SCOM is nearing 1 billion views on YouTube

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It was really bad but at least it served a purpose other than money. As a Queen fan I'm glad it was made and was a success cause now a lot more people care about Queen which is great. People might start with just the hits but then will be curious enough to check out the full albums.

True, but the movie sold itself as the real story, when it was FAR from it!

19 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

I think that SCOM is the only GnR song that when played live never came close to the studio version. They never matched the energy of the second half live

I’ll second that. It’s not anywhere near my favourite Guns tune, but it is a masterpiece and the band at their best. 

‘86 and ‘87 live shows I thought for the most part Axl sounded great. After that though it failed to match the record. 

On 7/15/2019 at 11:24 AM, rocknroll41 said:

on topic; November Rain was the first video of the whole rock genre to cross a billion clicks on YouTube, correct? So would that make SCOM the second? If so, that’s pretty cool that the top two most viewed music videos of the rock genre on YouTube are both GnR songs.

Imagine Dragons have a few songs over a billion views (if you'd consider that the rock genre), and someone else mentioned numb having over a billion views

But November Rain was the first video pre-2000's to reach a billion views, with it looking like Bohemian Rhapsody will be second, and than SCOM third. Kind of crazy though, cause I remember when November Rain hit a billion a few months ago Smells Like Teen Spirit had almost 100mil more views than SCOM, don't know how it managed to overtake

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I'm not into live music that much so after 2 or 3 hours I'm ready for it to be over. 

I'd like 5 hours with GNR. But with Steven and Izzy. Hell, even with Matt, I miss him too after frank the blank. Btw, Matt is awesome with The Cult, wish they did a lot bigger, they really deserved it.

11 minutes ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

I'd like 5 hours with GNR. But with Steven and Izzy. Hell, even with Matt, I miss him too after frank the blank. Btw, Matt is awesome with The Cult, wish they did a lot bigger, they really deserved it.

Totally agree.  I posted something the other day about certain bands that had the look and sound but never quite reached the level that Guns did.  The Cult exemplifies my point.  Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy were/are awesome and Matt complimented them well.  I think the biggest reason they weren't mega successful was because they never had that big hit, like SCOM.   She Sells Sanctuary was probably the closest they got and it's a great song.

1 hour ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

lol Frank the Blank..

I gotta say though, one of the biggest misconceptions was Matt's significance in the Cult during their prime..  I was fairly a big Cult fan and Matt was nothing but the touring drummer for the Sonic Temple tour.. That was it.  He never recorded a note on Dream time, Love, Electric, Sonic Temple or Ceremony which were their biggest and pretty much only significant records. ... It wasn't until 2001 that he actually recorded anything with the band on their Beyond Good and Evil album. 

• Like 2

On 7/17/2019 at 4:09 PM, lame ass security said:

Totally agree.  I posted something the other day about certain bands that had the look and sound but never quite reached the level that Guns did.  The Cult exemplifies my point.  Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy were/are awesome and Matt complimented them well.  I think the biggest reason they weren't mega successful was because they never had that big hit, like SCOM.   She Sells Sanctuary was probably the closest they got and it's a great song.

The Cult were damn good. They definitely deserved more success than a bunch of the poser bands of that time period. But I would not say they had the same stuff to "deserve" similar success to GN'R. Guns was a special band. Very special talent. The crazier scenario would have been if GN'R stayed as an underground band, which damn near happened. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

The Cult were damn good. They definitely deserved more success than a bunch of the poser bands of that time period. But I would not say they had the same stuff to "deserve" similar success to GN'R. Guns was a special band. Very special talent. The crazier scenario would have been if GN'R stayed as an underground band, which damn near happened. 

The Cult were a really good band. I would have loved Ian Astbury to work more with slash/VR to be honest. One of my favourite singers.

I think that Billy Duffy is great at writing riffs but I'm not a big fan of his guitar solos. They needed a better lead guitarist like slash to take them to the next level.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DK6 said:

The Cult were a really good band. I would have loved Ian Astbury to work more with slash/VR to be honest. One of my favourite singers.

I think that Billy Duffy is great at writing riffs but I'm not a big fan of his guitar solos. They needed a better lead guitarist like slash to take them to the next level.

And I would say better songwriting. Izzy/Axl blow the Cult guys out of the water in this area. Ian Astbury has an awesome voice for sure. But the rest of the band is not in the same stratosphere as GN'R. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Not a lot of bands have a roster where every member has a unique and identifiable musical voice and compelling persona. Really sets GNR apart! 

I really like The Cult, but it seems like Ceremony just killed any momentum they had coming off Sonic Temple. In the early 90's, if you didn't stick the landing during that huge musical shift, you were toast. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

And I would say better songwriting. Izzy/Axl blow the Cult guys out of the water in this area. Ian Astbury has an awesome voice for sure. But the rest of the band is not in the same stratosphere as GN'R. 

Agree 100%

• Like 1

Guns n Roses is special. They took all from Led Zep, Queen, Elton, Bowie, Pistols, ACDC, Aerosmith, Hanoi Rocks (yes, they fuckin' rocked) along with some others and made the perfect blend, far superior to anything imo, you can hear this and that here and there, but it's definitely in the GNR way, and in the GNR sound. That's a great achievement. Only A7X is doing this kinda thing nowadays in a narrow and smaller scale (Metallica, Maiden, Megadeth and yes, some Guns n Roses) , and doing fine too again imo. 

The Cult was not special , yet awesome especially during the Sonic Temple period. I love my The Cult maxis a lot, especially She Sells Sanctuary, which is a song beyond its age, Fire Woman, Edie, Wild Hearted Son and Rain, they all have fantastic sound. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 9:58 PM, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

The Cult was not special , yet awesome especially during the Sonic Temple period. I love my The Cult maxis a lot, especially She Sells Sanctuary, which is a song beyond its age, Fire Woman, Edie, Wild Hearted Son and Rain, they all have fantastic sound. 

Were you a fan of "Electric"? That is hands down my favorite Cult album

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Very 70s but is just excellent.but i love sonic temple more, when billy seemed to want the cult to be an arena band. I so hope they tour oz this year to play sonic temple start to finish.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I love it a lot, but Sonic Temple is their highlight for me, they really could be the next best thing if they could top it. Sonic Temple-Love-Electric-Ceremony. It goes like this for me.

And it was before Appettite, The Cult had really struck the shit music that period well with Love. Appetite destroyed it tho :D

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 10:28 AM, Live Like a Suicide said:

Currently sitting on 962 million views, SCOM is nearing the 1 billion mark on YouTube. This is not counting the alternative SCOM video uploaded to Guns N' Roses' account, which has 16 million views, or the topic video, which has 587,000 views. SCOM would be the second Guns N' Roses song to reach the benchmark.

How many bands artists have multiple videos over the 1BIO mark?

3 hours ago, NicoRourke said:

How many bands artists have multiple videos over the 1BIO mark?

Maroon 5, Gangnam Guy, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber...to name just a few. It's not an achievement and says absolutely nothing in an age where you can BUY online clicks if you have the money. Not saying GNR does that, just very telling the NR mark and now SCOM fall into the same time of YT takedowns. Coincidence?

Most people are just very naive when it comes to the music business. The most popular artists of today are not the best ones, they are the rich ones, the ones with the best contacts or the ones who are owed a favor by someone higher up. Talent is nothing these days, as the audience swallows everything nowdays by conditioning. You spoonfed something to them and they will eventually accept and even like it. Works for music, films, politics...everything.

SCOM is one of the best songs ever written, but the video? Come on...it's just a band playing their song and GNR had videos much nicer, more creative and visually appealing than this one, i.e. Don't Cry or Estranged.

If the artistic quality and value of the actual music and the video combined would be a factor, Michael Jackson would reign the Top 10 most clicked ever now and for all time. So far no one ever did better music videos than him. But he's not PC (regardless of him being aquitted all charges). GNR have earned a spot with the trilogy, but more like somewhere near the bottom of Top 40 music videos.

Edited by adamsapple
  • Like 1

None of those artists that you mentioned did the bulk of their work pre 2000 like guns did. When you look at it that way, GNR are in a league of their own. There was an article from a year or 2 ago when November rain hit the billion mark, it said that according to YouTube, GNR is the most popular 80’s and 90’s band by a mile. Meaning that sweet child was the most viewed video from the 80’s and November rain from the 90’s. Since the recent surge of bohemian rhapsody those numbers could’ve changed, but personally I still feel like it’s a big deal and a win for GNR 

• Like 1