The Irishman

Silent Jay

I don't think there are too many films of his I dislike, one of the few filmmakers to occupy that place. I even love forgotten curios like the exploitation glory that is Boxcar Bertha as well as the black-comedy After Hours and period romance piece Age of Innocence. Silence was also a brilliant film, my favourite of his ''religious trilogy'' (Last Temptation and Kundun being the other two). Wolf of Wall Street was probably an one I found weaker - I recently re-watched it - yet I still couldn't fail to be pulled-in by the baroque brilliance of it. Probably if I was going to select two films I didn't care for it would be New York, New York and Shutter Island, although even they have their redeeming qualities. He is probably the greatest living American filmmaker who is still producing films that are somewhere near his best. 

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

From interviews I've seen with him, Connery was over the whole Bond thing more than 40 years ago. He got tired of it I think.

you are not correct. One of his last big projects was the "from russia with love" video game which he provided the voice, sometime in the 2000s.

it seems to me, connery is more than happy to help with bond products, if they find a way to bypass his age. But who am I fooling here. I guess he's just too old :( 

Edited by action

14 minutes ago, action said:

you are not correct. One of his last big projects was the "from russia with love" video game which he provided the voice, sometime in the 2000s.

it seems to me, connery is more than happy to help with bond products, if they find a way to bypass his age. But who am I fooling here. I guess he's just too old :( 

yeah, but I meant the bond movies, to lend your voice to a video game must not be the same as acting in a bond movie. I agree he is too old, he's 89 years old.

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

yeah, but I meant the bond movies, to lend your voice to a video game must not be the same as acting in a bond movie. I agree he is too old, he's 89 years old.

as long as he can walk, talk and drink faux martinis, technology could take care of the rest

I think the most quietly powerful scene in the movie was seeing the extremely old Pesci who couldn't eat bread anymore because he didn't have the teeth. Just seeing an idol - an icon like Pesci like that, so vulnerable and crusty, it's heartbreaking to know guys like him go that way...just like the rest of us. 

Then that little comment he makes to DeNiro before his curtain call ("I'm going to church - don't laugh!") is one of the funniest and saddest comments on death i've ever heard.

On 2019-12-01 at 9:06 PM, Rovim said:

De Niro's blue contacts were ridiculous and when someone called him a kid early in the movie when he looked like a 50 year old man was funny.

Yeah, that was pretty laughable.  Reminded me of when Danny Devito in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia when they did his character's backstory.  

On 12/1/2019 at 9:20 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I don't think there are too many films of his I dislike, one of the few filmmakers to occupy that place. I even love forgotten curios like the exploitation glory that is Boxcar Bertha as well as the black-comedy After Hours and period romance piece Age of Innocence. Silence was also a brilliant film, my favourite of his ''religious trilogy'' (Last Temptation and Kundun being the other two). Wolf of Wall Street was probably an one I found weaker - I recently re-watched it - yet I still couldn't fail to be pulled-in by the baroque brilliance of it. Probably if I was going to select two films I didn't care for it would be New York, New York and Shutter Island, although even they have their redeeming qualities. He is probably the greatest living American filmmaker who is still producing films that are somewhere near his best. 

Another overlooked one is Bringing Out The Dead.  I thought Gangs fell a little flat for a Scorsese picture (DDL performance aside).

30 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Another overlooked one is Bringing Out The Dead.  I thought Gangs fell a little flat for a Scorsese picture (DDL performance aside).

Gangs of New York is good but there was something a little lacking. Bringing Out The Dead is a film I saw originally at the pictures but haven't managed to watch since; I seem to remember it being good, but it has the misfortune of starring Nicholas Cage!!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Gangs of New York is good but there was something a little lacking. Bringing Out The Dead is a film I saw originally at the pictures but haven't managed to watch since; I seem to remember it being good, but it has the misfortune of starring Nicholas Cage!!

Ok, that was good I have to admit.

13 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I wonder if Nicolas Cage will ever reclaim his status of being a mediocre actor. 

• Haha 1

It does make De Niro look a little rosey, as if he has had too much stage make-up applied!

Still, you're noticing this stuff because you're watching out for it - I was literally analysing De Niro's face. If you stuck the film on for someone who wasn't aware of the de-aging, and wasn't aware that those three actors are not the age they're supposed to be, they wouldn't notice anything. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

It does make De Niro look a little rosey, as if he has had too much stage make-up applied!

Still, you're noticing this stuff because you're watching out for it - I was literally analysing De Niro's face. If you stuck the film on for someone who wasn't aware of the de-aging, and wasn't aware that those three actors are not the age they're supposed to be, they wouldn't notice anything. 

Agreed. I think the de-aging was very well done.  I’m still only two and a half hours in but I’ve really enjoyed it so far. 

• 4 weeks later...