Significant band locations in LA?

37 minutes ago, money honey said:

That would be awesome, where is it?

I dont know, but I know that others do. It may have been in the same vid that @31illusions mentioned earlier. I saw a video on here where someone toured the GNR sights that I'm pretty sure included the bus stop (or the intersection that used to have the bus stop).

Maybe @Fede made the vid? My memory is fuzzy, sorry.

3 hours ago, AncientEvil80 said:

That should be Gardner St.? 1506 N Gardner St? Pretty close to Guitar Center.

The one where they built the "wooden platform" inside if I remember correctly... 

The actual storage unit isn't there anymore, it's a house now. But you can see the alley behind it where they would hang out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Actually this is what is there now

o7k6cl.jpg

Cool find. Do you know what "Heads of Amazon" is all about in the picture?

I cant believe this came to mind, but isn't Heads Of Amazon the name of the band in the Fraser/Buscemi flick Air Heads?

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Cool find. Do you know what "Heads of Amazon" is all about in the picture?

I cant believe this came to mind, but isn't Heads Of Amazon the name of the band in the Fraser/Buscemi flick Air Heads?

It appears to be a GNR fan page on instagram

No that was the Lone Rangers

Edited by BlueJean Baby

The residence where the pictures were taken on the porch is 1135 Fuller. The shed behind the house is no longer there. The house is a single family residence in the front with a duplex in the rear. I think this location is what BJB was saying is a private residence and is what comes up when Google hell house. Interesting fact, its valued at $1.8M and  I think it's on RnR tours of locations. 

16 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

It appears to be a GNR fan page on instagram

No that was the Lone Rangers

Thanks! Lone Rangers, how could I forget!?

I remembered that Heads Of Amazon was a name that the earliest GnR lineup considered, lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, money honey said:

Great suggestions. For some reason, places they rehearsed don't excite me as much as places where they lives or hung out. I'll include them on my list though. As for Axl's house... I dunno, the address is all over the internet and lots of folks get their pic taken by the gate... people's private houses are a grey area for me.

Getting a photo outside his house would not be something i would be interested in, just drive by have a quick  look and drive off.  An opportunity to see where guns grandoise videos were shot, especially in the estranged video where axl is in the limo and heading down canyon road. Plus to see where axl spent his recluse/brian wilson years when slash left the band.

32 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's not what I saw... did I go to the wrong place? I'll have to check it out next time I'm in town.

If you go to the Rainbow the booth in the back right side corner is the one GnR often used (#6).

This house looks enough mournful now.

5 hours ago, Kwick1 said:

I think it's on RnR tours of locations.

Do you know of any such tours??

I've been searching for a tour of rock music locations in LA but the closest I came up with is about rock music of the 60s which doesn't interest me much. Vicky Hamilton did a tour of 80s Sunset Strip locations back in April but from what I can see she's not planning any more. I'd *love* to do a GNR locations tour. 

I was in LA last year, met Marc Canter who was the kindest guy I met in USA so far. He seemed to enjoy talking GnR. 

I also went to Axl's house is Canyon Rd. It felt really emotional to stand at his front gate, God knows why. I didn't ring the bell, I felt it was useless and besides, would you open your house to an Argentinian stranger who flew from Bs As just to take a glance at your house??? jajaja I surely would think about it.

I enjoyed California A LOT, loved it there, I look forward to returning as soon as I can.

I loved the Rainbow, Viper Room, the whole Sunset Strip is great for visiting at night. I had a great time. 

• Like 3

I went to Beethoven's house in Vienna, I walked past the apartment where Jim Morrison died in Paris, because it's in the centre anyway, I went to the place where Hitler's bunker was located in Berlin, not that there is anything to see there, I walked from Central Park to Harlem in the rain just to see the Apollo theater like a real tourist, which was an utter disappointment, other than that I don't remember doing these kinds of crazy things.

46 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I went to Beethoven's house in Vienna, I walked past the apartment where Jim Morrison died in Paris, because it's in the centre anyway, I went to the place where Hitler's bunker was located in Berlin, not that there is anything to see there, I walked from Central Park to Harlem in the rain just to see the Apollo theater like a real tourist, which was an utter disappointment, other than that I don't remember doing these kinds of crazy things.

Yes but Beethoven is a bit different from some ginger twerp of a hairband singer. You should visit the Beethovenhaus in Bonn.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You should visit the Beethovenhaus in Bonn.

Bonn is nearby, maybe 1,5 hour by car, but I have never been there. Cologne is usually the place to go in that area, I should check it out one of these days.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Bonn is nearby, maybe 1,5 hour by car, but I have never been there. Cologne is usually the place to go in that area, I should check it out one of these days.

There is a debate about Beethoven's birth place between you chaps (Dutch and Germans) isn't there, due to his Flemish origins, ''Van'' being the giveaway? Further confusing the issue is that Bonn was part of the Electorate of Cologne in those days which included parts of the present day Netherlands.

Bonn, also capital of the BRD of course. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is a debate about Beethoven's birth place between you chaps (Dutch and Germans) isn't there, due to his Flemish origins, ''Van'' being the giveaway? Further confusing the issue is that Bonn was part of the Electorate of Cologne in those days which included parts of the present day Netherlands.

Bonn, also capital of the BRD of course. 

Was listening to his 3rd symphony this morning on the way to work.  One thing I've come to note with classical music is that you sort of have to listen to it really loud to get everything, the low bits go really low.