Unreleased Material, Speculation & Discussion *****NO POSTING OR ASKING FOR LINKS*****

26 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Anyone else finding it hard to really get enthused by any of this?

its not like the CD leaks of 06, where you were hearing the new shit Axl was working on and wondering when it was going to be released and if he was going to add it to the setlists. This is outtakes from 13+yrs ago, which Axl has likely abandoned. Hardly new GNR album levels of excitement, surely?

I don't agree at all. I'm a 1993 or less fan but I've been on discord all day watching for anything new. It reminds of being stuck to mygnrforum when the Troubadour shows were being announced (except my wifes home - luckily she was out both nights in 2016) and the week later when Fede was streaming. The leaks maybe shit when they get released but it gives me hope, and as a GNR fan, unfortunately, that's the best I can hope for.

I think what I'm trying to say is, its a bit of fun, something is actually happening in Guns N Roses land.

7 minutes ago, Amir said:

What I just thought about is that there's a pre-Bucket Madagascar. Is there still a guitar solo on that? Or even the samples section?

I'm not that sure about this. the first confirmed mix of Madagascar has 06/27/01 date by it, while there's another version which has Josh on drums so that must be older. 

Josh Freese left the band before mid-March 2000, while Buckethead joined somewhat before that - so technically there might still be the first version with both Josh and Buckethead. 

(but likely the older version is pre-Bucket, yes... just trying to think about all variants)

Edited by zombux
  • GNFNR 1

10 minutes ago, zombux said:

I'm not that sure about this. the first confirmed mix of Madagascar has 06/27/01 date by it, while there's another version which has Josh on drums so that must be older. 

Josh Freese left the band before mid-March 2000, while Buckethead joined somewhat before that - so technically there might still be the first version with both Josh and Buckethead

(but likely the older version is pre-Bucket, yes... just trying to think about all variants)

There is this version already out there - leaked probably 18 months ago.

2 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

There is this version already out there - leaked probably 18 months ago.

yes, that "2001 demo". in my opinion, that one was the result of the Village sessions. might be one of those tracks mentioned on the rough mixes CD or might be some track from later mixing stages in Autumn 2001 - but it has Buckethead on it so it won't be older than these Village mixes.

15 minutes ago, zombux said:

Josh Freese left the band before mid-March 2000, while Buckethead joined somewhat before that - so technically there might still be the first version with both Josh and Buckethead. 

Yes there's still the guitar solo, but it's Robin and Axl, pretty much sustained notes. The drums match the huge sound they were going for with the original TWAT version, it's less cluttered and the synths are real up front. Supposedly it's a RTB mix though. Which is where things get confusing. 

Just now, rumandraisin said:

Yes there's still the guitar solo, but it's Robin and Axl, pretty much sustained notes. The drums match the huge sound they were going for with the original TWAT version, it's less cluttered and the synths are real up front. Supposedly it's a RTB mix though. Which is where things get confusing. 

yes, that's exactly the point where there's a huge confusion between when was what recorded, glued together and mixed. probably nobody will ever able to sort it out perfectly :D 

Just now, zombux said:

yes, that's exactly the point where there's a huge confusion between when was what recorded, glued together and mixed. probably nobody will ever able to sort it out perfectly :D 

And then you've got the possibility of certain tracks being finished musically with Beaven but remixed by RTB, so it's hard to say 2001 version when it might have been finished, recording wise in 99 but mixed a few times. 

Imagine a studio timeline of each track! Like you could have something like IRS:

Bass and Freese drums - march 99

Tobias rhythm guitar - April 99

Finck lead - may 99

Then continuing this until you're at 2004 and it's something like 

Bucket head solo no.23 - December 2002

Hahaha it'd be about thirty pages long but really handy and interesting!

5 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

And then you've got the possibility of certain tracks being finished musically with Beaven but remixed by RTB, so it's hard to say 2001 version when it might have been finished, recording wise in 99 but mixed a few times. 

Imagine a studio timeline of each track! Like you could have something like IRS:

Finck lead - may 99

I think Axl said Paul Huge was in charge of compiling all these kind of info. As I said in another post a few days ago, an interview with Paul would be an amazing thing. I don't give a damn about fighting with Slash and Matt and that kind of stories, all I would want to hear is him talking in-depth about the CD sessions. And maybe about the early days in Indiana, if anything else. But then again, he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. Maybe he's in a locker at the Village.

Edited by Twinaleblood
  • Like 1

Another thing that I love in a bizarre way but is really sad, we only have one photo of the Chinese sessions, the one of finck and Tommy with the balloon animals. One photo for ten years worth of recording. 

6 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

I think Axl said Paul Huge was in charge of compiling all these kind of info. As I said in another post a few days ago, an interview with Paul would be an amazing thing. I don't give a damn about fighting with Slash and Matt and that kind of stories, all I would want to hear is him talking in-depth about the CD sessions. And maybe about the early days in Indiana, if anything else. But then again, he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. Maybe he's in a locker at the Village.

Paul did the album credits yeah. 

12 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Finck lead - may 99

and that's exactly what was probably happening. gluing together pieces of tracks recorded throughout the years by various people in various studios, then taking some of these frankensteins and make millions of mixes, and sometimes pick some of those for further use :) 

1 minute ago, zombux said:

and that's exactly what was probably happening. gluing together pieces of tracks recorded throughout the years by various people in various studios, then taking some of these frankensteins and make millions of mixes, and sometimes pick some of those for further use :) 

Yeah, think about the tracks that have Brain and Frank on, it's exactly that by 2006. Especially the way IRS was chopped and extended to allow for an extra solo. Again with twat, extended to allow for a bucket solo but the vocals copied and pasted over in essence. 

Someone mentioned the smile box set that the beach boys put out, that's exactly how Axl should present the album sessions. 

2 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Yeah, think about the tracks that have Brain and Frank on, it's exactly that by 2006. Especially the way IRS was chopped and extended to allow for an extra solo. Again with twat, extended to allow for a bucket solo but the vocals copied and pasted over in essence. 

Someone mentioned the smile box set that the beach boys put out, that's exactly how Axl should present the album sessions. 

well, many of the bands are re-releasing stuff with huge bonuses nowadays. like Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana and many more. the original CD is usually accompanied by 3 or even more discs with demos, live performances, many goodies.

even the AFD SDE was in this term surprisingly decent, I'd say.

I'll add to my Duff connection. There is country style towards the end, and the lyric "how to be a man" is the title of Duff's second book. 

It's an out of the box theory that duff has been inspired by reconnecting with axl. 

Just makes me appreciate velvet revolver a thousand times more. Their output whilst not as heartfelt is significantly better quality than stuff at this time.

Hardschool? Is that the shittest song title ever written? Do we want to know which subject in school he struggled with? I thought it was a temporary title but the chorus is seriously shit? What's better this or sucker train blues?

When checkmate leaked they leaked the best bit with that guitar hook. It kicked ass and checkmate is a really good title. He clearly wrote and recorded the vocals in five minutes on that chorus.

Leakers PLEASE leak the song about him and Elvis, these childhood tales of woe are hilarious.

How much did Chinese cost again :drool:

• Like 1

Atlas Shrugged lyrics (as close as I can get them so far)

Oh, why should I try and judge the things they say that just won't budge I let it go

Oh, and you say you don't mind so you manage to be to kind but still enough to show me how to keep it together

When I try and name no matter who's to blame there's still a ways to go

So if you ask me to believe your heart won't go alone it's got a mind of its own

Well it sits wrong and the road is long and you're the one whose shoulders just ain't wide enough

Whose shoulders shrug when they've had enough, oh

I'd be the last to say don't follow your heart ***

Edited by AtlasShrugged