A timeline for the reunion

Back in 2016 we all wanted to know how the return of Slash and Duff came about, but they never really talked about it in-depth. Lately some interviews to members and ex members came out to shed a little more light on the matter. Seems the seeds of the reunion were planted back in 2014, when Duff replaced Tommy for the south american shows and the Golden Gods Awards, and I gathered here a bunch of quotes that help to piece the events together. Also, DJ Ashba confirmed that when he announced his resignment, he already knew Slash was coming back. Still no idea how things played out with Tommy, but parts of his 2016 Billboard interview might imply that he was asked to leave so Duff could return full time. If you remember any other quotes that would make this list more detailed, feel free to post them and I'll add it here for easier consulting.

I let the band members & crew know I was leaving on March 1, 2014, soon as we met for the first rehearsal for the tours.  I offered to help with finding my own replacement, offered suggestions and to train whoever it would be so they'd be 'show ready', and finished all booked shows. During the tours I started hearing rumblings about the 2016 plans (from crew/other).

Bumblefoot, YouTube comment to his Loudwire video interview in 2016

I was in Australia with the Walking Papers when I got this call: “Could you do these shows? Axl’s in a pickle.” I thought about it a lot. I called Slash and said: “I think I’m gonna do this. He’s in a bind, man, and I'd do it for you.”

Duff, Classic Rock Magazine interview, May 2019

What Duff does is what Duff does. It doesn't really concern me," said Slash. "Duff's relationship with Axl is different to mine. That call to me is just not going to happen."

Not that Slash has a problem with McKagan playing with the band again. "I don't judge Duff. He's cool," he insisted. "He just has a way more amicable, neutral relationship with Axl than I do."

Slash, Ultimate Classic Rock, April 2014

So I went and did it, five or six shows. The best part was Axl and I got a chance to talk and hang. And playing those songs, it was like putting on a pair of comfortable boots. It was pretty epic.

Duff told us that it's been a great experience for him to play with Guns again.
It went really well. He worked really hard on the parts and he liked playing the newer songs from Chinese. And you know, it's pretty funny because we'd go to talk about certain things from Illusions, and there's things he doesn't remember, there's things I don't remember. We kind of finish some of each other's memories sometimes. And the Duff that played these shows with us isn't really the Duff that I knew from what I'd call "Old Guns" or the Appetite lineup or the Illusions lineup. [...]

It was great to see and hear you and Duff pairing up on the vocals in "It's So Easy," just like in the old days.
That was a fun thing about some of these shows. Because there's also things like that little line in "Civil War" "Peace could last forever." Duff wrote that line, and he sings it. And I've always been a fan of Duff's voice. There's a punk element to it and a sincerity to it. I like hearing it.

Do you think you and Duff will do more work together?
It's possible. I don't know yet. It depends on scheduling, or what shows Tommy [Stinson] wants to do with the Replacements and stuff like that. And you know, almost everybody in the band has some kind of issue going on, personally. There's people who have lost family members. Other people are dealing with separations. Sometimes court gets in the way. Real life!

Axl, Revolver Magazine, May 2014

We realised: this is just two of us, and it has that old kind of nasty swing to it. And, you know, one thing led to another, Axl called Slash, and the three of us started talking.

"[Rose and I] haven't really talked in a long time. But a lot of the tension that you were talking about has dissipated," Slash said. "We don't have all those issues anymore. There's not a lot of controversy. It's something that's more perpetuated by the media than anything."

Slash, CBS, May 2015

Speaking to Aftonbladet TV in Sweden, where Slash was making a special appearance on Friday (August 21) for a launch event for the Marshall London phone, the guitarist said of his restored relationship with Axl: "It was probably way overdue, you know. But it's…. you know, it's very cool at this point. You know, let some of that, sort of, negative… dispel some of that negative stuff that was going on for so long."

Asked if his warmer relationship with Axl will lead to a reunion of GUNS N' ROSES' classic lineup, Slash said: "Oh, I couldn't answer that one, though…" Pressed on why that is, Slash replied: "All right, let's get off the subject, 'cause, you know, that's an old one."

Slash, Aftonbladet, August 2015

Can you clear up exactly how all of this happened? What were your first conversations with Axl like?
Yeah, I know everybody wants to ask me stuff like that, but in the Guns N’ Roses world, I’ve found that . . . I’d just rather not even get into it. Because at this point, it’s like, Guns N’ Roses is, and that’s basically all that really needs to be said. I don’t like to get into the dynamics of how . . . ’cause it always gets misconstrued. And the superficial stuff that people want to look into, it always seems to rise to the surface; and it’s hard to get away from that after years and years and years of being that band that had, uh, that kind of media dynamic going on. So, I just sort of avoid it.

I mean, obviously you don’t want to say anything to knock this all off course . . .
I’m not worried about fucking it up. I just don’t think that there’s really any information that is necessarily important. The fun of this has just been playing, not talking to the press. And it’s been great! There’s really nothing . . . it’s been something that I definitely would have bet against. . . . Having Axl and I get back together and sort of work out our differences and start moving forward, was sort of a shock. . . . And it’s been really a wonderful experience, and I’ve been having really a great time with it, and everybody’s been getting along great. And the fuckin’ fans have been amazing. And it’s just sort of a blessing to have it go that way, you know, especially a band that’s been around – or not around, depending on, you know, all the different lineup changes and all that kind of stuff — for so long. So, it’s been really nice to be riding this wave.

Your old friend Marc Canter suggested there is some connection between your recent divorce and your ability to reconcile with Axl.
No, it had nothing to do with — neither one had anything to do with the other. At least on my end, y’know.

Slash, Rolling Stone interview, August 2018

Marc Canter, Slash's best friend, has revealed how it was bassist Duff McKagan who hammered out a peace settlement - after Slash split from his wife.

Duff, he says, was the only person who spoke to both the warring ex-bandmates and could lead them to a peace settlement. But he said one of the key elements fell into place after Slash split from his wife Perla Ferrar in 2014, 13 years after they married. Ferrar managed Slash's career and held executive posts in all of his companies, but the pair divorced in January last year. Axl, he says, felt that Ferrar was 'controlling' and her presence was a key obstacle to any reunion. 'Perla was out of the picture and Axl didn't like Perla and the way she controls things,' Canter, 51, said.

It opened the way for McKagan to make peace. Canter said: 'Duff was a big part in getting them back together. He was working with Axl again and is a good middle man. There was no-one else who communicated with Slash and Axl. 'When Axl was venting about Slash, Duff was able to help him see things through Slash's eyes.' 

And Canter says that Duff has been instrumental in several business deals over the years. 'Axl put a live DVD out a couple of years ago that needed Slash's permission because it was the old songs,' he recalls. 'Before that Slash would never sign off and Axl would never sign off if Slash wanted music. 'Duff was somehow able to finagle Slash to sign off on that. Soon after that Axl signed off on one for Slash for Live at the Roxy. That was a sign of some kind of truce. 'So the the old partnership was working together but not talking. Then they started licensing music for movies because, before, they weren't doing that, because that requires all their signatures.'

Marc Canter, Daily Mail, April 2016

“It had a lot to do with Paul Tollet of Coachella. He started talking about it, it seemed real, so at that point, I just told my people that they could go ahead and start talking to people, and see what’s going on. As it became more real, I texted Fernando and asked for Slash’s number. Then Fernando texts his Mom and is like: ‘If this is a joke, I’m going to kill you.'”

Slash was on tour so it took some time to the meeting. Slash and Axl finally met in October 2015.

“I called Slash but he was on tour or something. We set up when we were going to see each other, something happened to both of our plans, and that didn’t happen. Eventually in October we got together and had dinner at my house.”

“Then it was just kind of talking and planning. Initially we were going to do some kind of promos and stuff, then other things came up that got in the way of that. Then there were rehearsals, we went down to rehearsal, and everything just sounded right, and we went to work.”

Axl, Globo interview, September 2016 

“The reunion was always a possibility because Axl [Rose] was open-minded to it," said Mercuriadis. "All he ever wanted was for Slash to apologise for certain things and while Slash was in a position where he maybe didn’t understand that was what was necessary, then the band were never going to come together. 

"But at some point it was inevitable that they would have that conversation and Slash would be able to have his say, because there were things that he wasn’t happy about."

[...]

"Axl was always protective of Slash and the other guys in Guns N’ Roses," said Mercuriadis, who stars on the cover of the latest issue of Music Week. "There were just certain things that he wanted to be put right. They obviously figured out how to put them right and it’s been incredibly successful.”

Merck Mercuriadis, Music Week interview, April 2019

Slash: You know, over all that period of time, there was a lot of bad feelings, from the break up up into - all throughout, that whole 20 years, whatever it was.  [...]  But there is also a part of you, that’s like in a marriage, where you love somebody, you know, so there is always that feeling, but then there is all this negative stuff, and -

Nikki Sixx: Which by the way comes from a lot of people.  

Slash: Well, there was so much stuff perpetuated in the media and just blown up out of proportion. So when he and I talked for the first time, it was really, really cool. 

-Was it in person? 

Slash: Yeah, that was...  No, first time we spoke was on the phone, and then we got together when I got back into town, because I was on the road. I was in Peru, I remember it specifically. But it was very cathartic [...] to physically talk, ‘cause I mean there’s a bond you have that it’s never, you know - [...]  And then it makes the break up - I mean what happened, it’s just - the bond makes the negative side that much worse, because you’re forced out of it. Anyway, so when we got together and played, it was Coachella. It was just fuckin’ awesome. And we played the Troubadour, it was the first gig that we did. And so it just snowballed from there. 18 months... I mean I would never, you know - If you talked to me 20 months ago, I would have said ‘No fucking way. It’s not ever gonna happen.’ But it did, and it was fuckin’ awesome.  

Slash, Sixx Sense, December 2017

"That was something that came totally out of the blue, totally unexpected. We talked and managed to alleviate some of this negativity that had been brewing. 

“Not between us,” he stresses, “because we had never actually spoken. It was sort of perpetuated through the media and stuff, and it just became a running thing – the biggest rivalry or whatever. So it was really nice to talk.” 

Slash, Classic Rock Magazine, August 2018

We talked about everything, the reasons I left in 1996, the people who had put us against each other. It was good to realise that there weren’t problems anymore as complicated and huge as what the press was saying. 

Slash, Le Parisien, January 2019

Asked about his July 2015 announcement that he was leaving GUNS N' ROSES, Ashba said: "It's one of those things where I knew Slash was coming back, which, as a fan… You've gotta understand — I'm a fan; I'm incredibly excited. Number one, I played a lot of the Slash parts, so I didn't have the brain capacity to relearn three and a half hours' worth of music differently. But more than that, if he's coming back, this is his gig. I gladly stepped… I was, like, 'Hey…' And it was the best of both worlds, because I get my favorite band back and I get to go play in a band called SIXX:A.M. that I helped create, so it was just a win-win for me. And I'll always cherish the times I had. But, yeah, I gladly stepped back."

Back in 2016, Ashba claimed that he was approached about being part of GN'R's "Not In This Lifetime" tour, but that he declined, citing his desire to pursue SIXX:A.M. full time.

DJ Ashba, Blabbermouth quoting VegasJunkeez video interview, July 2019

Now 48, Tommy has been playing bass with Rose in Guns N’ Roses since 1998. Even before rumors started flying a few weeks ago about the late ’80s lineup of GNR getting back together, though, he said his status in the group was up in the air. His last GNR gig was April 2014 in Las Vegas.

“I reach out once in a while to that crew of people — a lot of whom are also my good friends — but I really have no idea what’s going on,” he said, clarifying at least this much: “I didn’t quit the gig or walk away from it. We just all sort of left it in Vegas.”

Tommy Stinson, Star Tribune, September 2015

January 5, 2016 – Upholding a three-decade tradition of breaking ground, creating trends, and forever changing the face of rock ‘n’ roll, Guns N’ Roses announce the most significant and anxiously awaited musical event of this century. Founder Axl Rose and former members Slash and Duff McKagan will regroup to headline the CoachellaMusic & Arts Festival (April 15-17 & April 22-24)—as announced last night!

For months, critics and audiences alike have generated immense excitement and speculation over the possible regrouping of the iconic line-up. The April performances will mark the first time since 1993 the Gunners will share the stage for what is certain to be an explosive event.

Band Press Release, January 2016

Coachella had been offering us every year since it started in 1999. We tested the waters with two concerts and then three club shows. We had a great time, Axl was perfect, so continuing was the obvious thing to do.

Slash, Le Parisien, January 2019

“We just had a fucking insane blast doing it,” says Slash, “that, you know, one thing led to another and the next thing you know we had booked a leg of a tour, and it just kept adding up and adding up.” And now that little get-together is the fourth biggest tour of all time.

“It’s been quite a fucking positive experience,” he nods.

Slash, Classic Rock Magazine, August 2018

[Stinson] bears no ill will toward GN'R's reunion with founding members Slash and Duff McKagan; McKagan, in fact, subbed for Stinson during 2014 when the Replacements reunion schedule conflicted with GN'R shows in South America. "It was a really good run for me with them and I've seen two of those shows since and saw everyone and made peace with it," Stinson says. "It's part of my life that is over, and I couldn't be more thankful for it. It was a great run. I made money and they kept me out there doing stuff. A lot of my friends are still in that band, and I'm glad for them."

Tommy Stinson, Billboard interview, August 2016

Axl: I hope to keep this [the reunion] going for a quite a while. It's just really- we're right now- it's all good. I mean obviously that could just explode. But no, everything is actually good between everybody so as long as we can keep it going we probably will.

[...]

Axl: [...] I do want to put out more music with Guns n' Roses and I don't know if that has to do with Slash or not but underneath Guns n' Roses thing (?) and if he and I write something or if he wants to play on something we have it's like that'd be great.I have been working to get where things are. This isn't- the Guns n' Roses reunion hasn't happened by chance or whatever… it was always looked at as a possibility but it just never seemed right or felt right.

Axl Rose, China Exchange, June 2016

Edited by Twinaleblood
  • Like 3

I don't know why, but the formatting of the post came out all messed up and I can't seem to be able to edit it in a readable way. Can't remove those empty lines and those numbers. If a mod can help, it would be much appreciated.

Edited by Twinaleblood

I don't think Tommy was asked to leave. I think it was a case of, you are welcome to go off and do solo stuff but if it's getting in the way of the big machine then something has got to give and it won't be the gnr plans.

He was really busy with the replacement reunion and I remember Axl saying there was some other personal issues that Tommy was dealing with (couldn't begin to find that quote). I just don't think that he was in a good place by the end of his run with the band. I remember watching live videos and the guy looked all red and bloated in the face. Now, maybe Axl was misquoted? So I can't say all that for sure but it looked that way! 

Hadn't seen the 2019 quote from Duff saying one thing led to another!

2 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

“Then it was just kind of talking and planning. Initially we were going to do some kind of promos and stuff, then other things came up that got in the way of that. Then there were rehearsals, we went down to rehearsal, and everything just sounded right, and we went to work.”

Axl, Globo interview, September 2016 

I wonder what would be these "some kind of promos and stuff". For what, just the Coachella gig?

11 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I wonder what would be these "some kind of promos and stuff". For what, just the Coachella gig?

I'd say either for Coachella or a sort of big announcement for the reunion was planned. Maybe a press conference with the Big 3, something like that.

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't think Tommy was asked to leave. I think it was a case of, you are welcome to go off and do solo stuff but if it's getting in the way of the big machine then something has got to give and it won't be the gnr plans.

He was really busy with the replacement reunion and I remember Axl saying there was some other personal issues that Tommy was dealing with (couldn't begin to find that quote). I just don't think that he was in a good place by the end of his run with the band. I remember watching live videos and the guy looked all red and bloated in the face. Now, maybe Axl was misquoted? So I can't say all that for sure but it looked that way! 

Hadn't seen the 2019 quote from Duff saying one thing led to another!

Wasnt it about tommy having a kid to look after?

4 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

Back in 2016 we all wanted to know how the return of Slash and Duff came about, but they never really talked about it in-depth. Lately some interviews to members and ex members came out to shed a little more light on the matter. Seems the seeds of the reunion were planted back in 2014, when Duff replaced Tommy for the south american shows and the Golden Gods Awards, and I gathered here a bunch of quotes that help to piece the events together. Also, DJ Ashba confirmed that when he announced his resignment, he already know Slash was coming back. Still no idea how things played out with Tommy, but parts of his 2016 Billboard interview might imply that he was asked to leave so Duff could return full time. If you remember any other quotes that would make this list more detailed, feel free to post them and I'll add it here for easier consulting.

I have to hand it to DJ Ashba and Tommy Stinson, they were very mature about the situation.  They had a great run with Guns and accepted the situation. But I imagine it still stung, nobody likes to be brushed aside. 

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 2

I remember at the Golden gods award show in 2014 Axl thanked all members of the band, current and past members. When he said that, I figured something was up. Acknowledging that the past members were important was way different from them being a cancer that was better off removed. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

What were the rumours about duff and slash nailing stinson against the wall?. Wasnt he critical about the whole reunion and said its a cash grab?.

I think it was Pitman that called the reunion a cashgrab on Twitter. He was either fired because of that, or wrote it spitefully after being fired for whatever other reason. 

Never heard about duff and slash nailing any band members against the wall.

5 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

I think it was Pitman that called the reunion a cashgrab on Twitter. He was either fired because of that, or wrote it spitefully after being fired for whatever other reason. 

Never heard about duff and slash nailing any band members against the wall.

Ah yes pitman sorry. I beleive there was a rumour of both duff and slash nailing pitman against the wall.....i think it was prior to when  rehearsals were starting when the band got together for the first time.....i could be wrong.

At least Pitman had the guts to publicly criticise the fact that the band he'd been part of for more than 15 years was being unceremoniously dismantled and Axl was capitulating to the pressure he'd resisted forever. 

I hate the way the CD-era band ended, it just felt so heartless towards the guys who had been in the band for years, like they were just swept aside and dumped like both them and their work meant nothing. I suppose the fact that even one person felt that way means that it didn't mean nothing, but I found it so offputting that it managed to end my interest in my favourite band.

• Like 4

Tommy asked for a leave of absence or to leave the band all together because of the other tours and money he was being offered for the Replacements reunion and other projects. He encouraged the reunion for his sake as much as Axl's. The direct quote from Axl when Tommy told him this was something like "Well what am I going to do without a band?". He also suggested Duff fill in for him in 2014, he wasn't pushed out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

At least Pitman had the guts to publicly criticise the fact that the band he'd been part of for more than 15 years was being unceremoniously dismantled and Axl was capitulating to the pressure he'd resisted forever. 

I hate the way the CD-era band ended, it just felt so heartless towards the guys who had been in the band for years, like they were just swept aside and dumped like both them and their work meant nothing. I suppose the fact that even one person felt that way means that it didn't mean nothing, but I found it so offputting that it managed to end my interest in my favourite band.

Do we know who was pressuring axl to ask slash for his phone number?. I think once axl asked for slashs number thats when the pressure started in terms of what  the plan was with slash back?.The question i really want to know is why didnt axl rstick to whatever artistic vision he had an release cd2 or even 3 during the whole nuguns years then finally succuming  to asking slash for his number going against axls whole guns vision from 06 onwards of not wanting guns to be a legacy band of just playing old songs.

Edited by Sydney Fan

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Merck did an interview about three months ago and said some interesting things:

--------------

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3843-2019-04-26-music-week-ex-guns-n-roses-manager-merck-mercuriadis-talks-slash-axl-s-reunion

“The reunion was always a possibility because Axl [Rose] was open-minded to it," said Mercuriadis. "All he ever wanted was for Slash to apologise for certain things and while Slash was in a position where he maybe didn’t understand that was what was necessary, then the band were never going to come together. 

"But at some point it was inevitable that they would have that conversation and Slash would be able to have his say, because there were things that he wasn’t happy about."

[...]

"Axl was always protective of Slash and the other guys in Guns N’ Roses," said Mercuriadis, who stars on the cover of the latest issue of Music Week. "There were just certain things that he wanted to be put right. They obviously figured out how to put them right and it’s been incredibly successful.”

--------------

I think - I've written it before- it's a misconception (mainly among some fans of the NuGnR era) that Axl's artistic vision was the reason for the band's breakup in the mid-90s and, subsequently, for his refusal to do a reunion. His refusal was mostly because of hurt feelings, ego and stubbornness. 

Some of Axl's actions in the mid-90s played a big role to the breakup, but it wasn't what he intended. He wanted to control the band, not break it up. Whatever vision and musical direction he had in his mind then, it included Slash, and he was hurt when Slash left.

Interesting Blackstar. Im sure ive seen online chats anhd if i go back as far as 06 axls vision was to release the trilogy and he seemed that doing a reunion with any of the past members was the furtherest thing from his mind of where he wanted guns and axl himself to be. I guess just more time was needed to let go of past hurt.

I hope axl does an autobiography at some point because his version of events would be interesting to read.

My opinion the things slash was not happy about, i think was the role of Doug in the band, being the middleman between axl and the rest of the band in terms communication. In which slash discusses a fair bit in his book.

The contracts axl was wanting duff and slash to sign to be just "employees" rather than actual members. I remember when this article came out and it was unfortunate to remember how band ended things....

0702d4262124734aaf315de01427790e.jpg

Edited by Sydney Fan

7 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Do any members here believe the reunion was not motivated largely by Axl’s lack of cash flow?

Yes, I do think that cash was in no way the main reason for Axl to reunite with Slash, Duff and maybe Izzy. I strongly believe that he truly missed those guys, or at least the times they had. Furthermore, I truly believe that Axl heard his clock ticking and he didn’t want to be remembered GNR as the circus act they had been from VMA 2002 onwards in public mind. I think he really wants the be back with a massive „bang“, and that is what he reached. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1