Duff on Izzy Interviews - The Rolling Stone/Blabbermouth 18th July [New]

50 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

no doubt but not like a "25 or 28" year old working to complete in a triathlon like duff makes it seem you need to do..

Yeah Duff's workout is on a whole other level.

17 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Slash obviously trains a lot but he also obviously doesn't care about his eating habits :lol: Dude has a lot of muscle and a lot of stamina, he just (probably) eats way too much 

I think he focuses mostly on his arms.

13 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Unfortunately, there is nothing there that actually sheds light on what actually happened other than "it didn't work out" lol.  I selfishly wish they would just do a big interview that goes into the nitty gritty of everything.  Like his comments sound just vaugue enough to where I don't feel comfortab7le assuming any sort of thing regarding what actually happened.  If the plan is to keep us in the dark, why throw carrots like this at us that only make us wonder ev:Den more what actually happened?

I know this will end up being just like the other Izzy thread where Izzy fans say the Big 3 are wrong and the other side saying Izzy was in the wrong, regardless of the fact we don't know anything though so I suppose that is just inevitable and I wanted to beat that whole thing here :lol:

if you read Blabbermouth comments is kinds same comments we has here in this forum  :D

11 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

When a man omits details oftentimes the message there is that it's none of your business.  I don't mean that to sound rude, that goes for me too, mine, yours, anyones business but theirs. 

And I get it, but just to me to be so vague it practically is asking for an elaboration and more curiosity, better off going full on dark mode in that case IMO

30 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

It's urgent and imperative to have new music!!! 

I feel seriously offended when they offer me fucking trucks

Yeah seriously.

If it's gonna be transportation merch at least give us the fucking Nightrain

I want to see the physical train fully realized.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

How do you figure a blip?.. First off Duff's most successful part of his career was with Izzy and always will be..  most of Duff' solo stuff is garbage.. I wouldn't call it a "blip"... The time with Guns... The two entire Izzy albums Duff played on..... Izzy just played on 3 of Duff's original songs recently. They have jammed together plenty of times over the year as well.. Not too mention all the time they worked together getting "the Project" going even though it never took off.

In the grand scheme of things it really is a tiny part of his career.  He's done like what, a dozen albums without Izzy? A couple of books?  Is coming off of one of the most successful tours of all time, without Izzy...   I just think Izzy means a lot more to us fans than it does to Duff.  GnR might have come to full stop after Izzy's departure, but Duff certainly didn't.  Again, I personally LOVE Izzy, but from Duff's point of view, it has to be tiresome for him to field question ignoring the last 30 years (and majority) of his career.  It's like coming back to your high school reunion as a millionaire CEO, but your classmates can't get past the fact that you didn't marry the prom queen.  How many times can you humor them with "I don't know." before you just can't be arsed with anymore fucking questions about what happened 30 years ago.

I'm not even trying to say this in a combative way, I'm just saying.  Duff has "Fuck You" money and he's been able to do pretty much what-ever-the-fuck he wants.  I don't think he pines on about "Where did we go wrong Izzy? Where did we go wrong?"  I have no idea how old you are, but I personally can't imagine being asked incessantly why me and my best friend from high school drifted apart.  Ironically that was about 30 years ago for me too, it's long over and done.  My life has moved forward, quite well.

Edited by DeadSlash
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

In the grand scheme of things it really is a tiny part of his career.  He's done like what, a dozen albums without Izzy? A couple of books?  Is coming off of one of the most successful tours of all time, without Izzy...   I just think Izzy means a lot more to us fans than it does to Duff.  GnR might have come to full stop after Izzy's departure, but Duff certainly didn't.  Again, I personally LOVE Izzy, but from Duff's point of view, it has to be tiresome for him to field question ignoring the last 30 years (and majority) of his career.  It's like coming back to your high school reunion as a millionaire CEO, but your classmates can't get past the fact that you didn't marry the prom queen.  How many times can you humor them with "I don't know." before you just can't be arsed with anymore fucking questions about what happened 30 years ago.

I'm not even trying to say this in a combative way, I'm just saying.  Duff has "Fuck You" money and he's been able to do pretty much what-ever-the-fuck he wants.  I don't think he pines on about "Where did we go wrong Izzy? Where did we go wrong?"  I have no idea how old you are, but I personally can't imagine being asked incessantly why me and my best friend from high school drifted apart.  Ironically that was about 30 years ago for me too, it's long over and done.  My life has moved forward, quite well.

Some valid points but if Duff's career outside Guns was really worth asking questions about, people would.  There is no escaping the fact that Guns was the quintessential part of Duff's career to the general public. The Guns N' Roses reunion was a big deal and Izzy was a big part of Guns. If he wasn't people wouldn't still be asking over 3 years later why he wasn't onstage with them. As long as he is still alive and Guns are rolling along I don't see that changing.. Fans aren't going to give up hope like for 23 years they didn't give up hope on Slash returning.  It drove the NuGuns fans crazy but it was expected. 

BTW, I don't find you combative at all. Healthy debate between two Guns fans..

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Again, I personally LOVE Izzy, but from Duff's point of view, it has to be tiresome for him to field question ignoring the last 30 years (and majority) of his career.  It's like coming back to your high school reunion as a millionaire CEO, but your classmates can't get past the fact that you didn't marry the prom queen. 

I totally get what you are saying, and I know that it must be like that for a lot of older rockers who peaked in their youth with worldwide success

But at the same time I look at it like The Beatles - where no matter what Paul McCartney gets asked nowadays, he will always be asked in interviews about something related to the Beatles.  Because that was culturally the most important and influential thing he has been a part of - and he knows that as well because of how much Beatles he puts in his setlists.  

And of course GNR is nowhere near the Beatles in terms of cultural impact, but Appetite is THE GNR album and has THE GNR material that resonated and got them huge in the first place.  And I feel like no matter what, Duff, Axl, Slash, etc, will forever be asked about that album, its songs, and the people who played on it - especially if said people are not present in GNR especially when GNR have been relying on said older material for their tour the last 3 years on tour with nothing new

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3

On 19. 07. 2019. at 7:05 AM, Flake said:

DUFF MCKAGAN On IZZY STRADLIN's Non-Involvement In GUNS N' ROSES Reunion: 'Maybe Some Other Time'
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-on-izzy-stradlins-non-involvement-in-guns-n-roses-reunion-maybe-some-other-time/

GUNS N' ROSES bassist Duff McKagan says that he and Slash worked "hard" on trying to get Izzy Stradlin involved with the band's reunion tour.

While GUNS N' ROSES' "Not In This Lifetime" trek features the "classic era" lineup of McKagan, Slash and singer Axl Rose — with the occasional guest appearance by drummer Steven Adler — Stradlin has not taken part in any shows on the tour, with unconfirmed reports claiming that he turned down a five-figure fee to play with GUNS N' ROSES at the April 2016 reunion shows.

Now, in a new interview in the "Rolling Stone Music Now" podcast, McKagan has offered more information on the circumstances that led to Izzy's absence from the trek.

According to Duff, Izzy's decision to sit out the tour "wasn't from us not trying, for sure. I don't know if have a take beyond that," he said. "I know what we tried to do and how hard we worked at that.

"Touring in a big rock band is not for everybody," he continued. "That's my take on that. It's a thing — this is a thing."

Asked about Stradlin's claim that he stepped away from the reunion because the band didn't want to "split the loot equally," McKagan said: "I don't even know. At the end of the day, we just couldn't figure it out."

Duff went on to address Izzy's history of "coming and going" from various projects, including a brief stint with Duff and Slash's post GN'R band VELVET REVOLVER.

"There's a lot of coming and going, so this was one more chapter of that coming and going," Duff said in reference to Izzy pulling out of "Not In This Lifetime".

"I don't wanna say anything that's untoward, because I love the guy," the bassist continued. "Slash and I are sober guys, and we went at it with a solution-based [attitude], like, 'Let's make this work.' But it just didn't. And who knows? Maybe some other time."

Asked whether he thinks the GUNS N' ROSES reunion is finite, Duff said: "I don't have that feeling at all, [that] it's a finite thing.

"Because we've done no press yet, nobody knows," he continued. "And I kind of dig it, to be honest with you. I'm not trying to keep you in the dark. I don't dig the feeling of keeping you in the dark, but it's kind of nice. It's a thing where nobody needs to know our business. I think that's… We got into trouble a long time ago, where people knew all of our business… So we talk about things to each other now — something that maybe we never did before."

Last year, Izzy blamed his non-involvement with the GUNS N' ROSES reunion tour on the fact that he and the other guys in the band were unable "to reach a happy middle ground through the negotiation process."

Rose told Brazil's Globo TV in a 2016 interview that wasn't optimistic about Stradlin rejoining his former bandmates. "I don't really know what to say about Izzy," Axl said. "It's like you could have a conversation and think it's one way and the next day it's another way. And I'm not trying to take any shots at Izzy. It's just his thing is kind of his thing, whatever that is."

Stradlin, whose real name is Jeffrey Isbell, was born and grew up in Lafayette, Indiana, where he was high school friends and bandmates with singer William Bailey — later known as Axl Rose.

His first and only post-GUNS band, IZZY STRADLIN & THE JU JU HOUNDS, broke up in 1993 after recording one LP. He has since released 10 more solo albums between 1998 and 2010.

isn't this interview taken from smw else where it already came out like a month ago? I could swear I read this before word for word.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

isn't this interview taken from smw else where it already came out like a month ago? I could swear I read this before word for word.

Yeah dude -- Blabbermouth just decided to write up the Rolling Stone podcast interview. This thread is a month old :D .

• Like 1

Very funny.

Good, old,  interview by Blabbermouth written up from RS podcast then  giving a little bit more of GnRs  personal business, I do not think people needed to know, lol, but I am interested in what Duff said.  

Edited by Latx
Sorry double post

On 6/26/2019 at 10:29 PM, Powderfinger said:

I wonder if Izzy’s sobriety is part of not touring. He was in this notorious band, he was a junkie etc, I wonder if he wants to move on from those parts of his life? 

I wonder this only as a recovering alcoholic myself. I left the area and subsequently country where I did all my drinking. Not to avoid the past but to avoid the fuckers who only wanted to discuss my past exploits. Duuuuuuddddeeee do you remember the time...... When you have a reputation that’s all people see. Even after years and years of sobriety. 

Izzy would get this on a global scale if he was to tour, from the media and from the fans. He may find it easier to move on with life rather than discuss the same few years of it over and over. 

Ive thought this a lot but never posted due to my own reasons for wondering, but anyone else think this could be part of the reason he hasn’t done any solo tours over the last few years? 

Best to on your good work.

I agree with you and Dash.

My post got deleted 

People grow up, grow and change too as they age, find other interests, friends, family needs, time, other business interests, etc.

GnR Company owned by A,D, S is hitting year 4 earning half a billion in sales. The offer here of five figures a show , Duff said, the offer just fell through. Slash said Izzy wanting it to be 1987? I do not understand what he meant.

Yeah this 3 piece reunion cares and wants and it is all about money. Fine. No crime or sin there. Good for them. There is nothing wrong with that. They tried to negotiate an offer ,we none know fior how many shows, what tour leg a year, or really how much  they OFFERED to Izzy.

Business deal fell apart. None of these guys are sad or crying. They are all happy with their lives. I agree with what you said. Maybe the guy does not want to be around that whole thing again, even WITH EVERYONE, clean and sober and the others have been so for decades now. 

The offer, Duff said, was five figures lol. I know nothing about that kind of thing, and Izzy said they did want to split the loot equally, well, maybe he meant better than the offer. Not being paid like Axl, Slash, and Duff, but better than the offer presented of five figures

I am sure Izzy is  not crying in his coffee and could care less as Axl, Slash, Duff are jus fine too.  

People change. At 57, no active or current social media, Izzy is just private , happy in his personal and professional life and hobby of his songwriting and his personal business interests. Life is not just performing on a stage. 

Edited by Latx

On 25/06/2019 at 6:30 PM, El Guapo said:

Exactly, stuff like that. Duff should just shut up.

What if this is exactly how he feels?

You know there's a possibility that this is what happened. And yes, maybe they weren't giving the exact same money? But maybe they weren't asking him to put in as much work or maybe he wasn't offering to put in as much work. There's way more to the story than the money. Obviously that is the deal breaker for most bands when they have a disagreement and obviously Izzy didn't feel appreciated by the offer he was given.

If he had committed to being full time you gotta figure that he would have been offered just as much as Duff and Slash. But, there's nothing in the last 25+ years that suggests to me that Izzy wants to tour extensively, he'll write music and barely promote it, doesn't do shows, he does things when and if he wants to and that seems to suit him... But that doesn't work for a large scale comeback tour.

• Like 3

On 7/19/2019 at 1:55 PM, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah Duff's workout is on a whole other level.

I think he focuses mostly on his arms.

His core strength has to be decent to do those handstands.  

• Like 1