Is GNR the most underrated band ever?

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Appetite was the culmination of what came before in the genre of hard rock while containing influences from other genres as well. (punk ,metal,etc) Gn'R was the band that perfected it and a lot of what was cool about hard rock was masterfully included on that album. Not an evolution, but I'm glad someone had the talent and interest to do it. It was like the final link in that chain so while not an evolution it was a fresh new recipe made from familiar ingredients. It has a unique personality that can't be duplicated.

Most bands did not change music. How many bands like The Beatles, The Stones, or The Sex Pistols? very few I would say. Most hard rock bands were not talented enough to record an album like AFD. Quite a feat and you can't come up with an album like that without being extremely talented or you know... great.

As slash described appetite, their social life reflected the songs. The stones have good songs but i havnt heard  of any of their albums where one album is start to finish no filler....maybe some girls? Unless the forum wants to educate me. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

As slash described appetite, their social life reflected the songs. The stones have good songs but i havnt heard  of any of their albums where one album is start to finish no filler....maybe some girls? Unless the forum wants to educate me. 

Exile, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed, Aftermath, Beggars Banquet.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Exile, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed, Aftermath, Beggars Banquet.

Arguably the best run of albums any band has put out. And pretty much every track is killer. 

(I might have left out Aftermath though)

but I see why it’s in there. 

The MC5 get fuck all Love.

• Like 1

gnr is an Overrated band

Only 3 original studio albums

On 7/2/2019 at 8:06 PM, Sydney Fan said:

Stones have some of the best albums ever made. Wtf

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

got is an Overrated band

Only 3 original studio albums

Stones have some of the best albums ever made. Wtf

Im not saying their albums are shit just that if i listen to theur 70s albums they have maybe 2 or 3 good listenable songs and the rest just do it for me. Probably as they alternate around the country rock sound. Again thats me.

Emotional rescue and steel wheels albums on the other hand.....

AfD was greatest album all the time...

Lies was great.

UYI was inconsistent and over the top... Hovewer, even heights of UYI don't reach AfD lows...

Whatever happened later was not Guns N Roses in my book. Even if they stayed together, they would not create another masterpiece. UYI was already a huge step down... Does it makes a Band overrated or underrated? I don't know...

12 minutes ago, acor said:

AfD was greatest album all the time...

Lies was great.

UYI was inconsistent and over the top... Hovewer, even heights of UYI don't reach AfD lows...

Whatever happened later was not Guns N Roses in my book. Even if they stayed together, they would not create another masterpiece. UYI was already a huge step down... Does it makes a Band overrated or underrated? I don't know...

Wut.. Anything Goes and the AFD version of You're Crazy is not better than Dust N' Bones, Double Talkin' Jive, The Garden, Coma, Estranged, Civil War, You Could Be Mine, November Rain, Don't Cry, Don't Cry Alt... 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

They have too small a discography to be considered alongside the greats like the Beatles and Stones. Rose basically pissed away both GN'R's and his own career down the toilet. I suppose the Pistols have an even smaller discography but that is the Sex Pistols and they turned popular music on its head. Appetite was legendary but it didn't change music. 

This.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Wut.. Anything Goes and the AFD version of You're Crazy is not better than Dust N' Bones, Double Talkin' Jive, The Garden, Coma, Estranged, Civil War, You Could Be Mine, November Rain, Don't Cry, Don't Cry Alt... 

Yes. If i had to make top12 of Gnr songs, it would be all AfD... BTW- some of songs you mentioned are among the worst songs of GnR IMO (Novemer Rain and both versions of DC especially).

39 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

So do you leave dumb comments like this is all threads, or you just have a personal crusade against Pearl Jam? 

Jeez you're a grumpy little fella aren't ya? Very testy reply! Are you going to be OK? I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. 

"A personal crusade against Pearl Jam" is probably a bit of a stretch! I don't particularly dislike Pearl Jam at all.

It's just that I think they're a fairly straight forward rock band who get the recognition they deserve.

I think everyone has a favourite PJ song but I think they became boring after a while because they're not exactly treading new ground.

Apart from No Code which I thought went in a bit of a different direction with a few of the percussion heavy songs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

How can anybody who sells out stadiums the world over be considered underrated?

Underrated in terms of like, critical acclaim perhaps?  Are they underrated?  Nah, I don't think so.  They're pretty much taken for what they are, a REALLY good rock n roll band (which its hard to deny that they were in their day) who released one stonking album in Appetite, a cracking EP in Lies and then a sprawling disjointed but ultimately decent enough double shot in Illusions. 

• Like 2

I think they are pretty accurately depicted by most media and fans.  They are probably the highest rates rock band from the 80’s.  They seem to have more respect than Bon Jovi, Motley Crew etc.  They were voted into the Rock n Roll hall of fame on their first ballot as well.  This latest tour also did a lot to help their overall image.  With all the praise of late, there still is always a bit of disappointment over what could have been.  GnR really could have been up there along all the greats but they wasted so many years.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Underrated in terms of like, critical acclaim perhaps?  Are they underrated?  Nah, I don't think so.  They're pretty much taken for what they are, a REALLY good rock n roll band (which its hard to deny that they were in their day) who released one stonking album in Appetite, a cracking EP in Lies and then a sprawling disjointed but ultimately decent enough double shot in Illusions. 

Even still, they have a fair amount of critical acclaim. AFD is (rightfully) considered one of the best hard rock albums of all time. UYI gets less praise, which is fair considering its lofty, sometimes bloated approach. 

And the rest is all fat. Spaghetti, Lies and CD hardly make a strong case for the "underrated" claim. 

Edited by Towelie

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

nah, Lies is fuckin' class.  That second side especially is fuckin' up there with their best word, at least as good as.  Even Mama Kin and Move to the City are good, very good even.  The guitar is glorious on Mama Kin.  And Reckless Life and Nice Boys, well, for what they are they are great, fast and loose.  I don't think Axl has sounded better vocally than Lies, You're Crazy is a brilliant vocal take, as is One in a Million, Used to Love Her.  I'll defend that band to the hilt when it comes to Appetite and Lies.  And Illusions, when I'm in a charitable mood, look, it ain't nowhere near what they wanted it to be but for what it is its decent enough. 

The problem with trying to make a White album is people will judge it like a White album.

Chinese >>> Lies.

And I ain't even shitting ya.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1