26 years ago today- the end

Credit to Mitch Lafon for reminding us.  Who could have imagined that it was the end of GnR as we knew em.   What 23 years went by until any resemblance of GnR would return.  Such a depressing waste.     Crazy.   —- On This Day - July 17th 1993. The mighty Guns N’ Roses bring the Use Your Illusion’s touring cycle to an end with a show at River Plate Stadium in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It’s their last show with Matt Sorum & Gilby Clarke. Duff would return (as a guest) in 2010 & Slash in 2016

They definitely needed to go away for a while after all the UYI-era craziness/over-exposure. 1996-97 alongside Metallica would have been a great time to re-emerge though IMHO. Too bad the 95-96 rehearsals/jams, etc. (especially with Zakk) didn’t go better...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

They definitely needed to go away for a while after all the UYI-era craziness/over-exposure. 1996-97 alongside Metallica would have been a great time to re-emerge though IMHO. Too bad the 95-96 rehearsals/jams, etc. (especially with Zakk) didn’t go better...

Ill never understand axls thinking of potentially having zakk in the band. Also having tobias play SFTD over slashs guitar work.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Ill never understand axls thinking of potentially having zakk in the band. Also having tobias play SFTD over slashs guitar work.

I think Zakk was to push Slash- and to try to go for an even “bigger” sound as a response to grunge, Metallica, etc. Tobias meanwhile was probably a buffer/security blanket- as it was seemingly Axl v. Slash/Duff/Matt on most things by then...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Zakk is the only musician I can think that could be a replacement for Slash, so in my mind, had he joined, the band could have survived had Axl been willing to actually work.

Zakk is a fantastic writter, a versatile player and is extremely charismatic. 

Listen to his stuff outside BLS and you'll be probably blown away.

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, default_ said:

Zakk is the only musician I can think that could be a replacement for Slash, so in my mind, had he joined, the band could have survived had Axl been willing to actually work.

Zakk is a fantastic writter, a versatile player and is extremely charismatic. 

Listen to his stuff outside BLS and you'll be probably blown away.

With zakk who is a lead guitar player like slash said it would be like priest or thin lizzy.  I like zakks playing when he first joined ozzy and love the guitar solo in "fire in the sky"but his constant pinch harmonics give me the shits, and turn me off really quick. Of all ozzys guitarists i prefer jake e lee.

3 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

I'm learning to colorize old pictures. I'm not a pro... I'm just a beginner

RXvWU9x.jpg

Nice one. Wonder why axl tried to rip the photo off him?.

Edited by Sydney Fan

On 7/18/2019 at 6:26 AM, Sydney Fan said:

I think Axl was trying to improve what they had by attempting to replace Izzy with guitar players he believed in. Problem was you can't just get anyone to play with Slash, especially in Gn'R, no matter how talented they are or how much you like them. It doesn't work that way. Axl lost sight of what made the band great which was the musical balance between the musicians in the band and their chemistry as a unit. He didn't care that Slash didn't want another lead guitar player in Guns or that he hated Paul.

The other side of it is I kinda like that about Axl. He took the approach of actually first trying something before deciding if it's a good idea or not, not caring how crazy it might have seemed. Eventually it led to the formation of the 2002 line up and the creation of Chinese which I'm guessing reflected what he wanted to do musically very well. Choosing to keep both Bucket's and Robin's work proved, at least to me, that Axl understood what a Slash replacement had to have as a guitar player plus he kept Paul's ideas so in a way he was right about that too. Paul was in fact the songwriting partner he needed for his album.

Edited by Rovim