Impending US/UK war with Iran

AtariLegend

What's your view?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For days, Iran had denied Western accusations it was responsible for Wednesday’s crash soon after take-off from Tehran, in which all 176 people aboard were killed. Authorities said on Saturday that air defences had been fired in error while on high alert following Iranian missile strikes on U.S. targets in Iraq.

Expressions of condolence over the incident from Supreme Leader and President Hassan Rouhani failed to calm angry Iranians, who used social media to express their outrage against the establishment for concealing the truth.

“It is a national tragedy. The way it was handled and it was announced by the authorities was even more tragic,” said Ali Ansari, a moderate cleric, according to Iran’s semi-official ILNA news agency.

Many Iranians asked why authorities did not close down Tehran’s airport and the country’s airspace at a time when they would have been on alert for retaliation after the missile strikes.

There were no fatalities in those strikes, launched to avenge the Jan. 3 U.S. killing of top Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani in a drone strike in Baghdad.

“They were so careful not to kill any American in their revenge for Soleimani. But they did not close the airport? This shows how much this regime cares for Iranians,” said Mira Sedaghati in Tehran by telephone.

An Iranian military statement carried by state media said the Ukrainian plane, which was headed for Kiev, was mistaken for a “hostile target” after it turned toward a sensitive military base of the elite Revolutionary Guards near Tehran, adding that it was a “human error and unintentional”.

“Unintentionally? What does it mean? They concealed this huge tragic news for days just to mourn for Soleimani. Shame on you,” said Reza Ghadyani, in Tabriz city.

The country held three days of funeral processions for Soleimani, who was head of the Revolutionary Guards’ overseas Quds Force and a national hero. Hundreds of thousands of people participated across the country.

Some Iranians called for resignation of officials, dismissing their apologies.

“You took your revenge from Iranians,” tweeted Ahmad Batebi on his @radiojibi Twitter account, in response to Rouhani’s tweet saying that “The Islamic Republic of Iran deeply regrets this disastrous mistake”.

“Only resignation,” tweeted Sadeq on his @sadeq1367 account

In a Twitter message on Saturday, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif cast some of the blame for the plane disaster on what he called U.S. adventurism.

“It’s the end line Mr. Minister! You ruined everything!,” responded Bita Razaqi on @bitarazaqi.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-iran-crash-people-idUKKCN1ZA0E2?taid=5e1a70faceb08f000129ed85&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Why do so many people here seem to make such a big deal over the Iranian people protesting against how the Iranian government has dealt with this case? Do they think it is some watershed moment when Iranians protest and criticise their government? Iranians protest all the time. There has been ongoing protests in Iran for a long time. The Iranian people is in a perpetual state of opposition. At least some of them. Of course the lies about what happened to the civilian airplane will just add fuel to these protests. But Iranians protesting against how Iran has officially dealt with this case is NOT the same as Iranian being on US side in this conflict. A protest against the religious leadership is not a support of USA. Nor is it in any shape or form clear that if these protesters (who are still in minority) were to throw the government that whatever or whoever would take over would be better than what we have today. The devil you know and all that. Iran has been on a slow progressiv process for a very long time now; it bugs me that US international policies and that violent imbecile Donald Trump might now be rocking the boat. 

Edited by SoulMonster

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why is nobody blaming Iran for bullshitting? For days relatives of the deceased endured this colossal lie about mechanical failure! Or is Trump to blame for the Iranians lying also? 

What? Recent posts here have been about Iranian people protesting against their government because they lied to them. 

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What? Recent posts here have been about Iranian people protesting against their government because they lied to them. 

I meant from you lot and the usual shouty hatchet faced twitterati. I half expect you to all have Trump to be the second gunman on the grassy knoll. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I meant from you lot and the usual shouty hatchet faced twitterati. I half expect you to all have Trump to be the second gunman on the grassy knoll. 

Ah, right. I suppose people don't point out the obvious because it is obvious. It is also kind of expected from that regime. But of course, lying to its people is bad. Iran did bad. I would think everybody would agree on that. 

I haven't said anything about this before. But fuck Trump for escalating the situation with Iran and bringing the countries to the brink of war. And fuck Iran for their actions, including the incompetent shooting down of a civilian airplane. It is like little boys fighting in the school yard, only that here it affects the livelihood of an entire region and millions of people.

Btw, you previously said something about disliking Trump as much as everyone else here. I don't believe you. Politically, you seem to be very much on the same page: you advocate for isolationist, unilateral policies, it is very much US/England first, you have little understanding of science and respect for scientific results, you get your updates from far-right news outlets, you like mocking other people and have a superficial, caricatured or outdated view on other people/geopolitics, your respect for democracy only sticks as deep as it can advance your political goals. I might be wrong, but I can't remember ever seeing a post from you expressing any kind of outrage against him. I think you like him, actually. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

you advocate for isolationist, unilateral policies, it is very much US/England first

I have never advocated isolationism/unilateralism. Lie #562 from Soul Monster

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

you have little understanding of science and respect for scientific results

Well I am not a scientific person such as yourself and Dazey - my discipline is the humanities - but I have more knowledge of it than you give me credit for. 

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

you get your updates from far-right news outlets

You're lying again. 

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

you like mocking other people

You have me on that one haha

your respect for democracy only sticks as deep as it can advance your political goals

...because I do not espouse rerunning referenda if the result goes wrong?

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I might be wrong, but I can't remember ever seeing a post from you expressing any kind of outrage against him.  

You're wrong.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have never advocated isolationism/unilateralism. Lie #562 from Soul Monster

Well I am not a scientific person such as yourself and Dazey - my discipline is the humanities - but I have more knowledge of it than you give me credit for. 

You're lying again. 

You have me on that one haha

...because I do not espouse rerunning referenda if the result goes wrong?

You're wrong.

Right. Still inclined to believe your posting history over your denials. 

16 hours ago, soon said:

The responsibility that Iran as a state does hold is that it was in a war footing, believing itself to be under a sustained attack by the worlds sole superpower and yet it didnt shutdown its airports and close its airspace.

^^^^^ I posted this and then KK laughed at my post.

And then he posted the exact same statement....

13 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

“They were so careful not to kill any American in their revenge for Soleimani. But they did not close the airport? This shows how much this regime cares for Iranians,” said Mira Sedaghati in Tehran by telephone.

Almost makes it seem like I was being mocked not on the substance of my post but across perceived tribalist lines. 

Right. Still inclined to believe your posting history over your denials. 

Then you shouldn't have any troubles pulling any of it up?

I'll help you out: here are some posts discussing Trump,

On 8/25/2015 at 9:53 AM, DieselDaisy said:

What is up with that dead animal on his head?

On 8/25/2015 at 7:27 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Apparently he once tried to get into Princess Di's knickers. She found him an odious man and rebuffed him. Here is the story in fact,

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/donald-trump-gave-princess-diana-6266166

On 8/28/2015 at 1:27 PM, DieselDaisy said:

If I was a world leader or dignitary, meeting President Trump for the first time, I'm not sure I could resist the urge to grab his hair in order to see ''if it is real?'. My point is, nobody will take a guy with that thing on his head seriously.

On 8/29/2015 at 3:12 PM, DieselDaisy said:

The world leaders will not see past that dead animal on Trump's head. Cameron will be thinking it resembles something he had shot that morning; Berlusconi will be wondering if that is what Merkel's pubic hair looks like; the Scottish nationals will want to make a nice sporran out of it.

57 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

So you don't like his hair? That's exactly the type of flimsy, superficial thing I would expect if you.  Way to prove I was wrong, and way to demonstrate your childish jealousy of anyone still with functional follicles on their heads. 

You said, 

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I think you like him

Yet have not provided any demonstrable proof to that effect, which is entirely in your grasp if the evidence existed. I have searched my post history and, in the absence of admiration, have merely pulled-up ridicule of Donald Trump which is not the type of stuff an admirer of his would post. I await your evidence, or are these posts as transparent as the ones in which I claimed disinterest in the Brexit economy as I await those quotations also?

This lying thing does you no favours. 

56 minutes ago, soon said:

Calls Trudeau a fascist but will only mock Trumps hair....

I do not believe I have ever called Trudeau a ''fascist''. I have made many jokes about him being a black and white minstrel, but never a fascist. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I do not believe I have ever called Trudeau a ''fascist''. I have made many jokes about him being a black and white minstrel, but never a fascist. 

This was just yesterday. I doubt you forget. Not only the Prime Minstrel, you called all the major parties of Canada fascists! :lol:

Just now, soon said:

This was just yesterday. I doubt you forget. Not only the Prime Minstrel, you called all the major parties of Canada fascists! :lol:

Then produce the quotation!

It is an easy enough thing to do,

- find post

- highlight text

- a little box coming up saying, ''quote this''...

- click on that.

The offending quote will appear in your text box. Merely post it.

I await my quotations. 

Here ya go, @DieselDaisy... the stuff you said just yesterday about the entire canadiana political structure being fascist

22 hours ago, soon said:

In Canada our political parties, including the Tories, banned our right wing tabloid from attending their events in the recent election. So the nutters successfully sued their way in. At which time the various parties security started placing hands on the nutters. One of these nutters got so worked up that he ran from the security into oncoming traffic. :lol: This lunatic media outlet is bullied mercilessly by their 'peers' and is ignored by the political parties who only laugh in their faces. Our parties call the police on them sometimes. :lol:

Thats the reasonable way that we ensure the safety of VIPs and the integrity of out media.

Not surprised that Canada is seen as a desirable option for the fam. We don't let the right run amuck here. Ive no idea why you dont put yours in check!

22 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

What you're proposing is ironically fascism. A freedom of the press is a prerequisite for a functioning democracy.

Without freedom of the press a country is not a democracy. Beneath your weirdo hippy exterior hides a goose stepping fascist.

22 hours ago, soon said:

I am of course not in charge of any of our political parties. What you are doing is making the bold an indefensible claim that our Tories, Liberals, NDP and Greens are exhibiting proto-facsist tendencies.

You seem to be making this bizarre claim because you dont understand the issue of gaining press credentials. With out such conventions I can simply claim that Im now a journalist and you owe me a sit down interview because I claim that your slandering of our political parties is a threat to democracy.

I am saying, without freedom of the press a country is not a democracy. The rest of your post is gibberish. 

22 hours ago, soon said:

No you cant respond to the rest of my post because its a slam dunk, balls in face, mic drop that completely undoes your flawed argument. (your argument in defence of racist propaganda no less!! :lol:)

Edited by soon

Just now, soon said:

Here ya go...

At no stage did I direct those comments towards a Canadian political party. Here are the subjects,

What you're proposing...

''You're'', second person singular.

a country is...

''Country'', i.e., state, preceded by indefinite article. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

At no stage did I direct those comments towards a Canadian political party. Here are the subjects,

''You're'', second person singular.

''Country'', i.e., state, preceded by indefinite article. 

You called all the political parties in canada fascists! 

You erroneously chose to attribute their actions to me. But the actions you were addressing is that of the federal political parties. That is clear as day. Its simple. But I do respect that one would want to back peddle on that nonsense you spoke. Obviously the 4th and 5th estate are not an area of your expertise.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have never once even discussed a Canadian political party on here, let lone in the quotations you provided! 

I just demonstrated that you did. You called the major political parties of canadas actions "fascist." Which is fucking hilarious! :lol:

Moving on...

Just now, soon said:

I just demonstrated that you did. You called the major political parties of canadas actions "fascist." Which is fucking hilarious! :lol:

Moving on...

Then you should be able to provide the quotation from my post in which I called ''the major political parties of canadas actions fascist''?

Heck, I'd settle for a quote in which I even labelled one ''political party of Canada fascist''

I await the quotation....

I have been accused of making three charges by Soon pertaining to Canada and fascism,

1 hour ago, soon said:

Calls Trudeau a fascist

32 minutes ago, soon said:

you called all the major parties of Canada fascists! :lol:

And the similar,

20 minutes ago, soon said:

You called all the political parties in canada fascists! 

There should then be a post written by myself, in which I said words to that effect.

Where is it Soon? Please quote it.

PS

This was only yesterday allegedly so it should be easy to find.

Edited by DieselDaisy

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have been accused of making three charges by Soon pertaining to Canada and fascism,

And the similar,

There should then be a post written by myself, in which I said words to that effect.

Where is it Soon? Please quote it.

PS

This was only yesterday allegedly so it should be easy to find.

Asked and answered.

I love the image of you sitting there with bright white Rogaine foam covering your bald head, trying to figure out how to weasel out of having called the actions of all the major federal parties of Canada "Fascist." :lol: