Duff on Izzy Interviews - The Rolling Stone/Blabbermouth 18th July [New]

https://player.fm/series/rolling-stone-music-now-170040/duff-mckagan-the-rolling-stone-interview

Reads books... travels... the civil war... Anne Frank's house.... :D

Stones as setting the benchmark for older touring rock bands. 

Axl apparently busts his ass with the vocal warm-ups and cool-downs.

Lots of anecdotes about Tenderness recording, inspirations... #MeToo, Parkland.

He doubles down on the It's So Easy  as tounge-in-cheek... different cultural context than today (Sunset in the 80's as an empowered free love kind of thing?). A piss take on everything going the band's way when they were nobodies. 

One in a Million as a character story; leaving it off the box set. 

#WokeAxl

GNR as not right wing / left wing, political. Captain America's been torn apart...

Farts. 

Steve Jones as major inspiration.

Scott Weiland / Prince / Cornell as inspiration for Feel.

Depression struggles. 

Positive perspective gained from addiction experiences and close calls. "We're in extra innings."

Izzy! "I don't have a take.... it wasn't from not trying." "Touring is not for everybody." Host: "He said it came down to money." "Duff: Yeah. I don't even know. I love the guy." "Maybe some other time."

His reuniting with Axl anecdote in 2010. 

"Are you guys sort of hired guns of Axl's or in a band?" "We're in the band."

"New music would be wonderful."  "Doesn't feel like a finite thing."

"Nobody needs to know our business, we got into trouble in the past with that."

DUFF MCKAGAN On IZZY STRADLIN's Non-Involvement In GUNS N' ROSES Reunion: 'Maybe Some Other Time'

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-on-izzy-stradlins-non-involvement-in-guns-n-roses-reunion-maybe-some-other-time/?fbclid=IwAR3arDJ_0-b4ubARng8XhHPwudKLWlMkoW3XdF0GcZ09lQrhGZ9a-KmVgtw

I liked it better than the WTF interview; it felt a little more substantial as the host knows more about the band and it's history (is a fan too, I believe). Guarded as ever about the internal machinations but so it goes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

He didn't write than one though so we can let him off there :lol:

he could have sung "sister's aren't doing it for themselves" in stead

but he picked the classic by the misfits in stead. because it is shocking, and therefore, very much fun.

In 1992, duff still was a badass.

2019 duff, and with him the rest of the gunners, asshole to asshole couldn't make a beer fart in a whirlwind anymore

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, action said:

he could have sung "sister's aren't doing it for themselves" in stead

but he picked the classic by the misfits in stead. because it is shocking, and therefore, very much fun.

In 1992, duff still was a badass.

2019 duff, and with him the rest of the gunners, asshole to asshole couldn't make a beer fart in a whirlwind anymore

Heartbreak Ridge! :D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, action said:

this movie should be mandatory study material at high school. there is so much life whisdom and character in that movie, it's insane

Up to and including how to fuck up relationships with mad ginger women that assault you with six packs whilst on the verge of being seduced :lol:

11 minutes ago, Drexl said:

Duff "The King of Beers" McKagan - the ultimate villain for the GNR fanbase. He dethroned Axl.

People really need to hate someone.

You’re right. Its annoying.

I strongly believe that all this „hate“ for individual band members wouldn’t be there if there finally would be some new music the fans could focus on. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

You’re right. Its annoying.

I strongly believe that all this „hate“ for individual band members wouldn’t be there if there finally would be some new music the fans could focus on. 

Agreed. It doesn't help though that Duff is making a total ass of himself recently.

• Like 3

On Izzy:

"I don't have a take.... it wasn't from not trying." "Touring is not for everybody."

Host: "He said it came down to money."

"Duff: Yeah. I don't even know. I love the guy." "Maybe some other time."

:facepalm:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I think I'm starting to like Myles Kennedy more than Duff now.

I love Myles.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Agreed. It doesn't help though that Duff is making a total ass of himself recently.

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Exactly, stuff like that. Duff should just shut up.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious when he's outright lying. Better than that is Slash's response in one of his recent interviews where he said that he wasn't even going to say anything (about Izzy).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I love Myles.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious when he's outright lying. Better than that is Slash's response in one of his recent interviews where he said that he wasn't even going to say anything (about Izzy).

Yeah, Slash is way better with these questions. Plus, Duff being so dishonest and stupid doesn't go well with writing a book named "How to be a man" and the "Punk as fuck" stuff at all.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I think I'm starting to like Myles Kennedy more than Duff now.

Myles for rhythm guitarist!

And then they could add Sugar Cane  to the set... this feels like something huge...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I was coming to post something extremely similar. 

I would wager good money that one of the things that drew most GN'R fans to them in the first place was their "No BS" attitude. Good, bad or indifferent; GN'R was GN'R. So I can totally understand how so many fans are beyond irritated with Duff ridiculous attempt to double talk and BS people now regarding old GN'R lyrics and images.

As you said, he would be much better off just telling the truth. "Hey, we were young and dumb. We said and did young and dumb things. It is what it is".

I don't want to come off as if I'm defending Duff here, but I kinda see why he feels like he needs to make those claims about It's So Easy. Yes it's annoying, it looks pathetic to the old fans and I'd like him to quit it... but don't forget the PC climate we live in, where songs like Baby It's Cold Outside get banned by the radio. Their past lifestyles and a number of songs are an easy target for censure, and 'no BS' attitude just doesn't seem to appeal that much to the younger generations anymore.   

• Like 1

uhmm...didn't Slash say 15 years ago Duff is spineless?

he always said what he thought public wanted to hear, probably does the same with Axl.

Slash, obviously, doesn't agree with this line up, but has no support from Duff and is stranded there like an island.

Duff, on the other hand, doesn't want to endanger his $$$$ even if that means leaving out Iz/Matt/Adler and putting up with Frank.

Only hope is endless questions about Izzy, until they begin to feel fed up.

Edited by shotsfired cro
  • Like 1