Duff on Izzy Interviews - The Rolling Stone/Blabbermouth 18th July [New]

Seriously people...

We don't have much info laid out in front of us of what really happend, but we do have some facts that are undeniable.

Now do we really have to to deal with 'izzy probably thinks', 'Axl probably thinks'!?!?

Iz said he wanted to be in the band, they (for a millionth time) 'didn't want to share to loot'. Is that something that has to be doubted!? Did 'they' ever deny this? No.

Also...Someone said 'Izzy doesn't deserve Duff's share'!?  I am mean REALLY!?  WTF!?

Go read the credits in the linear notes, then come back.

And on the sidenote...I had never been a fan of Izzy's solo stuff.  Actually, I thought Gilby solo stuff was the best after Slash stuff.

If you think Duff deserves bigger cut, go and listen to Axl's solo record and say you didn't feel Izzy needs a bigger cut than Duff.

Once and for all...Is Izzy necesarry for them touring NITL 2035? Probably not.  Will we ever get another record that will reach the hights of UYI and AFD w/o Izzy and with Frank on drums?   Hell no.  There you go.

@Senior. @Legend. @Junior @ Demi-God @Modano09

and others, THANKS FOR THE INSIGHTFUL, new/old/new again info and opinions. Good vibe herevin posts , except for one person who had a negative post, swipe at somebody.

No. We none have the legal papers between us.

Yes, we are trying to piece what’s, ifs, why’s. If is a mb and ok to do so. To discuss.

I was reading the other thread here, the 431 page and only read around the 140-157 page section.

Izzy- resides in CA, IN,  had his JuJu Hounds band,  no mngt.  is not active on Twitter or intsgram, rarely gives interviews,  grows avocados as hobby or legit farmer , lol,   got divorced so that set him back, even with prenup, a few 7 figures, has a lady and stepdaughter( her daughter). He is really private and maybe is he one person Mr.Axl will forgive or let slide on things.

It seems the guy is just somewhere happy living and loving life.......we are sure. The fame thing , maybe is just not for him again. He went through that.  Fortune without the fame is a good thing.

His JuJuHounds , Shuffle It All, was good. Maybe it was not what thought for of him or your taste. Be objective. It was timely  for the mid 1990s to mid 2000s. Say 1995-2005. Being objective, it could have  charted on Alternative Radio HAD he had it promoted . Had he promoted it. You had VH1 during the 1990s up to about 2003. There were groups he and band could have opened for : The GooGooDolls, Matchbox20,  Jewel, The Wallflowers, etc. He was of the same age group as some of these  guys. 

I needed to make two different post.

You all are diehard fans.

I am just a fan  of AFD, UYIs, , on a nostalgic trip these days , listening to music of the 1980s,.

What to listen to?

FM Radio, which I think is obsolete , is for  20 something’s and teens. You have manufactured artists. There is Classic Rock and Country. My major U.S. city’s  ( I live in Houston and New Orleans) R&B station is iffy. It depends on when you turn it on. I like R&B.

I use Pandora  most often while in the car  especially on long drives.

Things brings to my opinion for you diehard fans .

IMHO, for old fans of the 1980s, GnR age group, you won’t see in this lifetime  Adler,McKagen,Rose,Slash,Strandlin on stage , all 5 members together ever. 

For new music, I doubt McKagen,Rose,Slash will do that.

There's no market.

Yeah, the diehard fans will buy it on Spotify or iTunes.

No radio play.  No video tv play. 

My opinin, no real , big money there for the three of them.

This tour will end  at some point in 2020 . They might extend it to 2021. Going fir the record and each man, A,D,S earning tens of millions, maybe each reaching over a hundred in individual pay, is their goal AND I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH  IT. Go for it. 

I wish for older fans , all 5 guys had shows up at RnR HofF.

On 6/29/2019 at 7:54 PM, Rovim said:

yeah, it's not 1987 anymore. After Izzy left (had very good reasons to do so imo) they've barely skipped a beat as a touring band with Matt and Gilby. It was different but mostly no one cared. They worked hard and the value of the brand got increased and they've kept the band alive. (sort of)

Thing is, despite of the fact that Izzy sold his share and Axl would go on to form new Guns, after Izzy left it was never the same. Axl, Slash, and Duff didn't release any original material together to this day. They've lost arguably the best songwriter in the band. The man who wrote Patience in 5 minutes (allegedly) All of them released their own music and Izzy's style of writing is missing both on Chinese Democracy and Slash's solo output. I mostly like what they've released but it's obvious it would have been much better with a healthy amount of Izzy's material.

I think he still got it in the same way Slash can still come up with cool riffs and solos and Axl hasn't lost his fire. More importantly, the value I think you're not seeing is when...

you combine Izzy's talents with what Axl, Slash, and Duff can do. (and ideally, Steven's drumming style) This is a band that is bigger than the sum of it's parts. Always was. That's why they should have given him an equal share. Another reason is how Slash and Izzy's guitar sound together. There was a chance for that to happen. To get that interplay live and in the studio. We got Axl n' Izzy/Axl, Slash, and Duff. Never Slash and Izzy with Axl singing.

And you know... it's half a billion. There is enough money but I suppose it's a silly argument to make cause you could say the three of them or Axl or whatever didn't make him a partner cause it's half a billion. Still... artistically it would have made a big difference I think and it would have been crazy epic even if we keep it realistic: Axl could have kept all of the current members of the band, keeping Fortus but making it a 3 guitars thing again (like on Appetite and old new Guns)

Could have payed Izzy, still making a ton of money while also making any potential Guns album way better. At least imo. Both Slash and Duff admitted they don't share that kind of musical chemistry with anyone else in the world and yet Izzy is not a part of it. I guess for them the art is not the only thing that dictates their actions and Axl doesn't think the price is right.

Just for laughs.

Adler and his GnR cover band migh have the last laugh.

He owns none of it, or whatever.

I guess Axman and the othe 2 could shut his act down. That would be the ultimate cruelest thing to do.

4 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

Seriously people...

We don't have much info laid out in front of us of what really happend, but we do have some facts that are undeniable.

Now do we really have to to deal with 'izzy probably thinks', 'Axl probably thinks'!?!?

Iz said he wanted to be in the band, they (for a millionth time) 'didn't want to share to loot'. Is that something that has to be doubted!? Did 'they' ever deny this? No.

Also...Someone said 'Izzy doesn't deserve Duff's share'!?  I am mean REALLY!?  WTF!?

Go read the credits in the linear notes, then come back.

And on the sidenote...I had never been a fan of Izzy's solo stuff.  Actually, I thought Gilby solo stuff was the best after Slash stuff.

If you think Duff deserves bigger cut, go and listen to Axl's solo record and say you didn't feel Izzy needs a bigger cut than Duff.

Once and for all...Is Izzy necesarry for them touring NITL 2035? Probably not.  Will we ever get another record that will reach the hights of UYI and AFD w/o Izzy and with Frank on drums?   Hell no.  There you go.

I always felt an AFD reunion would happen as one last pay day and hurrah, when axl is ready to retire the GNR name. I personally think axl cant or doesnt want to be friends with steven still because of the court case in 1990 and signing away his publishing royalties as a way of trying to keep steven in the band. 

• 3 weeks later...

DUFF MCKAGAN On IZZY STRADLIN's Non-Involvement In GUNS N' ROSES Reunion: 'Maybe Some Other Time'
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-on-izzy-stradlins-non-involvement-in-guns-n-roses-reunion-maybe-some-other-time/

GUNS N' ROSES bassist Duff McKagan says that he and Slash worked "hard" on trying to get Izzy Stradlin involved with the band's reunion tour.

While GUNS N' ROSES' "Not In This Lifetime" trek features the "classic era" lineup of McKagan, Slash and singer Axl Rose — with the occasional guest appearance by drummer Steven Adler — Stradlin has not taken part in any shows on the tour, with unconfirmed reports claiming that he turned down a five-figure fee to play with GUNS N' ROSES at the April 2016 reunion shows.

Now, in a new interview in the "Rolling Stone Music Now" podcast, McKagan has offered more information on the circumstances that led to Izzy's absence from the trek.

According to Duff, Izzy's decision to sit out the tour "wasn't from us not trying, for sure. I don't know if have a take beyond that," he said. "I know what we tried to do and how hard we worked at that.

"Touring in a big rock band is not for everybody," he continued. "That's my take on that. It's a thing — this is a thing."

Asked about Stradlin's claim that he stepped away from the reunion because the band didn't want to "split the loot equally," McKagan said: "I don't even know. At the end of the day, we just couldn't figure it out."

Duff went on to address Izzy's history of "coming and going" from various projects, including a brief stint with Duff and Slash's post GN'R band VELVET REVOLVER.

"There's a lot of coming and going, so this was one more chapter of that coming and going," Duff said in reference to Izzy pulling out of "Not In This Lifetime".

"I don't wanna say anything that's untoward, because I love the guy," the bassist continued. "Slash and I are sober guys, and we went at it with a solution-based [attitude], like, 'Let's make this work.' But it just didn't. And who knows? Maybe some other time."

Asked whether he thinks the GUNS N' ROSES reunion is finite, Duff said: "I don't have that feeling at all, [that] it's a finite thing.

"Because we've done no press yet, nobody knows," he continued. "And I kind of dig it, to be honest with you. I'm not trying to keep you in the dark. I don't dig the feeling of keeping you in the dark, but it's kind of nice. It's a thing where nobody needs to know our business. I think that's… We got into trouble a long time ago, where people knew all of our business… So we talk about things to each other now — something that maybe we never did before."

Last year, Izzy blamed his non-involvement with the GUNS N' ROSES reunion tour on the fact that he and the other guys in the band were unable "to reach a happy middle ground through the negotiation process."

Rose told Brazil's Globo TV in a 2016 interview that wasn't optimistic about Stradlin rejoining his former bandmates. "I don't really know what to say about Izzy," Axl said. "It's like you could have a conversation and think it's one way and the next day it's another way. And I'm not trying to take any shots at Izzy. It's just his thing is kind of his thing, whatever that is."

Stradlin, whose real name is Jeffrey Isbell, was born and grew up in Lafayette, Indiana, where he was high school friends and bandmates with singer William Bailey — later known as Axl Rose.

His first and only post-GUNS band, IZZY STRADLIN & THE JU JU HOUNDS, broke up in 1993 after recording one LP. He has since released 10 more solo albums between 1998 and 2010.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, there is nothing there that actually sheds light on what actually happened other than "it didn't work out" lol.  I selfishly wish they would just do a big interview that goes into the nitty gritty of everything.  Like his comments sound just vaugue enough to where I don't feel comfortable assuming any sort of thing regarding what actually happened.  If the plan is to keep us in the dark, why throw carrots like this at us that only make us wonder even more what actually happened?

I know this will end up being just like the other Izzy thread where Izzy fans say the Big 3 are wrong and the other side saying Izzy was in the wrong, regardless of the fact we don't know anything though so I suppose that is just inevitable and I wanted to beat that whole thing here :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

I selfishly wish they would just do a big interview that goes into the nitty gritty of everything.  Like his comments sound just vaugue enough to where I don't feel comfortable assuming any sort of thing regarding what actually happened.  If the plan is to keep us in the dark, why throw carrots like this at us that only make us wonder even more what actually happened?

It happened 30 years ago though, Imagine for a second, having a whole life, and accomplishments, but constantly being asked about why you broke up with your high school sweet heart, Isabella.  I mean sure, it was 30 years ago, and sure you have kids and grandkids with your current wife who is the love of your life, BUT you and Isabella were prom king and queen!  I don't mean to take away from Izzy, I'm actually an Izzy mark.  I own all of his albums and I love his music.  I also am hoping beyond hope he somehow is involved with the writing of a new album.  At the same time, from Duff's perspective, WTF?  Izzy really is a tiny blip in Duff's history.  Duff has an entire, and sizable career sans Izzy.  WTF can he possible say at this point?  It might have been a big deal to him like when it happened, but honestly, even then, the band just moved right to Gilby.  It's not like Izzy leaving was at the core of the breakup.  I don't think there is more that Duff can say because there isn't anything left for him TO say.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Unfortunately, there is nothing there that actually sheds light on what actually happened other than "it didn't work out" lol.  I selfishly wish they would just do a big interview that goes into the nitty gritty of everything.  Like his comments sound just vaugue enough to where I don't feel comfortable assuming any sort of thing regarding what actually happened.  If the plan is to keep us in the dark, why throw carrots like this at us that only make us wonder even more what actually happened?

I know this will end up being just like the other Izzy thread where Izzy fans say the Big 3 are wrong and the other side saying Izzy was in the wrong, regardless of the fact we don't know anything though so I suppose that is just inevitable and I wanted to beat that whole thing here :lol:

When a man omits details oftentimes the message there is that it's none of your business.  I don't mean that to sound rude, that goes for me too, mine, yours, anyones business but theirs. 

Just now, double talkin jive mfkr said:

nonsemse

That's what he said.

10 hours ago, Flake said:

"Touring in a big rock band is not for everybody," he continued. "That's my take on that. It's a thing — this is a thing."

Certainly sounds like that's what he's implying.

• Like 1

I just finally saw his quotes about Izzy's amps laying around and having to train like a 25 or 28 years old to handle a tour... What a douche he has become. So sad... .. He might train like he is 28 but Slash and Axl sure as hell don't.. Steven may have some back issues but he is in better shape than Axl and Slash.. Axl looks and sounds like a fat winded slob up there... 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Izzy really is a tiny blip in Duff's history.  Duff has an entire, and sizable career sans Izzy. 

How do you figure a blip?.. First off Duff's most successful part of his career was with Izzy and always will be..  most of Duff' solo stuff is garbage.. I wouldn't call it a "blip"... The time with Guns... The two entire Izzy albums Duff played on..... Izzy just played on 3 of Duff's original songs recently. They have jammed together plenty of times over the year as well.. Not too mention all the time they worked together getting "the Project" going even though it never took off.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I just finally saw his quotes about Izzy's amps laying around and having to train like a 25 or 28 years old to handle a tour... What a douche he has become. So sad... .. He might train like he is 28 but Slash and Axl sure as hell don't.. Steven may have some back issues but he is in better shape than Axl and Slash.. Axl looks and sounds like a fat winded slob up there... 

Slash works out regularly too apparently. 

20 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

duff comes off like such a pompous douche - oh yeah im so cool im a dad im fit im married im rich and nobody else can top it and izzy is a flake cause whatever i was more famous and rich then him before and now and he had nothing to do with it 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

"fat winded slob"😄 almost spit my coffee out on that one.

• Like 2