Super Mario Maker 2

On 7/4/2019 at 8:15 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Anyone get this game? I figured we could do a thread here for anyone who has so we could share levels or discuss the game :) 

Really fun and addicting game so far. I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a game this much.

Agreed!!!

I LOVE this game, it's probably my favorite Switch game to date. Playing through levels with 2-4 players is a lot of fun as well. 

I've been hooked on it since we bought it. Honestly, it's probably my favorite Mario game ever. Why? It has elements from ALL of my favorite Mario games (although I do miss Mario 2, they should add that with DLC). While I do like the 3D Mario games (Mario 64, Odyessey, etc) I actually prefer the 2D games, they are just more fun imo. 

I am in the process of going back and fine tuning all my levels before they are uploaded. I actually have made a full blown Mario game (8 Worlds, 4 levels per world). I tried to keep it in the spirit of the original games. So while it's not as creative or imaginative as some other levels out there, I think it actually "feels" like playing a new Mario game, at the same time reminding players of the original games. I called it Super Mario Redux. It starts out fairly easy, but it gets challenging as the game goes along (just like Mario games of old). 

I have to take the Switch back from my daughter (she has had it for the last 24 hours). Then I will fine tune everything, upload, and put the codes here so folks can play them.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

41 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Agreed!!!

I LOVE this game, it's probably my favorite Switch game to date. Playing through levels with 2-4 players is a lot of fun as well. 

I've been hooked on it since we bought it. Honestly, it's probably my favorite Mario game ever. Why? It has elements from ALL of my favorite Mario games (although I do miss Mario 2, they should add that with DLC). While I do like the 3D Mario games (Mario 64, Odyessey, etc) I actually prefer the 2D games, they are just more fun imo. 

I am in the process of going back and fine tuning all my levels before they are uploaded. I actually have made a full blown Mario game (8 Worlds, 4 levels per world). I tried to keep it in the spirit of the original games. So while it's not as creative or imaginative as some other levels out there, I think it actually "feels" like playing a new Mario game, at the same time reminding players of the original games. I called it Super Mario Redux. It starts out fairly easy, but it gets challenging as the game goes along (just like Mario games of old). 

I have to take the Switch back from my daughter (she has had it for the last 24 hours). Then I will fine tune everything, upload, and put the codes here so folks can play them.

Post of your codes when you fine tune it! I’d love to try this.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

5 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

I plan on getting this game. Not really planning on creating many levels but there are over 100 in-game, plus endless levels online. I too prefer 2d Mario.

You won't regret it. It's seriously my favorite Mario game ever. 

Making levels can be quite time consuming. I just got all 32 from my "game" uploaded, and it took me the better part of a week to do. I'll put the codes in here tomorrow, so you guys can play them. I really look forward to people playing them. I know my wife and kids seemed to enjoy them. Like I said before, they start put pretty easy, but then I ramp up the difficulty. They are not crazy hard (I wanted them to be beatable by decent Mario players). Having said that, I struggled at times during my play through, and I made the levels, lol. 

40 minutes ago, action said:

all I want to know is: can you only make 32 levels, or can you make more?

How many levels can you make and store on your switch?

I don't plan on uploading anything, I don't even have switch online

You can make a lot more than 32, but you can only upload 32. I haven't counted, but I bet you can make around 100 or more.

11 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

You can make a lot more than 32, but you can only upload 32. I haven't counted, but I bet you can make around 100 or more.

cool

I want to recreate all my favorite mario games from the past. mario land 1, wario land 1, super mario world, mario bros 3...

all in the style of super mario world.

I wonder if that's possible?

How are the limitations in levels here? How long can levels be? how is it with the restrictions on resources and stuff? I heard they were quite restrictfull in mario maker 1

6 hours ago, action said:

cool

I want to recreate all my favorite mario games from the past. mario land 1, wario land 1, super mario world, mario bros 3...

all in the style of super mario world.

I wonder if that's possible?

How are the limitations in levels here? How long can levels be? how is it with the restrictions on resources and stuff? I heard they were quite restrictfull in mario maker 1

Yes, there are some limitations, it would take forever for me to describe what you can and cant do. Based upon what you said, Mario Land 1 IS possible to recreate (I actually played a level where someone did exactly that). As for the others, Wario isn't in the game as of now (although I DO think DLC will happen. It seems like they left certain things out on purpose. They left space in the game selection screen, which if they were 100% done, why leave space?) So I DO expect Mario 2 to get added, and possibly some Wario content, and other things. 

As for what you CAN do, you can do Mario 1 95% accurate (the only things missing are night stages and the large castles at the end of the level. Where the flag pole is, before the 4th level, a BIG castle was present. Also no fireworks after beating a level. But these are all minor issues really. 

As for Mario 3, it's probably around 85%. The Koopalings are missing, which is a little disappointing. Hopefully they get added eventually as well. Also not ALL of the stage options or powerups are available. You only get the leaf and boot (as far as unique Mario 3 powerups). 

Mario World (I'm not as familiar with, although I DID play and beat it back in the day, I haven't replayed it as much as 1 and 3). From what I remember though, probably around 90% is there. You get the feather, green and red yoshi, and most of the enemies and levels. 

Mario Wii U I cant really comment on and I think Mario 3d worlds is new to Mario Maker 2. Both of these game modes are really fun though. 

As for how BIG you can make levels, you get two areas per level (main and a warp), and you can make them both pretty freaking big. As big or bigger than any level you can think of from Mario 1, 3, or World. 

It doesn't give you unlimited resources, like you can only 5 or so Bowsers/ Bowser jrs. Per section of your level. Same goes for doors, you can only add 4 per section of your level. By section I mean main and warp. You can have 4 doors in your main and 4 more in your warp, for a total of 8 per level. Which is a little bit restricting, yes. But if you are creative and plan your levels well, it feels like a lot. 

Overall I cant speak higher of this game, I like it a lot. It's my favorite Mario game EVER. 3 and 1 were always my favs, and BOTH are well represented. I always liked Mario World (although I'm not sure where I would rank it), but it's a nice addition. Mario Wii U and Mario 3d are great as well, and a lot of fun, especially Mario 3d worlds, the cat suit is a LOT of fun. 

As of today, it's my favorite Switch game we own, and that includes: Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Diablo 3, Skyrim and Mario Kart 8. It really hits that sweet spot of being nostalgic, yet also new and fresh. 

• Like 1

Here is my game, give it a play.

Super Mario Redux

World 1.1 NON-R6F-D1G

World 1.2 V5P-R4K-JVG

World 1.3 46H-7P7-TPG

World 1.4 84F-W1B-TYF

World 2.1 6Y8-B9M-GWF

World 2.2 D4X-9LC-BSF

World 2.3 67P-D2V-1LF

World 2.4 VWB-888-RQF

World 3.1 VW8-97Y-NLG

World 3.2 XQ9-FL3-PVF

World 3.3 NO6-QK7-TPG

World 3.4 V5W-1RR-3XG

World 4.1 6RT-L6D-DRG

World 4.2 46K-6DC-WXG

World 4.3 QR9-JLT-LQG

World 4.4 XL5-Q9X-1LF

World 5.1 JVS-X9Q-GWF

World 5.2 0QL-8M5-PVF

World 5.3 4GC-YL3-P7G

World 5.4 4BY-T3W-1YF

World 6.1 QWT-H65-62G

World 6.2 GCR-MFX-Q3G

World 6.3 JV6-PXP-3TF

World 6.4 69S-5S3-DRG

World 7.1 BY3-49O-8XF

World 7.2 6T4-M6F-1PG

World 7.3 2TK-WF6-DDG

World 7.4 XDV-BMM-LCG

World 8.1 2FP-DYK-1YF

World 8.2 08Y-TT8-YSG

World 8.3 8OR-W28-W6G

World 8.4 NQH-CJY-NHF

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

20 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Here is my game, give it a play.

Super Mario Redux

World 1.1 NON-R6F-D1G

World 1.2 V5P-R4K-JVG

World 1.3 46H-7P7-TPG

World 1.4 84F-W1B-TYF

World 2.1 gotta double check

World 2.2 D4X-9LC-BSF

World 2.3 gotta double check

World 2.4 VWB-888-RQF

World 3.1 VW8-97Y-NLG

World 3.2 XQ9-FL3-PVF

World 3.3 NO6-QK7-TPG

World 3.4 V5W-1RR-3XG

World 4.1 6RT-L6D-DRG

World 4.2 46K-6DC-WXG

World 4.3 QR9-JLT-LQG

World 4.4 XL5-Q9X-1LF

World 5.1 JVS-X9Q-GWF

World 5.2 0QL-8M5-PVF

World 5.3 4GC-YL3-P7G

World 5.4 4BY-T3W-1YF

World 6.1 QWT-H65-62G

World 6.2 GCR-MFX-Q3G

World 6.3 JV6-PXP-3TF

World 6.4 69S-5S3-DRG

World 7.1 BY3-49O-8XF

World 7.2 6T4-M6F-1PG

World 7.3 2TK-WF6-DDG

World 7.4 XDV-BMM-LCG

World 8.1 2FP-DYK-1YF

World 8.2 08Y-TT8-YSG

World 8.3 8OR-W28-W6G

World 8.4 NQH-CJY-NHF

Planning to give this a try once World 2 is fixed!

@Iron MikeyJ what do these codes do? are they level - ID's that connect to your profile? Do I need connection to internet?

Or is it more like a "passcode" that saves your levels?

I don't have nintendo online. Will these codes work?

If so, these codes can be handy to bypass the nintendo online wall to share levels

Edited by action

5 hours ago, action said:

@Iron MikeyJ what do these codes do? are they level - ID's that connect to your profile? Do I need connection to internet?

Or is it more like a "passcode" that saves your levels?

I don't have nintendo online. Will these codes work?

If so, these codes can be handy to bypass the nintendo online wall to share levels

They are the codes to access my levels. It's how you search for them. Ypu can also put in my user ID code, which will take you to my profile and access them that way as well. Yes you need Nintendo online to do this, but its only $20 for a whole year. When you play online, you can try and set the "world record" for any course you play (beat it in the fastest time). You can also download any level, and play them offline as often as you want (I recommend this for playing them multiplayer). 

well, that's a missed opportunity for me then, I don't do games as a service, and I'll never will.

I did just bought the game though, as a slight discount for 49.99 euro.

For now, I'm hugely enjoying the story mode. It's like a 2D mario megamix with all the best templates of the past. For that alone, I'm considering this a classic.

I'm also planning on building some levels in the style of the old classics, and store them. endless replayability right there.

1 hour ago, action said:

well, that's a missed opportunity for me then, I don't do games as a service, and I'll never will.

I did just bought the game though, as a slight discount for 49.99 euro.

For now, I'm hugely enjoying the story mode. It's like a 2D mario megamix with all the best templates of the past. For that alone, I'm considering this a classic.

I'm also planning on building some levels in the style of the old classics, and store them. endless replayability right there.

I already had the Nintendo online service (I bought it for the NES games). So it wasn't an added or extra expense for me, just something I already had. I understand what you are saying though.

I've just build my first level. An attempt to recreate yoshis's island 1 from super mario world. Took my one hour, using the maps I linked earlier.

It's a shame levels can only be 10 screens wide. Serious limit on the possibility to recreate all SMW levels. May be the biggest gripe I have with the build mode. 10 screens is really bare.

But still, it's unlike anything I have ever played before.

There are slots for 120 levels, but I guess it's 120 levels per account. I have 3 accounts, so I'll split these between the mario bros / mario bros 3 and super mario world themes. I'm going to recreate as much levels of those games as possible, and adding a few oddities here and there.

Great game, surely my favorite mario game ever.