[RUMOR] Next album coming early 2020 (GNRCentral as source)

48 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I never got to see the UYI line up in person, so I couldn't comment on that. But from watching clips it has a similar look, and the sound has changed a bit but it's not a million miles away from what what it was. Obviously now you have 2 guitar players who can play equally complicated lead lines, and a drummer with a different style but it's still rooted in the sane place.

I’d say NITL most closely resembles the UYI-era live show- but instead of Matt/Gilby/Teddy/Tracy n’ Roberta/976-horns/etc. you’ve got the massive video board/visuals (practically the “4th Member” up there), and Melissa’s backing vocals. In either case, a lot of heavy artillery backing “The Big Three”, so it does have a similar feel IMHO...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

I’d say NITL most closely resembles the UYI-era live show- but instead of Matt/Gilby/Teddy/Tracy n’ Roberta/976-horns/etc. you’ve got the massive video board/visuals (practically the “4th Member” up there), and Melissa’s backing vocals. In either case, a lot of heavy artillery backing “The Big Three”, so it does have a similar feel IMHO...

Even the stage design is similar. Basically a modern version (Screens instead of amps, screens on the stairs) with shorter runways on the wings. That change was probably because Axl would pass out if he ran end to end like he did on the UYI tour.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, betterman said:

What do we think about the writing credits for Hardschool/Jackie Chan and Atlas shrugged? 

ITs a bit of a punk vibe to Hardschool so maybe Rose/Stinson/Finck and the acoustics in Atlas might be Tobias so maybe Rose/Tobias/Finck

What do you think?

2 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

From personal experience I wouldn't discuss these sort of things as you may be warned for it.

I feel like we need to clarify our stance a little bit: We've always allowed discussion of leaks as far as I can remember and we haven't changed that stance now. 

Having said that, yes, we did lock the thread where everyone was discussing the how's & why's of these recent leaks. There was a ton of speculation going on about who had what, how they got it, who paid for it, who didn't and so on and so on. That's the only part of the discussion we don't want on the forum. It was quickly leading to people getting upset with other users over who might have what when all of it was more or less guesses on everyone's part. On top of that, it gets to be a grind for us to moderate when people start making insinuations about other users and suggesting actions that should be taken against them. Then we have to deal with the frequent attention seekers posting false "info" about fake leaks, which only confuses everyone further.

The only thing we've never allowed and will never allow is links to copyrighted material. I would assume everyone knows why we can't allow that, so I won't bother explaining that.

Having said that, I get confused by posts like the one above from @betterman. To my knowledge, the only legit leaks of new material that are out there are 20 or so seconds of Hard School, 3 studio quality seconds of Atlas and a minute or so of a poor cell phone recording of Atlas. So how on Earth could we have any sort of legit discussion about who wrote what given that such a small amount of each track is out there? 

• Like 2

On the subject of writing credits; I wonder if Slash and Duff are comfortable releasing an album where some, if not most, of the songs are written by Finckk, Tobias, etc.

agreeing to play songs from them live is one thing, but releasing “new” songs where the writing credits go to those guys, instead of themselves? I imagine that would feel at least a little weird for them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

On the subject of writing credits; I wonder if Slash and Duff are comfortable releasing an album where some, if not most, of the songs are written by Finckk, Tobias, etc.

agreeing to play songs from them live is one thing, but releasing “new” songs where the writing credits go to those guys, instead of themselves? I imagine that would feel at least a little weird for them.

I was thinking that too but I'd bet they'd get but on the credits, especially if they reworked the tracks

6 minutes ago, hally187 said:

There is also the recent 32 second 'track 9' leak, only a cell phone recording - doesn't seem like anyone is talking about it here?

I assume you're referring to the well known fake that people are trying to pass off as real again. 

7 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I was thinking that too but I'd bet they'd get but on the credits, especially if they reworked the tracks

That's my guess too. It's funny, but one of the things I'm looking forward to the most about a new album is how humorous the credits for each song will be.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I hope you don't think me getting trolled into believing a fake leak and therefore wanting to share it(thus pissing me off further and making me look rather foolish) was some kind of attention seeking scheme lol.

Not referring to you, no. That's what I'm talking about though: the situation is already confusing enough without people trying to confuse you and others into thinking other leaks are real. 

16 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Wasnt there a story that the guys who worked on those tracks kinda got paid-off and waivered their rights? Or was just regarding the contracts that prohibits them to talk to press about inner GNR workings. 

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I assume you're referring to the well known fake that people are trying to pass off as real again. 

That's my guess too. It's funny, but one of the things I'm looking forward to the most about a new album is how humorous the credits for each song will be.

If this is a fake then it is a remarkably good one.  Lyrics start with (my interpretation) "I don't know what you're proud of when you're only looking eyes".

1 minute ago, hally187 said:

If this is a fake then it is a remarkably good one.  Lyrics start with (my interpretation) "I don't know what you're proud of when you're only looking eyes".

Yep, that's fake. We've had several threads on that here in the past. Here's the last time the real artist behind that clip was discussed:
http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/222320-fake-gnr-2019-leak-found-on-youtube/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yep, that's fake. We've had several threads on that here in the past. Here's the last time the real artist behind that clip was discussed:
http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/222320-fake-gnr-2019-leak-found-on-youtube/

:facepalm:

Anyway, wow!  The guy does have an amazing voice. Gonna buy his album when he releases it, closest thing to new Axl vocals we're gonna get for a while :lol:

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, LovelessNL said:

Wasnt there a story that the guys who worked on those tracks kinda got paid-off and waivered their rights? Or was just regarding the contracts that prohibits them to talk to press about inner GNR workings. 

If they haven’t been paid off yet, I can totally see them getting paid off now.

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

“but on the credits”...? Me no understanding. :P

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

If it provides enough of a ground swell where they can keep playing stadiums it would be worth it. Those paydays would make up for whatever they’d lose on the backend from royalties. The perception outside of the forums would be those are Slash/Axl songs. I would also suspect they’d get a small writing credit if they rework the songs in some fashion to make them look more involved 

1 hour ago, LovelessNL said:

Highly doubt it. That’s not how the band has ever operated or really how copyrights work. There’s been outside writers on every album. They also included everyone imaginable on CD 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lukepowell1988 said:

That whole thread just exploded and me being the sarcastic cunt I am had to pull fun of it all I can't help it sometimes .... 

Anyway just trying to make sure the forum Newbies don't go making the errors I have previously made.

:lol: all good.

It just seemed like a good place to clarify that we are NOT trying to say people can't discuss leaks :)

Slash and Duff were fine recording Don't Damn Me, November Rain and Back Off Bitch without any writing credits. I don't see that much a difference now. To me the question is if they would be willing do that for the vast majority of an album. 

And I'm still laughing at the argument about Gilby. The guy was almost inaudible on the Illusions tour, didn't create anything with the band and still, people think he is more "worthy" than Fortus. Guess the actual writing skills and playing abilities are not the priority here.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Does the name Teddy Zig Zag ring a bell? lmao.

Hyperbole is very strong with this one

Teddy wasn't part of any of the Rio '91, Paris '92,  Buenos Aires '93, Saskatoon '93 shows he mentioned. . He really wasn't ever needed and gladly  was only onstage for a few song a show.. Much like the backup singers. 

Edited by Tom-Ass

39 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Gilby certainly was audible during the Illusions tours. He does have songwriting writing skills as displayed on Pawnshop Guitars (which featured Axl, Slash, Duff, Matt and Dizzy) and a little in the first Snakepit album. He also got along with everyone. He wasn't a guitar virtuoso but his style meshed very well with Slash. He could also sing good backup vocals which was huge. Gilby was a huge part in making those acoustic sets during the Skin N' Bones tour work and sound so good and full. 

Fortus might be more technically proficient but at times his playing style mixes with Slash like oil and water.  Technically good yes, but he also sounds like a million other session guitarists out there and adds nothing special. When you have Slash, you really don't need a second guitarist showing off his technical skills. 

Agreed about Gilby. He is underrated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Teddy wasn't part of any of the Rio '91, Paris '92,  Buenos Aires '93, Saskatoon '93, Buenos Aires '92, Tokyo '92 shows he mentioned. . He really wasn't ever needed and gladly  was only onstage for a few song a show.. Much like the backup singers. 

He was at Paris '92 and Tokyo '92 I think for Bad Obsession. They had Tracy n Roberta and the horns too.

Edited by MaskingApathy

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Having said that, yes, we did lock the thread where everyone was discussing the how's & why's of these recent leaks. There was a ton of speculation going on about who had what, how they got it, who paid for it, who didn't and so on and so on. That's the only part of the discussion we don't want on the forum. It was quickly leading to people getting upset with other users over who might have what when all of it was more or less guesses on everyone's part. On top of that, it gets to be a grind for us to moderate when people start making insinuations about other users and suggesting actions that should be taken against them. Then we have to deal with the frequent attention seekers posting false "info" about fake leaks, which only confuses everyone further.

Don't get me wrong, it was the right decision as discussion shouldn't get personal like that, but to be fair, the guy did broadcast exactly who he was, what he had and how he got it, so you can't blame people for getting rubbed up the wrong way when it all came to nothing.

27 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Don't get me wrong, it was the right decision as discussion shouldn't get personal like that, but to be fair, the guy did broadcast exactly who he was, what he had and how he got it, so you can't blame people for getting rubbed up the wrong way when it all came to nothing.

I totally get that. We hid a lot of things where people were getting out of line, though. 

In any case, we don't need to discuss the people involved anyway at this point. I just wanted to clarify that we haven't changed our stance about discussing leaks. Feel free to discuss away :)

8 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Gilby certainly was audible during the Illusions tours. He does have songwriting writing skills as displayed on Pawnshop Guitars (which featured Axl, Slash, Duff, Matt and Dizzy) and a little in the first Snakepit album. He also got along with everyone. He wasn't a guitar virtuoso but his style meshed very well with Slash. He could also sing good backup vocals which was huge. Gilby was a huge part in making those acoustic sets during the Skin N' Bones tour work and sound so good and full. 

Fortus might be more technically proficient but at times his playing style mixes with Slash like oil and water.  Technically good yes, but he also sounds like a million other session guitarists out there and adds nothing special. When you have Slash, you really don't need a second guitarist showing off his technical skills. 

No, he was barely audible for most of the time. Wasn't his fault, Slash was always way higher in the mix. But then again, he simplified Izzy's rythm guitar work in a lot of songs (just listen to any Rocket Queen of that era). So yeah, I'm not talking about being a virtuoso, keep that in mind. His "style" didnt mesh with Slash like Izzy, as he was more into playing power chords. And  I'm aware that he had to learn everything in two weeks or so, but he had years to get his parts right after that. 

And again, I was talking about songwriting with the band. The GNR members in Pawnshop Guitars didnt write with him. Snakepit's Its 5 O Clock Somewhere is not a GNR album, and as far as I remember, he wrote like one song for that album (of course, it was a Slash album afterall). 

Agreed about Fortus sounding like ohter session guitarists, but at least he plays pretty much what Izzy wrote in the old songs. I get you dont want another member sharing leads with Slash, but this is about songwriting, right? So again, IMHO, Gilby is no better than Fortus. Maybe not worse either. 

I'm not sure you are really talking about Gilby as a musician or just how he looks better with Slash back in the day. Although your post got more likes than mine, so I guess I'm in the minority here.

• Like 1

I don't understand why people think that just because Izzy was the first rhythm guitarist with Slash that's he's better than any others that came after (Gilby). I think Gilby was a great fit, as was Dave Kushner and as is Frank Sidoris. 4tus though, no imo. Too much showboating and not staying in his lane.

• Like 2