Duff McKagan Talks New Album Tenderness and Why Social Media and Cable News Are “Poisonous”

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Skim reading it, that will annoy some people here I suspect.

Yeah I read it.  Nothing groundbreaking.   No Guns talk.  Love Duff but he doesn’t say anything interesting.   But he gets a lifetime pass as he is the main reason Axl n Slash are back together again.  

Now that you’ve brought up your album Tenderness, I was curious about this part in your liner notes where you talk about your frustration of being told “stay in your lane” when it comes to discussing current events and politics. Does that feel counterintuitive to you given that you come from a punk rock background and punks are known for being outspoken about politics?

So did the hippies, and so did the bikers in the ’50s, and the Wobblies, and we can go back. 

The interviewer (whose too snide for my liking) finally gets us to a potentially interesting discussion, but Duff has to showcase his vast historical knowledge. Instead of chatting about that, Dr Duff informs us that social movements are political, lol. Yeah, no shit Duff (thats why he brought it up!). And then this had me laughing when he references the Wobblies :facepalm: Wobblies the nick name for the International Workers of the World! So an anarcho-communist international militant labour movement are vocal about politics? Weird right?? :lol:

I understand why a lot of fans have been critical about Duff lately but it was only a few short years ago that Duff was viewed as the MVP of Guns N' Roses in mending things with Axl and Slash.  I know the Izzy situation and how Duff has commented about it and other things has been divisive but I still appreciate Duff and I agree with him 100% about social media being poisonous.  Good things can come from social media but there's a lot of bad to it as well

• Like 4

I mean, the Punk as Fuck t-shirt were really cringey. Especially after seeing the video of him yacht-shopping with his wife. (Though, he has earned his own money fair and square.) But I don't have a problem with "woke Duff". I think it's okay. No need to hate the guy.

• Like 2

Duff is now like that history teacher you had in high school, who would join the yearly school trip and tell cringeworthy stories in order to simulate "being cool" to the kids.

"Tell us more, master gerard"

"Ok, one more then. You know what I once did? I once purposely forgot my swimming gear back when I was still a school kid, so I could skip swimming lessons. I was a real badass back then".

"wooow, you're the man, master gerard"

"yeah, you could say I was. And remember, don't start smoking kids. Smoking is bad for you"

Edited by action
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, action said:

Duff is now like that history teacher you had in high school, who would join the yearly school trip and tell cringeworthy stories in order to simulate "being cool" to the kids.

"Ok, one more then. You know what I once did? I once purposely forgot my swimming gear back when I was still a school kid, so I could skip swimming lessons. I was a real badass back then".

"yeah, you could say I was. And remember, don't start smoking kids. Smoking is bad for you"

And don't put salt in your eyes.

9 hours ago, action said:

PUNK AS FUCK

VanDriessen.jpg

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I watched it on AXS TV last night, I thought it was a really cool interview.   Duff's retelling of his road to sobriety is really harrowing,  you could tell Sammy was moved by it.  

Agree....also caught it last night. Loved the jam with both of them at the end. :headbang:

Duff is a really cool dude.  I had the good fortune of meeting him about 15 years ago.  He is down to earth, considering he is a world famous rock star, and had a great conversation with him.

Duff also helped bring Axl and Slash back together so that alone should shut most of the Duff haters - up.

Consider this, he is now a married family man in his mid-50's.  Don't expect him to act or talk like a 20 year old.  Things change, times change.  Duff still rocks though!

• Like 4

On 26. 07. 2019. at 11:53 PM, Original said:

Yeah I read it.  Nothing groundbreaking.   No Guns talk.  Love Duff but he doesn’t say anything interesting.   But he gets a lifetime pass as he is the main reason Axl n Slash are back together again.  

if his touch is so magical, he also deserves shit for Fortus/Ferrer/Mel standing under the GNR moniker instead of Iz/Gilb/Matt/Adler

• Like 3

For the past couple of months, I swear that whenever I come here expecting some cool news, all I see is Duff getting bashed on some random topic for no reason :lol:

Oh well, I'll try my luck again next month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1