Unreleased Material, Speculation & Discussion *****NO POSTING OR ASKING FOR LINKS*****

4 minutes ago, 1987b said:

Wow 25 more pages since last night.  Not asking for a link... just a summary of what’s leaked.  Last I read was a clip of atlas and checkmate and a scom rehearsal.   Have I missed anything?

Nope. 1 min of Atlas, checkmate and SCOM rehearsal is what is commonly out there.

Just now, rumandraisin said:

In 2008 Axl did say Atlas shrugged has nothing really to do with the book but does have a line about 'shoulders not being wide enough for your ego', it's cool to finally hear that line

Earlier this year, I heard that Atlas is about Robin leaving the band the first time. It was from a pretty reliable source. 

• Like 2

This is all VERY intriguing!!  I understand most people's disinterest in this era of the band. For me, I'm honestly WAY more interested in what's being leaked, and the potential of what's listed on the back of these CD mixes, regardless of it dating back to 2000. I like a good mystery and these songs are filling in pieces and pieces of a time when absolutely nobody (outside of the bands circle of coming and going members, producers) knew what was really happening. Just the occasional "We're in the studio" -very vague type of responses. But not until say, David Wild from Rolling Stone was invited into Axls home and studio in 2000 and gave us our first glimpse into what to really expect. 

I'm still fascinated with his impression of what he heard..  "Oh My God" is only a hint of what's to come. Imagine  Zeppelin's Physical Graphite remixed by Beck and Trent Reznor, then you'll have a sense of Axls new sound.  Song after song combines the hard/edgy rock force of vintage Guns N Roses, with surprisingly modern and ambitious musical textures". Or as Spin Magazine put it in 2002, in their review of the Madison Square Garden show right before the tour cancellation... Upon hearing CD, The Blues and Madagascar, it was praised .... "If this ridiculous album ever comes out, I'm buying it 3 times!"

As to how these new sessions were acquired, that's another issue entirely. I thank whomever is responsible. I hope you aren't facing any type if legal ramifications. But please.... If you can keep yourself safe, proceed ... 

We're all so starved for new GNR material, these sessions dating back to '2000-2002, etc, if not earlier, well.... Let's just say some of you weren't even born yet. Personally, I'd be more interested in hearing more of these types of songs than say, something Axl, Slash and Duff threw together in between these past few years. 

Much like Axl's life at the time, everything from the bogus-as-all-hell song titles, to all the various versions, producers coming and going, sounds of bits and pieces pasted together.... It's a bit chaotic.

But because Axl had SO MUCH to prove back then, mostly to himself, I'm sure, being told (I'm really just paraphrasing/speculating) that, yeah "It's good, but not great. But certainly doesn't sound like the GNR people want or are expecting to hear"- type of shit Axl had to deal with. We are just lucky we are hearing any if this at all. 

But keep in mind, I'm fairly certain it's a clear reflection of Axls state of mind at the time. Certainly no less talented or amazingly impressive of a singer/songwriter during that time ; The continuous years of silence (that word can be taken off the table now, since it's now not just hearsay that Axl WAS laying down vocals during this time) plus taking into account the mainstream backlash of Slash, Duff, etc being out ... We are very fortunate. Even more so if we can hear a bit more....

@RussTCB..... What is going on??? I'm SO confused. Haha

Edited by Estrangedfx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Earlier this year, I heard that Atlas is about Robin leaving the band the first time. It was from a pretty reliable source. 

Wasn’t Atlas Shrugged on the list of songs that Kerrang heard in ‘99? If so, timelines don’t quite fit.

Interesting theory though - especially the line about shoulders not being wide enough. Understand it’s a literary reference to the book and Atlas from a Greek mythology - could be to do with Robin not being able to handle the burden of replacing Slash.

2 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Wasn’t Atlas Shrugged on the list of songs that Kerrang heard in ‘99? If so, timelines don’t quite fit.

Interesting theory though - especially the line about shoulders not being wide enough. Understand it’s a literary reference to the book and Atlas from a Greek mythology - could be to do with Robin not being able to handle the burden of replacing Slash.

2 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

I too thought that the story sounded a bit far fetched, but like I said, I've never been happier to be wrong.

Thank you for doing the lord's work.

My source could have even been wrong, but personally I consider them to be pretty in the know :)

50 minutes ago, Creed said:

there are simply reasons why Moby, Ezrin and co didn't start or finish it. this Album simply has no main theme. atlas sounds like Axl is trying to tell a story. Hard School is a rocker, but still out of controll IMO. 

At this point AFD 99 and the versions with freese are the most interesting ones. the stuff is just raw. musically buckethead's solos will be definately missed when we hear full songs.

I'm only really interested in full songs. 1 min clips are pointless and ruin the whole experience of listening to a song imo. Its akin to watching a random half hour in the middle of a film - it totally spoils it when you end up watching the whole thing.

*patiently waiting for Atlas Shrugged full version to leak*

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

I'm only really interested in full songs. 1 min clips are pointless and ruin the whole experience of listening to a song imo. Its akin to watching a random half hour in the middle of a film - it totally spoils it when you end up watching the whole thing.

*patiently waiting for Atlas Shrugged full version to leak*

I'm sure it'll be a good weekend

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My source could have even been wrong, but personally I consider them to be pretty in the know :)

Jeez if true it's a very grandiose sounding song for such a subject. Maybe Axl took it very badly!  

Some of the lyrics I've tried my best at decoding..

So if you ask me to believe your heart won't go alone it's got a mind of its own

Well it sits wrong and the road is long and you're the one whose shoulders just ain't wide enough

Whose shoulders shrug when they've had enough

Edited by AtlasShrugged
  • GNFNR 1

16 minutes ago, axlrosefan4life said:

@RussTCBremember when i broke story about all this and @lukepowell1988was calling me a  liar ? 

guess i wasn’t full of shit after all! 

I didn't know your reputation to be honest. However after being on gnr message boards for 15years, I read your claims and could tell you were legit. Nobody talks like that without backup. 

• GNFNR 1

Definitely in the minority but I am most excited to hear a proper stereo version of Silkworms. I've been waiting for that for over 15 years! 

Do we know if Bucket is on the AFD recording at all? I'd pay good money to hear studio versions of his Nightrain solo. 

• Like 1