Top 10 favorite horror films/ general horror discussion

So we kinda went off topic a bit in the Halloween thread, so I decided to make a thread dedicated to the topic of horror. For starters, how about everyone give their top 5 (or 10) films from the modern era of horror (70s-today).

70s

1. Halloween

2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

3. The Exorcist

4. The Omen

5. Dawn of the Dead

6. Amityville Horror

7. Omen 2

8. Carrie

9. Last House on the Left

10. Satanic Rites of Dracula

80s 

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street

2. Nightmare 3 Dream Warriors

3. Friday the 13th the Final Chapter

4. Evil Dead 2

5.  Friday the 13th 6 Jason Lives

6. Evil Dead

7. The Howling

8. Halloween 2

9. An American Werewolf in London

10. The Shining

HM: Amityville 2 the Possession, Night of the Demons, Halloween 4, Friday the 13th 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, Poltergeist 1 and 2, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 and 4, Childs Play, Hellraiser 1 and 2

The 80s is my favorite decade for horror

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

90s 

1. Blair Witch Project

2. Scream

3. Wes Craven's New Nightmare

4. Candyman

5. Halloween H20

6. The Silence of the Lambs

7. Scream 2

8. The Devils Advocate

9. The 9th Gate

10. Army of Darkness (although it's more fantasy/comedy, it's still a part of the Evil Dead franchise).

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

2000s

1. The Strangers

2. Paranormal Activity

3. Exorcism of Emily Rose

4. Friday the 13th remake

5. Dawn of the Dead remake

6. Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake

8. Texas Chainsaw Massacre the beginning

9. Drag me to hell

10. Saw

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

I don’t really like horror.

I did in my teens, but that was when that stuff was forbidden fruit in my house.

I am an admirer of psychological scares:

-The Changeling (probably scariest film ever. Stephen King and Scorsese agree with me).

-Poltergeist

-The Shining

-The Mothman Prophicies

-Hereditary

I will try to compile a list at a later date but briefly, Hitchcock's Psycho, Night of the Living Dead. Ring and a lot of Japanese and S. Korean horror such as a profoundly shocking film which will put you off dating for life, Audition. Too many films from the golden age of British horror, Hammer, etc. to count, especially when the cleavages and blood became more prominent. Italian Gialli: Tenebrae, Suspiria, etc. There are various Italian splatter films which I love such as Zombie Flesh Eaters, aka, Zombi 2. The staples, Halloween, Omen, Exorcist, Evil Dead of course. Don't forget where it all began, with Caliagri and Nosferatu

More recently I was really impressed with a film called The Witch (2015). That is probably the last great horror I watched. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

8 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

So we kinda went off topic a bit in the Halloween thread, so I decided to make a thread dedicated to the topic of horror. For starters, how about everyone give their top 5 (or 10) films from the modern era of horror (70s-today).

70s

1. Halloween

2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

3. The Exorcist

4. The Omen

5. Dawn of the Dead

6. Amityville Horror

7. Omen 2

8. Carrie

9. Last House on the Left

10. Satanic Rites of Dracula

80s 

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street

2. Nightmare 3 Dream Warriors

3. Friday the 13th the Final Chapter

4. Evil Dead 2

5.  Friday the 13th 6 Jason Lives

6. Evil Dead

7. The Howling

8. Halloween 2

9. An American Werewolf in London

10. The Shining

HM: Amityville 2 the Possession, Night of the Demons, Halloween 4, Friday the 13th 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, Poltergeist 1 and 2, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 and 4, Childs Play, Hellraiser 1 and 2

The 80s is my favorite decade for horror

Damn, you kind of nailed it for me with that list. There are of course others but that's a great list.

Edit: Night of the Demons was awesome, the character Stooge was hilarious and had a great line, "eat a bowl of fuck, I'm here to party."😄

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 1

1) A Nightmare On Elm Street/Dream Warriors 

2) The Devils Rejects

3) Halloween

4) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 

5) Dawn Of The Dead (Zack Snyder)

6) Halloween I & II (Rob Zombie)

7) IT (2017)

8) Friday The 13th

9) Child's Play

10) Scream

I love the genre. This list is just off the top of my head. I'd have to think hard if I wanted to compile my absolute favorites.

Edited by F*ck Fear

2 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

@DieselDaisy,

based upon our discussion in the other thread, I KNEW your pics without you posting them, lol. Hammer films, and the "classics." Nothing wrong with that, I just can tell where your "mind" is at. 😁

I mentioned a film from 2015, The Witch. You should watch it. The best horror I have seen in years. 

9 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Damn, you kind of nailed it for me with that list. There are of course others but that's a great list.

Edit: Night of the Demons was awesome, the character Stooge was hilarious and had a great line, "eat a bowl of fuck, I'm here to party."😄

I was wondering if anyone on here had seen Night of the Demons. Not the crappy remake made around 2004ish either, but the ORIGINAL one. Underrated 80s horror flick imo. The 2nd one isn't half bad either, the 3rd one is a crap fest though (if memory serves, I own 1 and 2 but not 3). 

Story time, lol. Back in the mid 80s or so (before I was allowed to watch horror movies), I could watch Godzilla. Well my local video store put the Godzilla films in the horror section, so I would see all these crazy movie long before I actually watched them. So I have very vivid memories of seeing the VHS boxes for films like Ghoulies, Sorority House Massacre, Sleepaway Camp, April Fools Day, etc. Its also where I first learned about Night of the Demons. If they had a cool box, I was interested. Well fast forward to the mid 90s and I was allowed to finally rent them, and boy DID I. Most were pretty disappointing (if I'm honest). Not Night of the Demons though (it actually scared me when I first saw it). The film actually borrowed quite a bit from Evil Dead, but I didn't know that at the time. As I said, I have since bought 1 and 2, I collect horror films). Although I dont get to watch those very often (my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm for them, lol). When I discuss 80s horror though, I ALWAYS include it!!!

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I mentioned a film from 2015, The Witch. You should watch it. The best horror I have seen in years. 

Thanks, I will keep my eyes open for it. That was one of my main reasons for starting this thread, to spread the word about films that maybe others haven't seen. 

As I just said on another post, I actually collect horror movies. I have a local store I go to and buy used DVDs (they are like 3 bucks a piece, and when you buy 3 you get 3 for free). So I go there and spend $30 and get like 20-25 movies. Which I was in there yesterday to be honest, and the guy said "you really like horror huh?" I already own all the "heavy hitters" (and have owned them for years). As a matter of fact I have all the Freddys, Jason, Michael Myers, Evil Deads on VHS as well (that's how long I've been collecting them). So I like finding movies I've never heard of, especially if they are good. 

I admit that that I dont typically enjoy the modern films as much as the older stuff. Not that there isn't some good ones out there, but there is also a TON of crap (especially on Netflix). Everyone talked about how good It Follows was... I was disappointed. I thought it was average at best. 

40 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Thanks, I will keep my eyes open for it. That was one of my main reasons for starting this thread, to spread the word about films that maybe others haven't seen. 

As I just said on another post, I actually collect horror movies. I have a local store I go to and buy used DVDs (they are like 3 bucks a piece, and when you buy 3 you get 3 for free). So I go there and spend $30 and get like 20-25 movies. Which I was in there yesterday to be honest, and the guy said "you really like horror huh?" I already own all the "heavy hitters" (and have owned them for years). As a matter of fact I have all the Freddys, Jason, Michael Myers, Evil Deads on VHS as well (that's how long I've been collecting them). So I like finding movies I've never heard of, especially if they are good. 

I admit that that I dont typically enjoy the modern films as much as the older stuff. Not that there isn't some good ones out there, but there is also a TON of crap (especially on Netflix). Everyone talked about how good It Follows was... I was disappointed. I thought it was average at best. 

Japan and South Korea have been leading the way on modern horror, I suppose since Ringu came out in the late '90s: Tale of Two Sisters, Audition, Old Boy - stuff like that.

- The Witch is a American-Canadian co-production by the way (don't want to confuse you there).

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I was wondering if anyone on here had seen Night of the Demons. Not the crappy remake made around 2004ish either, but the ORIGINAL one. Underrated 80s horror flick imo. The 2nd one isn't half bad either, the 3rd one is a crap fest though (if memory serves, I own 1 and 2 but not 3). 

Story time, lol. Back in the mid 80s or so (before I was allowed to watch horror movies), I could watch Godzilla. Well my local video store put the Godzilla films in the horror section, so I would see all these crazy movie long before I actually watched them. So I have very vivid memories of seeing the VHS boxes for films like Ghoulies, Sorority House Massacre, Sleepaway Camp, April Fools Day, etc. Its also where I first learned about Night of the Demons. If they had a cool box, I was interested. Well fast forward to the mid 90s and I was allowed to finally rent them, and boy DID I. Most were pretty disappointing (if I'm honest). Not Night of the Demons though (it actually scared me when I first saw it). The film actually borrowed quite a bit from Evil Dead, but I didn't know that at the time. As I said, I have since bought 1 and 2, I collect horror films). Although I dont get to watch those very often (my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm for them, lol). When I discuss 80s horror though, I ALWAYS include it!!!

Yeah, lol, before my family had a VCR I would go to the video store to see the cool boxes and check the cast and summary.  Btw, you can't mention Night of the Demons(original) without thinking about the lipstick scene.😄

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Yeah, lol, before my family had a VCR I would go to the video store to see the cool boxes and check the cast and summary.  Btw, you can't mention Night of the Demons(original) without thinking about the lipstick scene.😄

For sure!!!

When the old man puts the razor blades in the apples, I thought that was so messed up. But then his wife feeds them to him. 

They just don't make em's like that anymore.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Oh, I just assumed he was being sarcastic. 😄  That's really cool man, can you divulge anything about it?

I can give you the shorthand version. This is a psychedelic horror/surrealistic sci-fi movie that I decided to edit into 6 episodes. The whole thing is about an hour long.

The general plot is about a guy who is an alcoholic/drug abuser while one day hanging with his friends (they're drinkers but not to the extent of the main character) he finds a seance board. The female lead says she found it in a dumpster. So, as a joke, they (main, female, and her boyfriend) do a seance but nothing happens. At least that's what they think. The further into the night it goes, the main and female character screw. The combination of the sex act and the seance creates an alternate universe that exists out of time with different characters (White Mask, Red Mask, The Child) that are physical manifestations of themes, emotions, etc. BTW - episodes 2 & 3 happen on the same timeline

Basically it's about how people should not mess around with things they can't possibly never understand, whether it's spiritual or exploiting human weakness. I'll put this playlist here of what I have edited so far. I haven't put up episode 5 cause that is heavy on the spoilers. The shooting style and choice of sound designs is creepy but also very claustrophobic. This does rely on interpretation but not as a whole.

Keep in mind that this is low budget but I know how to work around it. One of the main reasons this has taken me almost 3 years to get to the point of where I am is I've had to do everything by myself. No crew or anything. Also because the other people I was using as the male and female co-leads weren't that good and the female could never get her personal shit together. Plus people dropped out of it causing me to rewrite the damn thing so many times I've lost count.

Funds I need are for securing a second shooting location, a semi-pro male/female leads, furniture and other decorations for the parts of the place (I'm gonna use a trailer for location) an extra camera and extra camera operator. I'm gonna have to do some sort of crowdfunding but it's not astronomical.  I'd say at least $5,000 should cover it.

Anyways enough of my babbling. Enjoy :)

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • GNFNR 1

As yet unmentioned:

70s: all the early Cronenberg and Argento gems, Patrick 

80s: Videodrome, Scanners, My Bloody Valentine, Sleepaway Camp (the sequels are all varying degrees of entertaining too), Hellraiser, Near Dark, Martin, The Stepfather, Basket Case

90s: Candyman, Shocker, Cronos, Audition, Body Bags, Demon Knight 

00s: Gingersnaps,  Let the Right One In, The Descent, May

10s: Stage Fright (it’s a Canadian slasher pic set at a musical theatre camp which is arguably the greatest film premise of all time, delightful and sadly under-seen), Cabin in the Woods, It Follows, Hounds Of Love, You’re Next