Hey guys, a couple questions, 

Does anyone know why the uncensored version of Live Era is no longer on YouTube, Spotify, etc.? It's only the censored version. Not a huge deal, just curious. 

Also, while I'm on the topic, does anyone know which show Axl was discussing people to "Step Back" and "People passing out and shit" before It's So Easy on Live Era? Is that Donnington? 

Surely the censored shit is cause everyone's a PC, walking on eggshells, pussy now.  There's more money in the GNR "BRAND" if they can sell it like Pink Floyd and Ramones shirts at Wal Mart.  All the offensive stuff will be scrubbed clean eventually.   One in a Million was just the start.

Apparently the bit on Live Era was either from the end of Brownstone in London 91, or the start of It's So Easy Paris 92.   Or who knows, maybe they just threw it in the middle of those songs from a random show.

No idea if it's from Donnington, cause I don't think I've ever heard the entire recording.

Donington audio....go to listen quick before that cuntsac has it taken down.

Edited by estrangedtwat
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Surely the censored shit is cause everyone's a PC, walking on eggshells, pussy now.  There's more money in the GNR "BRAND" if they can sell it like Pink Floyd and Ramones shirts at Wal Mart.  All the offensive stuff will be scrubbed clean eventually.   One in a Million was just the start.

Apparently the bit on Live Era was either from the end of Brownstone in London 91, or the start of It's So Easy Paris 92.   Or who knows, maybe they just threw it in the middle of those songs from a random show.

No idea if it's from Donnington, cause I don't think I've ever heard the entire recording.

Donington audio....go to listen quick before that cuntsac has it taken down.

Doesn't seem like it's from Donnington, so weird to randomly throw that into a live album... One of the best live bands ever, and they can't even put a decent album compilation of performances together..

8 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

I have Live era CD and I don't remember anyway Axl tells people to step back. It's the Donington show where the promoters tell Axl and Slash to talk to the crowd.

It is at the end of Brownstone - Axl's talking starts at 4:18 in after the song ends

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

It is at the end of Brownstone - Axl's talking starts at 4:18 in after the song ends

I put on the CD. It is there! Huh, It's been 10-15 years since I heard it. Wikipedia says it's London, UK Aug 31st 1991. But As estrangedtwat said It could have been from either show.

Edited by 31illusions

4 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Live Era is a shitty album. 

You're not wrong, but its got Dust N' Bones and a great version of You're Crazy, Paradise City, and Coma.. it's just got a shit ton of fuck ups by the band.. rerecorded vocals, cuts that don't make sense, shitty tracklist, loudness war volume issues, but unfortunately it's all we've got besides a few live tracks and the Tokyo show from the band officially..

Im just curious, and wondering if anyone has any more information about the topic specifically

Edited by UsedYourIllusion

3 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

it's just got a shit ton of fuck ups by the band.. rerecorded vocals, cuts that don't make sense, shitty tracklist, loudness war volume issues, but unfortunately it's all we've got besides a few live tracks and the Tokyo show from the band officially..

Don't forget the repetitive skip at the end of Paradise City. How a record company allows that to end up on the version approved for release is beyond me.

• Like 1

On 2019-07-21 at 11:36 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

Also, while I'm on the topic, does anyone know which show Axl was discussing people to "Step Back" and "People passing out and shit" before It's So Easy on Live Era? Is that Donnington? 

The recording of Brownstone on Live Era is taken from the show at Wembley Stadium, London, UK on 1991.08.31 (Apart from the vocals, but that goes without saying). The part where Axl is telling the crowd to back up is not from that gig or any other show we have any recordings of, that includes both soundboard and audience recordings.

To my ears it sounds like it was recorded in a room with a lot of natural reverb so we can probably rule out that the rant is re-recorded. But a recording from an indoor arena would most certainly make Axl's voice have that sound and a lot songs of Live Era are recorded at a show at Thomas & Mack Center, Las Vegas, NV on 1992.01.25 and that is a show that we have barely any non-Live Era recordings of (apart from Yesterdays and November Rain). Thomas & Mack Center is an indoor arena with a capacity of 15.000, a room like that would certainly give Axl's voice that reverb.

In other words, my educated guess is that the part on Live Era where Axl is asking the crowd to take a step back is from the 1992.01.25 show at Thomas & Mack Center, Las Vegas, NV.

• Like 4

Brownstone/Wembley91 is musically re-recorded (at least partly) aswell. Matt does a fill mistake in the beginning (to be seen on a "real live" clip from a tv report and also to be heard on audience recordings). That mistake is not on Live Era.

• Like 1

I think some parts of the songs were spliced together from different gigs like AC/DC's live album in '92. It still shocks me that Guns released a album in that kinda shitty quality, and I get for a live album to have a few overdubs, but why the entire vocal tracks on songs and remove a rhythm guitar. From being from GNR where a guy who wants perfect quality songs to a half assed production on a live album, makes zero sense. What I would've done I would've added Live and Let Die (The Live B Side), Civil War, Double Talkin Jive, Coma & a few others. I would've primarily used Paris 92 (Axl sounds great there), those few songs in Live Era that actually sound great (Yesterdays, Dust N Bones, Out Ta Get Me, You're Crazy, Used to Love Her). If Axl really wanted to "say goodbye to the old lineup" with that album, I'd also include Ain't Goin Down from the UYI sessions as a final track on there.

• Like 2

I always enjoyed Live Era and still do.. Not all the songs were messed with and I probably wouldn't have noticed any if it wasn't for this forum.. There is still some great stuff on there. Dust N' Bones, It's Alright, You're Crazy, Estranged Etc. are all great.. Hell, Rocket Queen still kicks my ass even without Gilby's track..

It could have been better.. Most bands of Guns stature have more tan one live album though.. Another one from the classic era would be great..  Or even two.. One from the Appetite Tour and one from the Skin N' Bones tour. 

• Like 3

I always assumed that the inclusion of the "step back" clip is a nod to the Donnington incident, since it seemed to effect them a lot, but that the actual audio is from a different show, a 90s one rather than Donnington.

Edited by Nice Boy

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

You mean the “Sweet Child (Live)” album listed as their latest release on Google? Just a bootleg, I’m sure.

yes ..that one...and other named wild horses !!! lately i see new albums everywhere

• Haha 1

I listen to Live Era more than any other Guns record, excluding Chinese. The only issue that I’d deem to fall under poor quality would be Patience. It’s by far the least audible song, the instruments sound so distant and no consistency with the crowd.

Everything else though, overdubs, synth instead of rhythm guitar and re-recorded vocals I am totally fine with. Axl sounds, at least to my ears, at the very very top of his game on those re-recorded takes. I’d love to hear what they done with the re-recorded Appetite.

• Like 1

With Live Era, I have mixed feelings about it.  On one hand, I really like Axl's re-recorded vocals even if it isn't truly the actual live performance from that song - his late 90's voice is a cool thing and honestly the vocals on YCBM are some of my favorite from Axl ever.  But I feel like the record didn't truly represent GNR live.  Steven Adler needed more representation for starters, as did the 86-88 era of GNR overall.  Imagine instead of the overly represented Tokyo 90's show that got spliced up on Live Era, we got My Michelle, Rocket Queen, and ISE from the Tokyo show You're Crazy came from

Your'e Crazy btw is amazing on this record, and coincidentally one of the few purely unaltered tracks on the entire album

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhazUp said:

With Live Era, I have mixed feelings about it.  On one hand, I really like Axl's re-recorded vocals even if it isn't truly the actual live performance from that song - his late 90's voice is a cool thing and honestly the vocals on YCBM are some of my favorite from Axl ever.  But I feel like the record didn't truly represent GNR live.  Steven Adler needed more representation for starters, as did the 86-88 era of GNR overall.  Imagine instead of the overly represented Tokyo 90's show that got spliced up on Live Era, we got My Michelle, Rocket Queen, and ISE from the Tokyo show You're Crazy came from

Your'e Crazy btw is amazing on this record, and coincidentally one of the few purely unaltered tracks on the entire album

Man You're Crazy is really good, if we could've got quality like that from every track, which i know we could have, it'd be my most listened to GN'R album by far. If it contained a lot more of their deeper cuts like Perfect Crime, The Garden, Bad Obsession, Double Talkin' Jive, Dead Horse, 14  years, I really think it could show what the band was capable of. This is what frustrates me with this band; we have more than enough material to maintain (at least for me) a healthy appetite for songs until a new album comes out, if one ever does, but it's locked away. The bootlegs we have of GN'R shows are the holy graill of live music for me, same thing with Pink Floyd shows.

Its still a mystery where the second part of Patience is from ( the electric part) Matt does a drum fill that dosent match any of the suggested ones online.

My guess is that its from a 1992 stadium show. Prehaps Houston??

Also Welcome is a mystery, ive seen online it being marked as Argentina 1992 the second show.

3 hours ago, rebeldhipi said:

Its still a mystery where the second part of Patience is from ( the electric part) Matt does a drum fill that dosent match any of the suggested ones online.

My guess is that its from a 1992 stadium show. Prehaps Houston??

Also Welcome is a mystery, ive seen online it being marked as Argentina 1992 the second show.

Patience sounds like the Tokyo '92 show to me personally

• Like 1

The drum fill at 5:25 is very different plus the tempo is alot slower on the Tokyo dvd. So even a drum overdub is not really an option.

In Live Era Axl dosent sing the ''just a little patience'' part, which he did on most shows. He does in Tokyo, but that could be a studio trick. Anyways that dosent explain the different tempo and drum fills