Top 10 favorite horror films/ general horror discussion

9 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

@DieselDaisy,

I watched The Witch tonight (it's on Netflix right now). It wasnt bad, not good enough to make my top ten for this decade though. 

I give it a 6.5/10 on my slasher scale 😁

I thought it was a marvelous film, delving into the isolation and Calvinist paranoia of colonial American life eventually climaxing in one of the best endings I have seen in a horror. 

On 26/07/2019 at 10:22 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

So we kinda went off topic a bit in the Halloween thread, so I decided to make a thread dedicated to the topic of horror. For starters, how about everyone give their top 5 (or 10) films from the modern era of horror (70s-today).

70s

1. Halloween

2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

3. The Exorcist

4. The Omen

5. Dawn of the Dead

6. Amityville Horror

7. Omen 2

8. Carrie

9. Last House on the Left

10. Satanic Rites of Dracula

80s 

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street

2. Nightmare 3 Dream Warriors

3. Friday the 13th the Final Chapter

4. Evil Dead 2

5.  Friday the 13th 6 Jason Lives

6. Evil Dead

7. The Howling

8. Halloween 2

9. An American Werewolf in London

10. The Shining

HM: Amityville 2 the Possession, Night of the Demons, Halloween 4, Friday the 13th 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, Poltergeist 1 and 2, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 and 4, Childs Play, Hellraiser 1 and 2

The 80s is my favorite decade for horror

You wouldn't have The Thing or The Fog in your 80s list? A couple of glaring omissions for me, both are hard to beat for pure atmosphere. I'd also give Lifeforce a mention for fans of naked space vampires.

Also, if including sci-fi horror, Alien and Aliens would be up near the top of my favourites from the 70s and 80s.

21 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

You wouldn't have The Thing or The Fog in your 80s list? A couple of glaring omissions for me, both are hard to beat for pure atmosphere. I'd also give Lifeforce a mention for fans of naked space vampires.

Also, if including sci-fi horror, Alien and Aliens would be up near the top of my favourites from the 70s and 80s.

I thought about putting the Thing in there, probably should have been in my HM. I DO like it, but if I'm honest I like the other ones I mentioned better. 

As for Alien, the question for me is "is it sci fi or horror?" Yes the original Alien DOES have a horror feel to it, but that's the only one in the franchise, the rest are clearly sci fi. Same goes for Predator (the first 2), more Sci fi then horror imo. Having said that, I have no problem with people including Alien as a horror film. Which if I'm honest, if I DID count it this would be my list.

1. Halloween 

2. Alien 

3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

4. The Exorcist

5. The Omen

6. Dawn of the Dead

7. Amityville horror

8. Omen 2

9. Carrie

10. Last house on the left

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I thought it was a marvelous film, delving into the isolation and Calvinist paranoia of colonial American life eventually climaxing in one of the best endings I have seen in a horror. 

Like I said, it wasnt bad. It DID remind me of The Wicker Man a bit, and I thought The Wicker Man was better. It also had a bit of a Blair Witch feel to it.

Have you seen Hereditary? That's one of the best horror films Ive seen in the last couple of years. Talk about an intense ending... I should have included it on my list tbh.

6 hours ago, Angelica said:

As yet unmentioned:

70s: all the early Cronenberg and Argento gems, Patrick 

80s: Videodrome, Scanners, My Bloody Valentine, Sleepaway Camp (the sequels are all varying degrees of entertaining too), Hellraiser, Near Dark, Martin, The Stepfather, Basket Case

90s: Candyman, Shocker, Cronos, Audition, Body Bags, Demon Knight 

00s: Gingersnaps,  Let the Right One In, The Descent, May

10s: Stage Fright (it’s a Canadian slasher pic set at a musical theatre camp which is arguably the greatest film premise of all time, delightful and sadly under-seen), Cabin in the Woods, It Follows, Hounds Of Love, You’re Next

I did mention Tenebrae and Suspiria. I could add a lot more though. 

5 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

The Fog was great, I even like it more than The Thing.  Another Carpenter movie that gets overlooked is Prince of Darkness.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

The Fog was great, I even like it more than The Thing.  Another Carpenter movie that gets overlooked is Prince of Darkness.  

Prince of darkness is my 2nd favorite Carpenter flick (after Halloween). His Vampires movie is pretty good as well (not one of his 5 best, but still pretty good imo).

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I honestly dont think Sleepaway Camp is all that good. The ending is truly shocking and disturbing (I'll give it that). But the majority of the film feels like a badly acted, written and directed F13 movie (and that's saying something considering how bad those films are considered by the general public). 

Dont get me wrong, I'm not bashing it, it's one of the better B or C list 80s horror films. I can't put it a head of ANY of the F13 or Halloween films though (even the bad ones). Jason goes to Hell and Halloween 5 get a lot of crap, and I still think they are miles better than Sleepaway Camp. But that's just my opinion 😃

1.Halloween

2.Friday the 13 parts 3, 4, 6, 7, 8

3.Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and 3

4.Child's play

5. Killer Klowns from outer space

6. Ghoulies 2

7. Frightnight original

8. The Conjuring 1 and 2

9. The Blob the original with Steve McQueen

10. The Exorcist

OMG! Yes, also The Fog. I think it's my all time favorite John Carpenter movie after halloween. 

Prince of Darkness it freaked me out.

I really have so many fave horror movies. So my list would go on and on!

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
more movies.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I did mention Tenebrae and Suspiria. I could add a lot more though. 

I also liked Shocker! Loved all the 80's music especially Paul Stanley singing "Shocker" lol

I recently watched it and thought how crazy funny it is!

I also watched a movie called "The Relic" last night on cable. It's such a cool movie. Based on a book by Preston and Childs. check it out if you like horror monsters! This one was very gross looking. Not to mention the killings!

1 hour ago, bucketfoot said:

Black Christmas

The Hills Have Eyes

The Beyond

Demons

The Return Of The Living Dead

Day Of The Dead

70s/80s really was the golden period for horror movies, too many to mention.

Oh yes, The Return of the Living Dead is awesome.  The only problem I have with it is that the final act turned really dark after a lighter tone had been set.  There are some hilarious parts and James Karen was great in it.

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Love that film. Criminally underrated. 

Totally agree.

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 1

The Mist (2007), saw it alone in an empty cinema at an ungodly hour in Poland of all places, maybe that's why I liked it.

The Ring (2002) 

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

The Others (2002)

The Fly (1986)

The Frighteners (1996)

Spice World (1997)

Edited by EvanG

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

The Mist (2007), saw it alone in an empty cinema at an ungodly hour in Poland of all places, maybe that's why I liked it.

The Ring (2002) 

The Others (2002)

The Fly (1986)

The Frighteners (1996)

Spice World (1997)

I see what you did there😁

Scary Spice would make a GREAT serial killer.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Gary Glitter was in that but he got edited out after the sex allegations came out so there's a horrific aspect for ya :lol:

I didn't know that, but it was their acting skills that made this one of the scariest movies of the 90's.

My dad had a buddy who owned a video store back in the 80's so most of my abiding horror memories are from that era. Anyway, in no particular order.

Nightmare on Elm Street 1-3

Fright Night (1985)

Salem's Lot (1979 TV movie)

The Exorcist

The Fly (1986)

An American Werewolf in London

Silver Bullet

Near Dark

The Monster Squad

The Blob (1988)

The Hidden (1987) not sure if it counts as a horror but it's awesome

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Oh yes, The Return of the Living Dead is awesome.  The only problem I have with it is that the final act turned really dark after a lighter tone had been set.  There are some hilarious parts and James Karen was great in it.

"Do you wanna paaaaaaarty!" "It's Party Time!" Haha!

That was the first horror I ever saw so it's nostalgic as fuck for me and would definitely be in my top ten.... if I could whittle it down to ten.... which I can't.

Here's a few more...

Re-Animator

Creepshow

Braindead

Wolf Creek

REC/REC 2

37 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Near Dark

Was just going to say that one as well, great film.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EvanG said:

The Ring (2002) 

The Others (2002)

The Fly (1986)

The Frighteners (1996)

Spice World (1997)

They should make a horror movie about you watching a horror movie alone in an empty cinema at an ungodly hour in Poland.😄