Is GNR the most underrated band ever?

They are underated in the rock/heavy metal fanbase, but overall they're pretty overated if we look at their catalog. No band with two albuns of original songs, an EP and an album most of the fans dont recognize as legit has their popularity. 

• Like 1

They have too small a discography to be considered alongside the greats like the Beatles and Stones. Rose basically pissed away both GN'R's and his own career down the toilet. I suppose the Pistols have an even smaller discography but that is the Sex Pistols and they turned popular music on its head. Appetite was legendary but it didn't change music. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They have too small a discography to be considered alongside the greats like the Beatles and Stones. Rose basically pissed away both GN'R's and his own career down the toilet. I suppose the Pistols have an even smaller discography but that is the Sex Pistols and they turned popular music on its head. Appetite was legendary but it didn't change music. 

Appetite was the culmination of what came before in the genre of hard rock while containing influences from other genres as well. (punk ,metal,etc) Gn'R was the band that perfected it and a lot of what was cool about hard rock was masterfully included on that album. Not an evolution, but I'm glad someone had the talent and interest to do it. It was like the final link in that chain so while not an evolution it was a fresh new recipe made from familiar ingredients. It has a unique personality that can't be duplicated.

Most bands did not change music. How many bands like The Beatles, The Stones, or The Sex Pistols? very few I would say. Most hard rock bands were not talented enough to record an album like AFD. Quite a feat and you can't come up with an album like that without being extremely talented or you know... great.

• Like 2

I love GNR, but in my opinion AC/DC is a far better band, Powerage is the most underrated album of all time, the album is just as good as Back in Black. The band gives 110% live (especially '75 - ' 10). Also how is GNR underrated when Appetite sold 22 million, and illusions had a grand total of 20 million?

Just now, djones1225 said:

I love GNR, but in my opinion AC/DC is a far better band, Powerage is the most underrated album of all time, the album is just as good as Back in Black. The band gives 110% live (especially '75 - ' 10). Also how is GNR underrated when Appetite sold 22 million, and illusions had a grand total of 20 million?

Sorry 32 million for Appetite

I think they are rated right where they should be.  They released one of the greatest albums ever AFD, and two incredible follow-ups UYI 1 & 2.  They were ranked, I think, 9th on the greatest rock bands of all-time for VH1 years ago.  I think that is pretty damn good for a band that was really only great for about 6 or 7 years in the late 80's and early 90's.  

Had they stayed together and put out more records they probably would be higher, but for now I think they are right where they should be.

Edited by BadApples87
  • Like 2

Most underrated? Thats tough to say, definitely up there for a lot of the younger generation-those who weren't there to see the changes in music before and after Appetite. A shift back to blues-laden hard rock, and not bands like Poison or the dance pop of the late '80s. They ruled the world however briefly.

38 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The majority of ''greats'' were prolific in assembling sizable discographies, Stones, Beatles, Kinks, Zep, Neil Young, Dylan, 'Oo. They continued and continued to make great music. If The Stones retired after ''Satisfaction'' they would already be legendary but the point is they continued to produce great music and hit records, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Some Girls, ''Start Me Up'' - to name just a few - arguably surpassing their earlier summits of greatness. It is accumulative. That is the hallmark of greatness. 

Guns put out Appetite, then an uneven double album then collapsed because of their singer.

Even someone like Michael Jackson, not exactly Buckethead in terms of productivity, didn't just release Off the Wall and stop there: he released Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous and History. Beethoven didn't retire after the 3rd (Eroica), but followed-up Eroica with the 5th, 6th, 7th and the monumental 9th (Choral), and a mountain of other works of the highest quality.

Don't you dislike Zeppelin? anyway, I wasn't disputing what you said about Gn'R not being as great as The Beatles or The Stones. I agree that if you are one of the absolute greats, in most cases you do naturally (not to say easily) accumulate a bigger catalog than what Gn'R has released. I'm talking on the level of Appetite, masterpieces. Unless you're The Sex Pistols and you break up before you have the chance to do more but Rotten was prolific as shit after the pistols broke up and released a lot of truly great records himself with PIL.

I was just pointing out that even if it's not The Stones level of great, Gn'R is a band with a rare talent in it's genre to have released an album like Appetite. It is that good. I think they had at least one more truly great album in them in their prime but Izzy bailed and they couldn't hold it together or agree on a unified musical vision which is fatal for a band like Guns.

Edited by Rovim

As a long time fan (20+ years) I think Over-Rated & Overhyped. This is considering the amount of original work (excluding covers) which hardly exceeds 3 albums.

and if you say quality is more important than quantitiy then to be honest, except AFD, both UYIs hardly contain 10 worthy tracks and CD is CD...

Edited by ©GnrPersia

20 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

As a long time fan (20+ years) I think Over-Rated & Overhyped. This is considering the amount of original work (excluding covers) which hardly exceeds 3 albums.

and if you say quality is more important than quantitiy then to be honest, except AFD, both UYIs hardly contain 10 worthy tracks and CD is CD...

This is where it becomes difficult to discuss. The performances of the songs are killer, studio recording though? Not great, at least for me. I would say UYI has well enough material to make a perfect double album

More over-rated than under-rated.

to have the following that they do is kinda ridiculous considering the small amount of released music, I mean.... they are a band.... right?

bands normally release music?

they could have been basically known as the undisputed best hard rock band in the world if they’d  kept their shit together thru the 90s and released some albums at their creative peak but they fucked it up. Such a shame.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, moreblack said:

GNR are way overrated to a lot of people

It’s funny because as a kid in the 90s I remember most metal heads at school (Metallica/slayer etc) fans used to hate gnr and make fun of us for being fans, Over-rated was what they constantly would argue. And axl was such an easy target with those damn bike shorts.

Edited by megaguns1982
  • Like 2