Is GNR the most underrated band ever?

On 15/07/2019 at 6:27 AM, KeyserSoze said:

This is why I think they are so under rated.

They seem to have done a good job of having a huge pocket of fans in at least every state that are willing to travel to see them every year. Other than that, the “casual” music fan thinks their career died when Kurt Cobain died. Which is completely untrue. I feel like those same people are the ones that complain that theres only been one original album of GNR content in 25 years. Pearl Jam have produced 5 in this DECADE with the same lineup... 

I’d take you one further and tell you to listen to their 4th and 5th albums ‘No Code’ and ‘Yield’ back to back on an intense mushroom trip. Not because you need to be inebriated to enjoy the music, but because that is Pearl Jam at their most tribal. And you can hear it, and feel it in the music. Jack Irons really brought that spirit out of them.  

I know everyone gives Eddie all the praise (or discredit.. depending on how you look at things) but Stone Gossard, the rhythm guitarist, is one of the most under rated song writers of that decade. Of the 11 songs on ‘Ten’, Gossard wrote or co-wrote 8. With main credits on “Alive”, “Even Flow” and “Black.” Yes. The man himself wrote all of those hits by himself. 

Mike McCready is also probably one of the most under rated lead guitarists of that era as well. I feel like many people don’t even know his name! While many guitarists of that day were taking a page out of Aerosmith or Led Zepp’s book, Mike was taking SRV’s licks (Yellow Ledbetter duh)    and making them grunge. He could WAIL on the guitar. Case in point (start around 2:38):

You also had Jeff Ament experimenting with different basses and bass sounds. Fretless (Oceans, Alive, Even Flow), 12-string (Jeremy, Deep) and even Upright Bass. (Daughter, Dissident) Not many bands were being THAT creative or going out on a limb to do things like that yet, as far as new bands are concerned. 

As far as music passed that golden era of PJ is concerned, we’ve already talked about Yield. For those of you that would like to sig deeper, I suggest this lil nugget from their 6th album, Binaural:

This is a slower one, so your boy DeadSlash might take offense to it, but you can see how mature the band became from the first video to this one. They almost broke up in the late 90’s, then came back with an interesting album that completely wreaks of growing up. This was the onset of Eddies “favorite” president Bush being elected. So many of the songs started to become politically charged. But you also had a lot of songs talking about how the band dealt with human emotions, as by that time they had run the gamut of highs and lows etc. This particular song, as Ed mentions in the intro in the video, revolves around the topic of saying goodbye to a friend, or not being able to say goodbye. 

“With heavy breath, awakened regrets
Back pages and days alone that could have been spent, together
But we were miles apart
Every inch between us becomes light years now
No time to be void or save up on life
You got to spend it all”

Amazing song writing and lyrics. 

Again, what was Axl doing during this period? 

Wait a minute........is that you Eddie??

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2019 at 9:40 AM, KeyserSoze said:

i don't understand your meme

Hey keyz,

I feel like i need to clarify my feelings on pearl jam with you. 

I was born 1980 so i was a teen in the 90's and there was no bigger band in the mid 90s with me and my friends than pj (and the chili peppers). Loved them both.

I agree that ten, vs, vitalogy, no code and yield are great albums! Barely a bad song on them and amazing b-sides too!

By the time it got to binaural i was still going strong with them but i found myself skipping a few songs. Some absolute rippers on that album too but overall not as good for me personally.

Its when we got to riot act that i started to struggle. Couldn't find a lot to hold my interest for long. Every album from them has been a loss for me. 

I've tried from time to time to get into those albums but find them a bit dull to be honest.

Not sure if im missing something. I feel like the melodies just aren't catching me like the old stuff. Start finding eddie vedders voice and singing annoying which i don't on the earlier stuff.

Some questions/comments for you:

Why would they leave yellow ledbetter and state of love and trust off ten!?! And to a lesser extent breath?

Eddie Vedder seems to be taking on more of the songwriting (music mainly i guess) as time goes on. Do you think thats taken away a bit from the sound. He is not my fav songwriter in the band.

How could they leave low light off their best of album!?!

I like jack irons and the bloke off vitalogy better than matt cameron.

Can you tell me some songs off the newer albums to check out?

Their earlier music seems so much more complex to me. Much more power chord heavy now in my opinion with less of an interplay between mccready and stone.

Guess i don't see them as  being underated because they were so popular when i was a teenager.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

I’m sorry I came at you so harshly, DK6. 

First things first, I’m jelous of you! The late 80’s and early 90’s are my favorite period of music, and I wish I could have lived through them. 

It seems like your personal experience with the band is that of many fans that started listening in the earlier days. Once we got to the turn of the decade/millennium, grunge and the idea became all but obsolete, in favor of club hits and rap. By late 2002, the vast majority no longer cared about Pearl Jam except the thousands of dedicated fans they had gained by being uniquely them in terms of bands. I mean look at how Axl’s tour turned out during that year. 

I’m sorry to hear about your current opinion of the band/eddies voice. Let me try to change your opinion! 

But first, let’s go back a bit and I can try my best to answer some of your questions! 

You’re telling me pal! I’m sure your first question is in jest, as if they truly knew how popular those songs would become in the bands formative years, I’m sure they would have done  everything in their power to make sure at the very least Yellow Ledbetter would be on Ten. 

I think what it comes down to though is timing. A rock album that was going to sell and make profit back then was 50 minutes to an hour long. Ten, with an ironic 11 songs on it clocks in at timely 53 minutes.  Perfect. Maaaayyyyybbeee they could have slipped State Of Love & Trust in, but where? And if anything, it’s perfect for the Singles soundtrack because the song’s topic is actually pertinent to what’s happening in the movie. The 5 and a half minute Breath, which I think is the most under-rated Pearl Jam song in their catalogue and is far and away better than anything on Ten, would have pushed that run time number closer to an hour, and 5 digits are bigger than six. Yellow Ledbetter is for sure an album closer, but bid it trump Release? No. 

I’m glad they all of the songs mentioned so far were on later releases, as they were  recorded by Dave Abbruzzee (the aforementioned “bloke on Vitalogy” in your comment) who is arguably Pearl Jam’s most aggressive drummer who brought out the best in those songs and that time period. Watch this video and just focus on the drumming. 

Only lock into his drumming. He’s playing with agressiveness of a heavy metal drummer and locking in completely with Jeff and Eddie: 

There was a bunch of songs written during the Ten years that are rarely heard by ears that aren’t already PJ fans, and I’m not sure if you have heard of them before, but here are some more songs written around Ten: 

(you  said you are a fan of RHCP, so here is PJ going for their best RHCP impression:)

This goes into why I even mentioned anything about Pearl Jam being under rated. They were writing songs like these^ and they had only been together w/ Eddie for like a year. Thats CRAZY chemistry. And these songs weren’t even on the album that got them famous. 

It seems there was a major shift in the band around late 94/95. Eddie took more control over everything, Abbruzze was fired and Jack Irons hired in his place, they tried to take down Ticketmaster and failed, all the while falling further from the MTV Face of the earth in the wake of Kurt Cobains death. Grunge had killed itself in the garage. Oasis was cool now. Oh yeah, did I mention: Drugs and booze. LOTS of it. 

The 2 albums we got at the end of the 90’s in No Code and Yield, and all the songs that came from that era, are Pearl Jam at peak performance. It’s literally like Jack Irons was the new office manager that came in and made everyone look at everything differently. Like you mentioned, the song writing was so creative and diverse. It also signified the start of something new, what I like to call the mushroom phase of PJ. Everything becomes about spirituality/morality. Something I think Eddie needed to put out into the world, because he was pushing everybody away from him in the band which all spitballed into Yield which, as had been said on this very form already quite a few times, is an underrated masterpiece. Everything that came after this (Binaural, Riot Act, Avacado, etc) is just en evolution of what happened during this period. For some reason, Eddie put the electric guitar down and picked up the uke and acoustic guitar. I mean shit, at the end of 1998, Eddie was in LA with his acoustic guitar singing Cat Stevens songs. 

I think it just slowly weaved its way into the music, and that’s why some of the songs on Binaural are toned down a bit. People tend to forget that not only were the band getting older, but Eddie got a divorce in 2000 as well. I think at that point, they had just had enough. And while Binaural rocks, I think a lot of those songs have to do with not wanting to waste anymore time. 95-98 opened the door. since 2000 the band lives like they have a new fire under their ass. And I don’t at all believe it has been at a detriment to the music. See, even you agree that many of the songs on Binaural were good!

Riot Act threw the band in an awkward position. Less than a year after 9/11, and most of the songs were politically driven. I feel like it truly arrived at a wrong time. Or you could argue it arrived at the most perfect time it was ever going to arrive at. Not everything will have a perfect timing, and I truly think thats why it suffered. Along with the band having a declining fan base and people just plain growing up and not listening to grunge anymore. It was 2002 after all. Boy bands were in. 

You see a lot of Vedder’s aforementioned songwriting take over start to happen here again. 7 of the 15 songs on the album have Ed as a credited composer. I’ll try to give you 3 songs to check out from this album, even though I wish you would just take the time to listen to the whole thing again because I can find a little bit of every era of PJ in this whole album, but if you have read this far already I’m sure thats the last thing you would want me to go through!

Classic in your face Pearl Jam song: 

Rowdy and in your face. Yes it may be some power chords, but to me this is a spiritual successor of a “Once” or “Why Go?” Its pj doing what they do best. 

Something “different” like No Code or Yield:

Always thought this song was beautiful. And continues their experimental-esque vision they had at the end of the 90’s and into Binuaural. It almost sounds like a downtuned Radiohead… 

Something “new”: 

Besides making a new setlist every night, PJ was never in the business of being a “jam” band in the sense they just jammed on an idea or something like that endlessly live on stage. I think this was their best go at a “jam”-esque type song. Its like if the Grateful Dead was fronted by Kurt Cobain and told to keep up… or down?

BONUS: 

Guess what, the best song from this era isn’t even on the album. Thats right, the catchiest song from the Riot Act era is right here:

I swear this song is such a bop. Everything about it is perfect. The harmonies, the guitar tone, Eds voice. I  just picture myself driving a car in malibu during sunset for some reason. 

Obviously there were more popular songs from that album like “Love Boat Captain”, “I Am Mine”, and “All or None” but I picked these 3 based on why you originally liked PJ, how you compared what you thought new PJ sounded like, and I threw a wildcard in there hoping you would be open minded enough to take a listen…. or hopefully like jam music! 

As for the self-titled Pearl Jam, AKA Avocado, from 2006, you for sure need to go re listen to the first side of that album again… It’s 13 songs, so that means Side A would be Life Wasted, World Wide Suicide, Comatose, and Severed Hand. That ONE side of music is better than any other rock album we got in the mid 2000’s. Compare that ONE side to Axl’s 25 year masterpiece and its a NO contest. It goes a little out  there, but has a big moment in the song “Gone”, and finishes with 2 perfect songs. This album is a little marred in controversy thought, as it  is supposedly all dedicated to one Johnny Ramone following his  recent death at the time, but even PJ fans can’t tell if that means the whole album or not. I personally think it should have been cut a little shorter, but the more the merrier in the long run eh? This is also the last year Eddie sang with his classic drawl before changing to a much different way of signing where he drags out his words. Check these songs out: 

“Classic” in your face PJ: 

Again, coming out the gate swinging! They didn’t slow down you know!!

A completely Eddie song, and the one that is known to be completely dedicated to Johnny Ramone: 

This is a slower one. But its a nice little memorable one in the vein of “Sometimes” or “Given To Fly” 

A diamond in the rough: 

This song is classic Who levels of good. Its guitarist Mike McCreadys song about mental health a couple of years before the topic became a hot conversation in the US.  Its a very sad song, but it  gives you a positive out look on the future. 

I see 2009’s Backspacer as the moment people just stopped caring. In retrospect the album is damn good. And yeah maybe a couple of those songs can be considered filler, but the album only clocks in at 36 minutes. I know its a totally different scenario, but imagine Axl giving us 36 minutes of music right now?! What i’m saying is, they didn’t have to make the album. But they sure as hell did and the songs on it ain’t half bad and i’m sure most of the world doesn’t even know it exists!

Classic in your face PJ: 

I’m telling you guys, they never did not have it!

Clearly an Eddie song, but beautiful non the less: 

This song is truly beautiful. 

No Code/Yield levels of thinking: 

Which brings me to 2013’s Lightening Bolt. Another one you should check out! The first 2 sides are all hit after hit. This is the last  album of consistency. And the last new album of original Pearl Jam music. I think what’s wrong with this album is that it tries to tackle a lot of social issues (touchy priests/relgion,more politics/poverty/homlessnes/etc etc) in an era where people finally realized they wanted their music to be an escape from all these things. Not an unrealistic cry for help that we as the listener may never even answer or do anything to fix. Many of these songs are still good though! I just don’t think people gave them the proper listen when they first came out! 

Classic in your face PJ: 

Now do you believe me that they’ve got it? 

This is a modern day Indifference and it is perfect to open a show: 

Since 2013, PJ have been milking the Merch machine as most  bands have. We've only gotten 2 brand new songs since Lightening Bolt was released. The later one has only been messed around with live, so PJ fans don't know if its an out-take from Lightening Bolt or a completely new song all together. 

Only time will tell if we will ever hear anything from them again :shrugs:

Edited by KeyserSoze
  • Like 1

On 26/07/2019 at 10:28 PM, KeyserSoze said:

I’m sorry I came at you so harshly, DK6. 

First things first, I’m jelous of you! The late 80’s and early 90’s are my favorite period of music, and I wish I could have lived through them. 

It seems like your personal experience with the band is that of many fans that started listening in the earlier days. Once we got to the turn of the decade/millennium, grunge and the idea became all but obsolete, in favor of club hits and rap. By late 2002, the vast majority no longer cared about Pearl Jam except the thousands of dedicated fans they had gained by being uniquely them in terms of bands. I mean look at how Axl’s tour turned out during that year. 

I’m sorry to hear about your current opinion of the band/eddies voice. Let me try to change your opinion! 

But first, let’s go back a bit and I can try my best to answer some of your questions! 

You’re telling me pal! I’m sure your first question is in jest, as if they truly knew how popular those songs would become in the bands formative years, I’m sure they would have done  everything in their power to make sure at the very least Yellow Ledbetter would be on Ten. 

I think what it comes down to though is timing. A rock album that was going to sell and make profit back then was 50 minutes to an hour long. Ten, with an ironic 11 songs on it clocks in at timely 53 minutes.  Perfect. Maaaayyyyybbeee they could have slipped State Of Love & Trust in, but where? And if anything, it’s perfect for the Singles soundtrack because the song’s topic is actually pertinent to what’s happening in the movie. The 5 and a half minute Breath, which I think is the most under-rated Pearl Jam song in their catalogue and is far and away better than anything on Ten, would have pushed that run time number closer to an hour, and 5 digits are bigger than six. Yellow Ledbetter is for sure an album closer, but bid it trump Release? No. 

I’m glad they all of the songs mentioned so far were on later releases, as they were  recorded by Dave Abbruzzee (the aforementioned “bloke on Vitalogy” in your comment) who is arguably Pearl Jam’s most aggressive drummer who brought out the best in those songs and that time period. Watch this video and just focus on the drumming. 

Only lock into his drumming. He’s playing with agressiveness of a heavy metal drummer and locking in completely with Jeff and Eddie: 

There was a bunch of songs written during the Ten years that are rarely heard by ears that aren’t already PJ fans, and I’m not sure if you have heard of them before, but here are some more songs written around Ten: 

(you  said you are a fan of RHCP, so here is PJ going for their best RHCP impression:)

This goes into why I even mentioned anything about Pearl Jam being under rated. They were writing songs like these^ and they had only been together w/ Eddie for like a year. Thats CRAZY chemistry. And these songs weren’t even on the album that got them famous. 

It seems there was a major shift in the band around late 94/95. Eddie took more control over everything, Abbruzze was fired and Jack Irons hired in his place, they tried to take down Ticketmaster and failed, all the while falling further from the MTV Face of the earth in the wake of Kurt Cobains death. Grunge had killed itself in the garage. Oasis was cool now. Oh yeah, did I mention: Drugs and booze. LOTS of it. 

The 2 albums we got at the end of the 90’s in No Code and Yield, and all the songs that came from that era, are Pearl Jam at peak performance. It’s literally like Jack Irons was the new office manager that came in and made everyone look at everything differently. Like you mentioned, the song writing was so creative and diverse. It also signified the start of something new, what I like to call the mushroom phase of PJ. Everything becomes about spirituality/morality. Something I think Eddie needed to put out into the world, because he was pushing everybody away from him in the band which all spitballed into Yield which, as had been said on this very form already quite a few times, is an underrated masterpiece. Everything that came after this (Binaural, Riot Act, Avacado, etc) is just en evolution of what happened during this period. For some reason, Eddie put the electric guitar down and picked up the uke and acoustic guitar. I mean shit, at the end of 1998, Eddie was in LA with his acoustic guitar singing Cat Stevens songs. 

I think it just slowly weaved its way into the music, and that’s why some of the songs on Binaural are toned down a bit. People tend to forget that not only were the band getting older, but Eddie got a divorce in 2000 as well. I think at that point, they had just had enough. And while Binaural rocks, I think a lot of those songs have to do with not wanting to waste anymore time. 95-98 opened the door. since 2000 the band lives like they have a new fire under their ass. And I don’t at all believe it has been at a detriment to the music. See, even you agree that many of the songs on Binaural were good!

Riot Act threw the band in an awkward position. Less than a year after 9/11, and most of the songs were politically driven. I feel like it truly arrived at a wrong time. Or you could argue it arrived at the most perfect time it was ever going to arrive at. Not everything will have a perfect timing, and I truly think thats why it suffered. Along with the band having a declining fan base and people just plain growing up and not listening to grunge anymore. It was 2002 after all. Boy bands were in. 

You see a lot of Vedder’s aforementioned songwriting take over start to happen here again. 7 of the 15 songs on the album have Ed as a credited composer. I’ll try to give you 3 songs to check out from this album, even though I wish you would just take the time to listen to the whole thing again because I can find a little bit of every era of PJ in this whole album, but if you have read this far already I’m sure thats the last thing you would want me to go through!

Classic in your face Pearl Jam song: 

Rowdy and in your face. Yes it may be some power chords, but to me this is a spiritual successor of a “Once” or “Why Go?” Its pj doing what they do best. 

Something “different” like No Code or Yield:

Always thought this song was beautiful. And continues their experimental-esque vision they had at the end of the 90’s and into Binuaural. It almost sounds like a downtuned Radiohead… 

Something “new”: 

Besides making a new setlist every night, PJ was never in the business of being a “jam” band in the sense they just jammed on an idea or something like that endlessly live on stage. I think this was their best go at a “jam”-esque type song. Its like if the Grateful Dead was fronted by Kurt Cobain and told to keep up… or down?

BONUS: 

Guess what, the best song from this era isn’t even on the album. Thats right, the catchiest song from the Riot Act era is right here:

I swear this song is such a bop. Everything about it is perfect. The harmonies, the guitar tone, Eds voice. I  just picture myself driving a car in malibu during sunset for some reason. 

Obviously there were more popular songs from that album like “Love Boat Captain”, “I Am Mine”, and “All or None” but I picked these 3 based on why you originally liked PJ, how you compared what you thought new PJ sounded like, and I threw a wildcard in there hoping you would be open minded enough to take a listen…. or hopefully like jam music! 

As for the self-titled Pearl Jam, AKA Avocado, from 2006, you for sure need to go re listen to the first side of that album again… It’s 13 songs, so that means Side A would be Life Wasted, World Wide Suicide, Comatose, and Severed Hand. That ONE side of music is better than any other rock album we got in the mid 2000’s. Compare that ONE side to Axl’s 25 year masterpiece and its a NO contest. It goes a little out  there, but has a big moment in the song “Gone”, and finishes with 2 perfect songs. This album is a little marred in controversy thought, as it  is supposedly all dedicated to one Johnny Ramone following his  recent death at the time, but even PJ fans can’t tell if that means the whole album or not. I personally think it should have been cut a little shorter, but the more the merrier in the long run eh? This is also the last year Eddie sang with his classic drawl before changing to a much different way of signing where he drags out his words. Check these songs out: 

“Classic” in your face PJ: 

Again, coming out the gate swinging! They didn’t slow down you know!!

A completely Eddie song, and the one that is known to be completely dedicated to Johnny Ramone: 

This is a slower one. But its a nice little memorable one in the vein of “Sometimes” or “Given To Fly” 

A diamond in the rough: 

This song is classic Who levels of good. Its guitarist Mike McCreadys song about mental health a couple of years before the topic became a hot conversation in the US.  Its a very sad song, but it  gives you a positive out look on the future. 

I see 2009’s Backspacer as the moment people just stopped caring. In retrospect the album is damn good. And yeah maybe a couple of those songs can be considered filler, but the album only clocks in at 36 minutes. I know its a totally different scenario, but imagine Axl giving us 36 minutes of music right now?! What i’m saying is, they didn’t have to make the album. But they sure as hell did and the songs on it ain’t half bad and i’m sure most of the world doesn’t even know it exists!

Classic in your face PJ: 

I’m telling you guys, they never did not have it!

Clearly an Eddie song, but beautiful non the less: 

This song is truly beautiful. 

No Code/Yield levels of thinking: 

Which brings me to 2013’s Lightening Bolt. Another one you should check out! The first 2 sides are all hit after hit. This is the last  album of consistency. And the last new album of original Pearl Jam music. I think what’s wrong with this album is that it tries to tackle a lot of social issues (touchy priests/relgion,more politics/poverty/homlessnes/etc etc) in an era where people finally realized they wanted their music to be an escape from all these things. Not an unrealistic cry for help that we as the listener may never even answer or do anything to fix. Many of these songs are still good though! I just don’t think people gave them the proper listen when they first came out! 

Classic in your face PJ: 

Now do you believe me that they’ve got it? 

This is a modern day Indifference and it is perfect to open a show: 

Since 2013, PJ have been milking the Merch machine as most  bands have. We've only gotten 2 brand new songs since Lightening Bolt was released. The later one has only been messed around with live, so PJ fans don't know if its an out-take from Lightening Bolt or a completely new song all together. 

Only time will tell if we will ever hear anything from them again :shrugs:

Thanks mate. I really appreciate your efforts.

Its funny - since i wrote that post to you I've been doing a lot of listening on my own and my mind was already starting to change!

Sometimes i think you need to be in the right state of mind or even just find the right song to get you started again.

Exciting actually because now ive got 3-4 albums of music which is basically new to me to get in to.

Ive been getting in to backspacer which is reminding me a bit of yield ( as you said above i think).

Got some is amazing. What a song! As is the fixer, just breathe and unthought known. Lots more really growing on me too - they're  just my favs at this stage.

Just breathe is so beautiful i had to show my wife! 

From binaural i love nothing as it seems, light years and the live version of sleight of hand is brilliant. Interesting stage they went through there - some pink floyd touches almost.

Save you is a great song. I remember not realising how great it was until i saw it live. Simple but super cool riff. Ghost is good from riot act too. I'm liking the songs youve mentioned above and i will be giving them a lot more of a listen. Thanks for that.

They have an amazing bunch of b sides - thats the mark of a great band. Footsteps is another one that comes to mind.

My main problem at the moment with listening to new stuff is i keep finding myself being drawn back to the old stuff i love! It has been a long time since ive listened to them and im loving get back into it.

A great way to listen to some new pj songs is their live versions also. What an amazing live band.

I love gnr so much but man i wish they would treat their fans like pj do. I remember after going to a pj concert i just popped online and ordered the cd of it! Meanwhile I'm excited about a 23 second clip of a nu guns song from nearly 20 years ago! What a joke. 

On the ramones note, eddie vedders version of i believe in miracles is awesome.

I really like can't deny me. Sorry im rambling - listening to stuff while I'm writing!

The best mtv unplugged from when i was a kid was pearl jam (and they cut oceans!) and alice in chains which both took on legendary status for me - I've always wanted them to do an acoustic concert release. I have live at benroya hall which was marketed as an acoustic album but sounds pretty electric to me. 

Anyway I'll stop rambling and listen to some music. I can't get over how goodtheir old stuff sounds when you haven't listened for a long time. Im having fun.

Thanks for your help mate. I might keep in touch with my progress 😁

You're right about the 90s as a teenager. Looking back we were super spoiled for amazing new music coming out.

Pearl Jam were a big deal back then and deservedly so with 5 brilliant albums in quick succession. Maybe i set the bar a bit high for them!

Im looking forward to having a listen

Cheers mate!

Most underrated ever? Not in a million of years. Parts of their catalogue are overrated sure, and some underrated but realistcally they are nowhere near what I would consider an underrated band.

Depends what you mean by underrated as well - not critically acclaimed enough or not enough success?

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

Far from the most underrated, but IMO they are kinda underrated despite being very successful. 

So many people tend to write off their material after Appetite. I find both Illusion albums to be quite underappreciated. They are not as strong as Appetite but they are still great and diverse rock classics with some of their best songs. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MidnightRuMidnMidnight ner said:

Far from the most underrated, but IMO they are kinda underrated despite being very successful. 

So many people tend to write off their material after Appetite. I find both Illusion albums to be quite underappreciated. They are not as strong as Appetite but they are still great and diverse rock classics with some of their best songs. 

Yeah on the deserted island, I’d take either of the illusions over appetite. AFD rocks harder, but UYI has more substance. 

• Like 1

UYI albums r like the peak of the band but i think is in that lvl bc of axl and his piano songs that give the band more dimensions, the hardcore fans that stayed in the "mean bad guys" appetite era sure were againts the piano on stage concert but ultimatly was that Axl inovation that give the band the legend status, if the band stayed togheter enough to do CD they would do the same formula that made UYI so great, some slash solos on tunes more deep like prostitute, maybe the uyi fans would t love the album ironically, but in the end CD bring the new generation to gnr like myself in 2009 so Axl was right about that, happens to be changes in music industry that doesn t mix with the magnitud of GNR hollywood band after the 90s 

Edited by darkside259

Holy shit I read this thread titlw and thought “this can only be a joke” but no, some of you are so out of your minds you are actually thinking gnr is, not only an underrated band but, THE most underrated band of all time? How freakishly ridiculous is that? I mean… GnR is literaly one of the most cherished hard rock bands of all time having only 4 albums in their catalogue. They play everywhere, people all around the world know 2 or three of their songs, at least. If anything, GnR is overrated. Want some underrated bands? Go on Bandcamp. Tons of great, amazing bands over there you never heard about. But GnR? Please don’t tell me they’re underrated lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

They’re neither underrated nor overrated, but they surely win the price for a band that shoots itself in the foot the most. The Globe/Oscar/MTV/whatever award in the category "Wasted Potential / Missed Opportunities", hands down, shall always go to GN’R. 

• Like 1