Patience cough bullshit

What's the origin of this? I know it got famous for the tokyo 92 dvd, until today I thought Axl only did it in tokyo and argentina 2014 (he also put his hand in the mouth and laughed in AFDemocracy) but I've seen he does it in Oklahoma 92 and a 2017 date too. For what I knew it had something to do with Izzy writing the song, but it looks like the joke itself has something to do with Duff, as he looks at him when he does it (and only does it when duff is onstage).

I always presumed it was a jibe at Izzy, that it's bullshit he left the band and went off and did his own thing..

But hearing that Axl also does this ad lib 'joke' in the 2000s makes me think it could be something else?

I guess if we knew the date of which concert it was first heard, that might give an indication as to the meaning... 

1 hour ago, Nice Boy said:

I always presumed it was a jibe at Izzy, that it's bullshit he left the band and went off and did his own thing..

But hearing that Axl also does this ad lib 'joke' in the 2000s makes me think it could be something else?

I guess if we knew the date of which concert it was first heard, that might give an indication as to the meaning... 

very far fetched for it to be aimed at izzy he would've just dedicated DTJM to him 

i remember this when the VHS came out and was intrigued what did he mean by it! hah

The way I took it was that it was an older song and he didn't feel the same about the person it was written for/about so he throws in a "guess that was bullshit" as a joke when singing it live.

On the Izzy thing.....didn't they write a lot of early songs together, sometimes about shared romantic experiences? It could be an inside joke about what Axl knows happened vs the lyrics. 

Edited by Modano09
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

He sings, "if I can't have you right now, I'll wait then.....cough.....bullshit".  It is cleary a joke made by Axl that he really ain't gonna wait, but he's feeding her the line she needs to get in the sheets.

In 92 he sings: I sit here on the stairs 'cause I'd rather be alone cough bullshit 

Edited by TheDemocracyRose

He did it 1991 too, in St. Louis (without the cough) and probably at other shows that I don't remember.

In St. Louis he said "bullshit", looked at Izzy and they both laughed. Like others said, it was obviously a joke among them about the lyrics.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, donny said:

how do you guys know so much about gigs that have not been officially released ? :lol:

Because they were unofficially released;) until someone tried to do like they never existed

Edited by fanfzero