Unreleased Material, Speculation & Discussion *****NO POSTING OR ASKING FOR LINKS*****

Just now, zombux said:

that is glued together from the old "Checkmate" leak and new Hard School excerpt. surprisingly those two pieces fit together (no idea if the person who did that edited them a bit to fit - I never bothered to start up Audacity and check that)

yeah i know 

1-minute Atlas is interesting!

Definitely understand the comments saying that it sounds like it could've been a UYI song. Hard to make comments about this song as it seems to cut off before it really gets anywhere. Agree with Amir aswell that it sounds quite Bowie-like, not sure if its the structure or the way Axl sings it but really hear that too.

Fingers crossed the whole thing leaks (in good quality!)

Even though I was late to the party (I'll never be able to sleep in peace again) I was able to listen to the clips 

Atlas - even though it's already 1.16 minutes long, it's not enough for me to say whether I like it or not.. But given the hype there was (and still is) around this song, I'm a bit underwhelmed 

Hardschool - very close to the classic GNR sound although it has so NuMetal feel to it.. Would be great to hear it with Slash and Duff

SCOM 2017 - sounds shit as expected 

48 minutes ago, nikosgnr said:

Unfortunately these tracks will never be released officially. Will never have CD II, or a boxset. I'm pretty confident about that.

It could had happened all those years, when the reunion was just something to laugh about..

This story here with 15? 20? discs, proves that "Axl's vault" is not a joke.

And @Dexter.. Goddamn it man.. Just release some music. That's all we want. We all know you read these with @Fernando.

Odds are the next GNR album is going to re-record some of the ChiDem II songs with Slash and Duff and some stuff that was supposed to be for the third Velvet Revolver Album. The songwriting credits will kind of give away where the songs are coming from.  Axl was working on that follow-up in the middle of releasing ChiDem but Interscope had zero interest in supporting him at the time, for that and the remix album.  

I think GNR were using 5 studios, probably double that if you're counting home studios, and bands like APC used GNR's studio time to do the first album. I know The Palms in Vegas was one of the studios. 

3 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

Odds are the next GNR album is going to re-record some of the ChiDem II songs with Slash and Duff and some stuff that was supposed to be for the third Velvet Revolver Album. The songwriting credits will kind of give away where the songs are coming from.  Axl was working on that follow-up in the middle of releasing ChiDem but Interscope had zero interest in supporting him at the time, for that and the remix album.  

I think GNR were using 5 studios, probably double that if you're counting home studios, and bands like APC used GNR's studio time to do the first album. I know The Palms in Vegas was one of the studios. 

Yep. I know. But I don't want them to be re-recorded.

That's when the magic will be lost. The songs would never be the same.

• Like 1

I wonder how much Axl knew GNR lost in the Universal fire - I doubt rough mixes/work tapes were stored there but the Use Your Illusions and The Spaghetti Incident masters were probably part of it, and Live 86-93. If Greatest Hits went up in flames, I'm sure Axl, Slash and Duff could care less. It also makes me wonder what master tape they used to work on the AFD Super Deluxe. Surprised Axl hasn't Tweeted about it. 

1 minute ago, nikosgnr said:

Yep. I know. But I don't want them to be re-recorded.

That's when the magic will be lost. The songs would never be the same.

Outside of trading circles, there would have to be interest for a Chinese Democracy Deluxe to be released. 

I think if someone decided to make a book about the making and release of "Chinese Democracy", it would be like "The Longest Cocktail Party" about The Beatles - a lot of it ties into the music industry at its peak and dramatic fall. A lot of people still don't know why Axl was "in hiding" in 2008 and didn't want to be in the public eye, he said it wasn't a great year for him even though he was happy to see the album finally released. They'd have to get the Axl and Del James "blessing" to do it though and have access to all the tapes, notes, etc, including some of the stuff MSL wound up in possession of. 

• Like 1

Hardschool is a the new YCBM and I wonder why it was not in the final selection.Great AFD on steroids type song

Atlas is a very CITR-like song and we’ll have to wait to a full leak to judge

Anyone else finding it hard to really get enthused by any of this?

its not like the CD leaks of 06, where you were hearing the new shit Axl was working on and wondering when it was going to be released and if he was going to add it to the setlists. This is outtakes from 13+yrs ago, which Axl has likely abandoned. Hardly new GNR album levels of excitement, surely?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

its not like the CD leaks of 06, where you were hearing the new shit Axl was working on and wondering when it was going to be released and if he was going to add it to the setlists. This is outtakes from 13+yrs ago, which Axl has likely abandoned. Hardly new GNR album levels of excitement, surely?

Agree, it's more about laying Ghosts to rest regarding our collective interests in the unheard mythical stuff. And the added bonus of hearing song titles for the first time that have been unknown until now. 

2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Not sure I agree. Yeah working into the setlists is cool n all but this stuff is stuff we'll likely never hear if it doesn't leak. At least with CD leaks there was the hope that if we didn't hear them, they'd come out one day anyway in their final form.

Just love Axl's vocals in that clip of Hard School. The "lend you my hand" bit is vintage.

Atlas is just too hard to decipher at this point but does sound very Chinese era. Will reserve judgement. It could well end up being the more interesting of the two songs when we heard full versions.

4 minutes ago, Faxl Rows said:

Agree, it's more about laying Ghosts to rest regarding our collective interests in the unheard mythical stuff. And the added bonus of hearing song titles for the first time that have been unknown until now. 

Exactly, plus hearing especially what Robin and Tommy were able to achieve. I love Robins Stuff on Chinese and there are so few moments from his entire career, where you can really hear his unique style (which may not be for anybody, agreed) 

To think that they worked all those years on these songs and all the public got to hear were 15 songs.... 

Edited by Lipfel
  • Like 2

Listened to the leaks, not bad. I wonder what happened to "Seven" with Beltrami, unless it was named something else at some point. With all of the orchestration they talked about with that song, I think it could be one of the greats. Also, I've read through quite a few pages, but I'm still not sure how these got out initially. I know that the leaker wants 15k for everything, but I'm guessing these are just snippets to get the juices flowing, before he releases everything or did he say he WAS going to release everything at some point? I just keep refreshing and was curious. 

6 minutes ago, grogmug said:

Listened to the leaks, not bad. I wonder what happened to "Seven" with Beltrami, unless it was named something else at some point. With all of the orchestration they talked about with that song, I think it could be one of the greats. Also, I've read through quite a few pages, but I'm still not sure how these got out initially. I know that the leaker wants 15k for everything, but I'm guessing these are just snippets to get the juices flowing, before he releases everything or did he say he WAS going to release everything at some point? I just keep refreshing and was curious. 

I think that's from 2002 and it involves Brain and Bucket

18 minutes ago, Amir said:

Rereading Chinese Whispers for the bajillionth time. It's even been updated with 2018 sources! What an amazing piece of work, hats off to sic. from GNREvo.

the thing is, I also started re-reading into all that and I/we have been misguided a bit yesterday :)

The Village sessions really lasted from March 2000 at latest (possibly started even earlier), way until October 2001 (when as CW lists - the mixes were finished). 

so indeed there is Brain heavily featured, together with including some old pre-Village mixes (THE BEAVAN ALBUM!!! ITS PIECES ARE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and also Buckethead and I think also Robin Finck must be there.

so all this is basically re-mixing and re-recording The Beavan album bits per bits, while having some comparisons to the original form.

also, this is more or less the whole Roy Thomas Baker thing, considering that he joined the process shortly after The Village sessions started, and his stint ended in February 2002 which is somewhat after the sessions ended.

that quite means that "The 2001 leaks" probably originate from these sessions as well :)