Izzy_Jive

Date of Welcome to the Jungle video debut on MTV

Hi everybody.

As many of you may know, Guns N' Roses lore mentions that Appetite started rolling when, following Tom Zutaut's direct request to David Geffen, the Welcome To The Jungle video got to be "aired only one time around 5:00AM on a Sunday morning." (soure Wikipedia, Tom King, The Operator: David Geffen Builds, Buys, and Sells the New Hollywood, p. 430, Broadway Books (New York 2001).

Now, according to IMDB, the WTTJ video was released on monday september 28th 1987, so the to-be-disclosed sunday could be sunday september 27th 1987 but, if it were true, it would conflict with Tom Zutaut's statement that "the band threw a party while awaiting the early-hours broadcast. While the musicians and friends indulged in their rock’n’roll excesses of choice, Tom Zutaut bought “bucketloads” of cookies and milk for some sustenance. “Before the video comes on, maybe like 11 at night, there’s a knock on the door and it’s the LA Country Sheriffs,” Zutaut recalled."
Why does it conflict? Because on september 27th 1987 the band was already in, or on a flight to, Hamburg, Germany for the first show - september 29th 1987 - of the European leg of the Appetite for Destruction Tour, with Faster Pussycat opening.
I know that tecnhically the band could have flown to Europe in the afternoon of september 27th and landed in Germany on september 28th for 1 good night of sleep before starting the tour the next evening, so I have to check that one thing as well.

Coulkd it be another sunday though?

• September 21st, the band was in LA fresh off the Cult tour;
  • October 11th, the band was in LA fresh off the European tour;
  • November 29th, the band was in LA fresh off the Mötley Crüe tour;

I'm just curious that such an important event in the ascent of GNR to stardom doesn't have a set date on it.

11 hours ago, Izzy_Jive said:

Hi everybody.

As many of you may know, Guns N' Roses lore mentions that Appetite started rolling when, following Tom Zutaut's direct request to David Geffen, the Welcome To The Jungle video got to be "aired only one time around 5:00AM on a Sunday morning." (soure Wikipedia, Tom King, The Operator: David Geffen Builds, Buys, and Sells the New Hollywood, p. 430, Broadway Books (New York 2001).

Now, according to IMDB, the WTTJ video was released on monday september 28th 1987, so the to-be-disclosed sunday could be sunday september 27th 1987 but, if it were true, it would conflict with Tom Zutaut's statement that "the band threw a party while awaiting the early-hours broadcast. While the musicians and friends indulged in their rock’n’roll excesses of choice, Tom Zutaut bought “bucketloads” of cookies and milk for some sustenance. “Before the video comes on, maybe like 11 at night, there’s a knock on the door and it’s the LA Country Sheriffs,” Zutaut recalled."
Why does it conflict? Because on september 27th 1987 the band was already in, or on a flight to, Hamburg, Germany for the first show - september 29th 1987 - of the European leg of the Appetite for Destruction Tour, with Faster Pussycat opening.
I know that tecnhically the band could have flown to Europe in the afternoon of september 27th and landed in Germany on september 28th for 1 good night of sleep before starting the tour the next evening, so I have to check that one thing as well.

Coulkd it be another sunday though?

• September 21st, the band was in LA fresh off the Cult tour;
  • October 11th, the band was in LA fresh off the European tour;
  • November 29th, the band was in LA fresh off the Mötley Crüe tour;

I'm just curious that such an important event in the ascent of GNR to stardom doesn't have a set date on it.

It was the video for WTTJ that prompted me to by the Appetite album. I can vividly recall buying the album on October 10, 1987, because I was at the mall looking for the album, and also looking for a gift for my mom, whose birthday is October 12th.

So it was probably a week or two earlier that the WTTJ video debuted (sometime late September).

• Like 3

The video that started my Bad Obsession (pun intended) of GNR in October 1987. :)

• Like 2

I remember we didn't have cable at the time, but my uncle would record the Headbanger's ball every Saturday night and we would watch it on Sunday's after dinner. My mom freaked out the first time she saw the video. At first seeing them and Axl's hair was like WTF? My uncle was like wait the song is really cool!  The rest as they say is history because they became my mom's favorite band and changed the course of rock music forever!

Yeah, it was on during the night sometime. The HB would begin at midnight and go on until 3. I guess WTTJ must have come on around 2 a.m. or so.

• Like 2