Unreleased Material, Speculation & Discussion *****NO POSTING OR ASKING FOR LINKS*****

26 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

So Axl can either sell these tracks on iTunes for $1 each and make millions of wait for the leaks and pay millions on lawyers and make zero on this material.  Come on Axl let us buy your music!

I'd buy each of them for $2 each!
Axl is my favorite singer of all time. But man, the guy has some real issues in terms of how he views his fans (and all the spoils those fans have provided him. Hundreds of millions of dollars, living the life of luxury, living in a mansion, hot chicks throwing themselves at him, etc). Obviously it's his career, his life and the songs he creates are his songs (as well as the band members who helped create them). BUT just speaking for myself, I couldn't keep my work away from my fans like Axl chooses to do.

If I created 20 songs and I knew that 3 million of my fans would love to pay money to get to enjoy them.....in good conscious, I couldn't say "I don't owe them anything" and then sit back in my mansion and let those songs collect dust for 20 years. My feeling would be "hey guys, thank you for all the support over the last 30 years. Here are some songs I worked on twenty years ago, please enjoy, I hope you dig them."   And I would want to get that music out to the fans, not have people stealing CDs and leaking unfinished versions.

Again - Axl can do whatever he wants with his songs. I'm just saying what I would do. At some point, when you are rich beyond your wildest dreams, when you are worshipped by millions of fans.....it's OK to do those fans a solid and let them buy an album of your work. Even if you don't think those songs are perfect, it's OK to just do something to thank your fans.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apollo said:

I'd buy each of them for $2 each!
Axl is my favorite singer of all time. But man, the guy has some real issues in terms of how he views his fans (and all the spoils those fans have provided him. Hundreds of millions of dollars, living the life of luxury, living in a mansion, hot chicks throwing themselves at him, etc). Obviously it's his career, his life and the songs he creates are his songs (as well as the band members who helped create them). BUT just speaking for myself, I couldn't keep my work away from my fans like Axl chooses to do.

If I created 20 songs and I knew that 3 million of my fans would love to pay money to get to enjoy them.....in good conscious, I couldn't say "I don't owe them anything" and then sit back in my mansion and let those songs collect dust for 20 years. My feeling would be "hey guys, thank you for all the support over the last 30 years. Here are some songs I worked on twenty years ago, please enjoy, I hope you dig them."   And I would want to get that music out to the fans, not have people stealing CDs and leaking unfinished versions.

Again - Axl can do whatever he wants with his songs. I'm just saying what I would do. At some point, when you are rich beyond your wildest dreams, when you are worshipped by millions of fans.....it's OK to do those fans a solid and let them buy an album of your work. Even if you don't think those songs are perfect, it's OK to just do something to thank your fans.

Does it have anything to do with the number of people that worked on/written/recorded a lot of this stuff? Like if he dumps all this on iTunes, it's not just Axl getting the money.

8 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Does it have anything to do with the number of people that worked on/written/recorded a lot of this stuff? Like if he dumps all this on iTunes, it's not just Axl getting the money.

GNR is under a record contract. Technically Axl can’t just throw these songs up online even if he wants to. UMG needs to agree to release it and their contract stipulates if there’s advances that are owed and what’s recoupable for the label to collect. It’s a little more complicated than that and on top of it was originally signed when physical media sales were the base of the agreement. 

Edited by guitarpatch

17 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

When it comes the whole owning the cds thing my understanding is that he owns the physical media but anything actually on it is not owned by him and is owned by the copyright holder. 

I am no lawyer, but this feels correct.

If I bought a storage locker and there was the entire Marvel cinematic universe and Star Wars DVD box-sets inside, I wouldn't expect Disney to be happy if I suddenly started uploading them on YouTube.

It is what it is.

I wish it were different, and 100% respect to anyone working for the benefit of the fans.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

That makes it even worse that he doesn't do it. Axl doesn't need the money....but the other musicians who are credited on the songs surely do. If Ron has a writing credit or two, I'm sure he'd welcome the songs be up for sale so he could make a little income.

23 hours ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

So it's just ... with the music? I thought others had copies of it? 

Other people have it. But that's no different than the hoarders of the past. I think they will all sit on it. Can't blame them for wanting to avoid legal trouble. 

23 hours ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

So it's just ... with the music? I thought others had copies of it? 

There are at least 3 different people that have had the discs over the past few days. Impossible to know who made copies of what and who, if anyone, those were given to along the way.

Just now, Stro said:

There are at least 3 different people that have had the discs over the past few days. Impossible to know who made copies of what and who, if anyone, those were given to along the way.

What people need to grasp here is that the distribution of these songs has been done in such a way that a leak would be traceable to an individual rather than the collective.... it’s designed to pinser movement any one of them that try to share... the intentions may be good but they’ve been backed into a corner, cleverly by people they were “working” with.   Body slammed, if you will...

3 minutes ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

False

100% true.  

;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, T-Minus said:

What people need to grasp here is that the distribution of these songs has been done in such a way that a leak would be traceable to an individual rather than the collective.... it’s designed to pinser movement any one of them that try to share... the intentions may be good but they’ve been backed into a corner, cleverly by people they were “working” with.   Body slammed, if you will...

100% true.  

;)

You have no idea..

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

Just leak them. This is his calling, legend status. A community hero! 

for gods sake, not that way. if you do that, you'll have mgmt, label and cops after your dumb ass. if you'd have the stuff, you'd have to make sure it leaks absolutely anonymously, and in no way you can play a "hero". 

of course, this is a hard thing to imagine for many people who used their own money and effort and in the end they can't even say "hey, it was all liberated thanks to me!"

but that's unfortunately how things go.

if the stuff would leak anonymously, the shitstorm like this would never happen.