Duff on Izzy Interviews - The Rolling Stone/Blabbermouth 18th July [New]

1).    I am from the 1980s, my college years.

I am the bands age group, 55.

life and time goes on and you grow and change 

I am interested in making the next 5 years of my career and then retire.

in just five  more years, I’ll really be well padded in my retirement plans.  This is what my age group talks of . My house is paid off.  

ok, my point here is it is not 1988 , the mid  to late 1980s anymore.

The band is not stuck in 1987 . They are not living like they were in 1985....hand to mouth, drugged, homeless.. 

I am not living in my college years , the 1980s.

I get Duffs outlook ( husband, father to 2 young adult girls, counting his millions and he and his wife are just trying to get as many millions as they can, etc). You cannot blame him for that.  I think it is funny some of you call him Puff. I get what some of you say about his honesty. I hink he is just wishy washy, self righteous , high and mighty entertainer like many . Example.  Duff and wife in their Wear Ink and not Mink pic.  Silly. Ridiculous. Hypocritical.  Jump on the bandwagon.  

2).  I lke Izzy wherever he is .

The guy said the money was not right and they did not want to spilt the loot equally.

Yes, Izzy probably wanted it to be like 1987.... in that they all 5 were a band and started this thing together and got paid equally. What should Izzy have done. Oh  tell Mr. Axll,  he will accept $10.00 an hour .lol. No we do not know who makes what. GnR is Mr.Axls company. This is business. Slash, a big persona, is probably the first highest paid  employee of Mr.Axl. Then Duff. Maybe Slash and Duff are paid equally, but not as much as Mr.Axl. Mr. Axls management runs  his company GnR, Team Brazil. 

All of Mr. Axls other employees are paid  accordingly and were handpicked by Mr. Axl.

Izzy said they did want to split the loot .

What of that does  anyone here  not understand .

Should he have accepted less than Duff, Slash, Axl for a band he founded with them? Should he be paid same as Melissa and Frank?

Fukc that shyt!

1/5. That is bull shyt about Izzy does not like  touring, etc. Maybe , just making an assumption here, the guy only wanted American dates , but to be paid 1/5.  Maybe he only wanted non American dates, but be paid 1/5. Maybe he wanted to do this tour 2016-2019-2020 , but wanted to be paid 1/5.

Really, 1/4 because Steven is not liked by Mr. Axel or DuffPuff.

I think and I know my thought  is not worth crap in your toilet, lol. Reunion should have been by Mr. Axl to include Izzy and Steven with  Duff and Slash ONLY , for some American dates of some of these touring years starting with the five members at The Troubadour, celebrity  test show.  Fans  of the 1980s can  only wish .

That is not.

What is, is Mr.Axl and the two employees , former band members  he likes are selling out shows, every show  going on 3 1/2 years now making hundreds of millions tour wide, record breaking highest money making tour up there with The Rolling Stones. GnR, they  have, are touring every continent and several countries  on every continent  and American cities a few times over. Mr. Axl and his staff , handpicked by him, plus his former band members, Slash, Duff, are happy. They each  3 will take in  tens of millions of dollars  several times over when the  the tour is finally over. Ticket sales, concessions,  parking , merch , ...who knows, HBO  or Shotime concert perhaps ( See Rush, Tim and Faith, Jeff Lynne)

3).  Izzy is happy somewhere in he world with his family ,  friends loving and living his life.

Poor Steven, lol, is clean and sober  , happy and in his fantasy performing  AFD songs  with some musicians. 

I wish the guy the best.

I really wish he could move on from GnR , the 1980s. Retire. Be a studio musician. Be a tv show band musician.

GnR has been something of the past  for him. They threw him a few shows, pity sake really..

I am surprised Mr.Axl never stopped him from being a GnR cover band.

I wish the guy well though.

You cheer , I believe anyway, for the underdog and don’t knock someone who lost so much health, time, etc.

Edited by Latx
Typos

On 25/06/2019 at 9:37 PM, The Holographic Universe said:

Axl said something similar about not knowing ultimately why Izzy didn’t want to be apart of the reunion. He said Izzy would say one thing then change the next day. It sounds like a full AFD5 reunion was initially proposed and Izzy wasn’t up for it. Izzy doesn’t want to be apart of a huge band and the demands necessary to perform at that level. His history proves that much. Everybody here always say Axl or Slash should do this or that for the fans, well maybe Izzy should have accepted his role “for the fans”. Izzy didn’t want to be there and his demand for equal loot was his passive aggressive way out of taking on the responsibility. 

I think it's more than money, though, I think it's self-worth. I don't think Izzy feels valued by the band. 

We don't know if the original idea was to have the AFD line-up, and if it was, what were the conversations like? Was Izzy even involved in those initial discussions? 

can you guys please stop with this stuff 'Iz wanted it to be like 1987.  Iz didn't want to be in a big touring band'...

I mean for fuck sake... Izzy SAID 'THEY DIDN'T WANT TO SPLIT THE LOOT EQUALLY'!

If he wanted to be in 1987 or did not want to be in a big touring band he would have said 'I am ok with small share', 'I am not interested in being in a touring band'.  MAN!

it is ok to misread between the lines, but not to be able to read what is straight there...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

can you guys please stop with this stuff 'Iz wanted it to be like 1987.  Iz didn't want to be in a big touring band'...

If he wanted to be in 1987 or did not want to be in a big touring band he would have said 'I am ok with small share', 'I am not interested in being in a touring band'.  MAN!

it is ok to misread between the lines, but not to be able to read what is straight there...

THANK YOU !

The guy said this . Where in the world is he happy with his life and his decision, fans don’t know, but HE DUD SAY THEY DUD NOT WANT TO SPLIT THE LOOT EQUALLY. What part of this simple sentence we don’t understand, lol.

I agree we can speculate maybe he wasn’t feeling equal. Well, not wanting to split the loot equally is not being equal, an equal MAN in his  1/5 band  that he 1/5 founded , 1/5 wrote and 1/5 played on during their peak years of the 1980s.

I over exaggerate. So what, was he suppose to accept Mr.Axls offer followed by his number one staff, CEO Slash,  Secretary -Receptionist Duff, and CFO of Beta Team Brazil,  be paid staff wages like Melissa and Frank , lol.

THEY DID NOT WANT TO SPLIT THE LOOT EQUALLY.

Knowing what we knew from 29-30 years, Mr.Axl wanted then to demote Izzy , wtf.

The guy said then and now fukc that shyt. Good for him.

In my mind , fantasy mind , a reunion would have been cool to have all 5 band members for some key shows every year.  Just for AFD full cd. and the rest of Mr.Axls  staff for playing everything else in their stadiums.

I won’t be posting much. Just feeling nostalgic lately here for the 1980s, my college years. 

Just reinterested in the band since their mammoth hundreds of million dollar tour is in he news. I am of the bands age and just started playing AFD again while at the gym.  Off to the gym

• Like 1

We're doing Izzy again?

Alright.

I don't think what GNR is currently doing - indefinite world touring for years - is something Izzy would be down for. I could see him signing up for legs at a time but I highly doubt he'd sign up to be available to tour the world indefinitely. 

But all we know from his side is that he wouldn't do it because they wouldn't give him equal money to him and he wasn't entitled to or deserving of it anyway. It's also not realistic, or fair, Axl/Slash/Duff to expect them to give Izzy money he's not entitled to just because he wants it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Modano09 said:

We're doing Izzy again?

Alright.

I don't think what GNR is currently doing - indefinite world touring for years - is something Izzy would be down for. I could see him signing up for legs at a time but I highly doubt he'd sign up to be available to tour the world indefinitely. 

But all we know from his side is that he wouldn't do it because they wouldn't give him equal money to him and he wasn't entitled to or deserving of it anyway. It's also not realistic, or fair, Axl/Slash/Duff to expect them to give Izzy money he's not entitled to just because he wants it. 

But who decides what Izzy is entitled to and based on what? his contribution to the band? his time with the band? how do you measure his importance?

What Gn'R is currently doing is the logical thing financially speaking, with Slash confirming they're gonna do another album at some point, Duff saying things are going great and he thinks it will happen, and Axl saying they first need to finish with the tour before entering a studio I presume without making Izzy a partner as they don't need him to attract huge crowds.

This is one of the most lucrative tours ever and they're making a lot of money. This doesn't mean it will last forever. Personally I would have loved to see Izzy up there on stage with the band, at any capacity. We don't know the specific reasons of why they've failed to reach an agreement.

This is pure speculation but I choose to believe Izzy when he says they did not want to split the loot equally. It is my guess Axl didn't think Izzy was needed or crucial for this tour to be a success and wanted Izzy to do some shows with Guns but not to make him an equal partner. He seems very satisfied with Fortus so why make Izzy a partner when in Axl's mind (again just a guess) Izzy left years ago and Richard has been in the band for more than 16 years now? he is reliable and on a salary and everyone is getting along fine.

Personally I think, without really knowing anything concrete other than not wanting to share the loot equally with Izzy, that at the very least it was a missed opportunity as Izzy was a founding member and a huge part of what made the music of this band so special. when we'll look back on it 20 years from now I think some of us will feel that money was not good enough of a reason for not including him live, not to mention what I believe he can still bring to the studio.

The current incarnation of Gn'R continues to be more of an Axl thing. It's Axl's band with Slash n' Duff in it. I'll take it, but it could have been much more imo. They're missing a very important element and Izzy said the only reason that led to him not being a part of it was money which is disappointing especially when you consider the many praises Duff showered on him when they collaborated not long before the reunion was on. Duff seemed to really value the musical chemistry he and Izzy still share. Slash said that as a guitar player, the most interesting he sounded musically was with Izzy. That was said in an interview not long ago.

It's easy to talk about ideals and to say whatever you want to say when there is nothing there to risk or a position to lose.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

But who decides what Izzy is entitled to and based on what? his contribution to the band? his time with the band? how do you measure his importance?

I base it on two things.

1) Izzy sold his share of the band when he quit. He's not part of the Axl/Slash/Duff partnership and was already paid, I assume, a large sum of money in exchange for this arrangement.

2) Because of this arrangement, Izzy had nothing to do with GNR business while Axl/Slash/Duff spent decades in and out of court, managing the brand, often times fighting with each other over it. On principal alone I don't think Izzy should be able to waltz back in and get an equal cut of money Axl/Slash/Duff worked to make happen. 

• Like 3

@Demi-God           and.           @Legend

both have good points. Truth hurts, but both true posts.

If The Izzy would have wanted some legs of the tour, American leg each year , let’s say, short , it was about being in equal partner, splitting the loot in a band. His 1/5 that he founded.

Mr. Axl and his staff, Slash, Duff,  said no.

Izzy would be most deserving of being an equal partner, splitting the loot .

Also, in equal partner, 1/4 opinion , voice, etc.

Fact, this is business. This is Mr.Axls company and it is worth hundreds of millions of dollars on this world wide, record breaking in hundreds of millions of dollars, length, no to limited pr , I think 3 and a half year tour now  and counting , looking like 2020.....maybe 2021.

Izzy said they did not want to split the loot . What word here do we not understand, lol.?

Truth in both your posts.

Who is Izzy?

Generally speaking here.....

people do not know who that is. He is not a known name, character,  face etc.

Guitar player. Mr. Axl can hire  anyone to do that and he did. Decades ago. Only  about 27 years ago

Steven, same thing. 

Really, Duff too  is not a known name or face or character is just a base player , replaceable, not important, not a crowd draw.

Duff is in Mr.Axls favor and grace and Duff is known and liked by  Slash. Who knows, lol,  if Duff is an equal, 1/3 , partner? He will take what he is given, told, etc., and be a good little boy.

Slash is a character, known face, personality. No Slash, then no GnR. 

Mr. Axl , who owns this thing, is a personality, known face, etc.

For the past 25 to 30 years, comics on tv, night animated shows, rag tabloids, etc. have had Mr. Axl and Slash. 

In the 1990s, other entertainers ( Micheal Jackson  for one, lol)  need a guitar player. Get Slash.

Generally speaking, many of GnR fans were not even born prior to 1990.

The in thing  is now to wear vintage looking tee- shirts of 80s rock bands, ESPECIALLY  it seems to me, Def Leppard , Motely Crue, and GnR.

For us older fans, GnR age group, I wish Mr.Axl and Izzy had showed up at RnRHofFame. Just the five of them together on stage for 1-2 songs.

Reality , you will never see here 5 guys on stage together again. 

Too bad because 30-35 years was a lifetime ago. All men are multimillionaires and have their own business interests of music and non musical things.

All men are alive, lol, and living like  they could not even imagine 30-35 years ago. Too bad the 5 will never be together  because each man is close to 60 than 25, lol. They are Middle Aged . AARP  Assc. of Retired  People ready for membership. 

They are grown adults. If what Duff said about Steven not ever joining them again,  that was low.  Fire him again in a way.

Izzy is a happy multimillionaire somewhere in the world.

Ole Steven might have the last laugh. He is out playing GnR songs in a cover band, happy, to smaller, happy audiences.

Who knows, lol, he might end up the last man standing.

50 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I base it on two things.

1) Izzy sold his share of the band when he quit. He's not part of the Axl/Slash/Duff partnership and was already paid, I assume, a large sum of money in exchange for this arrangement.

2) Because of this arrangement, Izzy had nothing to do with GNR business while Axl/Slash/Duff spent decades in and out of court, managing the brand, often times fighting with each other over it. On principal alone I don't think Izzy should be able to waltz back in and get an equal cut of money Axl/Slash/Duff worked to make happen. 

I did not know that.

i thought the story was he left and that was that and did not sign. I thought the story was MrAx made Duff and Slash sign.

My opinion which is not worth crap in your toilet, I know that....from what I have seen, heard.

If this is the case, oh well. That makes things different. Again, reality check, these three guys A,S,D, don’t like Steven. Izzy is odd man out and is not really friends  with any of them.

Money is most impt to Mr.Axl, Duff , Slash AND there is nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Latx

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

I base it on two things.

yeah, it's not 1987 anymore. After Izzy left (had very good reasons to do so imo) they've barely skipped a beat as a touring band with Matt and Gilby. It was different but mostly no one cared. They worked hard and the value of the brand got increased and they've kept the band alive. (sort of)

Thing is, despite of the fact that Izzy sold his share and Axl would go on to form new Guns, after Izzy left it was never the same. Axl, Slash, and Duff didn't release any original material together to this day. They've lost arguably the best songwriter in the band. The man who wrote Patience in 5 minutes (allegedly) All of them released their own music and Izzy's style of writing is missing both on Chinese Democracy and Slash's solo output. I mostly like what they've released but it's obvious it would have been much better with a healthy amount of Izzy's material.

I think he still got it in the same way Slash can still come up with cool riffs and solos and Axl hasn't lost his fire. More importantly, the value I think you're not seeing is when...

you combine Izzy's talents with what Axl, Slash, and Duff can do. (and ideally, Steven's drumming style) This is a band that is bigger than the sum of it's parts. Always was. That's why they should have given him an equal share. Another reason is how Slash and Izzy's guitar sound together. There was a chance for that to happen. To get that interplay live and in the studio. We got Axl n' Izzy/Axl, Slash, and Duff. Never Slash and Izzy with Axl singing.

And you know... it's half a billion. There is enough money but I suppose it's a silly argument to make cause you could say the three of them or Axl or whatever didn't make him a partner cause it's half a billion. Still... artistically it would have made a big difference I think and it would have been crazy epic even if we keep it realistic: Axl could have kept all of the current members of the band, keeping Fortus but making it a 3 guitars thing again (like on Appetite and old new Guns)

Could have payed Izzy, still making a ton of money while also making any potential Guns album way better. At least imo. Both Slash and Duff admitted they don't share that kind of musical chemistry with anyone else in the world and yet Izzy is not a part of it. I guess for them the art is not the only thing that dictates their actions and Axl doesn't think the price is right.

Edited by Rovim

20 minutes ago, Latx said:

I did not know that.

i thought the story was he left and that was that and did not sign. I thought the story was MrAx made Duff and Slash sign.

My opinion which is not worth crap in your toilet, I know that....from what I have seen, heard.

If this is the case, oh well. That makes things different. Again, reality check, these three guys A,S,D, don’t like Steven. Izzy is odd man out and is not really friends  with any of them.

Money is most impt to Mr.Axl, Duff , Slash AND there is nothing wrong with that.

From what I recall, when they kicked Alder out, it was pretty messy legally so after that was settled they came up with an agreement where anyone leaving the band could sell their share to the remaining band members.  Izzy did that. 

Slash and Duff signed whatever it was to allow Axl to continue on as GNR without them but when they exited the band they didn't exit the partnership. That's why Axl needed their permission for certain things, why certain logos disappeared, why they would occasionally be involved in lawsuits with and against each other, etc. 

To me, it just feels like Izzy made a short sighted decision - and maybe one he didn't realize he had an alternative too - and kinda wants them to ignore that and just go with a simple "equal loot" for all arrangement. And I can see why those 3 aren't down with that. 

To me, it just feels like Izzy made a short sighted decision - and maybe one he didn't realize he had an alternative too - and kinda wants them to ignore that and just go with a simple "equal loot" for all arrangement. And I can see why those 3 aren't down with that. 

alternatively, I can see why Izzy wasn't down with getting just a salary like an employee considering everything he did for the band. If what you give is what you get, he should have gotten equal partner status imo based on what he contributed when he was in the band. It was beyond what anyone else could have brought to this particular band in his position, creatively and financially and they have built their fortunes on the foundation mainly Izzy laid.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

alternatively, I can see why Izzy wasn't down with getting just a salary like an employee considering everything he did for the band. If what you give is what you get, he should have gotten equal partner status imo based on what he contributed when he was in the band. It was beyond what anyone else could have brought to this particular band in his position, creatively and financially and they have built their fortunes on the foundation mainly Izzy laid.

Without knowing numbers, I think he probably deserves a better per show/per leg salary than Fortus or whatever but he sold off his equal partner status and showed no interest in desire in regaining it. He didn't want to be an equal partner he just wanted to be paid like one.

From what I recall, when they kicked Alder out, it was pretty messy legally so after that was settled they came up with an agreement where anyone leaving the band could sell their share to the remaining band members.  Izzy did that. 

Slash and Duff signed whatever it was to allow Axl to continue on as GNR without them but when they exited the band they didn't exit the partnership. That's why Axl needed their permission for certain things, why certain logos disappeared, why they would occasionally be involved in lawsuits with and against each other, etc. 

The question is was Izzy legally obligated to sell his share of the partnership to exit the band or did he have the option of retaining his shares and leaving a la Duff/Slash. My impression was that it was the former - he had no choice. If he had the option to keep his share but opted out anyway, I think your point has merit that he's not entitled to an equal slice of the pie. We don't really know under what conditions he was bought out of the partnership. Izzy was being advised by Alan Niven during his exit from GnR and I can't imagine Alan would have told him to sell off his shares in the (then) biggest band on the planet. @Blackstar 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RONIN said:

The question is was Izzy legally obligated to sell his share of the partnership to exit the band or did he have the option of retaining his shares and leaving a la Duff/Slash. My impression was that it was the former - he had no choice. If he had the option to keep his share but opted out anyway, I think your point has merit that he's not entitled to an equal slice of the pie. We don't really know under what conditions he was bought out of the partnership. Izzy was being advised by Alan Niven during his exit from GnR and I can't imagine Alan would have told him to sell off his shares in the (then) biggest band on the planet. @Blackstar 

Slash and Duff both quit the band without selling their share of the partnership and Izzy's mindset at the time seemed to be to not have anything to do with GNR. Makes sense he'd take the money and be on his way. 

1 minute ago, Modano09 said:

Without knowing numbers, I think he probably deserves a better per show/per leg salary than Fortus or whatever but he sold off his equal partner status and showed no interest in desire in regaining it. He didn't want to be an equal partner he just wanted to be paid like one.

How exactly would he regain his shares when old GnR was functionally dead from '96-2015 and the partners were not even on speaking terms for 2 decades? You don't even know if he had interest in coming back - as far as we know, he tried to come back in '95 and there's a Marc Canter quote that speculated (perhaps incorrectly) that Izzy was supposed to be present at the Fall 96' sessions with Slash. 

2 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Slash and Duff both quit the band without selling their share of the partnership and Izzy's mindset at the time seemed to be to not have anything to do with GNR. Makes sense he'd take the money and be on his way. 

Izzy was very concerned about GnR's finances - it doesn't make fiscal sense to dump your shares of a brand that is exploding upwards - he got out right before the release of UYI, one of the most anticipated albums of its day. The only logical explanation I can think of for voluntarily relinquishing his shares would be if he thought the band was going to be bankrupted by their myriad lawsuits. It would make sense on that note to remove any legal ties to the band.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

There is no way to know. It could be either. The partnership agreements before 1992 were never made public and there's no information alluding to them (especially the amendment between Steven's departure and the 1992 agreement).

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

Izzy was very concerned about GnR's finances - it doesn't make fiscal sense to dump your shares of a brand that is exploding upwards - he got out right before the release of UYI, one of the most anticipated albums of its day. The only logical explanation I can think of for voluntarily relinquishing his shares would be if he thought the band was going to be bankrupted by their myriad lawsuits. It would make sense on that note to remove any legal ties to the band.

I think this is a very plausible explanation - although, like I said, we can't possibly know if he had no choice but sell his share anyway.

Despite of what the 1992 partnership contract says, Izzy resigned officially in November 1991, after the release of the Illusions. 

The buyout was likely settled (or at least discussed) at a meeting between Izzy and Slash in mid-July 1992 (Axl was in St. Louis on that day, after he had been arrested).

Slash [Rockline, July 13, 1992]I’m gonna talk to [Izzy] tomorrow about some of the so-called logistics having to do with the situation that we’re dealing with, so we’ll take it from there. 

Slash [MTV, July 20, 1992]:  [...] I saw [Izzy] for the first time here in New York. We met in a neutral place, a neutral hotel. And it was great, because there’s so much red tape and so much politics involved, that you don’t communicate at all as people. You go through, you know, management calls so and so and so and so, calls the accountants, messages go back and forth. Everything snowballs and you get to a point where it’s so out of hand, this whole split.  [...] And we talked about how we want to make this a clean break without going to court, without having to make it, you know, insanely public and bicker back and forth in the press; which is really easy, because attorneys can send out letters and they print them in the press, and then we, you know, the band or the members of the band, see it and go, “How can he say that?” and it’s really not what came out of his mouth. And that builds up after a while and then you tend to misjudge somebody altogether. I mean, as long as he’s happy it’s cool, as long as we have an amicable split on the technical side, then everything will be fine. [...] We had a great time. We, sort of like, took all the fax papers, sort of put it aside, and just talked amongst each other. You know, and then there was that point where it’s like, okay, we need to bring the subjects up again and make notes and so on.

Coincidentally, a few days before, GnR was sued by Lloyd's of London for the cancelled shows. The cancellations occurred after Izzy had resigned, but if Izzy still held a share in the business entities that were sued, he would be affected too. And more St. Louis lawsuits kept coming after Izzy left.

I wouldn't even put past Niven that he advised Izzy to sell, as he had preferred a "clean"/one-off settlement for himself, too.

20 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

Sometimes people like their own fan fiction better. 

Izzy may have said "I will only do gigs with you guys occasionally, as a guest, but I think I deserve the same share," to which they may have said no (rightly enough), and thus the comment. 

Like I said before, Izzy surely wouldn’t want to tour the world and also play ChinDem songs, ergo this must have been just an occasional gig offer. 

But given the amount of time and energy invested by the three, I understand that they wouldn’t want to "split the loot equally" in this particular case. 

In any case, we don’t know shit for sure. It’s all about assumptions. 

• Like 1

Yep we don't know the full story...maybe Izzy wanted an equal split because of his writing during the original & classic era of the band, he's played like a dozen gigs in Guns since he departed almost thirty years ago so its understandable for how things went down, although if he fully committed to the NITL tour he may have got more and got a nice cheque each show. I'd love Guns to release just as many songs in the next few years as they did during the original & classic eras of the band, they are all financially secure...I think Izzy could contribute massively to the writing process like he did in the 'Project' days, think if he put some effort in and put it as one of his top priorities and put the avocado farming on hold for a little while... it could work out great.