UYI - Boxset (wishlist)

1 minute ago, Latx said:

No necof it matters what The Big Three put out, lay in concert, etc.

Enough older GnR fans are buying it up $$$$$$$ and enough people born way after say 1999  

are buying this  concert tour and everything, merch,    everything.  so , for The Big Three,  run with it $$$$$$$$$$$$$$&&&

Hey I was born after 99, and I'm not buying it.

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

How is that even possible.

Got into GNR a few years ago around 2016, learned / read / listened to interviews, heard all there songs, I'm not that old, but unlike a lot of people my age I actually like real music by actually talented people, for a long time the only band I listened to was AC/DC heard all there 150+ studio songs a million times, needed something new

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, djones1225 said:

Got into GNR a few years ago around 2016, learned / read / listened to interviews, heard all there songs, I'm not that old, but unlike a lot of people my age I actually like real music by actually talented people, for a long time the only band I listened to was AC/DC heard all there 150+ studio songs a million times, needed something new

1999 isn't really far off from when I was born but still though I'm probably the youngest on the form

Yes. What  I mean is that a lot  of their fans  are  young. I do  not mean it as to insult  anyone older or younger.

I just through that date out  there.

Point is  GnR has  many  fan  young enough to be their  children.

GnR  is  a  cool  thing  for  that  age group.  GREAT!!!

A band  wants to expand their audience.

I see nothing wrong  , again as I have said , with The Big Three  raking in the hundreds  of millions  on this 4 year record breaking  world tour.

• Like 1

I was born in 2000 throughout the early part of my life only ever heard jungle and SCOM then in like 2013 I was bored with today’s music so I dove deep into the ass crack of the GNR catalogue and was an instant diehard fan

Edited by Gimpy Hewitt
  • Like 2

When I first starting getting into GNR, I listened to more of the demos / unreleased stuff of the 80s rather than Illusions era officially released songs, (gibbos if your reading this thanks for posting all those demos) I love the GNR rendition of Heartbreak Hotel (which I remastered and sounds like Civil War in terms of production), acoustic NR which I like better, all those demos from the AFD era were fucking killer, disappointed when some of those weren't on the boxset

• Like 2

On 7/7/2019 at 8:18 AM, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I'd want the versions of "Civil War" and "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" with Adler on drums

Maybe I remember this wrong, but I could have sworn Steven did drums on the album cut of Civil War. 

For starters I would like them to remaster the albums so they sound a bit heavier... Turning up Izzy would accomplish that.. Make all the rockers have the balls of You Could Be Mine.. Also strip some of the songs down by removing some of the corny overdubs.

Any live material, footage and alternate versions or demos would be great too. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

For starters I would like them to remaster the albums so they sound a bit heavier... Turning up Izzy would accomplish that.. Make all the rockers have the balls of You Could Be Mine.. Also strip some of the songs down by removing some of the corny overdubs.

Any live material, footage and alternate versions or demos would be great too. 

Which overdubs are you referring to?

45 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Which overdubs are you referring to?

That weird sound effect on Garden of Eden. The breaking eggshell on Dead Horse. Maybe that speech at the end of Breakdown. 

5 minutes ago, Ant said:

That weird sound effect on Garden of Eden. The breaking eggshell on Dead Horse. Maybe that speech at the end of Breakdown. 

Also the Bohemian Rhapsody-esque countdown and effects on Perfect Crime. Definitely not needed, it just doesn't have the grit of the live version of Perfect Crime

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 12:37 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I don’t think Axl looks back on UYI fondly either. During the 2001-2002 tour only four UYI songs were played (two of which were covers). Plus, in 1999, he said when he listens back to UYI he can “hear a band dying” and in 2002 he said that during the release of UYI he “suffered a lot internally from the band and externally from the press.” Then in 2009, he said that he wishes the band would’ve just narrowed it down to one album, as he feels that way it would’ve been “more effective and powerful.”

so yeah, I don’t think we are gonna get any kind of UYI remaster. Not one endorsed by the band, at least. Would still love a streaming service with all of the pro shot concerts, tho, and the Perfect Crime doc (even if it’s heavily watered down it or includes spliced in interviews of the band today, to get their perspective on all that footage in hindsight).

Definitely take Axl at his word- but nonetheless still strange to me. Always think of that era as very “Axl driven”- and in many ways that’s a compliment. Maybe they went all “Physical Graffiti” an album too early as some claim- but it also got them to full-blown blockbuster/stadium-level before the implosion. Kind of thing that served them well when RNRHOF came up. Also- from a popular perception POV I think “NR” (both song & video) goes down as Axl’s high point artistically...

Oh well... it’s definitely my favorite era (can’t help I was in high school at the time)... so as much as we can have please! Lol.

21 minutes ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Definitely take Axl at his word- but nonetheless still strange to me. Always think of that era as very “Axl driven”- and in many ways that’s a compliment. Maybe they went all “Physical Graffiti” an album too early as some claim- but it also got them to full-blown blockbuster/stadium-level before the implosion. Kind of thing that served them well when RNRHOF came up. Also- from a popular perception POV I think “NR” (both song & video) goes down as Axl’s high point artistically...

Oh well... it’s definitely my favorite era (can’t help I was in high school at the time)... so as much as we can have please! Lol.

It’s arguably my favorite era too for most of the same reasons you mentioned above, but we must also remember that Axl probably went through a lot personally during that whole time period (Erin, Steph, Alan Niven, Steven, Izzy, Goldstein, all the drugs during the tour, Slash and Duff being off the rails drug-wise, the riots and rants and late starts, etc.). So he probably thinks of THAT stuff more than he thinks about the “surface level” stuff (like the tour itself or album itself) when it comes to UYI. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

It’s arguably my favorite era too for most of the same reasons you mentioned above, but we must also remember that Axl probably went through a lot personally during that whole time period (Erin, Steph, Alan Niven, Steven, Izzy, Goldstein, all the drugs during the tour, Slash and Duff being off the rails drug-wise, the riots and rants and late starts, etc.). So he probably thinks of THAT stuff more than he thinks about the “surface level” stuff (like the tour itself or album itself) when it comes to UYI. 

Absolutely. Terrible times personally, and obviously Axl has all the latitude in the world to walk away from it. I think Matt & Gilby may complicate matters too. Emphasizing that era tends to elevate their standing- and Axl has always seemed much more a “champion” of the Appetite, and even most of the Chinese-era guys...

At any rate, just a shame IMHO b/c there is so much quality, heartfelt material in the UYI-era- both musically and visually. Much to be proud of. Just awkward that their time at the very pinnacle of pop culture is almost avoided. Hopefully better for everybody someday...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Absolutely. Terrible times personally, and obviously Axl has all the latitude in the world to walk away from it. I think Matt & Gilby may complicate matters too. Emphasizing that era tends to elevate their standing- and Axl has always seemed much more a “champion” of the Appetite, and even most of the Chinese-era guys...

At any rate, just a shame IMHO b/c there is so much quality, heartfelt material in the UYI-era- both musically and visually. Much to be proud of. Just awkward that their time at the very pinnacle of pop culture is almost avoided. Hopefully better for everybody someday...

Yeah, another personal issue with UYI that Axl probably has is the fact that it was around the same time that GnR were starting to seem like a joke in the wake of Kurt Cobain and grunge and all that. I once read that “Nirvana did to GnR what GnR did to all of the glam and hair metal bands... made them look silly...”

30 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I once read that “Nirvana did to GnR what GnR did to all of the glam and hair metal bands... made them look silly...”

Not just silly. Nirvana made Gn'R uncool, but only to some as Guns were still playing stadiums after Nirvana achieved real success. Gn'R had already established a huge fan base and a lot of fans in different countries were not automatically and suddenly bored or had moved on from the more classic and indulgent Hard Rock Gn'R were delivering.

They were still loved by many and it never really went away which is cool. There was anticipation for the follow up to UYI, even though a new scene had emerged and Gn'R was not a part of it. Then again, Metallica wasn't a part of it either and I think it's a good example cause Nirvana was more punk rock and not really geared towards the more traditional Rock/Metal bands with a big solo in almost every tune.

Alice In Chains was considered "grunge" but they were more similar to Guns than they were to Nirvana. Black Sabbath is what connects them all together anyway (Nirvana's Bleach, AIC, half of Soundgarden's sound, and Metallica to a certain extent)

Chris Novoselic said in 2009 Faith No More and Jane's Addiction paved the way for Nirvana. Mike Patton didn't think there was anything revolutionary in what Nirvana did musically.

• Like 2