On 10/05/2020 at 20:39, History2010 said:

Essa voz é Izzy, não Robin.

This is very strange and it does not make sense for a re-recorded vocal and a normal support vocal, although nothing on this album sounds normal. When I hear the version of RIR III, for me it's the same thing as Finck, you will understand . That squeaky voice at every word he used to say. Damn ... I'm going crazy 

8 hours ago, Axlr0s37 said:

I'm in the minority that loves Live Era. 

Rocket queen is amazing, I like that gilbys guitar is missing makes slash's stand out and you can play the rhythm along with it (although very badly). Some great rough versions of tracks on there. 

Before the world of YouTube it was the only live example I had of GNR apart from my mums vhs of the freddie tribute concert. Could pretend to be axl with my makeshift axl style mic. 

Did you get the AFD 5.1 channel mixes for guitar practice? Track those down!

You get the slash track isolated and the izzy track -- very fun!

Edited by Ant

13 hours ago, DK6 said:

At least they came back to right all the wrongs with the outstanding "Appetite for Democracy" :blink:

Genuinely don't mind the AfD DVD. People hate on it but the performance is fine and the mix is really good.

The fact they put out an unedited show is insane, basically no band from around that time put out fully live (or unedited) vocals. So I commend that.

Elton John, Motley Crue, Hell even ACDC at the River Plate has redone vocals.

8 hours ago, Ant said:

I'd love to get those. I'm actually trying to learn how to play a lot of Slash's stuff these days, and most of the times I prefer to not use tabs. This would be very helpful.

18 hours ago, alangarcianr said:

I’m pretty sure appetite for democracy has some overdubs. Rocket Queen sounds weird

He’s definitely double tracked on certain parts, I’m not 100% that he overdubbed it because they could have pretty easily used another live performance or an edited version of the original vocal but there’s definitely Something going on.

30 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

He’s definitely double tracked on certain parts, I’m not 100% that he overdubbed it because they could have pretty easily used another live performance or an edited version of the original vocal but there’s definitely Something going on.

Think it's just the effects axl uses live (delay, reverb, echo etc).

Like in the end of rocket queen they use a very brief delay to 'double' the vocal live.

3 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

Think it's just the effects axl uses live (delay, reverb, echo etc).

Like in the end of rocket queen they use a very brief delay to 'double' the vocal live.

I can definitely here the effect to but there are certain lines where It sounds like two vocal tracks are ending at slightly different times. But hey I’m not an expert so I could be wrong but it sounds like double tracking to me.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 2:25 AM, Chris 55 said:

Was that Donnington? I thought it was someplace else-Axl mentioning house lights etc. 

I  don't think this recording of Axl talking was Donnington, although I am not quite sure what show it was flown in from

On 12/05/2020 at 3:11 AM, alangarcianr said:

I’m pretty sure appetite for democracy has some overdubs. Rocket Queen sounds weird

I always took it that it was an effect - I’m sure he did this randomly the past? Like the chorus on the album - there is an effect there too.

7 hours ago, axlvai said:

Bc was a demo.

Right, but since it was officially released as a single, and in a film, including the soundtrack, isn't it at that point, by definition, an official release? It was mixed and mastered. (Though poorly, arguably) Not sure if it would be considered a demo at that stage. An early version perhaps, as we know the band worked on the song since. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Right, but since it was officially released as a single, and in a film, including the soundtrack, isn't it at that point, by definition, an official release? It was mixed and mastered. (Though poorly, arguably) Not sure if it would be considered a demo at that stage. An early version perhaps, as we know the band worked on the song since. 

Exactly. I laughed when Axl used the demo excuse about OMG and I laugh whenever it's brought up.

I happen to love the song, but I get why many people don't. It just seems like Axl tried to use the demo excuse because a lot of people didn't. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Exactly. I laughed when Axl used the demo excuse about OMG and I laugh whenever it's brought up.

I happen to love the song, but I get why many people don't. It just seems like Axl tried to use the demo excuse because a lot of people didn't. 

OMG had to grow on me. A reworked version with Bucket (No Ron solos) would have been stellar.

On 12/05/2020 at 6:41 AM, Ant said:

I will thanks! I don't really bother all that much with the guitar nowadays. But would love to hear the isolated tracks 

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Two decades later and the excuses haven't gotten any better.

• GNFNR 1

Axl may have said Oh My God was a demo, but I find that very hard to believe.  He couldn't be talked into releasing a new album for 15 years and he had dozens of versions of those songs recorded, but he can easily be talked into a demo being the first official release for his band's new lineup?  I think Oh My God is a good song and very underrated, but if the initial reaction hadn't been so bad you'd never have heard Axl say that.

1 hour ago, WayTooManyOstriches said:

Axl may have said Oh My God was a demo, but I find that very hard to believe.  He couldn't be talked into releasing a new album for 15 years and he had dozens of versions of those songs recorded, but he can easily be talked into a demo being the first official release for his band's new lineup?  I think Oh My God is a good song and very underrated, but if the initial reaction hadn't been so bad you'd never have heard Axl say that.

Just look at the village cds, a lot of those songs sounded done in 1999, in fact a lot of people on the boards saying they should have just mixed & mastered rough mixes #1 and put that out as CD. But Axl’s definition of a demo is very different than you or I’s.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm building a live playlist from 2000 on based on soundboards and IEMs. If you all could help me, I would be grateful. I want an opinion about this:

1 - Do you prefer "November Rain" from KROQ Inland Invasion 2006 or Pittsburgh 2002? (focusing on Axl's vocals)

2 - Do you prefer "Mr. Browstone" from Boston 2002 or Columbus 2002? (focusing on Axl's vocals)

3 - Do you prefer "Estranged" from Rock in Rio 2011 or Apollo 2017? (focusing on Axl's vocals)

4 - Do you prefer "Paradise City" from Puerto Rico 2010 or Los Angeles 2011? (focusing on Axl's vocals)