On this day-1991 The St Louis Incident!

14 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

If anyone is interested, we have collected everything there is about the St. Louis show and its aftermath here:

http://www.a-4-d.com/t1298-1991-07-02-riverport-amphitheatre-st-louis-usa

(I mean, everything: quotes from band members, rants, newspaper and video reports, lawsuits, trials...)

Those quotes are hilarious.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lio said:

Those quotes are hilarious.

Yeah i love how it went from "I regret what happened last night" immediately to "Fuck you St. Louis and God bless America!" :lol: 

Edit: "There was an unmistaken ugliness in the air that night" Im so trying to picture Slash saying this :lol: 

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

If anyone is interested, we have collected everything there is about the St. Louis show and its aftermath here:

http://www.a-4-d.com/t1298-1991-07-02-riverport-amphitheatre-st-louis-usa

(I mean, everything: quotes from band members, rants, newspaper and video reports, lawsuits, trials...)

And of course I have started to write this up into a story: http://www.a-4-d.com/t3967p120-the-history-of-guns-n-roses-in-their-own-words#14941

My favorite quote about this incident is likely Steven's when he claimed the riot wouldn't have happened if he had been there, cuz he would just have starte playing drums and they would all have calmed down. 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Original said:

Mitch Lafon posted a reminder on this today-   July 2- 1991.  What a time to be alive.  Just an epic Axl meltdown.  I remember MTV was all over it...Kurt Loder etc...

With the fur coat or whatever axl was wearing he looked like wearing a half gorilla outfit. I wonder what axl thinks when he sees these videos nowdays... 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

With the fur coat or whatever axl was wearing he looked like wearing a half gorilla outfit. I wonder what axl thinks when he sees these videos nowdays... 

I love Axl's style during the Illusions era, crazy times, crazy clothes. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I love Axl's style during the Illusions era, crazy times, crazy clothes. :)

I love it too. It was very much of it's time but younger generations are still inspired by it to some extent.

I saw this shot of Miley Cyrus at Glastonbury the other day and it reminded me of young Axl (no idea if he was an inspiration for the outfit but it's very 80s rock)

iu.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 3:37 PM, lame ass security said:

And I was there, it was something that I'll certainly never forget.  You could just sense something was brewing that night.  The heat, the free flowing booze, it was inevitable in a way.  I was really far back from the stage and was confused about what was happening.  But when Axl got back on stage and made his infamous "lame ass" comment, it became clear.  Everything was cool initially but once people realized that the band wasn't coming back it got ugly quickly.  Mob mentality took over and the feeding frenzy was on.  Luckily, I was far enough away that I could watch the insanity unfold.  I did not take part in any of the destruction that occurred.  A guy came on the PA and said the band would come back but it was way too late for that, it was already a free for all.  It was funny actually, he was on mic saying "hey man, stop throwing that shit" before he ran for his life.  The helicopter scene in the "Don't Cry" vid was accurate, they were everywhere. It was like World War 3 had broken out in the suburbs of St. Louis.  It really was a miracle that no one was killed.  My friend and I made it out in one piece and escaped back to the safety and refuge of the hotel bar.

I was there as well.  One thing that is never mentioned is when Axl threw down the mic., there was a LOUD feedback/buzz sound that went on for about 3 to 5 seconds.  Very loud.  That was an indication to the majority of the crowd that something was wrong. Not long after that, the house lights came on, and the piped in music started playing, a clear sign that the show was over.  The crowd got pissed right away.   

Oh well, Axl came back and played in St.Louis in 2017, now the riot is just a footnote in GnR history.  

14 minutes ago, JONEZY said:

I was there as well.  One thing that is never mentioned is when Axl threw down the mic., there was a LOUD feedback/buzz sound that went on for about 3 to 5 seconds.  Very loud.  That was an indication to the majority of the crowd that something was wrong. Not long after that, the house lights came on, and the piped in music started playing, a clear sign that the show was over.  The crowd got pissed right away.   

Oh well, Axl came back and played in St.Louis in 2017, now the riot is just a footnote in GnR history.  

Oh man yes, the sound of that mic hitting the stage was excruciating.   I thought about that after I wrote my summary.  Another weird thing I remember were the vendors walking around selling single stem roses.  I was back on the berm and there were a lot of couples making out on the ground.😄

• Like 1