Raz Cue - An Open Letter To Duff McKagan

Sosso

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

You say Izzy was the only other GN'R member there, and you don't know the people who assaulted you, other than Axl and a friend of Duff's. Can you please tell us why Slash was charged if he was not involved then?

He was never charged. 

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Okay, thanks. Do you have any pictures with Axl from that time?

I got rid of all of them in my Twenties. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/people.com/archive/cover-story-bye-bye-love-vol-42-no-3/amp/

http://ladydairhean.0catch.com/Axl/relationships.htm

Theres a ton of stuff out there about his cases with Stephanie and Erin. I think Erin was called as witness in Stephanie’s trial initially. 

Its a no brainer he’s violent with women, his own statements (if quoted accurately) point to that.

“The rape charges settled my hormones for a while” 

HUH? 

There’s been no mention of violence as such by the rest of the band members (as far as I am aware) against women in the same way or frequency as with Axl. Some shit happened with a girl or girls in chicago also while they were rehearsing for the illusions albums. 

In all honesty, the way these people lived their lives has been apparent from the start with the release of Appetite. And it was real. It wasn’t put on. 

They themselves spoke about people coming into their sphere and getting spat out. 

The people who got spat out might have something to say now. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Not my intention and sorry if it came off that way. I keep seeing "lack of evidence" bandied about here but many times there just isn't any in sexual assault/rape cases. I don't see that as a disqualifier for the victim necessarily.

All good. And neither do I. 

Common sense and from what people who have known him have said over the past few decades. He doesn't have a reputation for treating women very well. I didn't realize this was something open to interpretation.

I know about his reputation, but again, he was the famous one in those relationships, therefor- a target. We know very little to nothing about the other parties.

So only court verdicts count? You don't see the problem in assessing things through such a myopic lens?

Not necessarilly, but for the most part-yes, court verdicts are what matters( and yes, im aware those can go wrong, too). 

Perhaps, but the number of rape/sexual assault victims who are telling the truth far outweigh the liars if the available data is to be believed.

There is no perhaps about it, it definitely happens. As for the stats, you're right, it's true. 

You seem to have much more faith in the justice system than I do.

Justice is painfully slow, but yes, I have faith in it. 

Okay. But whether she's telling the truth or not, it doesn't change the reality that Axl and the band were most likely degenerate shitbags who treated women like crap.

Oh well.. whether they were degenerate shitbags or not, I honestly don't care.(unless any of these serious accusations are proven, that is). I'm not trying to bed them, buddy up with them or some such thing.. I just like their music. 🤷‍♀️

Sorry about this, just realised I'm yet to learn how to quote things on here. 

Edited by Minche
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Little Michelle said:

I got rid of all of them in my Twenties. 

Okay, I understand. So should I assume that you got rid of the pictures with other members of the band, too?

39 minutes ago, Little Michelle said:

He was never charged. 

Do you have an explanation on why he said that he was charged? (I'm not talking only about his book years later, but what he said back in the 80s), why Izzy said the same thing (that Slash was charged - or at least that the cops were after him, too) and why it was in the liner notes of Appetite for Destruction?

I'm sorry for the many questions, I said that I wouldn't do this, but I'm confused. 

Edited by Blackstar

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

I'm not taking a stand for or against. I simply take a shot at Rose when the opportunity presents itself. The hyperbole is intended to take the piss out of people questioning Michelle's story/credibility and saying it lacks plausibility while in the same breath ostensibly defending Rose, a known abuser of women. For an example of the right way to assess both sides in a respectful and neutral way, see Blackstar's recent posts.

Respectfully, so what if the alleged witnesses were passed out? It's not plausible that people hanging out in a place called "Hell House" would be drunk/high to the point of passing out? It was literally a den of hedonism - I'd be surprised if anyone remembered anything 35 years later given the amount of booze and drugs that flowed through there.  Is there a possibility that Axl is innocent? Sure. Is it likely given his track record? 

And what evidence would be sufficient 30+ years after the fact? A DNA sample on her clothing that was torn off? Izzy remembering Michelle's rape and calling out Axl and Duff publicly? Even if he does remember - is it likely that he would go on the public record about it? If Michelle is telling the truth, I suspect the people who know about this situation will most likely stay silent and avoid any unwanted scrutiny.

For sure, aside from Stephanie and Erin probably.

Love you too sugarplums. :heart:

Erin and Stephanie benefited nicely from Axl’s music.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

So is Michelle "Dio boots" or not? Or did two separate girls end up naked in the street?

In Raz Cue's book it looks like it is, but now he says that "Dio boots" was someone else who wasn't thrown out naked.

17 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

So is Michelle "Dio boots" or not? Or did two separate girls end up naked in the street?

I'm more interested in seeing what these boots looked like, I have an image in my head of some girl walking around with boots with Dio putting up the horns on them

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Michelle herself says that her mother pressed charges but she refused to go testify in court, so it seems there were charges that went up to a point in the legal process and then dropped.

I don't know if you have seen the quotes I posted on the first page of the thread. There are a couple more besides the ones @SoulMonster posted:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/222459-raz-cue-an-open-letter-to-duff-mckagan/?do=findComment&comment=4699624

There was this one by Izzy, following what Slash said in the same interview (sorry if it's inappropriate, but that's what he said):

Slash: That was no big deal. What happened is Axl and me were with these two girls, and they got in a sexual situation and they decided to file rape charges. Me and Axl had to borrow suits one day to go down to the police station and turn ourselves in over this crap – and when it came down to the wire, they dropped the charges because it was all bogus. We didn’t fucking do anything to them [Spin, May 1988].

Izzy: It turned out that our drummer had fucked one of their mothers, so it was a complicated story [Spin, May 1988].

Kim Fowley, who had a brief involvement with the band at that time, would later remember this:

FOWLEY: This was on Tuesday, and we talked again on Thursday and the following Saturday. The last day, I was in the bathtub, and Izzy called imploring me to get out of the bathtub because he was having an emergency. I said: “Hey, I already told you I can’t work with you, but what’s the emergency?” It was about three of the guys in the band and probably a mother and a daughter, and there was a big argument of some kind at Sunset and Gardner, where the band lived at the time in this cramped space, and something about the police either coming in or watching the house, blah blah blah. The three Guns N’ Roses guys did not want to be interrogated, so they disappeared. [Metal Sludge, 2012]

Izzy would also say in an interview after he had left the band that the police were after Axl and Slash, so the band left the rehearsal space and ended up in Vicky Hamilton's apartment:

Izzy: The police were after Axl and Slash. We returned from the studio to a kind of house without neighbors. We lived in the hallway together with two or three other bands. The police had told us that they were going to beat the shit out of us when they got ahold of us. So, we went home, it didn’t have a door, and we told a friend of ours, Robert John, photographer, that had a big Cadillac, “Robert, you’re our roadie now” (laughs). We loaded the equipment in the car and we left that place in an hour. And Vicky Hamilton offered to help us [Popular 1, November 1992].

Thank you, Blackstar. It's all so messy, isn't it? I mean, these quotes combined with the others could have all been related to one incident, or two, or there could have been several incidents where the guys got into a mess with women for one reason or another. Like, these quotes appear to possibly be linked to the bungalow incident, but then again they might not be because of the mention of a situation with a woman and her mother. So, that seems like a different scenario than the Dio Boots one, and according to Raz Cue that was a different situation again to what happened to Michelle, and I don't even know anymore!

Edited by Kittiara
Messed up quote

Where did the post go from Little Michelle this morning? There was just a link to a Facebook page and about 15 mins after the post was made here I clicked on the link but it said the page didn’t work or had been removed.....now the post had been removed from this thread completely????

2 hours ago, Kittiara said:

Thank you, Blackstar. It's all so messy, isn't it? I mean, these quotes combined with the others could have all been related to one incident, or two, or there could have been several incidents where the guys got into a mess with women for one reason or another. Like, these quotes appear to possibly be linked to the bungalow incident, but then again they might not be because of the mention of a situation with a woman and her mother. So, that seems like a different scenario than the Dio Boots one, and according to Raz Cue that was a different situation again to what happened to Michelle, and I don't even know anymore!

I think that if there had been two different incidents where charges were filed, we would have known it.

According to Raz Cue's new version, the "Dio Boots" incident didn't lead to a charge. I see that Raz Cue now refers to "Dio Boots" as "a hippie chick," the same phrase that Axl had used in the 1986 quote; he didn't describe her like that in his book though. He also now says that "Dio Boots" was messing with the studio equipment, again just like Axl had said in 1986, although he didn't mention this detail in his book. This is one of the things that lead me to think that Raz now adjusts the story according to the points made after his letter to Duff. So it's not clear if Axl's "hippie chick" is the same girl as Raz's "Dio Boots," and if the incident led to a charge or not.

Based on a couple of pictures from that time in Michelle's public social media posts, I wouldn't describe her as a hippie chick - although I'm not sure what "hippie chick" (or hippie in general) meant in the context of '80s L.A.

1 hour ago, Kittiara said:

I'd like to know the truth about this and other things I have read in this thread, like the story about the woman who worked for Penthouse, but due to the nature of these cases I know that that's difficult, if not impossible. It often does come down to he-said, she-said, especially after this amount of time. Which places me, as a fan, in a position of not knowing if my support for the band is reasonable - if these things are true, I don't think I can support them any longer, however much I love the music. 

Yeah, the Penthouse model story is a bit confusing, too. What she said sounds believable as something Axl could have done based on other publicly known stories about him, but when paying attention on the details and doing some fact checking, there are some things that don't quite match.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

It's such a downer to learn about all of this as a fan. Axl's abuse of women is no new news, but in some ways Michelle's story is even more horrific than anything that has emerged before.

A long time ago, when I first found out about the rape charge against Axl, I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, but some of his own comments gave me a pause. I don't think an innocent man would say the things he said.

Despite feeling down about this, I fully support Michelle's right to tell her story as long as she's telling the truth. In fact, a while ago I was wondering whether we would ever hear from her.

Aye, though Michelle said that wasn't the case in 1985. I'm in the UK, so I haven't a clue if that route was open to the police in California at that point.

Even if that route was open to the police, in reality I think it's extremely unlikely that a rape case would go to court if the victim doesn't co-operate.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

Despite feeling down about this, I fully support Michelle's right to tell her story as long as she's telling the truth. In fact, a while ago I was wondering whether we would ever hear from her.

For sure, although my concern is that taking it to a fan forum really doesn't seem like the right route to take, and I would hate to think of the possibility of her not feeling able to go through the proper legal channels because some fans didn't believe her.

Aye, though Michelle said that wasn't the case in 1985. I'm in the UK, so I haven't a clue if that route was open to the police in California at that point.

There is much that is unclear at the moment. I'm trying to wrap my head around it but, admittedly, I haven't been successful. I think that what we can say, from Raz Cue's story along with Michelle's, is that her mom's boyfriend was a musician who was recording in a studio next to GN'R's. That this led to Michelle being around the band for what seems like a good while. I can imagine that this would have seemed super cool to a 15-year-old girl. The adults should have stopped it, really, because by all accounts it wasn't a good place to be for a teenager.

Then Raz mentions that his brother told him that Axl had been physically intimate with Michelle. Regardless of anything else, with Axl being an adult and Michelle being 15, if that happened that wasn't good. And I think that most people agree that at one point or another a 15-year-old was indeed sent out into the streets without her clothes.

It feels kind of icky to even discuss all this, and I normally stay well clear of being an armchair detective. I also feel conflicted because with Raz Cue writing about Michelle, and us discussing her, I feel that she has the right to share her version of events and I don't want to dismiss them just because I happen to be a fan of the band. But I also don't want to condemn Axl on the basis of this, because I believe in the presumption of innocence rather than being a part of the pitchfork brigade.

I'd like to know the truth about this and other things I have read in this thread, like the story about the woman who worked for Penthouse, but due to the nature of these cases I know that that's difficult, if not impossible. It often does come down to he-said, she-said, especially after this amount of time. Which places me, as a fan, in a position of not knowing if my support for the band is reasonable - if these things are true, I don't think I can support them any longer, however much I love the music. 

But it isn't about me. I guess all we can do is wait and see.

This pretty much where I am at - very well said. I am firmly in the ‘innocent until proven guilty’ camp. I’m not going to comment directly on the case in question but GENERALLY one of the things I find odd is that a 15 year old would be allowed to ‘date’ someone of around 19/20 and hang around him and his friends at a time when hedonism was at its peak??? I mean, literally full blown junkies??!! I can’t get my head around that at all.

Plus - the disappearance of the link to Facebook that Little Michelle posted this morning is weird. The link went to a page which had been deleted/taken down but no explanation why?

Edited by DTJ80

13 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, the Penthouse model story is a bit confusing, too. What she said sounds believable as something Axl could have done based on other publicly known stories about him, but when paying attention on the details and doing some fact checking, there are some things that don't quite match.

Thank you @Blackstar for your insight, could you please share some light to this?

3 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

For sure, although my concern is that taking it to a fan forum really doesn't seem like the right route to take, and I would hate to think of the possibility of her not feeling able to go through the proper legal channels because some fans didn't believe her.

The lady said that she already seek legal help. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 7:38 AM, Sosso said:

Personally, I am sick and tired of being preached to about acceptable morals and virtue from the narcissistic, privileged and dimwitted members of the entertainment industry who have celebrated, amplified and cheered our country’s moral, ethical and spiritual decay.

THIS. 

100% accurate. To a T.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2019 at 12:35 PM, soon said:

Could it be that the real reason that Dizzy was hired was as a thank you for being hauled in and (from what I can tell) not giving up Axl? Dizzy saved the band, therefore he gets in on it?

My first line of thinking exactly. Or perhaps, he had to hide longer cause he was more into the investigation/alleged lawsuit etc... so he didn't/couldn't "officially join" the band until things and the dust of them had truly settled?

Let me add this: I always felt since seeing Dizzy officially into the band roster, that it was some kind of a favor. Surely to Dizzy, cause they absolutely didn't need an additional keyboard player at that point to play ridiculously redundant keys on Civil War (so, 1990 already?).... he almost, ALMOST ruined the version of the song.

Edited by AncientEvil80
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Thank you @Blackstar for your insight, could you please share some light to this?

I tried to figure out the timing, based on the details she gave. She said that she was introduced to Axl by Riki Rachtman in NY when he was hosting Headbangers Ball. Riki Rachtman started hosting HB in 1990. She also said that the band were coming off their tour, so this makes it to have taken place in the 90s sometime during the UYI tour.

She said that Axl had lithium (as well as drugs, I think) in his bathroom. It was reported in the 80s that Axl was taking lithium for bipolar disorder; in the 90s, though, he was into the new age stuff, alternative medicine, homeopathy etc., so it sounds odd that he would still take lithium (although maybe he did - who knows). 

Also, the times that the band was in NY during the UYI tour in 1991 and 1992 (with the exception of the warm-up at the Ritz, possibly) it was reported in the press that Stephanie Seymour was there with him.

And then, in the end, she mentions that Axl went to Howard Stern's show the next day, he was late, Stern scolded him and Axl said that it was because he was with a "Penthouse pet" last night. There are only two known interviews Axl has ever done with Stern, one in 1989 and one in 1990 (along with Sebastian Bach), both on the phone (in the 1989 one Stern called Axl in his hotel room and in the 1990 one they called Stern from L.A.). In none of them Axl says anything like this. From the content, the 1989 interview was the first one with Stern and the 1990 interview the second (and most likely the last one). Stern has replayed those two interviews over the years. I looked into a site that keeps record of the Stern shows, and there's been no other interviews with Axl besides those two. I think he would've replayed it if it existed, or it would've surfaced somehow. Of course there's the possibility that she didn't remember well and mixed Stern with another radio show where Axl did an interview that is lost (because there is no other known interview where Axl said anything like this). The way she described it, though ("no one is late to my show") sounded like something Stern would say.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2019 at 5:44 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Dizzy was in a band called The Wild from the mid to late 80s. They hung out with GnR a lot and recorded an album in the same studio GnR was at while recording a demo tape, I believe. During a performance of Nightrain in 1986, Axl dedicated the song to “dizzy and his hand,” cause diz was in the crowd with a broken arm at the time.

It was here. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-roses/1986/music-machine-los-angeles-ca-7bd6f684.html

First video-bootleg I've ever had the chance to see of GNR pre-AFD, on some copied VHS... back in 1992, IIRC.

Edited by AncientEvil80
  • Like 1