What is your favourite Queen album?

Alan Antimatter

I'll go with 'The Works', though I've always said that the album could've been so much better.

If it included the single mix of 'I Want To Break Free', 'Thank God It's Christmas', 'Let Me Live', 'Let Me In Your Heart Again' and 'Love Kills', it would be held in the same breath as 'A Night at the Opera' in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Greatest Hits

this coming from a Queen fan since 1995, who has bought every Queen album three times and every DVD.

When we're talking overall enjoyment, "ready to play anytime", then GH is the clear choice. Something for everyone, universally acclaimed and enjoyed

As for their albums, after years of listening, I have come to the conclusion that these albums, one by one, are works of art and truly brilliant front to back, but still. The conclusion is crystal clear: greatest hits is their trademark album. A fitting choice for a band who produced albums worth of hits, who are instantly reckognised and will be enjoyed for as long as there are music players

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

When I saw you were the last poster in this thread I was like ‘noooooo, not Jabs too!  Et tu Jabs, et tu?!’.  Faith restored.  

My response was me being nice :lol: If I were to truly say what I think about Queen musically it would be considered blasphemous.

On July 8, 2019 at 7:38 PM, Rovim said:

'I first heard their song, it was about a train, I really liked it.' Spoken by a man who has songs about cars and rockets.

Different times, man. Different times. Im amused by it, but not mocking it. Theres an innocence to that era of rock that i fear we'll never recover. To sing about a train. And have other rock legends plainly state "I like you song about a train." Its fun.

3 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

My response was me being nice :lol: If I were to truly say what I think about Queen musically it would be considered blasphemous.

Something along the lines of ‘Freddie Mercury is a burly no talent Indian poofter dressed as a ballet dancer?’ :lol: 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, soon said:

'I first heard their song, it was about a train, I really liked it.' Spoken by a man who has songs about cars and rockets.

Different times, man. Different times. Im amused by it, but not mocking it. Theres an innocence to that era of rock that i fear we'll never recover. To sing about a train. And have other rock legends plainly state "I like you song about a train." Its fun.

I think you've missed the point though: Brian May is too fuckin' tall.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Something along the lines of ‘Freddie Mercury is a burly no talent Indian poofter dressed as a ballet dancer?’ :lol: 

Oh if it was just that simple :lol: Boiled down, I just hate the whole rock & opera hybrid sound. Didn't help when I was in high school hearing Bohemian Rhapsody played ad nausea cause of the wacky SNL characters skit turned into a full movie. Freddie had some pipes for sure, but Queen overall has zero appeal to me. It's grandiose bull shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabberwocky said:

Oh if it was just that simple :lol: Boiled down, I just hate the whole rock & opera hybrid sound. Didn't help when I was in high school hearing Bohemian Rhapsody played ad nausea cause of the wacky SNL characters skit turned into a full movie. Freddie had some pipes for sure, but Queen overall has zero appeal to me. It's grandiose bull shit.

I hate opera and rock hybrid bands and everything to do with the opera but I don't know... for some reason I love Queen. It's disturbingly campy but I love the music. To me Freddie's voice was amazing and what he did with it plus Brian May's solos had it all: technique, feel, rhythm, melody and exceptional harmonies. Also: I like layers and the more is more approach. You can hear May's influence in Slash's playing and Roger's influence in Steven's. Axl's musical approach obviously influenced by Queen as well.

Plus it's funny how Bowie worked with both Freddie and Iggy but that has more to do with Bowie "liking it all" I suppose.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

On 10/07/2019 at 8:41 PM, Jabberwocky said:

I just do not see the appeal at all.  I don't  hear any good tunes, I don't...see anything in the theatrics thats like, interesting.  Lets face it, all or most rock music has stage craft to it, The Ramones in their own way were highly theatrical, so I've nothing against that concept per se its just Queens particular take is...well, rather dull.  It don't rock very well, the experimentations aren't of a direction that I find interesting, the presentation is just, ugh, I dunno, nothing to it but more than anything, what little I've heard, the lyrics are absolutely fuckin' terrible. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I just do not see the appeal at all.  I don't  hear any good tunes, I don't...see anything in the theatrics thats like, interesting.  Lets face it, all or most rock music has stage craft to it, The Ramones in their own way were highly theatrical, so I've nothing against that concept per se its just Queens particular take is...well, rather dull.  It don't rock very well, the experimentations aren't of a direction that I find interesting, the presentation is just, ugh, I dunno, nothing to it but more than anything, what little I've heard, the lyrics are absolutely fuckin' terrible. 

Perfect encapsulation of how I feel about them and you said it better than I ever could.

Queen II

always has been, always will be. you really need to have the vinyl to really appreciate the whole black side/white side concept though. the album has a flow to it than none of the other queen albums quite has, although day at the races comes close. 

somebody to love comes close to being my favourite track. very difficult to pick just one

Dafont Showbox Adam4adam

Edited by natelivliv