Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 18/7/2019 at 9:14 AM, fanfzero said:

Farm Aid counts like uyi era?

It does, to me. Farm Aid was in april, the first UYI demo sessions we know were in september, so it makes sense that for the Farm Aid time they were already writing stuff. People think that just because Izzy and Steven were there, it was still the AFD era. The reality is that both Izzy and Steven (Izzy kinda obvious but still) contributed to the UYI albums. Plus both songs they played don't have anything to do with the "AFD era".

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Normally I couldn't care less about getting remastered and remixed albums, but a new UYI would be of interest because I happen to think the mixing and mastering on the original is crap. There's something about the tone of the guitars that sucks, it's too polished yet muddy and undefined compared to AFD. Even the punk rawness of LLAS is better than the tone of the rockers on UYI. Axl sounds like he is rambling with a peg over his nose on a lot of the fast rockers on UYI.

Plus some of them could be arranged better. Like, the vocals begin soon as the main riff kicks in on Right Next Door To Hell, but they should let the riff breathe for a few bars first before the vocals join in. That's how the songs work on AFD. And don't get me started on November Rain, terrible arrangement. The end part with Slash's 'solo' is just the same 4 bars repeated over and over. Estranged is amazing though, as is Civil War, Locomotive, Coma and the Garden. The rest of the songs are just filler if I'm honest. 

Edited by Nice Boy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

Normally I couldn't care less about getting remastered and remixed albums, but a new UYI would be of interest because I happen to think the mixing and mastering on the original is crap. There's something about the tone of the guitars that sucks, it's too polished yet muddy and undefined compared to AFD. Even the punk rawness of LLAS is better than the tone of the rockers on UYI. Axl sounds like he is rambling with a peg over his nose on a lot of the fast rockers on UYI.

Plus some of them could be arranged better. Like, the vocals begin soon as the main riff kicks in on Right Next Door To Hell, but they should let the riff breathe for a few bars first before the vocals join in. That's how the songs work on AFD. And don't get me started on November Rain, terrible arrangement. The end part with Slash's 'solo' is just the same 4 bars repeated over and over. Estranged is amazing though, as is Civil War, Locomotive, Coma and the Garden. The rest of the songs are just filled if I'm honest. 

You could be mine a filler?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could be mine is good instrumentally but I don't like the lyrics and theme much, it's such a bitter and spiteful song really

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 6:08 AM, Nice Boy said:

You could be mine is good instrumentally but I don't like the lyrics and theme much, it's such a bitter and spiteful song really

Im not too high on the vocal take, doesn't have the rawness of the live version, especially the breakdown verse. A lot of Axls takes are meh to me. If they could get the UYI albums to sound closer to the production value of TSI, that'd be perfect 😁😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20.7.2019 at 3:08 AM, Nice Boy said:

Normally I couldn't care less about getting remastered and remixed albums, but a new UYI would be of interest because I happen to think the mixing and mastering on the original is crap. There's something about the tone of the guitars that sucks, it's too polished yet muddy and undefined compared to AFD. Even the punk rawness of LLAS is better than the tone of the rockers on UYI. Axl sounds like he is rambling with a peg over his nose on a lot of the fast rockers on UYI.

Plus some of them could be arranged better. Like, the vocals begin soon as the main riff kicks in on Right Next Door To Hell, but they should let the riff breathe for a few bars first before the vocals join in. That's how the songs work on AFD. And don't get me started on November Rain, terrible arrangement. The end part with Slash's 'solo' is just the same 4 bars repeated over and over. Estranged is amazing though, as is Civil War, Locomotive, Coma and the Garden. The rest of the songs are just filler if I'm honest. 

Ehm, you're insane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 6:08 PM, Nice Boy said:

Like, the vocals begin soon as the main riff kicks in on Right Next Door To Hell, but they should let the riff breathe for a few bars first before the vocals join in.

The main riff goes for about 16 bars before Axl comes in. He doesn't join in immediately.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we get some version of the albums minus all the extra effects and voices Axl put on afterwards. Wether it’s a remaster taking them off or demos.

The perfect crime documentary (screenings in cinemas to coincide with the release) it would be killer to see and hear that era in a theatre. 

A CD of each band members “ideas” for the songs, see how they formed. 

Some stand alone releases on vinyl of live shows from the era. Or a pick of the tour set on vinyl. 

No bollocks:

no rings, temporary tattoos, skeleton sex  lithos, posters, badges, bandannas, scarves, necklaces, cock rings, or any other tossology.

Music and Video please. 

A really cool thing would be a “Classic Albums” style documentary on the recording of the illusions albums.

Interviews with the original 4 & Matt about the recording of the album, their memories of it. Mike Klinck & Bill Price if they are still around could tweak the board like they do in the classic albums episodes. 

Except id need about 12-14 hours of a documentary 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 12:51 PM, 1987b said:

All I would really be interested in is remastered (or even redone) demos of unreleased songs from that era.  Ain’t going down, crash diet, too fast, sentimental movie etc....

That's pretty much the same for me. And 14 Years with that outro. I swear they should've left that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

The main riff goes for about 16 bars before Axl comes in. He doesn't join in immediately.

No that's a different riff on the intro. I'm talking about the main riff that kicks in when the drums do too. Axl comes in then as well. Would sound better if he leaves it for a few bars before beginning his verse, imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed today that the Axl peg nose thing I'm talking about is really bad on the last verses of Breakdown. He sounds blocked up and the lyrics are unintelligible, the audio needs remixing there..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

No that's a different riff on the intro. I'm talking about the main riff that kicks in when the drums do too. Axl comes in then as well. Would sound better if he leaves it for a few bars before beginning his verse, imo

The chord progression for the verse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

The chord progression for the verse?

Yeah, the intro section is a different  riff to the chord progression during the verse when Axl comes in. I think the arrangement would be better if the progression was instrumental for a few bars before the vocal comes in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2019 at 9:13 AM, soon said:

It seems incredibly likely that the masters were lost in the fire. Which sucks because imho no album in history would benefit more from a top to bottom remix and remaster.

Many have noted how UYI light the NITL set lists have been and some speculate that Axl just isnt fond of focusing on that era of his life and the band. I think there could be something to that. The fire could have made Axl very happy that the label cant hoist the remaster reissue UYI onto him.

I hope the master exists. Even still, CW was so spliced it would be a miracle if they could play it back (because the sticky tape that holds the cuts together on the tape dries out and the various segments fall apart). 

BUT: Axl and Slash were both trying to steer the ship during post-production on UYI so its also likely that they each had a master copy in their own possession. So then those master copies would just have to have survived house fires and earth quakes. :o

I'd also like a copy of the 'signing over the name' contract in a box set.

I’m late to the party here, pal, but I wanted to hit this point. I think that’s exactly the way it’s happened. Axl takes so much heat for everything 1989 (One in a Million, LA Coliseum) and on. The Adler firing was his doing. The psycho late concert starts, and torn voice in 91. Izzy leaving because of bloated, expensive videos. And the money liberal tours. The new band agreement. Ax gets nailed on all this. Drunk, stoned, and slapjacked Slash and Duff feel none of it. Axl doesn’t want to play on it unless they’re his - NR, Estranged. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blu-Rays of Indiana '91 and Buenos Aires '93.

Perfect Crime.

YCBM demo with Adler if it exists.

I remember a couple of Civil War demos that were on YouTube back in the day (one was instrumental I think).

Would love to hear any Estranged demos.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, PirateRadio said:

I’m late to the party here, pal, but I wanted to hit this point. I think that’s exactly the way it’s happened. Axl takes so much heat for everything 1989 (One in a Million, LA Coliseum) and on. The Adler firing was his doing. The psycho late concert starts, and torn voice in 91. Izzy leaving because of bloated, expensive videos. And the money liberal tours. The new band agreement. Ax gets nailed on all this. Drunk, stoned, and slapjacked Slash and Duff feel none of it. Axl doesn’t want to play on it unless they’re his - NR, Estranged. 

I hope cooler heads prevail and the band do it for the fans. If thats how axl feels that the illusions period wasnt a happy time then fine maybe say that as part of an interview, its no surprise to any fan. But whether they like it or not the illusions era was a huge moment for the band.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I hope cooler heads prevail and the band do it for the fans. If thats how axl feels that the illusions period wasnt a happy time then fine maybe say that as part of an interview, its no surprise to any fan. But whether they like it or not the illusions era was a huge moment for the band.

Furthermore the UYI albums and the UYI tour are the (only) reason why the band can still tour stadiums from 2016-2019 without having released one single note of new music. The average joe comes because he got into GNR via the UYI era. Of course AFD is a classic and the average joe got known Sweet child, PC and WTTJ after he got into GNR in 92 or 93, maybe already in 91. But its not that these three AFD songs had filled the biggest stadiums worldwide back then or they alone could fill stadiums these days. The people come to the NITL tour because of their 90s nostalgia caused by then omnipresent cartoon characters named Axl Rose and Slash and songs like KOHD, NR, Don’t Cry, LALD, YCBM (T2), maybe even Estranged or Yesterdays. Of course they are not coming for the Garden, Garden of Eden or Dead Horse. But they are also not coming because of Sweet child or PC alone. 

Hence, in my opinion the UYI era got GNR the legend status they still do profit from to this day. This is why they should give the UYI the anniversary party these albums deserve even more than AFD. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hmm... I'd love:

Remastered UYI I and II (they sound like dog crap)

The original bonus disks intended for UYI (Spaghetti Incident (with the unreleased instrumentals) and whatever else was in consideration)

A treasure trove of demos (Don't Cry, You Could Be Mine, Yesterdays, etc.)

A raw version of UYI without the dubs

The Tokyo show

The Paris show

The Perfect Crime documentary

Remastered GnR Live Era

 

What we'll get:

Spoiler

 

Remastered UYI I and II

A collection of the singles

A disk of demos we already have

The Tokyo show, still split into two DVDs

Monopoly size pieces of Axl's converse sneakers, Slash's hat and Duff's bass

The edited combined UYI disk

Welcome to the Videos


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Furthermore the UYI albums and the UYI tour are the (only) reason why the band can still tour stadiums from 2016-2019 without having released one single note of new music. The average joe comes because he got into GNR via the UYI era. Of course AFD is a classic and the average joe got known Sweet child, PC and WTTJ after he got into GNR in 92 or 93, maybe already in 91. But its not that these three AFD songs had filled the biggest stadiums worldwide back then or they alone could fill stadiums these days. The people come to the NITL tour because of their 90s nostalgia caused by then omnipresent cartoon characters named Axl Rose and Slash and songs like KOHD, NR, Don’t Cry, LALD, YCBM (T2), maybe even Estranged or Yesterdays. Of course they are not coming for the Garden, Garden of Eden or Dead Horse. But they are also not coming because of Sweet child or PC alone. 

Hence, in my opinion the UYI era got GNR the legend status they still do profit from to this day. This is why they should give the UYI the anniversary party these albums deserve even more than AFD. 

I couldn't disagree more.. Guns N' Roses were fucking huge before the illusions came out and could play stadiums by the time LIES was out.  Appetite was a lot more than the 3 singles.. People rocked that whole album. The Illusion albums charted at number's 1 & 2 upon their release riding the coat tails of Appetite and LIES. I vividly remember many people not like the Illusion albums as much and I still find myself defending the albums to this day. How can anyone say the average Joe learned Jungle, Sweet Child and Paradise City after getting into the band during the Illusions albums? That is just not accurate. It may have happened and it may be your story but I lived it. Guns N' Roses started getting really big when Appetite was released and I was in middle school. The next year when I went to high school you couldn't walk down the hall or sit in a class without seeing a Guns N' Roses shirt. LIES was huge with my crowd as well. Civil War was also huge prior to Illusions coming out when they released it on a soundtrack or whatever. Almost every kind of rock fan back loved the band. When the illusions came out that all started to change. Sure they were still very successful and had a huge tour but do you think any of that would have been possible without Appetite/LIES??? I love the Illusions albums but if the Illusions came out first, we wouldn't be talking about this band today... 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Furthermore the UYI albums and the UYI tour are the (only) reason why the band can still tour stadiums from 2016-2019 without having released one single note of new music. The average joe comes because he got into GNR via the UYI era. Of course AFD is a classic and the average joe got known Sweet child, PC and WTTJ after he got into GNR in 92 or 93, maybe already in 91. But its not that these three AFD songs had filled the biggest stadiums worldwide back then or they alone could fill stadiums these days. The people come to the NITL tour because of their 90s nostalgia caused by then omnipresent cartoon characters named Axl Rose and Slash and songs like KOHD, NR, Don’t Cry, LALD, YCBM (T2), maybe even Estranged or Yesterdays. Of course they are not coming for the Garden, Garden of Eden or Dead Horse. But they are also not coming because of Sweet child or PC alone. 

Hence, in my opinion the UYI era got GNR the legend status they still do profit from to this day. This is why they should give the UYI the anniversary party these albums deserve even more than AFD. 

LOL, AfD and AFD alone gave them legend status... Do you even know what "legend" means? Maybe UYI circus got them additional exposure to, as you say "avarage Joes", but their legacy is AFD and Lies...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I couldn't disagree more.. Guns N' Roses were fucking huge before the illusions came out and could play stadiums by the time LIES was out.  Appetite was a lot more than the 3 singles.. People rocked that whole album. The Illusion albums charted and number's 1 & 2 riding the coat tails of Appetite and LIES. I vividly remember many people not like the Illusion albums as much and I still find myself defending the albums to this day. How can anyone say the average Joe learned Jungle, Sweet Child and Paradise City after getting into the band during the Illusions albums? That is just not accurate. It may have happened and it may be your story but I lived it. Guns N' Roses started getting really big when Appetite was released and I was in middle school. The next year when I went to high school you couldn't walk down the hall or sit in a class without seeing a Guns N' Roses shirt. LIES was huge with my crowd as well. Civil War was also huge prior to Illusions coming out when they released it on a soundtrack or whatever. Almost every kind of rock fan back loved the band. When the illusions came out that all started to change. Sure they were still very successful and had a huge tour but do you think any of that would have been possible without Appetite/LIES??? I love the Illusions albums but if the Illusions came out first, we wouldn't be talking about this band today... 

No misunderstanding: AFD was huge and known to every rock fan, maybe even to every open minded music fan. No doubt about it. 

But the massive international/worldwide hype when GNR became the biggest band on the planet was the UYI era. You cannot deny this. 

During the AFD/Lies era there were no pay worldwide live streams of a stadium show direct from Paris, there was no airplay in pop radio, their was no coverage in yellow press magazines, there was not every single kid at school wearing GNR shirts from 10 years onwards, my mom did not know who Slash was, there was no signature outfit of Axl Rose nearly each human being in the western/eastern world between 10 and  65 could describe, there was no GNR bedlinen, their were no new GNR special magazines at your local kiosk each month, there was no Axl Rose hitting the stage several times during the Freddie Mercury Tribute show, there was no November Rain video all the fashion girls talked about because Stephanie Seymour was in, there was no multiple sharing the stage with Elton John, there was no Arnold Schwarzenegger blockbuster feature, there were no sold out shows at Wembley fuckin’ stadium etc.

During AFD/Lies era GNR were one very known and good rock band which was praised within the rock music scene. This is for sure. But the time when you had no chance to escape from GNR and everybody worldwide learned about them was from 91-94. 

Same goes for Metallica (on a slightly different level). Of course Kill, Ride, Master and Justice are classic albums everyone interested in hard rock music knew. But Metallica finally became world famous to „everyone“ with the black album. 

Finally, my definition of the average joe is my boss for example. She is 45 years old and went to the NITL tour with her husband and friends because „Slish (sic) is back“ and „I liked Knock, knock on heavens door and November Rain so much when I was young“. You’re nothing but wasting time when you ask her for Mr Brownstone, Nightrain or Rocket Queen. But she does know Nothing else matters and the intro riff of Enter Sandmann for sure. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • The Unreleased Tour Documentary in HD
  • The Making of the Videos
  • All Illusions Era Music Videos
  • If they have it a proshot of that conert from the tour that went 3+ hours
  • Photobook
  • Anything from the vault from those sessions
  • Throw Spaghetti Incident in too the way they threw Lies in the AFD set
  • No bogus merch like t-shirts and tacky bullshit
  • Don't price it above $250/£200

 

If we got even half of that I'd be super happy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, acor said:

LOL, AfD and AFD alone gave them legend status... Do you even know what "legend" means? Maybe UYI circus got them additional exposure to, as you say "avarage Joes", but their legacy is AFD and Lies...

No offense, but you are some damn wrong if you truly believe that NITL tour is such an success because of AFD alone. Or in other words: You don’t think NITL tour would be that successful as it is even if there were no UYI albums?!

I cannot remember a tour like NITL GNR did in between 87 and 91, can you? 

Apart from this, it seems you didn’t read my post. I did not say that GNR didn’t reach legend status because of AFD alone. Maybe they  would be considered as legends from todays point of view even if AFD would have been their one and only album. Who knows. 

What I did say is, that UYI gave them the legend status they still do profit from to date. In other words: If there would have not been the mainstrem hype during 91-94 there wouldn’t be packed stadiums for nearly four years now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zigzagbigbag said:

I cannot remember a tour like NITL GNR did in between 87 and 91, can you? 

That is because they were a new band.. New bands don't go out and headline out of the gate. Appetite took a bit to catch on and by the time it did they were worldwide. Aside from a couple shows, they didn't tour at all in 88 and 89 as they were recording the Illusions albums. They were ready to sell out all over the world before the Illusions albums came out.. Hell they started the tour before the albums came out... Those Rock In Rio shows were fucking HUGE and aired on MTV.  Sure they were a huge act worldwide during the Illusions albums but that ready to happen regardless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×