hot metal magazine with the interview with both steven and davey vain. In the interview steven from my view seemed coherant and could put a sentence togethrr so i thought he had kicked his addiction and was eager to see what music may have transpired. Was not meant to be.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...