Duff on Izzy Interviews - The Rolling Stone/Blabbermouth 18th July [New]

At this point I am thinking that Duff is just using GNR brand to promote his nonGNR stuff. Yes, he talks about all GNR topics but in the background you can hear echo "buy Tenderness". Like I am in this big band and we are touring and I am in the money but my heart is in other place. 

As for Izzy after his departure, I kind of have opinion that he was trying to be another Bob Dylan, you know. Like Me and Guitar on stage, standing and singing about deep shit in life. But Izzy due to his charisma or voice ability or something else never lifted his career to the full potentials. He never get worldwide recognition for his solo work. And I was just thinking maybe he wants to be involved in new GNR album or touring just to make a hype around his name once again and run into the well known safety of preforming solo.

honestly....

Guns N Roses was a band.

Everyone knows Adler was incapable of playing and Matt kicked ass. Izzy left on his own terms - Gilby comes and fits in.

Now I want to know why do we have to watch replacement of a replacement of a replacement of a replacement of a replacement on drums (who btw is by far the worst drummer of the band ever), instead of getting Gilby and Matt once it was clear Iz and Adler were out.

I would have been mega satisfied with 92-94 line up instead of this silly money grab.

Also, talking about Duff...Person he mostly hung out last 30 years was Matt, I doubt he ever mentioned his name despite the fact he hears Frank is unlistenable. Talking about spineless

• Like 2

12 hours ago, vikute91 said:

I don't want to come off as if I'm defending Duff here, but I kinda see why he feels like he needs to make those claims about It's So Easy. Yes it's annoying, it looks pathetic to the old fans and I'd like him to quit it... but don't forget the PC climate we live in, where songs like Baby It's Cold Outside get banned by the radio. Their past lifestyles and a number of songs are an easy target for censure, and 'no BS' attitude just doesn't seem to appeal that much to the younger generations anymore.   

That's the thing thought; just making up a lie about the lyrics doesn't absolve you of what it meant originally. 

Have you ever looked up the true origin of the lyrics for Baby It's Cold Outside? If not, you should. It doesn't mean what most people think it means. Having said that, there's just no two ways about what the ISE lyrics mean, whether Duff thinks we believe that or not. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It's at about 1:20:00 minute mark of this podcast. This guy met Slash with Antony Bozza backstage at a NITL show.

"And [Slash] is like, 'We talked about it, we love Izzy, but, let's just put it this way, Izzy wanted everything to be like it was back in 1987 and that just wasn't gonna happen, man. And so, we put a fair offer on the table [...] but it just didn't work out. But, who knows, maybe he'll come out for some of the shows. We'll see, we'd love that.'"

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense now. Izzy may have wanted to scale back the production and size of venues as well (just like 1987).

12 hours ago, djones1225 said:

I think Alan Niven said this (but since its Alan Niven take it with a grain of salt) he said the original 5 got together in either Houston or Nashville in 2016 at rehearsal space, and the band ran through the whole Appetite album + Civil War, You Could be Mine, Patience & Dont Cry, and Izzy would mostly stay close to Duff and didn't really get along with Steven Adler, while Melissa, Dizzy & 4tus got along more with Steven, and the next day at rehearsal Izzy never showed up

I think he was talking about a soundcheck, but I don't believe him. He said in 2016 that Izzy was in the studio working on GnR tracks but that wasn't true.

12 hours ago, axlsalinger said:

I feel like, if Izzy Stradlin had come in and said he wants to be an equal member again and play rhythm guitar at every show, run around the stage, work on writing songs, etc., and be a full member for a full tour, he would have been entitled to an equal share (this is assuming the shares are equal to begin with which is unlikely, Axl & Slash likely wanted and probably deserved more). 

At the end of the day it's impossible to really speculate because we have no idea how much the guys in the band make, how much Izzy wanted, or even how much he wanted to participate in the tour. If he wanted to show up whenever it was convenient for him, no. Not worth an equal share. But I'm sure he would have made a lot of cash either way.

Duff intimates in this interview (despite trying not to answer the question) that they worked really hard to find a solution that worked for izzy and the band, but it just didn't work out because of Izzy. Both Slash and Duff (and hell, even Axl in his 1 interview) have said this a few times, while also saying that they don't want to slag him because they love the guy.

I don't think it's fair to say they chose money over Izzy, we just don't have enough info to go on.

Yeah I agree.

5 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

would have been mega satisfied with 92-94 line up instead of this silly money grab.

Yeah same. It was nice in 2016 when the tour was starting but after that the novelty wore off and it would've been good to have Matt and Gilby back. Unfortunately I think that ship has sailed for both of them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, axlsalinger said:

I don't think it's fair to say they chose money over Izzy, we just don't have enough info to go on.

But isn't that exactly what they did? I understand why they did that, it's a lot of money and perhaps Axl didn't think Izzy deserved to be a partner but what other reason could it be, if you choose to believe Izzy when he said it fell apart precisely because of money. They chose not to pay him whatever amount he thought was fair.

• Like 1

Also: Izzy drove his point home even more with the release of FP Money. It's undeniable that Axl, Duff, and Slash's choice for not including Izzy was at least mainly based on money issues.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

But isn't that exactly what they did? I understand why they did that, it's a lot of money and perhaps Axl didn't think Izzy deserved to be a partner but what other reason could it be, if you choose to believe Izzy when he said it fell apart precisely because of money. They chose not to pay him whatever amount he thought was fair.

Could also be that they feel they can't trust him to actually show up and do the gigs. 

22 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Another thread that has been hijacked into discussing the most important GnR matter at hand, Mr. Izzy Stradlin' :lol:

Well Izzy was like the Malcolm Young in GNR, but it is pretty funny how most threads on here turn into something about Izzy

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Could also be that they feel they can't trust him to actually show up and do the gigs. 

That is what contracts are for

11 minutes ago, djones1225 said:

Well Izzy was like the Malcolm Young in GNR

great analogy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Could be sorted with a contract that conditions Izzy's pay with showing up plus they have Fortus as I believe Axl wanted Izzy in addition to Richard so an Izzy no show wouldn't fuck up the tour.

edit: @Tom-Ass already mentioned the contract thing.

Edited by Rovim

GUYS DUFF IS SPINELESS LIKE SLASH SAID 

In addition he is a liar. He knows exactly to the penny why Izzy isn't in the band. I know what Duff's character is. It's all about the bucks and he is the main reason why Izzy is not part of the reunion. The guy would not budge at all. Look at Matt not being in as well. The guy sides with Axl and takes lead and being the biggest low baller ball breaker. He says he loves these guys but its all about the bucks for him. Remember when he was pretending to be broke (yeah right) and wanted someone to buy him super bowl tickets. Ridiculous posturing = sell out 

As for the ISE shit. The guy really is digging himself a grave each time he tries to reposition that as if his Tenderness album is the new METOO movement in support of women he would subject to his  backward cat calling. Nothing wrong with the time. Just own it you DOUCHE. 

As others here have pointed out. Slash comes off the best when the questioning does come up. He chooses not to answer. That's much better than lying and throwing the guy under the bus. If they really cared about the music and I bet Slash wishes for the same - they'd get Matt back and Izzy. That 91 lineup is the best lineup bar none. Then they can charge what they want, but maybe Duff isn't comfortable speculating his cut. 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

I don't no why some of you get court up in this stuff, given its does not effect you or is it personally being directed at you. 

Don't take things personal. If you don't like Duffs opinions, that's all good. 

It seems you guys want band members to speak, but only what some of you want to hear. 

You people cannot control what Duff does or says, just like he cannot control what you post about him. 

The funny thing is, Duff won't be wasting his time on worrying about what a few people post on a fan forum. 

As you can see by his twitter account he is getting on with life. 

Duff would be laughing his arse off at some of you being so concerned about what he is saying. 

Have you not heard of the meaning, of having the last laugh.

Well an interesting thing that came out of the interview is that Duff knew the fan base were referring to Axl as “woke Axl”

that would suggest he’s well aware of what’s said on here! 

Did anyone else pick up on that during the interview?

Edited by Tadsy

3 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

GUYS DUFF IS SPINELESS LIKE SLASH SAID 

In addition he is a liar. He knows exactly to the penny why Izzy isn't in the band. I know what Duff's character is. It's all about the bucks and he is the main reason why Izzy is not part of the reunion. The guy would not budge at all. Look at Matt not being in as well. The guy sides with Axl and takes lead and being the biggest low baller ball breaker. He says he loves these guys but its all about the bucks for him. Remember when he was pretending to be broke (yeah right) and wanted someone to buy him super bowl tickets. Ridiculous posturing = sell out 

As for the ISE shit. The guy really is digging himself a grave each time he tries to reposition that as if his Tenderness album is the new METOO movement in support of women he would subject to his  backward cat calling. Nothing wrong with the time. Just own it you DOUCHE. 

As others here have pointed out. Slash comes off the best when the questioning does come up. He chooses not to answer. That's much better than lying and throwing the guy under the bus. If they really cared about the music and I bet Slash wishes for the same - they'd get Matt back and Izzy. That 91 lineup is the best lineup bar none. Then they can charge what they want, but maybe Duff isn't comfortable speculating his cut. 

If it were 100% up to Slash they would have Matt and Izzy back immediately, or Gilby if Izzy decided to flake out. I'm sure of that.

2 hours ago, Tadsy said:

Well an interesting thing that came out of the interview is that Duff knew the fan base were referring to Axl as “woke Axl”

that would suggest he’s well aware of what’s said on here! 

Did anyone else pick up on that during the interview?

He said that in the big long Yahoo interview too. People have been saying it Twitter not just here, which is where he probably saw it.

• Like 4

If it were up to Slash I think he'd still want 4tus, since he wanted him for his own band back in 2010 I think. For drummer wise I'm pretty sure Slash would want to have Steven back since there still really good friends, and Steven opened for SMKC a few months ago

I wonder if Izzy’s sobriety is part of not touring. He was in this notorious band, he was a junkie etc, I wonder if he wants to move on from those parts of his life? 

I wonder this only as a recovering alcoholic myself. I left the area and subsequently country where I did all my drinking. Not to avoid the past but to avoid the fuckers who only wanted to discuss my past exploits. Duuuuuuddddeeee do you remember the time...... When you have a reputation that’s all people see. Even after years and years of sobriety. 

Izzy would get this on a global scale if he was to tour, from the media and from the fans. He may find it easier to move on with life rather than discuss the same few years of it over and over. 

Ive thought this a lot but never posted due to my own reasons for wondering, but anyone else think this could be part of the reason he hasn’t done any solo tours over the last few years? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

I wonder if Izzy’s sobriety is part of not touring. He was in this notorious band, he was a junkie etc, I wonder if he wants to move on from those parts of his life? 

I wonder this only as a recovering alcoholic myself. I left the area and subsequently country where I did all my drinking. Not to avoid the past but to avoid the fuckers who only wanted to discuss my past exploits. Duuuuuuddddeeee do you remember the time...... When you have a reputation that’s all people see. Even after years and years of sobriety. 

Izzy would get this on a global scale if he was to tour, from the media and from the fans. He may find it easier to move on with life rather than discuss the same few years of it over and over. 

Ive thought this a lot but never posted due to my own reasons for wondering, but anyone else think this could be part of the reason he hasn’t done any solo tours over the last few years? 

I get what you mean but duff and slash are now sober so that should give izzy a degree of comfort. It was one of the reasons he left the band during the illusions tour.