Towelie

Chinese Democracy hasn't aged well IMO

It could very well be that the continuous overplay of the record over the years may have dampened your enjoyment. This happened to me with every Beatles album and Don't Cry in particular when I was a nipper. However I would disagree with it not aging well and while one of the albums faults is the apparent over production, I don't think it lessens the listening experience at all, though I suppose everyone is different. You could even say it's part of it's charm, Duff made note of being surprised with the amount of layers the tracks have and Axl seemed amused by this - I just don't think it hinders it in anyway. Sure, I'd liked to have heard stripped back versions of some of the songs, but a song like IRS I would say is better on the final cut than the previous demos - it sounds fuller. Songs like Better, The Blues, TWAT, Madagascar, TIL and Prostitute are up there with the very best to be released under the bands name in my opinion. I'd chuck in a few others too but feel as if that may be pushing it :lol:

The only times I have been scunnered with the album is when years have passed and still no new music. I don't listen to the album anywhere near as much as I used to, but it still sounds brilliant whenever I fire it on. The Blues should have been massive.

Riad and Scraped I could do without though. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

And?

EDIT: in all seriousness, I agree that the production seems dated on some songs, but not all.

Edited by rocknroll41

Posted (edited)

Fair enough, you can change your mind. I think I always realised that it was not a perfect album, and that it was heavily produced. However, I love it! and I listened to it in full a few weeks back and besides Scraped and Rhiad, I'd stand behind it as one of my favourites. 

We could slip into disagreements about which songs are good and bad, but there's not much point :) If you like it, then great, if not listen to the live versions or a different song.

I have wondered over the years aboyt certain bands and certain albums, and whether or not there is a 'will yourself to like it' thing that happens. I honestly can't give a clear answer on that, but I know what I like and what I dislike and I happily call Scraped a mess of a song, I also think a lot of the leaked material sounded average enough (with a few exceptions). I would say that I gave the record much more of a chance than I would have, had another band released it. It's absolutely not an instant love type record, you have to sit down and listen to it a good few times to get to grips with what is going on. It's not like Back in black where you can listen to it once and conclusively say it's fantastic record. CD is dense, and extremely different in places to anything GNR did before, it's also got a lot of references to the times it was created in. It's a 7/10 record in my opinion.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Even the few tracks that are undeniably great (namely Catcher In The Rye, Better and TWAT) sound over -produced and sterile.

take TWAT, CITR, Better, The Blues and throw the rest into the chute and I'm fine with your opinion.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I think for me, and I suspect other fans too, getting into GNR in the mid-00s was exciting because we were a new generation of music fans discovering those classic albums like Afd and UYI for the first time, and with Axl's new band on the precipice of releasing one of the most eagerly-anticipated albums in rock music history, we all got a little swept up. 

I couldnt agree more getting into GNR in the mid-00's was exciting indeed. the kids my age had no clue who GNR were and when they did they only knew about the obvious hits off AFD. plus we also had the leaks too which just added to the fuel for my anticipation of chinese. not mention all the mystique surrounding the band and album at that time . looking back i can see how i got a lil swept up.

29 minutes ago, Towelie said:

This I Love is embarassingly overwrought and pretentious and songs like Scraped and Riad sound like the kind of b-grade Nu-metal garbage you'd find on a Limp Bizkit album circa 2001.

Certainly could have done without these on the album and my view or taste in this i love has done a 180 from digging it to skipping it on the album.

32 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Even the few tracks that are undeniably great (namely Catcher In The Rye, Better and TWAT) sound over -produced and sterile.

i would have loved a more scaled back final end result of Catcher.

22 minutes ago, Dean said:

Duff made note of being surprised with the amount of layers the tracks have and Axl seemed amused by this - I just don't think it hinders it in anyway

The layers are one thing that stand out to me and remind me whenever the album is playing why i once dug it as much as i did  and still come back to it  

Posted (edited)

Who knows, maybe it was just the place I was in last night? But these days, I swear I hear more GNR spirit in SMKC albums than I do on Chinese. Y'know, sleazy, simple rock'nroll riffs than you can hum, a solid interplay between bass/drums/guitar and a loose live band feel. How many discernable riffs are there really on Chinese that you can actually hum? Maybe the title track, but that's about it. How many basslines can you recall on CD? There might as well not even be a bass player on that album. 87-91 GNR had killer riffs and memorable basslines, stuff like Brownstone, Rocket Queen, Jungle, Coma, Shadow Of Your Love, Move To The City, YCBM... You can instantly recall the riffs and basslines from these songs and they feel fucking great to play when you're jamming on your electric. 

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 4

I like cd this I love is my fave tune off of it also like prostitute better and the others wish hardscool and atlas would have been on it 

Posted (edited)

Didn't sound like a GNR album. Only sporadic listens from me since it came out. 

Edited by moreblack

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I couldn't agree less with your opinion. 

My love of Chinese has nothing to do with the band members or output prior to its release. 

I actually went into the Chinese era very opposed to moving forward without the previous members and driving the sound in New directions. 

Once I heard the new material, I was so glad to be wrong on all counts. Then when I finally got the album, I was and remain very pleased with it. It's still my favorite GNR album. 

Ha, I almost didn't post this thread cuz I knew you'd read it and think less of me. And then I thought "fuck that, I'm not Russ's bitch." ;-) 

Best thing about CD is Ron's playing throughout and the songwriting on Catcher and Better.

Edited by Towelie
  • Haha 3

I still like the album overall, but I wish some of the songs like CitR, IRS, and The Blues sounded closer to the original demos. Other songs, like the title track, I thought were vastly improved since the leaks.

Haha, which one of you twats edited the title of this thread to include "IMO"? Isn't that kind of a given?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Ha, I almost didn't post this thread cuz I knew you'd read it and think less of me. And then I thought "fuck that, I'm not Russ's bitch." ;-) 

Best thing about CD is Ron's playing throughout and the songwriting on Catcher and Better.

Lol! No one should think they can't share their opinion on here! 

Of course, I do happen to agree that Robin is the best part of the album though :)

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Haha, which one of you twats edited the title of this thread to include "IMO"? Isn't that kind of a given?

That was me ;)

Just now, RussTCB said:

Lol! No one should think they can't share their opinion on here! 

Of course, I do happen to agree that Robin is the best part of the album though :)

I said Ron, not Robin!

Although there's no denying Finck's awesome solo on Better. Ah, fuck it, maybe I do still love the damn thing.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That was me ;)

Fucking knew it. ;-)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I said Ron, not Robin!

Although there's no denying Finck's awesome solo on Better. Ah, fuck it, maybe I do still love the damn thing.

Oh... Well I do think that Ron is a great part of the album, but I think Robin is the best part. His Better and TIL solos are ace in my book. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh... Well I do think that Ron is a great part of the album, but I think Robin is the best part. His Better and TIL solos are ace in my book. 

I'm probably just in a mood with Axl for no new music, so I thought I'd create this thread to spite him.

But I still maintain it ain't shit compared to 87-91 Guns.

Edited by Towelie

This whole "It didn't sound like a GN'R album"

well it wasn't meant to sound like  classic GN'R either. 

I'm not replying to anyone in particular, but I've read this sooo many times on different places.. 

• Like 3

Aside some obvious tracks like Shaklers, RIAD, Scraped, etc, I think that album has no place in time, really. We may say, timeless?

It doesnt sound like a 2000s band, it also doesnt sound 80s or 90s, its really unique. 

Its not my favorite GNR album and I could do without it, but dated is one thing I dont see on it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I'm probably just in a mood with Axl for no new music, so I thought I'd create this thread to spite him.

I agree with you.... I didn't have a high opinion of CD when it came out, imagine now, after so long........ but my problem may be somewhere else, that I think all GN'R music is outdated and sucky nowadays :lol:

Well, except for Estranged, Coma and a few others :ph34r:

Anyways, IMO the cons this band has is the lack of material...... too much time between releases gives plenty of room for people to think about it, grow up, grow old, evolve, change their mind and also, the world is not the same.... the world also dictates what kind of music is relevant.... even if we don't like nowadays music, it gets played everywhere so much that when you listen to old stuff you can't help but feeling weirded out :shrugs:

I've not listened to CD in like 4 or 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

ñahh to each their own, I sorta felt something similar to a lot of the classics... TSI for example I can always do without, Lies ain't nearly as great as some made it out to be in the past, even AFD and UYI wich were both some of my all time favorite records growing up just don't interest me as much anymore, perhaps is because I didn't start loving it until a long while after, but I still listen to a lot of Chinese. Prostitute, Catcher, TwaT, Better, SOS, Maddy... I just feel is a great record all around... I do which we had more music to compare it to anyways, which is kinda what it ruins it for me from time to time, half a minute of Hardschool is too little to late, and to be honest the reunion never really interested me as much as some of the guys in this forum.

Also I can't hate on an album that introduced me to two of my favorite guitar players Bumblefoot and Buckethead. Little Brother is Watching is still one of my favorite records from any member of Guns N' Roses